Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I had to take a break from the game last night. I have been having goddamn pirate dreams all weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Its really good a /looking/ threating tho. The first time i was pootling around and noticed the water going black underneath me was such a good and scary moment. My s/o's first time she was practically yelling at the screen, but its always felt a little underwhelming if you have the cannonballs to deal.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Welp, gamepass free trials should be running out starting now, how many people are still playing this?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

A Moose posted:

Welp, gamepass free trials should be running out starting now, how many people are still playing this?

Considering I've already put like 60 hours or something into it and I'm still not bored I'm just buying the drat thing today.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

A Moose posted:

I'm staying, didn't even get the game pass tbh. Bought it out right cause i saw the pubbie tears in it before i even had it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The community for this game is something precious :allears:

Brave redditor 'calls out' the boosted legend, declines to include the part right after the video cuts off where he calls Prod1gyX a a human being for having a bunch of Marvel stuff in the background of his stream.

Rare have said they're apparently addressing all this pirate legend furor sometime this week and I'm sure no matter what they do, Reddit will have a spectacular meltdown about it and I can't wait to watch the trainwreck continue.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Reddit is the best part of this game. Sea of Dweebs

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I know Rare has said in the past that what we’re fighting now in regards to the Kraken is like it’s first stage and as time goes on the Kraken will evolve into something that’s harder and harder up to the point of possibly its body rising to the surface. Which would kind of make sense. With everyone being new and fighting the Kraken being up to chance pretty much being inexperienced with a buttload of treasure only to have your poo poo wrecked by an encounter you didn’t start would suck. The Kraken evolving to be harder and harder as players become used to mechanics makes sense design wise

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

A Moose posted:

The other night on discord I think we had 4 galleons of goons going at once, so that's like 16 people at the same time. During the "peak" I think we had six galleons was the most i saw, which was 24, so I mean it's likely player numbers have dropped but you can always find someone to play with on he discord and the instances are still full (or as full as they ever were).

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Yeah there’s multiple boats every evening, and usually at least one or two in the daytime in the discord. I bought the game outright from the start and I don’t regret it.

But then, I’m a No Mans Sky apologist so what do I know.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah if anything the number of goons playing this has gone up based on what I’ve seen for Discord activity. I personally want to go for pirate legend even though I’m a dad gamer these days with limited playtime. The ghost armor looks sick. I’m also excited for future content updates for the game that won’t come in the form of playerbase-segregating DLC.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
The first and only time I saw the kraken was just a minute after joining a random galleon of spanish speakers, we didnt have many cannonballs and it kept grabbing people, and I was yelling in my microphone ¡AYUDAME!, but my microphone is super bad and I got no help :(

So you can sail away from the kraken? I had no idea what was going on but it was pretty exciting and fun, it took down our ship.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Second time I saw the kraken it held us back while the crew we had been harassing over a pirate fort for about two hours got away just after the doublecross, so really it was just an equalizing force and stopped the villains from winning.

It’s still poo poo but I can accept it does good things for stories about the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On a scale of 1 to 10 Jack Sparrow's where would this story rate.

I solo slooped over to a skeleton stronghold and shot some holes into a galleon parked there and shot myself onto the island just as my boat sinks to the skeleton cannons and arrive just in time for the crew to kill the captain of the stronghold and get the key, at which point I shoot all of them and find where the third tried to hide the stronghold key and then swim into the ocean away from the stronghold until I reach some rocks after expending all my ammo and bananas fighting off sharks with a sliver of health left and wait for nearly half a hour on these rocks as I watch the galleon return and anchor at the island trying disparately to find where I might of hid the key.

After half a hour of watching them later a friend logs on to help, after they sailed away we rolled up to see if we could loot the place but they came out of hiding watching the island closely and sailed right over, I jumped out and swam back with the key to the hiding spot while my friend drove the sloop and led them on a pointless chase towards another galleon.

At which point the kraken attacks my friends sloop and the chasing galleon boarded him in the middle of the kraken sinking his ship in a vain hope to find the missing key, all the while I still have the key on the hiding spot, my friend had to go to deal with some real life obligations to help someone move for awhile, which left me waiting a bit on the island for the heat to die down, 10 minutes later I find that same galleon park at the stronghold to see if the doors were opened while they were gone and then they sadly sailed away.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 3, 2018

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
How did the friend end up on the same server?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

This game is a lot of fun. Last night, the galleon I was on:

- Sunk a galleon that attacked us as we minded our own business. They grabbed a chest off our ship and we made them pay for their hubris.
- Sunk another galleon that attacked us as we left an outpost (??).
- Drew the hot white anger of a sloop that had a ton of treasure on it before we raided and sunk them. He used a whole lot of nasty slurs so it’s like we were doing the world a favor.
- Harassed a galleon at a skull fort, distracting them as they finished off the boss so one of our players could steal and hide the key. Came back a few minutes later to collect all the booty.

It’s really good to catch up with old friends and be dicks to pubbies. Also, combat driving a galleon is my new favorite thing.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

KillianLett posted:

How did the friend end up on the same server?

you can join games in progress through the xbox app. lobbying at the start is not a requirement.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

no_funeral posted:

you can join games in progress through the xbox app. lobbying at the start is not a requirement.

But you do have to set sail with the "small crew" option right? I tried to join a friend who had launched with "sail alone" and I only had the option to invite/join an xbox live party.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
This game is good. I have a ton of fun playing it, more than I've enjoyed pretty much any game I can remember over the last several years

At some point you have to just admit it instead of trying to downplay it to keep the frothing retards at bay.

I'm not even going to include some "but it does need more X" conciliatory nonsense - I don't give a poo poo - the game was totally worth $60 as is and I've been enjoying it far more than I enjoy some boring triple A poo poo like shadows of mordor that I only spent maybe 5 hours on before I put down.

Choke on my fatty

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

For any poster who doesn't understand the importance of the Kraken's danger, you haven't lived until you've just gotten through a Stronghold with multiple aggressive parties, getting all the treasure onboard and making the haul while opposing ships come running and then THAT rear end in a top hat shows up.

It either turns out under one of the galleons coming after you and you can dance and sing and make for the outpost. Or, its under your galleon, and you get to fight off appendages while every galleon and sloop in town comes over to try and cannon you, which is what happened last night. I also took my first trip in the Kraken's mouth today, which was a learning experience; not dangerous, but it definitely removed me from a moment where I really would have liked to be on the deck. Fortunately, we got loose and hauled rear end and the ship that was attacking us got too close and fell into the Kraken.

Nine times out of ten, my Kraken experiences revolve around Strongholds, its like they can smell the excitement.

I'm sure that, in our time, we will see more. Different strongholds would be nice, to occupy the forts that haven't been used, yet. More sea monsters would be amazing, especially if they are part of a map expansion (or map remix, we need to end players routine island association). It would be even better if there were treasures/missions associated with murdering the Hell out of them.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

oswald ownenstein posted:

This game is good. I have a ton of fun playing it, more than I've enjoyed pretty much any game I can remember over the last several years

At some point you have to just admit it instead of trying to downplay it to keep the frothing retards at bay.

I'm not even going to include some "but it does need more X" conciliatory nonsense - I don't give a poo poo - the game was totally worth $60 as is and I've been enjoying it far more than I enjoy some boring triple A poo poo like shadows of mordor that I only spent maybe 5 hours on before I put down.

Choke on my fatty

:hai:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

VendoViper posted:

But you do have to set sail with the "small crew" option right? I tried to join a friend who had launched with "sail alone" and I only had the option to invite/join an xbox live party.

I used the small crew option to start, but the random guy I was with decided it was a good time to suddenly leave the game just before I stole the stronghold key by myself, so had my friend join.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Choke on my fatty

what a strange post

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Choke on my fatty

This post unironically owns.

Paging nopantsjack for his game defender psychoanalysis hot take.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

For any poster who doesn't understand the importance of the Kraken's danger, you haven't lived until you've just gotten through a Stronghold with multiple aggressive parties, getting all the treasure onboard and making the haul while opposing ships come running and then THAT rear end in a top hat shows up.

It either turns out under one of the galleons coming after you and you can dance and sing and make for the outpost. Or, its under your galleon, and you get to fight off appendages while every galleon and sloop in town comes over to try and cannon you, which is what happened last night. I also took my first trip in the Kraken's mouth today, which was a learning experience; not dangerous, but it definitely removed me from a moment where I really would have liked to be on the deck. Fortunately, we got loose and hauled rear end and the ship that was attacking us got too close and fell into the Kraken.

Nine times out of ten, my Kraken experiences revolve around Strongholds, its like they can smell the excitement.

I'm sure that, in our time, we will see more. Different strongholds would be nice, to occupy the forts that haven't been used, yet. More sea monsters would be amazing, especially if they are part of a map expansion (or map remix, we need to end players routine island association). It would be even better if there were treasures/missions associated with murdering the Hell out of them.

I feel like you can do a kraken in the game without having it randomly spawn on top of a ship. Have it just show up on the map somewhere so it's not always on a ship and you can have the experience of HARD TO PORT I SEE TENTACLES.

Also we need whirlpools in this game as well, more neat storm things that you have to watch for and avoid. Give us a reason to watch clouds and look for tells.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Choke on my fatty

I've played for 3 hours and I've already seen 100% of everything the game has to offer. I dunno dude.
Its got a fun concept but you can't argue that it just isn't done.

There should be 20 ship types, not 2.
There should be NPC ships you can attack on the seas for booty, there are not.
There should maybe be a story, there isn't.

I like the idea of not having pure upgrades so there's no level 100 grognards who can simply beat you every time. But instead of coming up with another progression system, they just didn't. That's unacceptable. They need to start implementing things like TF2's side-grade unlockables.

Like, you should be able to unlock chain-shot and bar-shot and grape-shot for your cannons, which would have different properties but be less good at just sinking ships.

If they could combine Pirates of the Burning Sea with Sea of Thieves you'd have a loving amazing game, but right now Sea of Thieves is all engine with no content. Its just a sandbox with "gently caress around" as the only thing to do. Even EVE Online has more content that drives player interaction than this does.

You should be able to register as a merchant ship and get long voyage delivery missions. You should be able to register as a pirate and get tips about merchant voyages you can intercept. You should be able to register as a pirate-hunter and find out about pirate activities. Things like that to give players motivation to do things and push them towards each other and create more fun encounters.

Right now if something fun happens in PvP its entirely by accident or because players painstakingly forced it to happen with zero incentive.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I feel like you can do a kraken in the game without having it randomly spawn on top of a ship. Have it just show up on the map somewhere so it's not always on a ship and you can have the experience of HARD TO PORT I SEE TENTACLES.

Also we need whirlpools in this game as well, more neat storm things that you have to watch for and avoid. Give us a reason to watch clouds and look for tells.

I want the ship eating bird beasts to roam the skies. Why the gently caress ypu put these things everywhere theres nothing in or arpund them? On crooked masts islands theres one that swallowed a ship right off the western shore. No treasure of course. Like why design all those assets and put them under the sea with no reason to ever even look? You cant see any of it from the surface and there is no reason to ever dive underwater there. That goes for all the undersea wreckage its such a waste.

Pearls are also a glaring omission because they have big ol fancy clams. I dont really care but its weird.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Skelly ships would be fun

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure those skellys that look like birds are kraken skellys and yes I know that makes no sense

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

ZeusCannon posted:

Pretty sure those skellys that look like birds are kraken skellys and yes I know that makes no sense

Krakens are usually depicted as giant squids, and squids have beaks, so... it pretty much does make sense.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Found a underwater temple below some coral reef in the middle of nowhere ocean that seemed to have a lot of time designing it put into it, absolutely nothing inside it of course, I guess they are going to come up with a reason to go there in the future, perhaps maps to diving locations.

On another note, honest trailers did one for sea of thieves, it is... not kind, but spot on regarding player interaction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIrsGFCxyJs

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

ZeusCannon posted:

I was thinking this too, krakens have beaks, but the skeleton looks like a human ribcage or whatever so i assumed birds. That said the ship wouldnt fit whole into either of their mouths yet one did, it might even be two ships. Is there a mythical bird that fits into pirate lore or worlds? Like everybody knows what a kraken is, what would a large bird be called?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Zaphod42 posted:

I've played for 3 hours and I've already seen 100% of everything the game has to offer. I dunno dude.

I like the idea of not having pure upgrades so there's no level 100 grognards who can simply beat you every time. But instead of coming up with another progression system, they just didn't. That's unacceptable. They need to start implementing things like TF2's side-grade unlockables.

Like, you should be able to unlock chain-shot and bar-shot and grape-shot for your cannons, which would have different properties but be less good at just sinking ships.

If they could combine Pirates of the Burning Sea with Sea of Thieves you'd have a loving amazing game, but right now Sea of Thieves is all engine with no content. Its just a sandbox with "gently caress around" as the only thing to do. Even EVE Online has more content that drives player interaction than this does.

You should be able to register as a merchant ship and get long voyage delivery missions. You should be able to register as a pirate and get tips about merchant voyages you can intercept. You should be able to register as a pirate-hunter and find out about pirate activities. Things like that to give players motivation to do things and push them towards each other and create more fun encounters.

Right now if something fun happens in PvP its entirely by accident or because players painstakingly forced it to happen with zero incentive.

I want all that stuff too. More ships more content , something other than cosmetics, a kraken that gives loot

Yet as is I’ve had probably as much fun as I’ve had when I played quake over lan for the first time.

I like chilling and hitting shipwrecks and collecting chickens, I like the cosmetic stuff enough that I want loot, and all of my pvp engagements have been hilarious and fun - whether it was depth charging those cheese dick galleons that kept spawn ramming us last night, or getting chased by a galleon with only 1 fine tea crate on board my solo sloop and stupidly running aground but taking my treasure with me to successfully stash on the island for someone else to find - it’s been a lot of laughing and just plain fun

And tbh I’m wondering if the lack of real value from loot helps keep the sting of losing it to a minimum - I still get salty but it’s not as bad as UO or Darkfall where you can lose poo poo that will make you literally quit playing

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Choke on my fatty

I completely agree with this. No apologies.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

DogonCrook posted:

I was thinking this too, krakens have beaks, but the skeleton looks like a human ribcage or whatever so i assumed birds. That said the ship wouldnt fit whole into either of their mouths yet one did, it might even be two ships. Is there a mythical bird that fits into pirate lore or worlds? Like everybody knows what a kraken is, what would a large bird be called?

There's the Roc but that's not pirate related. Honestly giant angry parrots would make me laugh so hard so I vote that.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

VendoViper posted:

thats correct. sailing solo means nobody can join, friend or not.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Zaphod42 posted:

lol no

nearly everything you've suggested sounds really dumb, and would ruin the near perfect game balance (i mean that completely seriously and unironically) that rare has somehow stumbled upon with their admittedly half baked implementation of one of the best designed games in the last decade

the game is quake/cs/unreal but on boats, and you can steal treasure. its an arena FPS, with boats, where you can get drunk and roleplay. its an FPS. but with boats.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

no_funeral posted:

the game is quake/cs/unreal but on boats, and you can steal treasure. its an arena FPS, with boats, where you can get drunk and roleplay. its an FPS. but with boats.

But in my alternate reality headcanon where Rare promised a pirate MMO with more content than WoW they clearly didn't deliver!!! :freep:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

story mode sounds like an awful idea and tons of ships is an even worse idea, but I support NPC ships if only to service PvP. Like the Skull Fort boils down to a lucrative encounter who's sole purpose seems to be forcing some rad as hell PvP, NPC ships could maybe be like Mobile Forts or some kind of powerful hell-ship you can caprute that makes you harder to kill/more murderous, but also makes it super obvious when you have it to incentivize people you chase you down and try and take it or something

at the end of the day, this is a PvP game

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I gave them poo poo for that interview where they said they cultivated a friendly environment, and ill be damned if it isnt. I mean thats no thanks to them i think, it seems like they stumbled on it, but if i can compare it to like elite dangerous or something, i like it more. They somehow made it so ganking isnt the big bogeyman it usually is to these communities. Here they seem to recognize it as gameplay and thats no small feat. Open world pvp is usually really toxic subject but here it hasnt been in my expeirience. I would be pissed if they gently caress that up.

To their credit the death ship was genious for promoting a light atmosphere. Yes i just suicide bombed you and yes im about to do it again but in the meantime, lets do a jig! It owns.