Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

It’s only one key more than the Model F and M 122s. I think the keys look better on the 122, but I could see people wanting a macro pad built in to their regular 101-key.

I suppose it’s more economical to get a 122-key M, but maybe not? The weirder Ms get expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

pgroce posted:

It’s only one key more than the Model F and M 122s. I think the keys look better on the 122, but I could see people wanting a macro pad built in to their regular 101-key.

I suppose it’s more economical to get a 122-key M, but maybe not? The weirder Ms get expensive.

It's like that guy who made a bona-fide hyper 7

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My ancient MS Natural is being lovely again and doesn't register YU,HJ,NM keys half the time. I'll probably fix it again by re-doing the traces but I want to consider other options as well.

In the best case I'd just get an M13 with the trackpoint but those are almost impossible to find. I definitely don't want any crazy RGB poo poo or extra keys beyond maybe volume controls so the options seem to be somewhat limited. The Zalman K700 looks decent but has Red switches which seem useless, most tactiles are Brown which you guys say suck. What about the Romer-G as in the Logitech G413? That looks pretty inoffensive.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

My ancient MS Natural is being lovely again and doesn't register YU,HJ,NM keys half the time. I'll probably fix it again by re-doing the traces but I want to consider other options as well.

In the best case I'd just get an M13 with the trackpoint but those are almost impossible to find. I definitely don't want any crazy RGB poo poo or extra keys beyond maybe volume controls so the options seem to be somewhat limited. The Zalman K700 looks decent but has Red switches which seem useless, most tactiles are Brown which you guys say suck. What about the Romer-G as in the Logitech G413? That looks pretty inoffensive.

Brown would still be my choice over reds or blues. Romer-G seem weird, I've never felt them, but I just read they're a dampened tactile switch with high reliability which appeals to me.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

If you like it, why not just get another MS natural for $35 bucks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

Brown would still be my choice over reds or blues. Romer-G seem weird, I've never felt them, but I just read they're a dampened tactile switch with high reliability which appeals to me.

Browns feel kind alike old terminal boards. My favorite switch so far.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Okay, so I like the feel of my g710 with the blue switches, had it for years, but I'm over the racket it makes. I never used any of the extra poo poo on the keyboard like those macro buttons or media keys or "gaming mode," and a minimalist one that's comfortable for gaming would be nice but I'm not too picky about layouts or size as long as it's comfortable (but not that ergonomic curve).

My main concern is minimizing the sound and maintaining the tactile feel, if possible. I'm not really into going full bore customizing my own keyboard and don't really want to spend a whole bunch of time on a build or anything, so something working out of the box is preferred. Are there any decently tactile quiet keyboards with kinda the same feel and, if possible, somewhere between 150 and below? I might wait and save up a bit for a pricier one if it gets me there.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
You sound like a good candidate for a keyboard with Matias Quiet Click switches.

I do not know the quality of the KBParadise boards, but they're probably fine. You could also go for the OG Matias Quiet Pro, which is known to be good quality.

Full disclosure: I do not have any experience with this switch, but it was one I had considered making my daily driver at work. I ended up settling on Cherry MX-compatible switches due to the large variety of custom keycaps available. Unfortunately not a lot of Alps mountable sets out there.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 4, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

Ugh I guess I'll have to go to the physical store and check it out :effort:

ColHannibal posted:

If you like it, why not just get another MS natural for $35 bucks.
That's certainly an option (though in that case I might as well fix my current one) but I thought I might be suffering from Stockholm syndrome so I wanted to give mechanical keyboards a try.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What's the best easily available keyboard with clear switches under $200? Anything better than a good ol' CODE? Just sanity checking before I buy.

e: I should add that I don't give a drat about anything but how it feels to type on and how long it will last under heavy use, and that it will see office use so gaudy backlighting would be a bug not a feature.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 4, 2018

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Typed on a WYSE KB-3926 today. It was a rubberdome keyboard but a really heavily weighted one - it felt like a Razer Ornata with the mecha-membrane keys (. But what made it weird was the weight - it was the heaviest rubberdome I've used since the old Key-Tronic 2000's and weight like two pounds at least.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Eric the Mauve posted:

What's the best easily available keyboard with clear switches under $200? Anything better than a good ol' CODE? Just sanity checking before I buy.

e: I should add that I don't give a drat about anything but how it feels to type on and how long it will last under heavy use, and that it will see office use so gaudy backlighting would be a bug not a feature.
Alongside the CODE the bog standard WASD might be the go, since there's no backlighting and Clears are readily available for it. Either would be good if you want to dress it up (or down) a little with a different keycap set since the function row are 1.25u all the way with the "normal" length spacebar.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Yeah, if you don't give a gently caress about backlighting the regular WASD board with Clears would be the way to go, you could even get it Barebones for $115 and then add whatever keycaps you want to it. Or just get custom abs keycaps and put literally whatever the gently caress you want on them. The also have some decent doubleshot ABS options and a few fairly plain PBT ones.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just went through this same thought process for my first mechanical keyboard with clear switches and I ended up going with a Ducky One. It was significantly cheaper then the Code or WASD, I liked the dedicated media keys on the Ducky, and it leaves Code open for if/when I want to buy Zealios like an even bigger nerd.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
is there a decent successor to the G15 or anything along similar lines out? i just got reminded of how insanely loving sick my old G15 (long dead to water damage) was and I'd really like if there's a new and well-supported keyboard along similar lines, that backlit display was the coolest poo poo ever.

e: apparently Logitech makes a new one called the G19S, but it's kind of a bastard trying to find a list of games that it works with; the Wikipedia one seems kinda out of date except for having Borderlands 2 and CS:GO on it.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 6, 2018

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I've had a Leopold keyboard with Cherry Brown switches for going on seven years, but I'm curious abut these new switches that are out there (MOD, Zealios).

Can you buy a keyboard with those switches already installed, or is the only option to solder them yourself? I'd like a new tenkeyless but I'm not super keen on DIY

mewse
May 2, 2006

beepsandboops posted:

I've had a Leopold keyboard with Cherry Brown switches for going on seven years, but I'm curious abut these new switches that are out there (MOD, Zealios).

Can you buy a keyboard with those switches already installed, or is the only option to solder them yourself? I'd like a new tenkeyless but I'm not super keen on DIY

GMMK TKL barebones has hot swap terminals for the switches so you can install them without soldering. It's barely more difficult than installing keycaps, only because you have to be careful not to bend the pins on the switch. It's got :catdrugs: RGB lighting too

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Has anyone shipped keyboards through the mail before? I'm trying to figure out a rough estimate of sending a keyboard with USPS. Using their normal package dimension shipping calculator it's between $15-$20 to ship across country. Does that sound right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I shipped a Model M back to Unicomp (from PA to KY so not far) via UPS and it cost about $15. A lighter keyboard cross country is probably going to be $20-ish.

You wouldn't believe how savagely UPS handles packages (and FedEx is even worse) so if you're going to ship an expensive keyboard make sure it's packaged very VERY securely.

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYRVp3cYVg4

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Content rated NC-17 for language. I laughed though, and agree that even cheap-rear end rubber domes are better than the top (bottom?) 5 with regards to binding. That poo poo infuriated me too for some reason. Tried hitting the corner of any key of this Logitech K120 and it's all good.

e: That Azio (Exibel-branded) MGK-1 with Kailh Browns I bought a month or so ago turned out to be utter crap. The switches were scratchy as hell, every key felt like it had its own random bump point, and the LED lighting failed in spectacular ways after two days (the top alphanumeric row failed to light up, the mode where only the hit key should light up lit up the key above it, etc) so I returned it.

It might be that they were made with surplus old-stock crap Kailhs from before they were considered good enough. I decided I like blues better anyways, so I'm saving up for a WASD or Cooler Master with blues of some sort. I really want ANSI layout for coding though so I probably have to order from abroad to get it since all the webshops here have the CMs in ISO layout :(

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 7, 2018

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I wonder if GMMK will ship to you. You can then get Kailh BOX Navy switches for some really good clicking action, according to a lot of people in the community.

I am assuming you are in Europe somewhere, but CandyKeys has Kailh BOX Navy in stock.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/durgod-taurus-k320-tkl-mechanical-keyboard

4 days left. I hopped on it, Friday.
My buddy ordered one the last drop and it just arrived.
It is a very nice keyboard. I love the profile. Super stable. The feet and grips are amazing. The whole thing feels solidly built.
The keycaps it comes with feel real nice too.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Would there be any market for a keyboard rental business? Keyboards seem so hard to test aside from being able to use on for a few days, so if a service existed that let you try a keyboard out for a couple of weeks for a fixed fee then swap it out for another, like the original physical DVD Netflix model, would anyone use it?

It seems like the alternative now is to buy the keyboard, then return it if you don't like it.

It sounds like the risks to this model would be the expensive costs of shipping the keyboards all over the place and that they could get destroyed in transit, as well as not having control over how they're treated by the renter.

What other holes can be poked in this idea?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Would there be any market for a keyboard rental business? Keyboards seem so hard to test aside from being able to use on for a few days, so if a service existed that let you try a keyboard out for a couple of weeks for a fixed fee then swap it out for another, like the original physical DVD Netflix model, would anyone use it?

It seems like the alternative now is to buy the keyboard, then return it if you don't like it.

It sounds like the risks to this model would be the expensive costs of shipping the keyboards all over the place and that they could get destroyed in transit, as well as not having control over how they're treated by the renter.

What other holes can be poked in this idea?

A lot of people won't want grimy keyboards used by other people. Being able to use a switch for a while before buying it is a good idea, I just don't know if mailing the same keyboard to a number of people will get anyone to want to buy one.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/durgod-taurus-k320-tkl-mechanical-keyboard

4 days left. I hopped on it, Friday.
My buddy ordered one the last drop and it just arrived.
It is a very nice keyboard. I love the profile. Super stable. The feet and grips are amazing. The whole thing feels solidly built.
The keycaps it comes with feel real nice too.

Yeah I've been using this thing for a week or so. The picture on massdrop makes the caps look blueish on the Space Gray but they're most definitely gray. I put some thick o-rings on and it now feels much better to use than my Corsair K70 at home. This thing is a great board for $70.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
I'm sure this stick has beaten the dead horse quite thoroughly earlier in the thread, but I'm really struggling so I figured I'd ask.

I'm having a really hard time deciding whether or not to go for clear or browns in my next keyboard. I know goons and people in general rave about clears. Thing is I've only ever used browns and reds, so I don't know if the clears will be too heavy? The keyboard will be a smaller form factor and will primarily be used at work and when I travel.

I know it's super subjective and not really possible to answer with a post. I dunno, just looking for some general input to help me make up my mind I guess? :shobon:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Go with clears for the bigger tactile bump then if the stiff springs are intolerable, swap them for softer ones

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Rexxed posted:

A lot of people won't want grimy keyboards used by other people. Being able to use a switch for a while before buying it is a good idea, I just don't know if mailing the same keyboard to a number of people will get anyone to want to buy one.

The service would be more for letting people get a feel for a certain switch or keyboard, but when they choose to buy one they would buy it on their own and not from the rental place, unless they really wanted to buy a used one.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

mewse posted:

Go with clears for the bigger tactile bump then if the stiff springs are intolerable, swap them for softer ones

I'd caution against this advice because the only way you can swap springs on a mainstream board is to desolder the switch off the PCB.

There are switch-top compatible plates (basically a plate where there's gaps on the 4 sides) so you can pop it open without desoldering. But those are mostly only found on custom keyboards. Like below:

With that said, I'm not one to recommend browns so, uh, go for clears?

Hummer Driving human being posted:

The service would be more for letting people get a feel for a certain switch or keyboard, but when they choose to buy one they would buy it on their own and not from the rental place, unless they really wanted to buy a used one.

I don't know, the service is definitely nice to have, but I just don't see it being worth it for both the business and the end-user. As a business, you're probably better off having a decent return policy I think. Seems like a niche service for an already very niche hobby.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 9, 2018

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I know there’s fundamental differences between the two, but are there any MX switches that feel similar to Topre? I’m waiting for the Realforce RGB TKL to debut (sometime this year, hopefully) before I move on from my Corsair with Blues, but now I’m kinda curious if all of these MX-based boards that I’m ignoring might offer a passable electrocapacitive experience in one of the lesser-known MX colors.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

IAmKale posted:

I know there’s fundamental differences between the two, but are there any MX switches that feel similar to Topre? I’m waiting for the Realforce RGB TKL to debut (sometime this year, hopefully) before I move on from my Corsair with Blues, but now I’m kinda curious if all of these MX-based boards that I’m ignoring might offer a passable electrocapacitive experience in one of the lesser-known MX colors.

Halo/Hako Trues are supposed to have a force curve modeled after the feel of a Topre board. Not exactly something you can buy easily right now though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MiTo SA Pulse is on Massdrop again... https://www.massdrop.com/buy/pulse-sa-keycap-set

I was interested because it's Race3 compatible ... however covering it would cost $227 USD :lol::lol::lol:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm looking for a keyboard that's 10 keyless or smaller as long as it has dedicated arrow keys, Cherry Brown or equivalent tactile non-clicky switches. It also needs to connect to two devices (e.g., USB + Bluetooth) and can be hotswitched. My use case would be to have it on my desk connected to my computer (via USB or Bluetooth), and with a flip of a switch/key-combo switch the input into my iPad (via Bluetooth). It doesn't need to be wireless so no battery is needed, but I don't mind if it does. It would never leave my desk so it doesn't need to be portable.

Does such a keyboard exist or is this something that I'm gonna have to learn how to draw circuits for to make?

e: Something like this discontinued chiclet keyboard, but with cherry browns.

e2: Alternatively a dongle that provides this functionality would work too.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 10, 2018

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

teethgrinder posted:

MiTo SA Pulse is on Massdrop again... https://www.massdrop.com/buy/pulse-sa-keycap-set

I was interested because it's Race3 compatible ... however covering it would cost $227 USD :lol::lol::lol:

Even for a basic TKL, it's about $120, assuming only alpha and mods, and that just sounds crazy to me for ABS.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I used to be a PBT > * type, but those Signature Plastics double-shot ABS caps are really great.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

G-Prime posted:

Even for a basic TKL, it's about $120, assuming only alpha and mods, and that just sounds crazy to me for ABS.

ABS does not always equal poo poo. Yes, the ones used by OEM manufacturers by gaming companies and even WASD are pure garbage. ABS quality from SP and GMK are fantastic and I'd take them over Chinese made PBT sets as well like EnjoyPBT and whoever makes the XDA caps.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I recognize that not all ABS is complete garbage. It's a personal preference thing. I like that PBT is a little more resistant to the oils and friction of your fingers so they don't develop a shine as easily. It's a personal preference, not an objective fact. Signature Plastics makes quality caps. And honestly, I really like that set conceptually. For me, personally, it seems crazy. I could deal with ABS if I really was into the colorway and profile. However, I'm not into spherical, and it's ABS, so it isn't a good fit for me. I should have clarified that, I suppose.

Edit: SP could make this same set in PBT with colors they already have available, and I would put serious consideration into buying it, despite the spherical tops. SA profile isn't my preference, but I can't deny that it's a decent profile.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 10, 2018

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Considering finally putting together an endgame board. Anyone who has used Kailh box navies, is it a significant jump from Cherry MX clears? I've seen the force curve and I know it's about a 10g difference but it's hard to judge exactly how different it'd feel. I'd be putting 1-2-3-4-3 SA ABS caps on it so the weight might affect the difference too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

internet celebrity posted:

Considering finally putting together an endgame board. Anyone who has used Kailh box navies, is it a significant jump from Cherry MX clears? I've seen the force curve and I know it's about a 10g difference but it's hard to judge exactly how different it'd feel. I'd be putting 1-2-3-4-3 SA ABS caps on it so the weight might affect the difference too.

It’s a very big jump. If you’ve been struggling with clears, they are deffo not your steeze. That said if you’ve been wanting a more tactile clear that likes to also yell, navies might hit that sweet spot for you.