Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alobar posted:

edit: I absolutely hate any sort of "rule" or suggestion that it's rude to talk about how much money everyone's making. You know who came up with that bullshit? The motherfucker making the most loving money.

Yeah, they told us this at Fuzzy's too. However, it's not my fault someone in prep told me they'd gotten a raise without even asking for one. It's also not my fault I heard other people discussing their checks. The fact that they didn't want us to discuss it meant that some of us were getting loving screwed. Once I actually got to look at a friend's check and knew for absolutely certain that line cooks were getting 9.50 base while I was getting 8 for washing dishes, I got real salty.

I mean, I don't understand why they don't just pay everyone in the kitchen 9 or 9.50. If you don't, you're just ensuring that once they figure it out, the good workers are going to come at you demanding raises. I happened to be the very first person that did it, but I'm not gonna follow their lovely rule about not talking about our wage because that's just there to help them exploit their workers. I don't think everyone is going to be able to go up to the bosses and say 'I'm worth more, give me more' though, because they aren't anywhere near as essential as I am and they don't work anywhere near as hard. But that decision is between them and the bosses and I think they should have to tell them that they aren't worth more to their faces, rather than just never have to deal with the question at all.

That said, it's also an opportunity for them to gain some serious loyalty with their workforce. It meant a lot to me that they heard me out, agreed, and coughed up the raise and now that I'm at 9+tipshare(usually another dollar) to wash dishes at a taco shop almost next door to my house, with management that I like and I feel respects me, I'm feeling loyal as poo poo to the company. (~10 an hour, while still lovely, is pretty drat good for a job like this in mississippi)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hauki posted:

Speaking for myself and probably many others, there’s a specific reason I chose to cook for poo poo pay rather than take an actual Desk Job.

It’s the easy access to party culture/drugs and promiscuous sex with like-minded people.

A Man and his dog posted:

^^^ Yeah, down here in the Bible Belt mine is give me all yo monies religious people.

And business is a booming!

I’m in the Canadian Bible Belt and I am doing the resto close shift tonight. Let’s make it happen.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

The Maestro posted:

I’m heading in in an hour to bartend. So many bloody Marys. I hate making bloody Marys. Ready for war

So make a few quarts of mix? Then it’s just glass>booze>ice>top with mix and either roll in a tin or give a quick stir. Same as a high ball.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

It’s the easy access to party culture/drugs and promiscuous sex with like-minded people.

Nah, I'm not much for party culture and I like committed relationships with like-minded people.
I'd just rather keep moving a lot of the time and I enjoy having some physical aspect to my work.

Thanks for the info. about computer janitoring but as much as I'd like to open up another career path, I'm not sure that's something I could swing any time soon. I'd have to start out at a minimum of $25/hr to continue supporting my mortgage etc. and I don't have any hard experience/certifications there, so...yeah.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Pretty sure it's super illegal to tell people they arent allowed to discuss their compensation with coworkers.

Pretty sure it's also super annoying when servers bitch to the kitchen that they're only walking with $200 cash after tipping out support from their 5 hour shift, so we recommend they don't do that.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
We're normally closed Sundays, so we should have been super closed on a holiday Sunday, but we agreed to do a buffet for our landlord and 40 of his friends and family. Asked my kids for volunteers to help (or run it so I didn't have to be there), my apprentice who wants to learn and do everything was all over it, so the two of us ran the kitchen to get a buffet set up for these fuckheads, then he cleaned up a bit and I ran the FOH (didn't have any real FOH in, they didn't want to pay a bartender or anything and wanted to just clean up after themselves and the owner agreed since it's the landlord?) while they ate some food and drank some booze. Apparently no one in my poo poo-stick organization (meaning the owner who agreed to do this or the catering manager who figured out the details) actually asked the question "When the gently caress are you going to leave?". Buffet was put out at 1:45, restock done at 2:10, everyone fed to contentment by 2:45. I sent my apprentice home so he could go have Easter dinner with his family and figured I'd just run some dishes while I got my ordering done for Tuesday and poo poo, maybe have to make another pot of coffee or refill some ice buckets or whatever, then bounce. Nope. I'm sitting here writing this post while sitting on a prep table in my kitchen at 6:05. It was about 4pm when someone came and asked me "Can we put on our own music? WE NEED TO GET THIS PARTY STARTED :hurr:". I'm not even making any money because we also let them bring (and serve) all their own alcohol, so I'm literally sitting here with nothing to do besides all the poo poo that always needs to get done but gently caress if I'm cleaning shelving on Easter Sunday when I was told I was only going to have to serve these idiots food and leave.

Gonna sit here and wallow in my can of lovely beer (if I go out and pour myself anything from the taps then they'll start wanting beer and I'm not about to open up that loving can of worms) and leftover ham and mashed potatoes and hopefully these idiot fucks will pack their poo poo up and leave soon.

Call Me Maybe is playing right now. What the actual gently caress.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Turn the lights off.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
no no flick them on and off rapidly

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

So make a few quarts of mix? Then it’s just glass>booze>ice>top with mix and either roll in a tin or give a quick stir. Same as a high ball.

Well, yea, that’s standard brunch procedure. It went super smoothly and it wasn’t a hassle. Still hate making them though. Maybe that’s just because I usually work nights and it’s a pain when somebody orders one then.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
e: misread that entirely, disregard

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
We did 9k for brunch and another 3k after that. Holy poo poo that was rough

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Well, yea, that’s standard brunch procedure. It went super smoothly and it wasn’t a hassle. Still hate making them though. Maybe that’s just because I usually work nights and it’s a pain when somebody orders one then.

Sometimes there's just a random thing at work you hate doing, whether it's difficult or not.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

JawKnee posted:

no no flick them on and off rapidly

Thats a good way to get a drunk dance party started. Drunks are like birds, turn the lights off and they all just go to sleep.

Sold $57 dollars today and was there three hours for a twenty top that turned out to be like eight people. My closing cocktail finally bought me a drink and sent me home out of pity. :v:

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Any of you guys brine your fries?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
No but I've brined potato chips and they were good

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was at work for 11.5 hours, because our new executive chef hasn't done the room service breakfast yet. So he wanted me there in case he needed help with something.

It was pretty dead. We did about 400 tickets for the day. Which is average, busy is over 500. Still, worked out for me. More money is good. OT at 21/hr is nice and helpful.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

Sometimes there's just a random thing at work you hate doing, whether it's difficult or not.

I loving hate picking thyme. Hate it with an all consuming passion.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

odinson posted:

Any of you guys brine your fries?

I’ve brined them before in a salt solution and also an spl solution.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

empty whippet box posted:

Yeah, they told us this at Fuzzy's too. However, it's not my fault someone in prep told me they'd gotten a raise without even asking for one. It's also not my fault I heard other people discussing their checks. The fact that they didn't want us to discuss it meant that some of us were getting loving screwed. Once I actually got to look at a friend's check and knew for absolutely certain that line cooks were getting 9.50 base while I was getting 8 for washing dishes, I got real salty.

I mean, I don't understand why they don't just pay everyone in the kitchen 9 or 9.50. If you don't, you're just ensuring that once they figure it out, the good workers are going to come at you demanding raises. I happened to be the very first person that did it, but I'm not gonna follow their lovely rule about not talking about our wage because that's just there to help them exploit their workers. I don't think everyone is going to be able to go up to the bosses and say 'I'm worth more, give me more' though, because they aren't anywhere near as essential as I am and they don't work anywhere near as hard. But that decision is between them and the bosses and I think they should have to tell them that they aren't worth more to their faces, rather than just never have to deal with the question at all.

That said, it's also an opportunity for them to gain some serious loyalty with their workforce. It meant a lot to me that they heard me out, agreed, and coughed up the raise and now that I'm at 9+tipshare(usually another dollar) to wash dishes at a taco shop almost next door to my house, with management that I like and I feel respects me, I'm feeling loyal as poo poo to the company. (~10 an hour, while still lovely, is pretty drat good for a job like this in mississippi)

Realtalk, a lot of good workers have bought into the whole Mike Rowe 'suck it up, getting paid poo poo is worth the honor of Working Like A Real Man' bullshit, and won't even ask. Or they're afraid they'll get fired if they do.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

pile of brown posted:

Mine is making bacon. Absolute no brainer, it's just tedious and dealing with ten flaming hot sheet pans at a time and then cleaning ten absurdly greasy sheet pans because we do our own dish with no machine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

For me it was making buttercream.

It was the second easiest frosting ever, after cream cheese (which is two ingredients and a mixer), but it bugged me for no explainable reason.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm about to cater a funeral reception for an acquaintance from the restaurant across the street who was alive and well a week ago when we catered a shower for his unborn kid

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

poverty goat posted:

I'm about to cater a funeral reception for an acquaintance from the restaurant across the street who was alive and well a week ago when we catered a shower for his unborn kid

God that sucks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

poverty goat posted:

Jesus christ, that is going to be some dark poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus christ, that is going to be some dark poo poo.

Thrift, thrift, Horatio

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Mine is making bacon. Absolute no brainer, it's just tedious and dealing with ten flaming hot sheet pans at a time and then cleaning ten absurdly greasy sheet pans because we do our own dish with no machine.

Cleaning pots and braising pans in which ground beef has been burnt onto the bottom with, I think, godzilla's radioactive fire breathe, is my current nemesis. Or any pot that was used for something that begins with a roux, so approximately 2 solid inches of burnt loving flour are on the bottom. I politely asked prep to stir their poo poo every now and then a few days back and it's been happening less often though, because I showed them what the bottom of the pot looked like after I scraped a spoon against it for 15 straight minutes to get that poo poo off.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Cleaning pots and braising pans in which ground beef has been burnt onto the bottom with, I think, godzilla's radioactive fire breathe, is my current nemesis. Or any pot that was used for something that begins with a roux, so approximately 2 solid inches of burnt loving flour are on the bottom. I politely asked prep to stir their poo poo every now and then a few days back and it's been happening less often though, because I showed them what the bottom of the pot looked like after I scraped a spoon against it for 15 straight minutes to get that poo poo off.

Jeebus, you need my km. Being a southern breakfast joint, we're regularly making vats of grits and white sausage gravy, and God forbid she catches you not stirring that pot... Anything with cream or a roux or some such, you gotta stir that poo poo constantly, not every now and then.

Even at my brutal dish job for the army, where we contractor dish folk were the puppies that privates liked to kick, they upheld a "you burnt it, you wash it" policy. Maybe approach your bosses with that? It tends to make cooks a little more attentive to stirring and watching the pot when they're the ones wrenching a steel wool.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Jeebus, you need my km. Being a southern breakfast joint, we're regularly making vats of grits and white sausage gravy, and God forbid she catches you not stirring that pot... Anything with cream or a roux or some such, you gotta stir that poo poo constantly, not every now and then.

Even at my brutal dish job for the army, where we contractor dish folk were the puppies that privates liked to kick, they upheld a "you burnt it, you wash it" policy. Maybe approach your bosses with that? It tends to make cooks a little more attentive to stirring and watching the pot when they're the ones wrenching a steel wool.

Well, as much as that policy might make sense, I don't like doing anything that could be perceived as just me not wanting to do my job. They've been somewhat better about it since I said something, but if it gets bad again I'll probably have a conversation with someone above them about it because it does actually seem rather wasteful to me. We make really huge pots of enchilada sauce, for example, and the amount I've scraped off the bottom and sides has been absolutely absurd a few times. That has to account for at least some waste product, and I refuse to believe that it's unavoidable.

The worst part is honestly how badly I have to gently caress up the bottoms of these pots, no amount of steel wool or industrial strength cleaner will get it off, it's honestly metal scraping metal or nothing. They were brand new less than 2 months ago! :(

Oh man, just remembered - one of the km's was caught selling adderall to an emloyee a few nights ago, because he absent mindedly left his loving bottle of it in the office with the door open and someone else stole 14 pills from it :lol: Stories like that just remind me that all I have to do is be patient, and people above me will get fired, quit or leave because of stupid poo poo as time goes on. I do drugs, sure, but like, not at work, and I'm not such a fuckup that I'd leave my drugs laying around or get caught selling them to an employee. He did not get fired, also, just told 'keep that poo poo somewhere else'.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 2, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Well, as much as that policy might make sense, I don't like doing anything that could be perceived as just me not wanting to do my job.

My chapped-hand comrade: if they are sending you back pots that are burned, they aren't doing THEIR job

Saw that at the DFAC too, when I'd bitch at a sergeant about some private not following the "you burn, you clean" rule, and that's when they'd get the message that said private was loving up the food as well.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah if you scorch a roux, you just skunked a whole batch of cream sauce. That bitter, cough-inducing acrid smell when you're doing your bit with the scouring pads? everything that came out of that pot tastes like that. The KM or CdC needs to know that.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
you should just come out of the dish pit swearing profusely and wildly waving the pot in the air. they'll get the message

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I'm a fan of asking the cook who burned it to eat it if they're not going to clean it. Granted we don't really have that problem here since 90% of cooking happens in a combi or kettle, both very hard to burn things in. Though the cafe CdP has a loving hard on for making cheese sauces in the tilts, and I have no loving idea why.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah if you scorch a roux, you just skunked a whole batch of cream sauce. That bitter, cough-inducing acrid smell when you're doing your bit with the scouring pads? everything that came out of that pot tastes like that. The KM or CdC needs to know that.

Gonna second this. Had this happen at work today even. We have a new guy who's already proven quite competent and helpful, but he burned either the milk or his roux, so a few gallons of cheese sauce for mac n cheese went to waste. Not a big deal, and he's still a good kid. I did the same thing one of the first few times I was doing prep for our room service line, it happens.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Manuel Calavera posted:

Gonna second this. Had this happen at work today even. We have a new guy who's already proven quite competent and helpful, but he burned either the milk or his roux, so a few gallons of cheese sauce for mac n cheese went to waste. Not a big deal, and he's still a good kid. I did the same thing one of the first few times I was doing prep for our room service line, it happens.

The problem isn't when people gently caress up (especially for a first time), the problem is when the fuckup doesn't get fixed and it affects customers or other employees. That's what I tell all my guys. I'm pretty forgiving if you gently caress up the cheese sauce or do a hack job on garnish in the afternoon when we're prepping, I'll go through and show you how to not gently caress it up next time, no big deal. If I find out about it at 7pm on a Thursday when I go to grab my backup from the walkin and now I have nothing to serve when I'm half the restaurant deep in chits, I'm going to come down on you like the fury of a thousand suns.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've now lost 34 pounds since the restaurant opened almost 6 weeks ago. (lost 62 total since december, also)

Washing dishes burns hella calories.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Congrats dude (I'm assuming you're a dude) - the hard part is keeping it off.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I struggled with weight loss until I got diagnosed with ADHD and was prescribed Adderall XR.

Amphetamines: I've never been so productive, now let me get back to making sure EVERYTHING is at a 90 degree angle.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I struggled with weight loss until I got diagnosed with ADHD and was prescribed Adderall XR.

Amphetamines: I've never been so productive, now let me get back to making sure EVERYTHING is at a 90 degree angle.

Wanna help me move?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naelyan posted:

The problem isn't when people gently caress up (especially for a first time), the problem is when the fuckup doesn't get fixed and it affects customers or other employees. That's what I tell all my guys. I'm pretty forgiving if you gently caress up the cheese sauce or do a hack job on garnish in the afternoon when we're prepping, I'll go through and show you how to not gently caress it up next time, no big deal. If I find out about it at 7pm on a Thursday when I go to grab my backup from the walkin and now I have nothing to serve when I'm half the restaurant deep in chits, I'm going to come down on you like the fury of a thousand suns.

Yeah it got fixed. I tasted it, told him it was burnt, and double check with the sous just to be sure/so it's not on my decision. Even if it was just some milk and cheese as the expensive waste. He took it in stride, although a 14 hour day may have done a bit to help there. But he's a good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

one of our km takes adderall all the time and man, I wish he'd chill out on it. He came back to 'help' me finish dishes today when I absolutely did not need help at all; basically jumped in front of me after I'd organized everything and got it ready to actually run through, and said poo poo like 'this is the easiest loving job in the restaurant' right to me. Like, motherfucker, when did it become OK to come to people who are finishing a shift, covered in dish water / crud, sore feet, sore arms from scrubbing, and say their job is 'the easiest job in the loving restaurant'? Furthermore why does anyone think some poo poo like that is cool to say to someone who does it for a living? If you think dishwasher is the easiest job in a high volume kitchen then you are a loving idiot. Oh wow prep has to slice and dice vegetables and sometimes combine ingredients. Oh yeah, that's definitely super hard. Expo puts forks and poo poo on plates and matches tickets to numbers. So hard!

Truth is he was just speeding his nuts off, didn't have anything to do on line for a minute, so he came back to bother me and act like he's king poo poo of gently caress mountain. gently caress off and let me do my job.