Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

I burst out laughing at the nutcracker titan. That's amazing.

It's also saying something that of all the creepy looking titans we've seen in this manga: Reiner's half armored abomination is the most unsettling. That was just a 15 meter tall titan with Reiner's face.
Correction: a 15 meter tall titan with Reiner's clean shaven and slightly de-aged face. The lack of a beard and more youthful appearance after the past dozen or so chapters established Reiner's older and grizzled look adds to the unsettling image. And then Eren punches off Reiner's lower jaw, making things worse.

Also, goddamn Eren. :black101: Your problem solving skills have definitely improved over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Too bad he still takes forever to take a bite, though.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Did Eren eat Gaillard before Reiner attacked or did Reiner save him? I can't tell from the panels.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
:tviv:This chapter owned on so many levels :aaa: Most of what I could say already has been said by others, but man, Willie and Magath's plan to MMGA is off to a smashing start, isn't it? Two of their titans lost, with perhaps the most powerful one falling into the hands (or rather jaws, pun fully intended) of their greatest enemy, the commander of their titan corps is dead in the best case scenario and working with the enemy unbeknownst to them in the worst, almost entire top brass of their military went splat, what I presume to be a non-insignificant part of their navy got Armin'd, the power behind the throne was decapitated, and it turns out that Eldians might not be as alone as it seemed.

The one positive for them I can think of is that Gaillard can now fully sympathize with Pieck's and Reiner's PTSD, cause holy crap, I don't think anyone in this manga has ever eaten as much poo poo as he has. Can you imagine how much it has to sting knowing that the absolutely only, solitary reason that you're still alive is that your enemy has put using you as a means to taking what might be the greatest asset available to your country for himself over ending your sorry life there and then? I kind of hope that the next time Eren pops up he ends up immediately owning Gaillard using WHT's power, just to drive the point home.

On the other hand, I am now almost ready to admit that Reiner's suffered enough and that he might deserve a break now. Still only almost and only might, mind.

Also, the look on WHT's face right before she went CRACK was priceless. Isayama might not be the best artist out there but drat if his expressions aren't brilliant.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

Did Eren eat Gaillard before Reiner attacked or did Reiner save him? I can't tell from the panels.

the latter I think

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

that scene is now directly behind levi's windmill for scenes I want to see animated

Seeing this entire arc animated is going to kick absolute rear end.

It looks like at least one of the countries with diplomats present at Willy's speech is actually in league with the Paradis Eldians. It's possible that the acquisition of Marleyan technology from all the battleships they captured allowed the Paradis Eldians to initiate diplomatic contact with some other countries before invading Marley.

The airship also gives them a good way of extracting Zeke post-betrayal, assuming that's what actually happens. They toss him onto the ship and everyone in Marley just assumes that his body was blown up by Levi.

It's hard to tell exactly what the endgame is here though. It looks like Eren is interesting in acquiring as many titan powers as possible, but that could be for a few different reasons. One argument is just to deny the enemy as many titan powers as possible, but he could also be trying to consolidate all 9 powers into one person (Historia?)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
man try to picture what the ultimate gattai titan would even look like

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
wings

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Not mine, but this made me laugh pretty hard. Almost everything he did led to the Marleyan's losing some sort of tactical advantage throughout the entire fight.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Maybe he's the true inside man.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm actually surprised how well Porco did against Eren and Mikasa. He hosed up Eren in close range and was able to evade Mikasa twice until he got distracted by the airship. I thought he was a total pushover but it seems he's actually a pretty powerful shifter: the only problem is he's a total idiot who kept rushing into things and exposing his allies to danger.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
so is there proof that there IS a age limit on being a shifter titan yet?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

E: whoops, misread that never mind

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

No strict proof but before Kruger handed things off to Grisha he was coughing up blood because he was supposedly at the end of the 13 years

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Grognan posted:

The fact the royal family went through with it very seriously is the biggest proof afaik

e: Also yeah Owl and even Grisha

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think Grognan may have been asking about whether it's impossible for older people to become shifters, not whether becoming a shifter . I don't think any age limit in the former sense exists, and I don't even remember the possibility being mentioned; Grisha shows that, you don't need to be as young as Reiner and friends were, at least. The Curse of Ymir thing is definitely real, though; Kruger, Grisha, Reiner, and even Eren all seem to have become pretty unhealthy-looking a few years after becoming shifters.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

reiner is in full :negative: mode

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

comedyblissoption posted:

it's a good thing

death is a reward now

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing Monkey Joe's disappearance means he's probably defected

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

JahRoo posted:

It looks like at least one of the countries with diplomats present at Willy's speech is actually in league with the Paradis Eldians. It's possible that the acquisition of Marleyan technology from all the battleships they captured allowed the Paradis Eldians to initiate diplomatic contact with some other countries before invading Marley.

The airship also gives them a good way of extracting Zeke post-betrayal, assuming that's what actually happens. They toss him onto the ship and everyone in Marley just assumes that his body was blown up by Levi.

It's hard to tell exactly what the endgame is here though. It looks like Eren is interesting in acquiring as many titan powers as possible, but that could be for a few different reasons. One argument is just to deny the enemy as many titan powers as possible, but he could also be trying to consolidate all 9 powers into one person (Historia?)

I was wondering if the members of Mid-East Allied Forces were really onboard with allying with Marley after 4 years of war that only just concluded.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

JahRoo posted:

Consolidating all the powers as some means of "ending the curse" with the Eldians liberated and brokering an uneasy peace with the world at large seems like a fittingly bittersweet ending.

comedyblissoption posted:

Reiner's gonna get covertly offed by Marley, right? It'll be framed as a suicide so his power can be safely transferred to Gabi, but distrust of that narrative will gently caress up morale even further than where it's currently at.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

JahRoo posted:

I ended getting interested and watched the anime finally to see how they animated it, and that made me want to go back and reread a bunch of chapters. Eren thinks that if he consumes royal blood he could control the founding titan in the chapter where Historia gives the scouts medals for defeating the invading titans(he also thinks that he doesn't want to tell anyone because it would seem that he wants to eat Historia). So I think the end game is to eat Zeke or something like that as a finale. I'm not sure if this needs spoilering because its just me speculating.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 4, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JahRoo posted:

snucks posted:

Consolidating all the powers as some means of "ending the curse" with the Eldians liberated and brokering an uneasy peace with the world at large seems like a fittingly bittersweet ending.

Reiner's gonna get covertly offed by Marley, right? It'll be framed as a suicide so his power can be safely transferred to Gabi, but distrust of that narrative will gently caress up morale even further than where it's currently at.

The endgame is pretty drat obvious to me:

Step 1: Reobtain all Shifter abilities
Step 2: loving level Marely. The whole drat country and everyone in it.
Step 3: Level anyone else who tries to get in their way.
Step 4: PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GODDESS YMIR! All Glory to the Neo Eldian Empire, and any surviving non-Eldian filth better be thankful to serve their rightful masters under their merciful poo poo-encrusted bootheels! Hail Queen Historia! May her line reign over the globe for ten thousand years... AND BEYOND!

I mean, that may not be what you want, or even what some of the main characters think they want right now... but that's how this is gonna go let's be honest.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Grognan posted:

Did you forget about the Collosal Turkey Titan? Rod Reiss looked pretty old.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

snucks posted:

We don't know what's the story Margath will get; Reiner might try to shift any blame away from Falco, but the simple fact is they got ambushed by Eren with Reiner getting so hosed up he almost died and was a miracle he managed to pop out a malformed titan to save Galliard at the last moment. It's likely to look like his usual self-sacrificial heroics, as only Falco witnessed how badly :negative: Eren got him.

Marley also can't afford to give up experienced shifters right now.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Aumanor posted:

:tviv:

Also, the look on WHT's face right before she went CRACK was priceless. Isayama might not be the best artist out there but drat if his expressions aren't brilliant.

"This is how I go out are you goddamn kidding me?!"

Side note I feel like the easiest way to deal with warhammer would have been to just shake the poo poo out of her crystal when he first dug her up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah, like, we're seeing that even being bisected might not be enough to outright kill a shifter in human form, being shaken up a lot probably wouldn't do it, same with force of smashing the crystal into the ground a bunch, they'd probably still regenerate. Now, turning her into a puree and chug chug chugging the meaty chunks, that's probably enough :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wellwinds posted:

"This is how I go out are you goddamn kidding me?!"

Side note I feel like the easiest way to deal with warhammer would have been to just shake the poo poo out of her crystal when he first dug her up

That would not work. It's solid the whole way through up to her. Nothing to shake around.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

That would not work. It's solid the whole way through up to her. Nothing to shake around.

More in the sense of knocking her out or at least making her too dizzy to fight back easily; don't have to bounce off anything for that to gently caress you up

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Seeing as how Eren had to quickly improvise and use Jaw Titan to crack open the Warhammer's cocoon, that means Annie is okay, right? :ohdear:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
If he'd been a little faster Eren would be retreating right now having absorbed the warhammer AND the jaw titan. Like gently caress man, he could've probably chomped Annie while he's at it with the jaw power.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Beefstew posted:

Seeing as how Eren had to quickly improvise and use Jaw Titan to crack open the Warhammer's cocoon, that means Annie is okay, right? :ohdear:

Why do you have so little faith in Hange? Only reason they couldn't use whatever she cooked up here was because of the logistics of the combat site.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Wellwinds posted:

I say if the opportunity to eat her didn't present itself just take her dumbass crystal and lob it out into the ocean. If we look at how far Zeke can throw heavy boulders as a baseline then Eren could probably throw that thing a good couple of miles off the shore.

I feel like that would immediately mean game over for the Warhammer titan: the crystal is either porous, which means she drowns, or it isn't, which means she sinks to the bottom and dies of starvation. I don't even think transforming could save her because the weird physiology of titan bodies might interfere with her ability to swim, and the unique properties of the Warhammer titan would just create a tethered chord to get tangled in while trying to resurface. Not to mention how the underwater pressure and or decompression sickness might screw with her ability to save herself.

I hope it's revealed that that is what the Paradisans did to Annie because they couldn't crack the crystal. Just sailed out into the middle of the sea and kicked her crystal overboard.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MonsterEnvy posted:

The crystal, sure.

But not her brain.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

snucks posted:

Reiner is going to try to suicide again by his own initiative and actually go through with blowing his head off this time but his titan powers will revive him and it will be the most :negative: thing possible

Only after that can you start the reiner redemption arc

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Holy goddamn hell Eren and his crew grew into some absolute stone cold motherfuckers. I can barely even describe this poo poo: Eren uses an enemy Titan’s loving FACE as a goddamn nutcracker to kill another enemy Titan that has been reduced to human form and encased itself in a hardened shield. Then Eren loving shotguns the now unshielded and dying titan like a can of Natty Light at a college house party. Holy poo poo.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Angry Grimace posted:

Holy goddamn hell Eren and his crew grew into some absolute stone cold motherfuckers. I can barely even describe this poo poo: Eren uses an enemy Titan’s loving FACE as a goddamn nutcracker to kill another enemy Titan that has been reduced to human form and encased itself in a hardened shield. Then Eren loving shotguns the now unshielded and dying titan like a can of Natty Light at a college house party. Holy poo poo.
It's a lazy Photoshop, but:

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 5, 2018

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Angry Grimace posted:

I loving lost it reading this. So on point.

The guy in the grey shirt was me while reading this chapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cHZoYk-9TQ

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 4, 2018

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So uhhhh Who was the black guy? Are other countries selling the Paradisians zeppelin technology? I assume the Asian woman was in on it too. Willy knew he'd get assassinated on that stage, and others in the audience would die too. I just think he assumed a few gunmen would shoot some people and toss some firebombs, and not, you know, behead the entire Marleyan military and kill the nation's shadow-ruler.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So uhhhh Who was the black guy? Are other countries selling the Paradisians zeppelin technology? I assume the Asian woman was in on it too. Willy knew he'd get assassinated on that stage, and others in the audience would die too. I just think he assumed a few gunmen would shoot some people and toss some firebombs, and not, you know, behead the entire Marleyan military and kill the nation's shadow-ruler.

Yeah it looks like one or more foreign nations are assisting the Paradisians. I don't recall there being any black people inside the walls, and it seems unlikely they went from having no aviation at all to having militarized zeppelins in only four years. Note that the pilot has a different uniform and doesn't bear the insignia of the Survey Corps. That would be pretty great if Marley is so hated for using Titans for the last hundred years that some of their enemies were willing to ally with the Paradise Eldians to take them down. As for Tybur he totally knew there was going to be a bloodbath at the stage presentation, including the loss of the military brass. He even told Magath that he would get to reform the military in the aftermath.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 5, 2018