Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sormus posted:

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction

https://youtu.be/kSCVahyh3Dk

what the gently caress

Avenging_Mikon posted:

In all the times I’ve seen the gif, I’ve never thought about the fact the paste would be going between the mobo and processor. Just "ha, mayo in a syringe, classic."

I also remember I posted an actual picture of the aftermath of someone doing this.

I should dig it up again but I'm too lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Renegret posted:

what the gently caress

I also remember I posted an actual picture of the aftermath of someone doing this.

I should dig it up again but I'm too lazy.
This is probably the one you're thinking of

But I found some others too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
That's it! You got it!

gently caress you for making me have to look at it again!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I wonder if you could freeze those boards and then blast that poo poo off with air, ala dry ice mold removal.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Panthrax posted:

Reminds me of my field ops guy who pulled the wrong hard drive out of my SAN. You know, the one that I said "pull drive 11, the one at the bottom right corner" and he pulled 10. His response? "Oh, sorry, I heard one time that PC equipment you start counting at 1 instead of 0. Guess I should have asked first." You know, or looked at the little loving picture that tells you what each drive number is.

Javid posted:

Are the drives not labeled? That seems like a basic yet vital step to take, there.

Emphasis mine, but I'd say yes, the drives were labeled.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks for those pictures, I sent the first one to my friend as a mayo and CPU sandwich.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Those pictures don't make me annoyed or angry, they just make me very sad.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Some network drops came in...

Users at a certain office call yesterday as they keep getting kicked out of a certain program. After some investigation, it's determined that it's a network issue and after rebooting the interface in question, performance improved. What was the issue? Well, apparently our parent company installed the circuit at the office instead of the datacenter last year, and nobody has done anything about it. Oh yes, and also we're going to upgrade it from 100 Mb to a gig. Oh yes, and also one of our Sysadmins sent the ticket back to us saying to get more details and send to App Support in case it's an application issue. He was on the email chain yesterday and responded to it.

Moving on to the next issue which no one has worked on for a year, apparently at 6 every night, both our office and the one at a nearby office drop connection for a few seconds, leading the office to get kicked out of their program (same program as the first office). It looks to be because Shoretel (our PCs at both offices are connected to the Shoretel phones and then the phones are plugged into the wall) has a default setting to go into sleep mode at 6 PM every day and come back out of it at 6 AM. Somebody apparently set it up to do this at 7 PM instead but never removed the 6 PM one. :cripes:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A ticket came in..

From an Exchange rule. We created an exchange rule in an attempt to reduce phishing e-mails masquerading as our executive team. The results have been really positive and I almost cheer when I see a bunch of phishing e-mails that didn't make it to a users inbox.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

A ticket came in..

From an Exchange rule. We created an exchange rule in an attempt to reduce phishing e-mails masquerading as our executive team. The results have been really positive and I almost cheer when I see a bunch of phishing e-mails that didn't make it to a users inbox.

We are madmen that has those rules set to need approval. Its cool to see phishing attacks fail in real time.

Its also weird to find that your ceo has 6 webmail addresses that he somehow send email from that you update to the rule over time.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

A ticket came in..

I am literally implementing something like this tomorrow morning. Mine is really basic, just checking the name field of the email and if it is from an external source, moving it over to Junk Mail. What did you do?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

G Suite has a specific feature now that flags messages where the name in the"from" field matches something in the corporate directory but the email came from an external source.

At this point I think a banner at the top of messages to inform people that the email wasn't from inside the company is more or less mandatory.

Also if you're going to the effort of putting in custom rules, get your SPF/DKIM and DMARC nailed down first and clean up any third-party services that are just spoofing your address.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Good gracious, Thants, how did you end up with that avatar?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kensei posted:

I am literally implementing something like this tomorrow morning. Mine is really basic, just checking the name field of the email and if it is from an external source, moving it over to Junk Mail. What did you do?

Basically the same thing. We have exceptions added for the personal e-mail addresses of the executives, and the rule sends incident reports to the helpdesk.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Weatherman posted:

Good gracious, Thants, how did you end up with that avatar?

D&D

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Never read or post in D&D. I'm sorry your lesson had to be so fat.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Inspector_666 posted:

Really the opposite this year.

Silver:

Gold: (:patriot::911::patriot::911::patriot::911::patriot::911:)

Heh, I work with one of those guys on Team 'Murica. He's a chill dude. And got a reserved parking spot right next to the door because he's a gold medalist. (all the executives still park closer because of course they do)

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

What did we learn?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

LethalGeek posted:

What did we learn?

Not sure

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SolusLunes posted:

Heh, I work with one of those guys on Team 'Murica. He's a chill dude. And got a reserved parking spot right next to the door because he's a gold medalist. (all the executives still park closer because of course they do)

What, they park like on the stairs?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Data Graham posted:

They pull their cars straight into the office and dock them just like King Candy in Wreck-It Ralph

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

They pull their cars straight into the office and dock them just like King Candy in Wreck-It Ralph
Their cars fold into briefcases that they carry up to their offices like on The Jetsons

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SolusLunes posted:

My jealousy knows no bounds.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Data Graham posted:

Okay I guess I wasn't really clear, they put him at the end of the executive reserved row. Because he's still a filthy office drone.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Re: Phishing

After 2 or so years, I finally fell for one of the educational "fake" phishing emails. The security team brilliantly aped a corporate email, all the way down to the logo, wording, and the linked external survey ("Click here to share your thoughts on the recent So-and-So Initiative!"). My last company used an internal tool for surveys, but here we hardly have anything on prem so a link to CorpSurveySite.Com went right under my radar.

Thank goodness it was fake.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Macaroni posted:

Re: Phishing

After 2 or so years, I finally fell for one of the educational "fake" phishing emails. The security team brilliantly aped a corporate email, all the way down to the logo, wording, and the linked external survey ("Click here to share your thoughts on the recent So-and-So Initiative!"). My last company used an internal tool for surveys, but here we hardly have anything on prem so a link to CorpSurveySite.Com went right under my radar.

Thank goodness it was fake.

This is why you ignore those until HR comes to bug you about it.

Also because internal surveys, for me at least, have historically only been used as ammo by the HR department when they want to make someone look bad

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Failed your saving throw, huh?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, wisdom check.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dogstile posted:

This is why you ignore those until HR comes to bug you about it.

Also because internal surveys, for me at least, have historically only been used as ammo by the HR department when they want to make someone look bad

"Does not participate in employee surveys"

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No, wisdom check.

Wis...? Oh, you mean "dump stat".

:v:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A ticket came in:

Professor says the keyboard in the classroom works on everyone's account except his.

:what:

My student worker updated the ticket:

I tried several keyboards and USB ports and they work on everyone's account but his.

:raise: gently caress it, just reimage the computer after class

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Something hosed with accessibility settings?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

GWBBQ posted:

A ticket came in:

Professor says the keyboard in the classroom works on everyone's account except his.

I tried several keyboards and USB ports and they work on everyone's account but his.

Did they check filterkeys?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

GWBBQ posted:

A ticket came in:

If it's windows 10 it may be a bad update. Kb4074588 if memory serves occasionally doesn't install right. All USB stops working on the pc when it messes up. If you have remote control access or the pc has ps2 support you can uninstall the patch and reboot. USB should work. If you reinstall the patch it seems to go through fine the second time.

Edit: I've tried doing system restores but they always seem to be corrupted with these messed up ms patches. Worst case is a reimage sadly

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 4, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
:siren: The Network is down :siren:

*puts feet up* good thing I'm not responsible for the internal network. And I'm getting OT for this.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Renegret posted:

:siren: The Network is down :siren:

*puts feet up* good thing I'm not responsible for the internal network. And I'm getting OT for this.

drat THE BAD LUCK! drat IT ALL TO HELL!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Samizdata posted:

drat THE BAD LUCK! drat IT ALL TO HELL!

It's a switching loop.

...glad it's not my problem.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Renegret posted:

It's a switching loop.

...glad it's not my problem.

You know, I was pretending to be mad, while secretly being happy for you.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My new job will have nothing to do with internal IT. I can't wait to no longer be flooded with emails when a thing is down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My new job will have nothing to do with internal IT. I can't wait to no longer be flooded with emails when a thing is down.

It's fantastic. At the new job and I'm only responsible for a handful of internal apps. Internet access just died here. Glad it's a not my problem event.