Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I'm sorry man. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
thanks guys. heres all the pics i ever posted of her in here. five different apartments feature, we probably move too much. she really was a one of a kind, beautiful and special little personality. she had a good time on this earth though. can't be too sad. thank your rabbit and give them a potentially slightly unwelcome squeeze tonight.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

The Walrus posted:

grace is gone. we had a vet come to our apartment and she passed after hours of ear scritches and kale eating. she was the best bun anyone could ask for. this is tough you guys :(

Condolences. <3

It’s nearly been a year since Cilantro crossed the rainbow bridge and I miss her every day.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RIP Grace, you were adorable

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
I'm so sorry :(

She was a lovely bunny.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I'm so sorry, The Walrus. I love the photos you posted, and I hope they help you remember all the best things about Grace.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
thanks guys :) it's still real rough, not going to lie. on the way in the door it was always 'hi ladies' to my girlfriend and the bun. when my gf did something mockable it was "gracie, can you believe this???" you just get so used to having this little bundle in your life, bringing you joy and brighness when you don't even realize it's happening. yesterday out of the corner of my eye i thought some rubber sandals on the ground were gracie, 'cause they were sitting in one of her favourite spots. rabbits are just the best, and gracie was a special one.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
well hey i didn't mean to kill the thread, someone post some cute buns

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Himalayan likes to jump on the couch and lick all the pillows until we come over and pet him.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Bunny Glamour shot

Bonus Harriet being a parrot photo

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Fluffy tortoiseshell dorfbun.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
Lola Whose Heart Is Too Big looking a lot improved

She also appeared as an apparition in my friend's coffee

skypunk
Apr 26, 2007

MY SMILE IS GONE FOR GOOD!
BIG DAY. After a successful speed dating session between my 1 yr-old female bun (Kupo) and a 2-yr-old male bun (Emil), I adopted Emil yesterday and set up his enclosure a couple feet from Kupo's. It'd be closer if the logistics of my weird-shaped room didn't make it kinda impossible.

I've read a ton on bonding rabbits and there seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there. While the speed dating session went well (both buns flopped in their respective pens and showed no aggression toward each other - my attempts at dates in a neutral room of my house have not gone as well. The last one had to be cut short cuz fur tufts were flying. Neither bun was hurt, thankfully.

Any tips on introducing a new bun to one who's become pretty comfortable in her domain, even if she's only lived here for a month or two?

requisite bun pics:

Emil

Kupo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jareth, the Goblin King

Marfusha got an hourlong grooming yesterday but she still needs the fuzz around her eyes trimmed

Spock is 9-10 but you wouldn't know it by the way he eats, looks, or moves. He's been set in the behavior of treating the litter box more like a suggestion than a rule for years so it's really hard to tell if he's been having age-related issues there, but we're keeping a close eye on him. The other two are pretty fastidious about the litter box so it's usually ok unless Marfa decides she needs the box to be cleaner and digs it out.

fur friends

Spock is a goddamn hoover vac, the chubbiest bunno

treats

treeeeeeaaaats

This one's from a few days ago, hence the dirtier cage in the background. Marfa did not enjoy having her turd stick-on beauty mark removed.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

God drat you were not kidding about these fur balls, my rabbit allergic friend would not last a minute around them. :stare:

Random pics:

Broussette was not allowed to enter the bedroom for a year but now that she is she spends most of her time under the bed.

Or grooming in front of the mirror, like a princess.

Yup, life's reaaaal rough.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I took a video of carrots devouring his dinner.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg7ebYMlbHV/?taken-by=carrots.a.day

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

God drat you were not kidding about these fur balls, my rabbit allergic friend would not last a minute around them. :stare:

Random pics:

Broussette was not allowed to enter the bedroom for a year but now that she is she spends most of her time under the bed.

Or grooming in front of the mirror, like a princess.

Yup, life's reaaaal rough.
This rabbit has the same facial expression as my parents' schnauzer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

treeeeeeaaaats

One of your bunnies seems to be wearing that other one as a hat.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hello
is 3 ft wide by 2 ft tall by like, 8 foot long an okay shape for a rabbit trackter??

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Baloogan posted:

hello
is 3 ft wide by 2 ft tall by like, 8 foot long an okay shape for a rabbit trackter??

What’s a trackter? I’m assuming it’s a run/cage? Depends on how many rabbits, but that sounds pretty good for 1-2 bunnos.

Only consideration might be height- you want the enclosure to be tall enough to allow the rabbits to fully get up on their hind legs, and ideally to be able to hop/binky comfortably without hitting the ceiling. 2 feet is ok for most buns, 3 feet is better if you’re able to make it that tall.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im thinking like 10 :[
gonna eat them tho :]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Baloogan posted:

im thinking like 10 :[
gonna eat them tho :]

8x3 is too small. Unless it’s super temporary and you plan on culling them all at once.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
get outta here balloogan. You'll probably get better answers to your rabbit murder questions in the trump thread anyway.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
8 feet by 3 feet seems plenty to me anything bigger than that i can't really see fitting on my ATV they would all be adolesants (im building 2x tracktors, one for breeding pair subdivided into two apartments with some plywood and one for the little guys)

maybe ill need to make 3x trackters

thanks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Baloogan posted:

8 feet by 3 feet seems plenty to me anything bigger than that i can't really see fitting on my ATV they would all be adolesants (im building 2x tracktors, one for breeding pair subdivided into two apartments with some plywood and one for the little guys)

maybe ill need to make 3x trackters

thanks

Err on the side of giving them more room rather than less. Rabbits are super gregarious and they tend to do better in groups but they need space to do best and grow healthiest/develop good muscle for eatin’. Also, they reach sexual maturity right quick and you’ll want to separate the progeny by sex (or if there’s too much fighting between same-sex individuals) sooner than you probably expect so a third enclosure might not be a bad idea.

Rabbits weaned together tend to avoid inbreeding on their own pretty well- as do most mammals- but sometimes wires get crossed and somebody may end up knocked up when you don’t really want them to/it isn’t healthy. Same goes for conflict. Littermates are usually fast bondmates without much human intervention but every once in a while some rabbits go through puberty and lose the ability to share an enclosure safely so it’s always good to have a spare on hand.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

While I appreciate your good-faith answers, Electric Bugaloo, I suspect Baloogan may not be posting with complete sincerity. :)

But, if you are, Baloogan, I think GWS might be better capable of answering your questions!

Khelmar posted:

While the forum title is Pet Island we also like to encourage posts about husbandry, livestock, and other related subjects.

Posts about hunting are probably more appropriate in The Firing Range and posts about raising animals for food are probably better suited in Goons w/ Spoons mostly because you're likely to get more interest in both items in said subforums.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i am sinsere but yeah ill go to gws but i have no idea why theres a rabbit thread in the veterans forum

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Here thread, have a erm...palate cleanser.

so photogenic. so regal. he'd eat you right up if he could.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've grown up with dogs so I'm no stranger to animals acting like you haven't fed them in three years every single time you feed them, but does anyone else's rabbit get way too buck when it's feeding time? Our bun never escapes her cage EXCEPT if you walk within 5 feet of her with lettuce, at which point she either violently careens off the sides of her pen or leaps out of her 5ft tall pen in a single bound and then acts really confused about how she ended up locked out of her own house.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Here thread, have a erm...palate cleanser.

so photogenic. so regal. he'd eat you right up if he could.

What breed is he? He's so pretty!

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Looks like a lionhead, very cute. :3:

Also :getout: Baloogan.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RichterIX posted:

I've grown up with dogs so I'm no stranger to animals acting like you haven't fed them in three years every single time you feed them, but does anyone else's rabbit get way too buck when it's feeding time? Our bun never escapes her cage EXCEPT if you walk within 5 feet of her with lettuce, at which point she either violently careens off the sides of her pen or leaps out of her 5ft tall pen in a single bound and then acts really confused about how she ended up locked out of her own house.
My previous rabbit, a grumpy Holland Lop mix, would charge and try to swat the food bowl out of my hand. He thought me reaching in to set the bowl down was my way of preventing him from getting the food.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Sassy Sasquatch got it, he’s a lionhead. And Marfusha is a fuzzy lop and Spock’s an english spot. Now we just need an angora and we’ll have probably the top four worst breeds for shedding.

Initially my fiancée had Spock and his original bondmate, a brown rex (I think?) named Kirk, natch. Kirk unfortunately died in the summer of 2015 (same day as Robin Williams) and Spock was by himself for about a year. Eventually we decided that he needed a new bondmate and set about adopting one (House Rabbit Network in MA, if anyone is curious. They’re rabbit-specific and excellent and if you’re in New England and looking for buns they’re the first place I’d look).

We didn’t intend to get a pair but when we saw Marfa and Jareth (originally Tenley and Panda) we couldn’t pass them up, because look at them. They were already quite bonded (seriously, their codependent rabbit marriage is heartbreakingly adorable) and getting them to live with Spock has been a learning experience for sure.

If people are curious and interested, I’ll do a bigger effortpost about the three knuckleheads and what it’s been like bonding them and living with them over the past 2 years.

RichterIX posted:

This is totally normal. Of our three, Spock is the only one with any behavioral consistency that approaches “nice to people”, and that’s mostly probably because he’s a big chubby pushover who is always ready to eat. The other two are two-faced as poo poo when it comes to human attention. Jareth in particular is a super finicky eater who takes forever to acclimate to different foods and only takes treats if he’s hungry. Marfa eats like a Hoover vac and loves treats but will turn on you in a second with the slightest offense.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

RichterIX posted:

Carrots will grunt at me like a total dick if my hand gets too close while he's eating, but that's about it.

He grunts at loving everything, but he's all bark and no bite.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If people are curious and interested, I’ll do a bigger effortpost about the three knuckleheads and what it’s been like bonding them and living with them over the past 2 years.

I would enjoy that. My gf caught a glimpse of Jareth while I was browsing and now she insists we color Broussette black & white.

"Go gently caress right off !"

RichterIX posted:

She's still going to make a ruckus when you walk by with tasty stuff but make sure she has access to hay 24/7. (in case you don't do that already, obviously) Buns are pretty much engineered to eat a constant stream of low cal food.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The funny thing is I'm usually approaching her cage with lettuce to give it to her, she just can't wait and goes absolutely apeshit. She has constant access to hay, I just think she gets too excited and has to go bouncing off the walls. The other funny thing is I can take food straight out of her mouth with no reprisal, so she's not super defensive about her food or anything.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Double post but here is Lillian probably plotting to chew on something expensive or irreplaceable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Our older rabbit chews on the bars of his cage door when he wants out, which has made our younger rabbit start doing it. Except the young rabbit has no incisors, so he just persistently gums at the bars. He's not very bright.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The younger rabbit's allergies just get worse. He got a nosebleed today from sneezing so much. We think it's related to whatever facial deformity caused his teeth to come in hosed up.

Edit: It may be a good sign. His nose stopped bleeding pretty quick, and it was just after he'd expelled a lot of dried mucous. He's breathing quieter today than he has in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

FactsAreUseless posted:

Our older rabbit chews on the bars of his cage door when he wants out, which has made our younger rabbit start doing it. Except the young rabbit has no incisors, so he just persistently gums at the bars. He's not very bright.

Carrots does this too, except sometimes he'll do it after we open the door, and then he'll realize "Oh, it's open!" and happily jump out.

Just a lazy saturday laying on the couch.