Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The best is born cereals with giant "NOW GLUTEN FREE" on the box to trick idiots who think gluten is scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Loss that’s found in the wild is my favorite.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Future anthropologists are going to lump loss into the same category as finding Jesus in your toast.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If you want to sell a mediocre product, imply the competition all has really horrible poo poo that's not on their packaging and that it's the standard.

"New! Mercury free cookies!"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SpacePig posted:

This is one of my favorite turns in food advertising because they obviously can't say "natural" or "organic", so they try to get in on the fad by just saying "real" and hoping nobody notices.
We get fruit baskets at work and the fruit has little stickers on them that just say "Eco".

All those markings that are supposed to mean "grown with natural fertilizer/less pesticides" are completely useless nowadays because there's hundreds of real ones that nobody keeps track of and thousands of fake ones.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bombadilillo posted:

The best is born cereals with giant "NOW GLUTEN FREE" on the box to trick idiots who think gluten is scary.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Haha, yeah sort of like that.

Bombadilillo posted:

"Naturally gluten free!" is also a favorite of mine, because it's technically informative for things that are just meat or rice or whatever, but it also gets to use two buzzwords, and one of them doesn't really mean anything in marketing.

Picnic Princess posted:

If you want to sell a mediocre product, imply the competition all has really horrible poo poo that's not on their packaging and that it's the standard.

I still think one of my absolute favorites of mine was kind of an inverse of this, where producers of cranberry juice fought against regulations that would have them publish their drinks' added sugar content, because if people knew how much sugar was added to the drink rather than just naturally occurring in cranberries, people would never buy cranberry juice.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Picnic Princess posted:

Wow I didn't know you weren't getting MURDER FREE cookies

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I know this is not a picture, rather a series of pictures with sounds synched to it, but all of this talk about deceptive advertising made me think of this

https://youtu.be/tP4yX2rkpBc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

I think the urban legend/chain mail story was that a farmed salmon company tried to advertise itself as not using artificial color to make its fish pink in the freezer, and their competitor retaliated by putting "No added bleach" on theirs.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the urban legend/chain mail story was that a farmed salmon company tried to advertise itself as not using artificial color to make its fish pink in the freezer, and their competitor retaliated by putting "No added bleach" on theirs.

I've heard that story too, though from the other perspective - the distributor selling his white salmon with the label "guaranteed to not go pink in the can!"

I think it was on The West Wing.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

RareAcumen posted:

What, did you people think dril was an actual person too?

Wait, are you saying dril is just an algorithm? That's pretty drat impressive, I'd like to see the code behind that.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

96 Port Hub posted:

Wait, are you saying dril is just an algorithm? That's pretty drat impressive, I'd like to see the code behind that.

Definitely believe every post you read

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

96 Port Hub posted:

RareAcumen is the algorithm, actually. Trying to undermine your faith in dril and people like him on tiwtter to corrode the strength of their style of posting.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

praise him

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Picnic Princess posted:

If you want to sell a mediocre product, imply the competition all has really horrible poo poo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Picnic Princess posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4yX2rkpBc

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
9 posts p GGB

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Cheerios actually changed their recipe very slightly to be gluten free, and it's been great.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

spog posted:

A lot of people spent a lot of time and money making sure it was a wet fart and it always seems a little mean to me that they don't get the credit for doing a good job.

So many backend systems (transportation, power, banking) were from the time that punchcards seemed pretty like a pretty cool idea and one thing we have learned is that people will panic over tiny things, so imagine what would happen it transportation ground to a halt and you couldn't get money from the bank or watch TV.

Still, I will admit that there was a certain amount of hype at the time:

They got the last one :smith:

Samuringa has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Apr 3, 2018

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Cocoa Pebbles are gluten free.

That's some healthy stuff right there.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

What, did you people think dril was an actual person too?

His posts are jokes, but dril's an actual dude, not a Russian troll or a bot, so yes.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I bought some Korean chili flakes off Amazon. There was very little English on the package when I got it, but what there was included "Metal Free." I have never been so amused and yet concerned at the same time.

Edit: Actually, that would be a great thing for the funny pictures thread but no, it's at home and I'm not. Later!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Twitch posted:

His posts are jokes, but dril's an actual dude, not a Russian troll or a bot, so yes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/warkspolice/status/981154696319684610

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Someone get Todd Howard on the line!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Not sure if this is real or not but...

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
No.... No. I ain't seeing it buddy. 2/10.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
You can tell from the pixels.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you're farming both pigs and children, keep them in separate pens. That's like farm stuff 101.

If I don't free range the children the mother will eat them

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The chemist in me is triggered.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Collateral Damage posted:

The chemist in me is triggered.

Tell him to pull out.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Tell him to pull out.

:vince:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spog posted:

A lot of people spent a lot of time and money making sure it was a wet fart and it always seems a little mean to me that they don't get the credit for doing a good job.

So many backend systems (transportation, power, banking) were from the time that punchcards seemed pretty like a pretty cool idea and one thing we have learned is that people will panic over tiny things, so imagine what would happen it transportation ground to a halt and you couldn't get money from the bank or watch TV.

Still, I will admit that there was a certain amount of hype at the time:

The Weekly World News owned

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Tell him to pull out.

:five:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://giant.gfycat.com/PessimisticPinkCopperbutterfly.webm