Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was one of the people who could easily see the rainbow effect on plasmas so that was something that took a lot to get used to.

Also, line bleed was certainly an issue depending on model. I watch a lot of animation and that reared its ugly head quite a bit on my 55ST50. And if course, there was the bight screen buzzing.

OLED pixel response time is actually too fast in a lot of cases and it creates its own motion artifacts. The eye can get tricked on pans into thinking the image is jumping backwards in flashes. It's relatively minor though. Uniformity also tends to not be perfect either, just in different ways than LCD.

I'm a sucker for black uniformity and viewing angle so OLED readily wins. That said, I'm still regularly taken aback by how good even my older 1080p W900A looks on some content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It does a voltage thing if you physically turn the tv off at the switch rather than the button on the remote after a certain amount of time (you can hear a definite ‘click’). I used to do it every so often when it was new, but can’t say what benefits I got from it. Nothing immediately apparent anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's only on the older ones. 2016+ runs the 10 minute compensation cycle after turning off after 4 hours of runtime no matter if you use the remote or button in the TV.

Every 2000 hours it runs the longer 1 hour cycle that your can invoke from the menus.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

I was one of the people who could easily see the rainbow effect on plasmas so that was something that took a lot to get used to.

Didn't realize this was even a thing, going on a bit of an AVS Forum rabbit hole now learning about it.

I'm fairly sensitive to DLP rainbows and have seen them on all of my projectors to some level or another, but had never seen anything similar on a plasma.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It's very hard for me to see a rainbow on my plasma. If I dart my eyes around on a really high contrast scene I can maybe catch it but it's not something I normally see. My brother used to have a DLP and the rainbow effect was really bad on it.
Line bleed is easy to see on cartoons that have solid black next to solid colors. I've never noticed it watching anything live action, but I'm sure it's there.

Speaking of burn in we've been playing a lot of BOTW and the red hearts leave temporary IR but they haven't burned in at all. I normally run the TV's built in sweep that clears IR. It goes away after a few passes. My wife and kids never bother to do that though and they play a lot more than me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

rtings has their review of the X900F up.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f

Essentially, it's a X900E (right down to the limited number of full function HDMI ports) with slightly better response time, slightly higher peak brightness, and will be getting Dolby Vision support.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

bull3964 posted:

Essentially, it's a X900E (right down to the limited number of full function HDMI ports) with slightly better response time, slightly higher peak brightness, and will be getting Dolby Vision support.

Ugh sony for fucks sake just put four full hdmi 2.0 ports in there you jerks. It wouldn't be so bad if one wasn't also the arc HDMI port. Oh well.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 31, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

havenwaters posted:

Ugh sony for fucks sake just put four full hdmi 2.0 ports in there you jerks. It wouldn't be so bad if one wasn't also the arc HDMI port. Oh well.

"Sony Electronics would far prefer you buy an overpriced Sony receiver if you desire more full-bandwidth HDMI ports, because...well, gently caress you, that's why." :smug:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Worse response time on 1080p

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have a TCL Smart TV with a built in Roku and TV Tuner. I can scan for antenna channels via the Roku menu but the problem is if a channel has a low signal it pretends it no longer exists and I can't even manually go to it. But when I look at the hide/show channel configuration that channel is listed and I can preview it and the video/signal is just fine but the TV refuses to let me view it.

Anyway to stop Roku from not displaying low signal channels? I have to keep moving the antenna and rescanning for channels until it finally shows up again.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Get a better antenna.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I thought I could hold out until OLED's were under 2k, but DirecTV is broadcasting The Masters in loving 4k this week so it might be time to upgrade my Samsung 1080p plasma finally.

So, between these two, Sony 65" X900E or Vizio 65" M Series which would be best for

Broadcast TV through DirecTV which is normally 720p, rarely 1080p and what looks like the occasional 4k broadcast.

Movies streamed through my plex library which is currently all 1080p media but if I get the 4k TV it'll start being 4k content.

That's it basically, this is my main living room TV so no gaming and most likely no streaming through any apps as my plex library covers everything.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Would the Vizio even be compatible with the DirecTV 4K app?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oppo announced they are ceasing operations and the collective meltdown on AVS is something to behold.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was actually looking at the Oppo UDP-203 for when I get a OLED this summer. What is a comparable UHD player with all the Dolbyvision etc bells and whistles? Also, are UHD region free? I know there's some Japanese movies I'd like to look at getting.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I was actually looking at the Oppo UDP-203 for when I get a OLED this summer. What is a comparable UHD player with all the Dolbyvision etc bells and whistles? Also, are UHD region free? I know there's some Japanese movies I'd like to look at getting.

The Cambridge Audio CXUHD is an OEM version of it. That said if they were depending on OPPO for support who knows what’s going to happen in the future. I think UHD discs use the same region coding as blu ray but I’m not sure. I know there were hardware mods for the Oppos but again, who knows what’s going to happen there.

e: Apparently the CXUHD is going away as well. There's modded Sony X800s on Amazon/eBay but nothing guaranteed to work.

qirex fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 3, 2018

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Rastor posted:

Would the Vizio even be compatible with the DirecTV 4K app?

They are broadcasting the 4K streams over their 4K cable box this year, so no app needed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So, uh, who's the presumptive alternative to Oppo once HDMI 2.1 comes along? Sony (and Samsung) seem to be doing a lot of weird stuff with adware on their TVs afaict.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't think we'll be seeing external players with HDMI 2.1, there's no point.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I just realized if I upgrade my TV to 4k, then I'll have to get a 4k capable receiver as well. My TV is mounted in my living room and all my components are in a closet in another room. I have 1 HDMI feeding from the receiver to the TV from that closest and I'm pretty sure my 5+ year old Denon receiver won't pass 4k through it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

mattfl posted:

I just realized if I upgrade my TV to 4k, then I'll have to get a 4k capable receiver as well. My TV is mounted in my living room and all my components are in a closet in another room. I have 1 HDMI feeding from the receiver to the TV from that closest and I'm pretty sure my 5+ year old Denon receiver won't pass 4k through it.

You dont HAVE to upgrade your receiver. Plus it probably has better built in apps anyway for 4k poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I ended up replacing my receiver with one that does 4k pass through because I wanted to watch 4k disks. Basically the only reason.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

You dont HAVE to upgrade your receiver. Plus it probably has better built in apps anyway for 4k poo poo.

I won't be using any apps. The TV is strictly for DirecTV and my Plex library for which I have a dedicated machine, that's connected to my receiver lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You can connect your plex directly to the TV then audio return to your receiver.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

You can connect your plex directly to the TV then audio return to your receiver.

This just opens up a whole new can of problems of having to get back up into my attic and running more cables. It looks like less than $300 will get me a decent 4k receiver, might have to look into that too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah if you're not worried about the cost, a new receiver works great. Just remember you need 4k compatible HDMI cables, so you might be running into your attic anyways.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea, if these are long distance runs you may need new cables, especially if you do HDR/4k from a ps4 or xbone

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, if these are long distance runs you may need new cables, especially if you do HDR/4k from a ps4 or xbone

It's around 20-25' if I had to take a quick guess.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

mattfl posted:

It's around 20-25' if I had to take a quick guess.

Thatll be a wait and see then. See if you get blackouts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I had to replace my 6 foot cables to get poo poo to work. Granted they were pretty old.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sony isn't doing adware, there's "suggestions" but they're pretty generic and you can turn all of it off. Samsung has both ads and suggestions and it's impossible to turn off either.

I'm probably going to get a Sony X700 when I see some cheap UHD discs, fact is that blu-rays look really good on my X900E, I think better than the 4k/HDR streaming from Netflix or Amazon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm probably going to buy the X700 to replace my Philips player once the Dolby Vision update is out and stable.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

I don't think we'll be seeing external players with HDMI 2.1, there's no point.

Variable refresh rate could be beneficial to most video players simply for not requiring a resync to change refresh rates when playing content with different framerates. Most external players I've used default to just sticking at 60 because a lot of people don't like having everything resync when changing content.

AFAIK Dolby Vision content will make use of the dynamic HDR feature, as can HDR10+. Not sure about HLG. Either way there are already UHD Blu-Rays that could benefit from the new protocol.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Neither HDR10+ nor Dolby Vision require hdmi 2.1 for dynamic meta data though. They work fine with HDMI 2.0b.

For discs, you get one sync change to switch to 24fps when the movie starts so not that big of a deal. For streaming content, very few content providers care to stream at the correct framerate always, so you might as well keep it on 60hz. The industry has consistently shown that they don't give enough of a poo poo to do proper frame cadence.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is this a good inexpensive soundbar to pair with the upcoming TCL 6 series if we’ll be sitting 10 feet away from the TV? https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/378279

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

My 50LN5700 LG TV just died and appears to be not worth fixing so I am looking for a new one. The main feature I want is the built-in ability to connect to a DLNA server and stream files, mostly mkv containers but also some xvid/etc, from my Synology NAS*.

Can anyone confirm that all the current LG smart tv's still do this without any problems? It looks like they also have Plex and Sling clients built in (or at least available). Any other brands worth considering? I guess I'm currently debating between a 55" LG OLED and a cheaper ~50" normal LED smart TV.

*My LG TV played pretty much everything and I never had a problem with it, but I also have a Sharp TV that for some ridiculous reason will only play a MKV off a USB stick and not over the network, so I just wanted to check before I buy something.

Edit: Just came across TCL and Hisense with a Roku interface built in - I am guessing those would be a way better option for a basic TV that can play everything over a local DLNA server?

Droo fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 6, 2018

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Has anyone seriously looked at the C8s yet? I picked up a 55" C8 on Sunday after my 2011 Panasonic died. I'm seriously thinking of replacing it with a 65" while I can still exchange for store credit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hughlander posted:

Has anyone seriously looked at the C8s yet? I picked up a 55" C8 on Sunday after my 2011 Panasonic died. I'm seriously thinking of replacing it with a 65" while I can still exchange for store credit.

No one ever wished they had gotten a smaller tv

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I find it hard to justify the price increase between a 55 and a 65, and the 55 is an EXCEPTIONAL set, but if the extra $1000 or whatever is firmly in your budget then by all means knock yourself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Cobalt Viper posted:

I find it hard to justify the price increase between a 55 and a 65, and the 55 is an EXCEPTIONAL set, but if the extra $1000 or whatever is firmly in your budget then by all means knock yourself out.

It's very easy to justify - you will probably regret getting the smaller one in a few years and find an excuse to upgrade. Like Don posted, no one ever got a TV and said "oh man that's way too big, lets take it back". It's going to last quite awhile so might as well enjoy it with zero regrets.