Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Them: "We just wanted to give these street people a place to live and belong!"

also Them: "Yeah we drugged those street people."

JTFC how the people in Wild Wild Country are depicted makes them seem totally sincere and forthcoming, but they also appear to have no remorse whatsoever for any wrongdoing that occured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
We recently got a hulu subscription and have been watching Community and part of me feels bad for never watching it when it was on TV.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

We recently got a hulu subscription and have been watching Community and part of me feels bad for never watching it when it was on TV.
it was a dan harmon thing, it was doomed to fail if it had viewers or not.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Inspector 34 posted:

Them: "We just wanted to give these street people a place to live and belong!"

also Them: "Yeah we drugged those street people."

JTFC how the people in Wild Wild Country are depicted makes them seem totally sincere and forthcoming, but they also appear to have no remorse whatsoever for any wrongdoing that occured.

it's pretty aweosme how, absent any pre-watch knowledge base, it continually turns out that there's no good person anywhere in the story

blocked. blocked. blocked. none of them are free of sin

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We just got a free month of Hulu so I could binge Season 1 of Legion to get caught up for Season 2 starting, my wife could binge Handmaid's Tale, and we could binge Runaways (watched the first two last night) and the Rick and Morty episodes we've never seen together.

Looking through it, there seems to be more of an emphasis on current shows (we already have cable), classic shows ('90s and earlier), and a lot of overlap with material on Amazon Prime, so after we get through all of that, I doubt we'll keep it.

I remember getting a free week on Hulu a few years ago, and they had the full Criterion Collection library. That was how I finally saw Eraserhead. It also had The American Astronaut and Stingray Sam at the time, which I had an impossible time finding anywhere else, and I ended up loving them. It seems like having a selection with so many deep cuts wouldn't last forever, but hey, '70s and '80s sitcoms! I guess some people must be just as excited about those.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 30, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Hulu's content really has been less consistent than I feel it probably should be.

But I've said before though, between Hulu, Netflix and Amazon, there seems to be a pretty big window of content that feels like it has vanished entirely that I seem to recall used to be represented pretty well on those sites. Like anything older than a decade almost feels like it doesn't exist.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://www.hulu.com/tv/genres/classics

Hulu has a ton of old stuff, I've been watching Night Gallery and Alfred Hitchcock Presents lately, and will probably tackle The Outer Limits after that.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo Blood Drive is so stupidly amazing and I'm so bummed it's only one season, but it was a fantastic ride.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it's pretty aweosme how, absent any pre-watch knowledge base, it continually turns out that there's no good person anywhere in the story

blocked. blocked. blocked. none of them are free of sin

I came away unconvinced that Bhagwan did anything wrong. Sure he was kind of a dick for living lavishly off his followers but there's no evidence that he was an active part of any of the crimes committed by Sheela. Sure it's possible he was involved or even the mastermind, but as the commune lawyer said, the government had no evidence of his involvement and basically abused him into signing a confession, which is immoral as gently caress. Whereas Sheela is 100% a sociopath who openly and proudly lies about pretty much everything.

The government and the Oregonians struck me as far more reprehensible than the cultists.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

That is why Wild Wild Country is so great, I feel like I’m getting tons of info, from the interviews and old footage they have included, but the pieces are so hard to put together. Almost like a dream, you think things make sense in your head, but when you look again, nothing adds up.

- The second mayor has no guilt, I have no idea how to read him!
- Sheela gets me every time she pulls back from over the top provocative. When she smiles and gives the impression she is only playing the part of the bad guy, I want to like her.
- But, then I remember she poisoned a town and drugged thousands of people!
- As for the locals, I can see why you might really dislike them. But, imagine having your life completely thrown into disarray by that group. There were times watching it where I was comparing them to MAGA chuds, but this was a different time.
- Also , Bhagwan was really loving creepy when he was explaining why Sheela left. That gave me chills, especially the love audience laughing away as he talked.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Carwash oval office posted:

- As for the locals, I can see why you might really dislike them. But, imagine having your life completely thrown into disarray by that group. There were times watching it where I was comparing them to MAGA chuds, but this was a different time.

I wanted to cheer for the locals when the story began because all I had ever heard about this story was the mass poisoning but I quickly came to the conclusion that aside from having a few hippies wandering around at the beginning, the commune wasn't really impeding the goings on in the town. It was several miles away from the city. The recurring theme of the "complaints" against the commune at the beginning was that they were out there having sex and those old white squares just couldn't handle the thought of all those people out there having orgasms. The townspeople were definitely the aggressors, digging through their trash and trying to get the commune dissolved. That triggered the whole cycle which kicked into high gear when they actually bombed the hotel.

I don't blame them at all for gearing up and trying to present a hard target. Sheela went well beyond that of course but again, I don't know that the commune as a whole should be held responsible for what she did ostensibly on her own with a dozen or so zombie followers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finished Miami Vice, I'm watching The Equalizer. Edward Woodward is great but a very strange choice for a mid-80s action lead. He's a grey-haired Englishman in his 60s.

One of the most striking things is the music, which seemed incredibly familiar to me. I knew Stewart Copeland was the composer for the series, but it's only today that I realised Copeland also composed the music for Spyro the Dragon, which is what it reminded me of. :D

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Unzip and Attack posted:

I wanted to cheer for the locals *snip*

yeah uh, it was like watching Black Panthers / Hippies / Satanic Panic / MAGA play out in real time and frankly, gently caress them, except for the guy who ended up on the city council (bald, green shirt/overalls, I can't remember his name). He legit seemed to be open-minded.

it was also interesting to absorb the film's play with traditional authority vs the cult's perspective throughout.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 2, 2018

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I wanted to cheer for the locals when the story began because all I had ever heard about this story was the mass poisoning but I quickly came to the conclusion that aside from having a few hippies wandering around at the beginning, the commune wasn't really impeding the goings on in the town. It was several miles away from the city. The recurring theme of the "complaints" against the commune at the beginning was that they were out there having sex and those old white squares just couldn't handle the thought of all those people out there having orgasms. The townspeople were definitely the aggressors, digging through their trash and trying to get the commune dissolved. That triggered the whole cycle which kicked into high gear when they actually bombed the hotel.

I don't blame them at all for gearing up and trying to present a hard target. Sheela went well beyond that of course but again, I don't know that the commune as a whole should be held responsible for what she did ostensibly on her own with a dozen or so zombie followers.

I don't really blame the Antelope residents that much for freaking out. It was a town of 50, and then thousands of people show up out of the blue. Plus they started buying up the town, and took over local government. The residents all lived there pretty much specifically because they wanted to be out in the middle of nowhere and to be left alone.

The Rajneeshees though did seem to let themselves get swept up after the hotel bombing. Plus, Sheela was the only one talking to Bhagwwan for a while, and who knows what the hell he actually told her to do. I felt like the only real "cultish" part of the group was everyone surrounding Sheela. The regular commune people seemed to be just trying to live and stay isolated from the outside.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Bird in a Blender posted:

Plus they started buying up the town, and took over local government. The residents all lived there pretty much specifically because they wanted to be out in the middle of nowhere and to be left alone.

The commune only did this after the town tried to have them dis-incorporated. Them "taking over" the town was a legit defensive move- they wanted to have enough votes to prevent being shut down. They had no interest in the local politics until the bigots tried to force them out. And I'm sorry but in America no one has the right to be "left alone" anywhere except on their own land. A bunch of old white racists don't get to just declare their entire county off limits to people different from themselves.

Sheela's faction overreacted to be sure, but the first shot was definitely not fired by the Rajneeshes.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Unzip and Attack posted:

The commune only did this after the town tried to have them dis-incorporated. Them "taking over" the town was a legit defensive move- they wanted to have enough votes to prevent being shut down. They had no interest in the local politics until the bigots tried to force them out. And I'm sorry but in America no one has the right to be "left alone" anywhere except on their own land. A bunch of old white racists don't get to just declare their entire county off limits to people different from themselves.

Sheela's faction overreacted to be sure, but the first shot was definitely not fired by the Rajneeshes.

I thought it was that the commune wanted to incorporate but wasn't allowed to by the state of Oregon because of their religious background. So the commune decided to say gently caress you Oregon by taking over their neighbor town, which was already incorporated.

Ed- but to keep this derail on topic, Wild Wild Country is totally worth the binge.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Dicty Brojangles posted:

I thought it was that the commune wanted to incorporate but wasn't allowed to by the state of Oregon because of their religious background.

The commune was built on land zoned for agricultural use. Although they reclaimed much of the area around the commune and grew most/all of their own food, the Oregonians didn't like them so they tried to have Rajneeshpuram dis-incorporated on the basis that they had "urban" infrastructure. It was an obviously legalistic bullshit argument to mask their bigotry. The Oregon AG also tried to have the city dis-incorporated by alleging that it violated the Separation of Church and State- another bullshit argument given that hundreds/thousands of religious communities exist in the US (Mormons, Mennonites, Amish, etc.)

Basically the commune fought back and won, and the Oregonians threw a collective hissy fit by trying to disband the town entirely, which also failed. If the story had ended there it would have been one of the most hilarious self owns of all time- but then the bombing happened and things spiraled out of control afterward.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Ed- but to keep this derail on topic, Wild Wild Country is totally worth the binge.
The stingers they get at the end of each episode are so good, makes you feel like the stakes are going to be raised to a whole new level.

My favorite side character, besides the local who ends up on the new town council, is the old congressman who speaks out about the bioterror attack. His old man laugh is incredible.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Unzip and Attack posted:

The bombing was not done by the townspeople but by a Pakistani Islamic terror group.

It's a chicken and egg situation but when looking at some of the stuff not in WWC like Sheela having one of her rivals sterilized against her will or the biolab not just making salmonella but also trying to create the AIDS virus that was prophesized to kill 75% of the world the townsfolk were quite right.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Carwash oval office posted:

The stingers they get at the end of each episode are so good, makes you feel like the stakes are going to be raised to a whole new level.

My favorite side character, besides the local who ends up on the new town council, is the old congressman who speaks out about the bioterror attack. His old man laugh is incredible.

I'm only four episodes in, and I'd been waiting for the other shoe to drop with the Rajneeshees. They'd performed this amazing transformation of barren ranchland into an impressive, nearly self-sustaining community. It finally happened when they brought in thousands of up-to-that-point homeless people ahead of the county council vote, drugged them without their knowledge to keep them docile, and promptly kicked them all out when it became clear they wouldn't be allowed to cast votes. It's hard to know how much of this process was put in motion by Bhagwan or done independently by Sheela, but it was the first clear moment to me when the Rajneeeshees went beyond reasonable self-preservation and into typical cult territory.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am obsessed with New Girl and finally made it to the latest season and just learned they are bringing it back for a series send off. :3:

I am surprised to find a show like this to be so funny. It's been consistently great for 6 seasons now!

JB Smoov is coming in this season as Winstons dad I just learned as well which means it should be even better now.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Started watching AMC's the terror and the first 2 episodes are fantastic so far.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

CeeJee posted:

The bombing was not done by the townspeople but by a Pakistani Islamic terror group.

It's a chicken and egg situation but when looking at some of the stuff not in WWC like Sheela having one of her rivals sterilized against her will or the biolab not just making salmonella but also trying to create the AIDS virus that was prophesized to kill 75% of the world the townsfolk were quite right.

Thanks for posting this- seems like the docu could/should have included these!

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Badlands has the standard " everyones power level fluctuates wildly depending on what the plots needs to progress" problems but Nick Frost shows up in the second season and completely owns bones. I'm really excited for the 3rd season.

The first season is just bad on all levels, it feels like a dubbed anime with some old Chinese movie kungfu thrown in. Its entire contents could have fit into a single episode of exposition for the second season. Whoever had the idea of casting Frost was a loving genius, however, and the show picks up in the second season and becomes actually watchable, despite a boring plot, inexperienced actors in several lead roles and the unpredictability whether the same combat action will have severe consequences, or none at all.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Meatgrinder posted:

The first season is just bad on all levels, it feels like a dubbed anime with some old Chinese movie kungfu thrown in. Its entire contents could have fit into a single episode of exposition for the second season. Whoever had the idea of casting Frost was a loving genius, however, and the show picks up in the second season and becomes actually watchable, despite a boring plot, inexperienced actors in several lead roles and the unpredictability whether the same combat action will have severe consequences, or none at all.

Yeah I tried it and stopped almost immediately

Instead I picked up Mindhunter and it is REALLY good.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Finished Wild Wild Country last night. Thoughts on the major groups/characters:

The Rajneeshees as a group seemed mostly harmless in their beliefs. They're basically just free-love New Age hippies with a charismatic leader. It seems like your average Rajneeshee would NOT have been okay with bioterrorism and political assassinations, all the really heinous stuff was committed by Sheela and her inner circle.

Rajneesh himself was probably a bit of a grifter what with his love for expensive jewelry and Rolls Royces, but honestly he seemed kind of detached, tired, and world-weary. Heck, he was not speaking publicly for virtually all of the ranch commune time period. It seemed like he was content to do drivebys and wave, show up at events and dance and give blessings, and that's it. He delegated all the actual responsibility for managing his organization to Sheela and others. I doubt he was involved in Sheela's crimes but probably was involved in shady poo poo with immigration and taxes. Remember the investigative reporter who went to India and found Rajneesh was in trouble for tax and immigration stuff there before they moved to Oregon?

During the Oregon commune time he seems mostly like a frail old man who felt he'd mostly accomplished what he wanted in terms of teaching sannyasins. Like he was a mostly-retired charismatic figurehead for the movement and his pupils could handle changing the world.

The people of Antelope, Oregonians, and justice system were hugely bigoted assholes who arguably started the feud by being dicks and not allowing the Rajneeshees to incorporate their commune. Those dirty foreigners are coming over here with their SEX and they're evil and creepy and tools of Satan sent to destroy ARE CHRISTIAN AMERICAN VALUES. I wasn't surprised to see that from the rural locals and satanic panic news media, but it was really gross to hear the US attorney and state attorney general saying basically the same thing. They'd already decided the Rajneeshees were evil criminals before they started their investigation.

Sheela was the real villain. Holy poo poo, she showed zero remorse for severely poisoning hundreds of people and attempting political assassination. Not to mention wiretapping all the major buildings at Rajneeshpuram and retaliating against anyone toward whom Bhagwan showed some favor. She's a power-hungry sociopath who would do anything to maintain her position as de facto leader of the Rajneeshees. I doubt the Bhagwan was much involved with the poisonings and assassinations, it's possible but it seems like that was mostly Sheela and her inner circle.

It was definitely an interesting watch. A friend recommended it to me as a documentary about a weird sex cult where this old Indian guru was sleeping with all of his adoring female followers. I guess that might have happened? But it certainly didn't come up in the documentary, there was nothing about him personally being a sex creep or sexually exploiting his followers at all.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Pellisworth posted:

it was really gross to hear the US attorney and state attorney general saying basically the same thing. They'd already decided the Rajneeshees were evil criminals before they started their investigation.

The one line from the series that really made me angry was when the US attorney talked about how the court reporter said Bhagwan reminded them of Ayatollah Khomeini. Not just because the comparison is absurd but because he obviously thought it was some sort of serious evidence that the man was an evil criminal. It's a loving travesty that pieces of poo poo like that have any power in America, let alone that level of power.

Not to say that much of the stuff Sheela said didn't anger me, just that people like him are supposed to be held to a higher standard.

Also I agree pretty much 100% with all your points/thoughts.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

The one line from the series that really made me angry was when the US attorney talked about how the court reporter said Bhagwan reminded them of Ayatollah Khomeini. Not just because the comparison is absurd but because he obviously thought it was some sort of serious evidence that the man was an evil criminal. It's a loving travesty that pieces of poo poo like that have any power in America, let alone that level of power.

Not to say that much of the stuff Sheela said didn't anger me, just that people like him are supposed to be held to a higher standard.

Also I agree pretty much 100% with all your points/thoughts.

I cruised through the Wiki article on Bhagwan and one interesting point: apparently he developed diabetes, asthma, and a bunch of allergies when he was in Mumbai in the early 1970s, and he gave daily discourses for 15 years prior to the move to Oregon. I think that helps reinforce my impression that he was very frail physically and mostly checked out / detached from actual operation of the Oregon commune.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Pellisworth posted:

I cruised through the Wiki article on Bhagwan and one interesting point: apparently he developed diabetes, asthma, and a bunch of allergies when he was in Mumbai in the early 1970s, and he gave daily discourses for 15 years prior to the move to Oregon. I think that helps reinforce my impression that he was very frail physically and mostly checked out / detached from actual operation of the Oregon commune.

no wonder Bill the Cat fell in with him

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Started watching AMC's the terror and the first 2 episodes are fantastic so far.

Ya it looks great so far, I've read the novel it's based on. It is doing a great job of giving that exact vibe of despair and fear of the unknown the novel has.

E: Also haven't watched Wild wild country yet but Bhagwan in Hindi is the word for God. But I have actually seen some Hindus have that name but it is not common.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It is likely not a popular opinion but I have been watching Impractical Jokers and have been really enjoying them.

Anyone else like them ?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It is likely not a popular opinion but I have been watching Impractical Jokers and have been really enjoying them.

Anyone else like them ?

IJ is great, you can tell they're all friends and that makes it. I just don't like the NCAA/sports related recap poo poo, and that "behind the scenes guy is so weirdly cringey for a guy who seems to be a friend/has some sort of connection to the main cast? Guy just has this vacant smile, creeps me out.

But the main guys are great.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Gifted is better than I thought it was going to be. It's not great, and there are a few dumb flubs like how they portray video games and why Polaris has full makeup in prison, but it's more entertaining than I expected and it's cool seeing some of the tertiary X-Men characters we might not get in movies until after the Marvel merger's complete.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

While it may not be a tv show I’ve been consuming Mike Nelson’s 372 pages I’ll never get back podcast. It’s basically him and another riffer reading through Ready Player One and just making GBS threads all over it. It’s great if you hated the book as much as I did.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

IJ is great, you can tell they're all friends and that makes it. I just don't like the NCAA/sports related recap poo poo, and that "behind the scenes guy is so weirdly cringey for a guy who seems to be a friend/has some sort of connection to the main cast? Guy just has this vacant smile, creeps me out.

But the main guys are great.

In terms of punishments, so many are loving brutal.

The metal concert
The food court shushing
The kids art class

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I don’t think it counts as binging since it’s one episode per week, but the new Joel McHale show on Netflix is like having The Soup back but with swears and that makes me so happy l

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I don’t think it counts as binging since it’s one episode per week, but the new Joel McHale show on Netflix is like having The Soup back but with swears and that makes me so happy l

The japannese drama with the bus :lol:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The japannese drama with the bus :lol:

That was amazing. Also the lady who casually said a whole family of rats could live under her boobs.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm about halfway through Penny Dreadful season 1 and its pretty drat good

I cant believe i missed this for so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Trig Discipline posted:

Counts as binging for me since I just caught up with it. It's great to see him doing this again.

I love how they do bits that they know are really dumb but just go full ham on them so they end up being funny anyway.