Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

This cropped up the other day: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-mitsubishi-j53-jeep/

With two days left, it's already at $5600; any guesses as to where it'll end up? Based on what I've read in this thread, it seems like the importer should have at least $5-6k into it already? Wonder where they set the reserve.

There's 4 hours left on this, it's at $6100 and I'm thinking about asking the wife if I can take a poke at it.

Edit: a 1992 imported 6 months ago means it should be solidly legal, right? Or... that's exactly 25 years, so he has to import it prior to the month of manufacture, right? Wish he'd put paperwork in the ad.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's not unlikely that the vehicle was actually manufactured in 1991 too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Pham Nuwen posted:

There's 4 hours left on this, it's at $6100 and I'm thinking about asking the wife if I can take a poke at it.

Edit: a 1992 imported 6 months ago means it should be solidly legal, right? Or... that's exactly 25 years, so he has to import it prior to the month of manufacture, right? Wish he'd put paperwork in the ad.

I didn't read too closely on that ad but make sure they've got that entry Summary sheet. Doesn't really matter how old it is without that.
And yeah if the year of the thing is 1992 then it is absolutely age legal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wish he'd put paperwork in the ad.

A vocal minority have been lobbying BaT for that and getting deaf ears.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

A vocal minority have been lobbying BaT for that and getting deaf ears.
I'm assuming that it might cause people to be less likely to bid on stuff, and BaT make their money on commission?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I'm assuming that it might cause people to be less likely to bid on stuff, and BaT make their money on commission?

Yeah. Not saying it isn't calculated on BaT's part, but it's pretty lovely given the rep they're trying to build.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I didn't read too closely on that ad but make sure they've got that entry Summary sheet. Doesn't really matter how old it is without that.
And yeah if the year of the thing is 1992 then it is absolutely age legal.

Found the importer's Facebook page, got his phone number, called him up. He said he's got all the import paperwork and that it was manufactured early December 1992. He bought it in September, it stayed in Japan for a few months, spent a few weeks in Panama, and he says he brought it into the US on its birthday. Here's the post from when he bought it mentioning how it can't come in until December: https://www.facebook.com/oldskoolimports/posts/356477281448929

It's got a Texas title which I guess is better than a Florida title, and it looks like he's imported quite a few vehicles... the Facebook page and my phone call at least make it seem like he plays by the rules. Guess I'll watch the auction and see if I want to bid.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Did you ask him if he volunteered the paperwork to BaT, and they just didn't care?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

kimbo305 posted:

Did you ask him if he volunteered the paperwork to BaT, and they just didn't care?

They didn't ask or want the paperwork on the Hijet I had even though I offered it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What a joke. At least it lets them loop the other way on the illegal stuff like that 2009 Canadian GT-R. None of the illegal ones have sold, so the policy hadn't been tested yet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just throwing this out there, but for 6k you could get a decent TJ Wrangler that's going to ride and drive ten times better than an old Jeep design with leaf springs all around.

I'm looking to get a jeep as well and looked into the Mitsu Jeeps, but it's just not worth it unless you want something quirky, there are so many YJ/TJ Wranglers available there's no point getting an import copy of an old design imo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just throwing this out there, but for 6k you could get a decent TJ Wrangler that's going to ride and drive ten times better than an old Jeep design with leaf springs all around.

I'm looking to get a jeep as well and looked into the Mitsu Jeeps, but it's just not worth it unless you want something quirky, there are so many YJ/TJ Wranglers available there's no point getting an import copy of an old design imo.

"Diesel"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Here in NM, 90% of the state doesn't need emissions tests but Albuquerque does, and getting a seller to take it to a smog place is a real pain in the rear end. Anything 1983 or older is exempt, good Jeeps of that vintage seem to run about $7k on craigslist here, so I figured if I could get this diesel one (also smog exempt) for $7k it would be a reasonable deal.

I have a feeling it's gonna go over $7k and I've told myself if it goes past that, I'll go back to watching craigslist. I really ought to broaden my search a bit... Arizona's probably got plenty of motorhome-towed Jeeps being sold by the children of their deceased owners.

Edit: also I really like the old design, and the decals on this thing are pretty compelling. DIESEL

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 3, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Pham Nuwen posted:

Here in NM, 90% of the state doesn't need emissions tests but Albuquerque does, and getting a seller to take it to a smog place is a real pain in the rear end. Anything 1983 or older is exempt, good Jeeps of that vintage seem to run about $7k on craigslist here, so I figured if I could get this diesel one (also smog exempt) for $7k it would be a reasonable deal.

I have a feeling it's gonna go over $7k and I've told myself if it goes past that, I'll go back to watching craigslist. I really ought to broaden my search a bit... Arizona's probably got plenty of motorhome-towed Jeeps being sold by the children of their deceased owners.

I hope that $6500 is you and that you are gonna own an actually interesting Jeep.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
UK guys, there's a risky looking Delica for £350 in Harrow...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's not going to make it ride any better lol.

Just saying, you may want to drive an old jeep like that before you buy one if you haven't already.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

I hope that $6500 is you and that you are gonna own an actually interesting Jeep.

No, I'm waiting and watching a bit longer so that fucker Enterprise has less time to re-bid if I put a bid in. So far he's re-bid pretty much every time someone put in a bid, and I have a feeling his upper limit might be higher than mine.

Edit: vvv my jeep plans involve bad roads and dead deer, but at least it looks like the back should rinse out pretty easy.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 3, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Pham Nuwen posted:

No, I'm waiting and watching a bit longer so that fucker Enterprise has less time to re-bid if I put a bid in. So far he's re-bid pretty much every time someone put in a bid, and I have a feeling his upper limit might be higher than mine.

He's probably gonna bubbafuck it into a mall queen, don't let it happen!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

InitialDave posted:

UK guys, there's a risky looking Delica for £350 in Harrow...

Sounds Harrowing

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jeep went for $10250 which seems kind of high. I was thinking it would end around $8k. It's a nice vehicle but you also have to import engine parts and such.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

That's not going to make it ride any better lol.

Just saying, you may want to drive an old jeep like that before you buy one if you haven't already.
Considering he's looking at it I don't think how it rides is very high on his list as long as it rides correctly. There is a whole level of ~exclusivity~ to drive something like a Mitsubishi Jeep rather than a normal jeep that everyone's seen before and (at least for me) that's a large part of the draw. Cross shopping a normal Jeep that everyone's seen before to a weirdo diesel one based on the first Jeeps made, by Mitsubishi is a totally separate thing.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Jeep went for $10250 which seems kind of high. I was thinking it would end around $8k. It's a nice vehicle but you also have to import engine parts and such.

Of course I'd say it but importing parts and things isn't that big of a deal as long as you aren't only driving your one (1) import. I do but I have more than one so :v:

That's about the price I'd expect for a Mitsu Jeep to go for over here in that shape. I can't imagine the original dude paid more than 3-4k in Japan for it based on everything I've seen. I can see myself importing one later and then I'll have a real idea of what the cost is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Considering he's looking at it I don't think how it rides is very high on his list as long as it rides correctly. There is a whole level of ~exclusivity~ to drive something like a Mitsubishi Jeep rather than a normal jeep that everyone's seen before and (at least for me) that's a large part of the draw. Cross shopping a normal Jeep that everyone's seen before to a weirdo diesel one based on the first Jeeps made, by Mitsubishi is a totally separate thing.

But he has been looking for a regular Jeep for awhile now, that's why I brought it up to begin with. I don't think his goals were to have a weirdo import Jeep, so in that case I don't think it's worth the price (10k lol) if all you want is a Jeep to tool around in off road or to go hunting or whatever.

I considered a Mitsu Jeep for a second until I saw how much they are selling for, not worth it imo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
PZ Cruiser and Liteace are road legal, took them out for the first times this afternoon.

Liteace is just a fantastic all around vehicle. Took it out to lunch and grocery shopping and boy with those skylites popped up and all the windows open you get a perfect amount of wind because it doesn't smack you around since it can vent up through the 'skylite' roof.
Did notice though that it idles a little high and has a hard time getting started once it's warmed up. Pulled apart the air filter hose ducting and took a look. Idle screw way out and butterfly valve bar zip-tied to prevent it from closing. :argh: I don't blame the previous owner so much as whoever prepped the van for sale, cheap and easy to get it to run well enough.
Guessing there is a sticky valve somewhere, I set the idle correctly but the idle climbs up about 1000 RPM when you mash the throttle and let off. You can push the butterfly back open but only under throttle to get the idle to settle back down. Then it got dark so I put it all back together to mess with it later.
Also I've been saying the wrong engine the whole time, it has a 2Y-U in it, not a 3Y-U, not that it makes any practical difference.

Also took the PZ Land Cruiser out today to pick up some stuff and it's light years ahead of the Rugger in terms of comfort. Not as fast off the line but faster once it gets going. A lot more comfortable, a lot more stable (even if the wheelbase is shorter) and a lot quieter. Boy do people get excited about it too, like sure the Rugger people think is cool but a "Land Crusier diesel?!?" and it's like dudes between the ages of 20- 45 lose their goddamned minds.
The Cruiser just feels so much more solid and better than the Rugger that I think I'm going to keep the Cruiser for a while and sell the Rugger. Then later when we get the Hilux we'll see what happens since now my other half is all about the Liteace.

I get why aussies love their Land Crusiers and I just drove across town.

Edit the Cruiser's leaf spring bushings in the front are shot too, so there is a clunk as the springs shift from the left to right as you drive and they clunk on hard as broken rubber. I have a set of 24 on order.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 4, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I have seen a TJ wrangler with the 1HD-T 4.2L turbo diesel from an 80 series stuffed into it here in Australia if your after a quirky diesel Jeep

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

I have a set of 24 on order.

:wtc: was there a min order or are you just replacing them on all of them?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Larrymer posted:

24 would be all of them, front and back. Energy Suspensions tends to sell them in complete kit form and it's highly likely that's the brand he went with.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

Yeah I'm replacing all of them. The fronts are really bad so the other ones aren't long for this world either. I'm going to be underneath the truck loving with leafs anyway might as well make a day of it :toot:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Might wanna invest in some sort of press, Harbor Freight has them cheap.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BaT has this reasonable but tricksy habit of doling out cars that have similar audiences one after another. Maximizing interest level but never overlapping so as to maximize bidding.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-jeep-cj3/

This one you'd have to import yourself. Maybe only upside is LHD?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

BaT has this reasonable but tricksy habit of doling out cars that have similar audiences one after another. Maximizing interest level but never overlapping so as to maximize bidding.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-jeep-cj3/

This one you'd have to import yourself. Maybe only upside is LHD?

If I'm going to get a jeep with a never-available-in-the-US diesel engine I'm going to get a Japanese one, not a Spanish one... "overnighted parts from Spain" doesn't have quite the same ring to it and I'd probably be saying it more frequently than with a Mitsubishi engine.

Edit: It's a loving cool jeep though, and if I lived in Europe I'd be looking at putting in a bid since parts would be presumably be easier to get.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 4, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I was walking around the other day and came across a Delica Autobot:

Rusty as hell though, it's been here awhile.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
dang that Delica looks BOSS!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So is there any way to search for sold vehicles on Japan Car Direct, or do I just have to leave open the auction sheet for whatever I find interesting? I'd like to get an idea for what these Mitsubishi Jeeps are selling for, looks like a decent (3.5/4 score) one usually starts bidding around $1k.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

:hellyeah:
Maybe if I can manage to kill this plant first.

All but the rear-most ones, from the outside those are the ones that actually say 'Skylite Roof'. I bet the airflow is pretty great.

Thanks for talking about the plastic repair stuff for the steering column cover. I've seen that happen a lot on these, the plastic must get brittle and not like people's knees bashing into it all the time. Most of the pieces are there, held together in a tape matrix. I've ordered a Plastex larger kit 'cause I think I've got more than 17 inches worth of cracks to repair. There is some breaks in some other trim plastics in the rear.

Awesome.

Plastex is good stuff, and their applicator is pretty ingenious to prevent clogs. I just wish their sales outlets didn't feel so shady.

I don't know why this makes me so happy.

quote:

EDIT

AOL Key Word: Gorilla Special

Would.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Pham Nuwen posted:

So is there any way to search for sold vehicles on Japan Car Direct, or do I just have to leave open the auction sheet for whatever I find interesting? I'd like to get an idea for what these Mitsubishi Jeeps are selling for, looks like a decent (3.5/4 score) one usually starts bidding around $1k.

'Sales Statistics' although I'll usually bookmark anything I find interesting in a non-USS auction and then check it the next day to see what something sold for. USS auctions don't share pricing and some houses seem to only share the sold price for a little while, then blank it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Riding the high of becoming a bitcoin thousandaire, I am having serious trouble not considering buying a HiJet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Riding the high of becoming a bitcoin thousandaire, I am having serious trouble not considering buying a HiJet.

:getin:

The J70 Cruiser is too strong so now I have the Rugger up for sale. It kinda sucks I guess but since the problem is 'Oh no I have too many cool trucks dang' it really isn't that bad.

Facebook Marketplace flagged the ad though and was all like "OH NO LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE TRYING TO SELL AN ITEM WE DON'T ALLOW"

It's pronounced 'RUG ER' not 'Rooger' :argh:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Facebook Marketplace flagged the ad though and was all like "OH NO LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE TRYING TO SELL AN ITEM WE DON'T ALLOW"

It's pronounced 'RUG ER' not 'Rooger' :argh:

Are you gonna relist without mentioning the model? I feel like people searching RHD or diesel will get enough eyeballs on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

kimbo305 posted:

Are you gonna relist without mentioning the model? I feel like people searching RHD or diesel will get enough eyeballs on it.

Maybe, there is a little form thing to fill out if you think there has been a mistake. If that takes longer than 24 hours or so yeah I'll just relist it without the model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think I saw a Nissan Figaro in Seattle today.