Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Previous Thread
Welcome everyone to the new Trailer thread! Use this thread to talk about Movie trailers, TV spots, and those dumbass trailer-for-trailers that are a constant thing that's happening now.

Useful Places to find Trailers
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/trailers/
https://screenrant.com/movie-trailers/
http://www.joblo.com/movie-trailers/
http://www.youtube.com

Here's a little insight from kiimo on how trailers are made:

kiimo posted:

Process of a trailer or This Thread's E/N Portion For The Evening

I work for a studio that I don't want to name but is very easy to figure out in Creative Advertising, for one of five teams doing complete campaigns for our film slate. We do posters, billboards, radio, online, trailers, TV spots and basically all of the origination of creative materials. Others then take over and repurpose the assets (art basically) for various things. Here's a short timeline before I bore you to tears. This is for trailers, not print art so I'll mostly ignore the print side.

Step 1: Execs select one of five SVPs and their team to assign to a film based on experience, inter-office politics, outer-office politics, good old fashioned Industry networking, and pagan liberal media sacrifices to the Jewish Illuminati that runs Hollywood from the SKG warlock tower.

Step 2: Meet with producers. Here is where you find out who is going to gently caress up all your work and make it look like poo poo down the road because of their precious film and how they know how to market it better than you even though they aren't finished with principal photography yet and production is on hiatus because of any manner of fuckups by idiots up and down the line.

Step 3: Assign vendors to the film. The SVP selects their flavor of the moment vendors to compete on the film based on endless drinks and dinners and free Lakers tickets. These vendors are where the ACTUAL CREATION OF TRAILERS AND POSTERS TAKE PLACE. There usually are three AV vendors who compete on trailers, teasers and TV Spots and three print vendors who compete on one-sheets (posters), billboards and all manner of print art.

Step 4: Get the script. Read the script. Get excited because every movie is going to be great when you read the script. Watermark the script, send the script to all 6 vendors.

Step 5: Watch the dailies as they come in. Get depressed because every movie is going to be terrible when you watch the dailies. Hope for the best.

Step 6: Get an early cut of the feature, usually just an editor's assembly that is three or more hours long. Send it to vendors with a burn-in (watermark).

Step 7: Get an initial trailer from the vendors. In the end there will be hundreds and hundreds of total versions of various cuts from various vendors as we make our way through the campaign.

Step 8: Get the vendors on fiber, specifically fiber-optic in the feed from their editing room to tweak the trailers as we sit on plush couches staring at a 60 inch television and critique their work while they do the heavy lifting. Drop this, move this, change this, etc. Endlessly. Three to eight times a day.

Step 9: Deal with rock band poo poo heads and their shithead agents when trying to select music cues for the film. Here you'll find the world of over-inflated egos of a string of clueless morons who think you'll pay them a million dollars to use fifteen seconds of their banal dreck to sell a film who's target demographic is twelve-year-old girls.

Step 10: Show trailers to Film Makers in order to get approval. These meetings happen often and you'd think I'd describe it like step 9. However, I have found film makers to be quite genial and professional once you get to this point. Maybe they're just too exhausted after just wrapping production to fight it. They're usually happy. But then again I work for a great studio so I might just be spoiled.

Step 11: Debut trailer. I'm skipping a bunch of stuff but let's get on with it. This is the point we'll be talking about most. That initial trailer or teaser (depending on the length and tone) that you debut for the film. It is usually the first thing you see, before the one-sheet or anything else other than leaked footage. These are often shown at conventions.

Step 12: Start putting out trailer 2, TV Spots. Now we're rolling, getting TV Spots out and moving right along. Six months or more have passed by now. You're sick of the film at this point.

Step 13: Film premiers. Wow I skipped ahead of a lot but here's where you find out if you still have a job. Yay for fickle movie-going public who hate everything! Yay for terrible economy and competing home entertainment systems! Yay for Think Like A Man inexplicably catching America's attention and loving your box office up!

And here are some upcoming trailers that absolutely won't date this thread when I'm too lazy to make a new one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18RqtFuaNe8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCF5Y8dQpR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbtVpho1go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hTLGlgZ4Z8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjVqDg32_8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

That 'How to talk to girls at parties' trailer is probably the first A24 trailer I'm not sold on. Feels a bit too much like Neil Gaiman's teenage fantasies set to screen to me, and I like Neil Gaiman.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 4, 2018

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hey I'm getting every single YT video showing up as a black box, that happening to anyone else?

ed. I can get the links when I disable embedding, at least.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 4, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Krazyface posted:

Hey I'm getting every single YT video showing up as a black box, that happening to anyone else?

Nope.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Krazyface posted:

ed. I can get the links when I disable embedding, at least.

Nope. Could be a browser issue, or a Flash issue?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Ah, I was using a script-blocker. Thanks!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here is another question I once had that was answered in one of these threads.

Q. Why do online trailers have a 5/10 second advertisement for themselves at the beginning? Why am I seeing the same footage twice?

A. There are multiple reasons. The trailer might run as an advertisement for a different piece of content on YouTube or a different streaming platform. The trailer might be shared on a social platform like Facebook or Twitter where 3 minutes is a lot for a piece of content which may not have a cat acting silly or a dog being a good boy*.
Basically, our attention span is zero and there are a lot of times we need a teaser before we are going to watch that trailer (which obviously does not apply to a forum thread like this). And that's why you're getting a (hyper) condensed version of the movie at the start of a condensed version.

*Or you get something terrible which is both like the trailer for A Dog's Purpose.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

That 'How to talk to girls at parties' trailer is probably the first A24 trailer I'm not sold on. Feels a bit too much like Neil Gaiman's teenage fantasies set to screen to me, and I like Neil Gaiman.

I actually like the short story, and have written about it a couple of times in college. I don't know how the movie will turn out, though, since the appeal of the story to me is that this clueless horny boy is totally oblivious he's was talking to three different species of aliens.

Anyway, here is an unexpected announcement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ren7GY5iZ7g

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Knight Rider reboot looking sound, but I still miss the car.

It will also amuse you all to hear that my mother heard about red band trailers and thought they were for an upcoming movie called The Red Band.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

Knight Rider reboot looking sound, but I still miss the car.

Huh, it's Knight Rider combined with M.A.N.T.I.S.. Or a remake of The Tuxedo if you're so inclined. :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kanonvandekempen posted:

Same :geno: A24 has a nearly flawless track record, but this doesn't look up to their standards. It looks instantly forgettable, which is usually the last thing I'd expect to say about an A24 movie.

Upgrade, on the other hand...:getin:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jedit posted:

It will also amuse you all to hear that my mother heard about red band trailers and thought they were for an upcoming movie called The Red Band.

*quietly copyrights this and begins writing a screenplay*

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Huh, it's Knight Rider combined with M.A.N.T.I.S.. Or a remake of The Tuxedo if you're so inclined. :v:

Being British and of a certain age my first thought was of MACH-1, the early 2000AD strip about a secret agent who is severely injured and and rebuilt $6m Man style with a computer in his head telling him how to perform superhuman feats. But yeah, we're not going to watch this for the original storyline, we're going to watch it because it looks good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new trailer thread wouldn't be complete without these abortions. They aren't even for a new theatrical re-release for an anniversary or anything, just trailers for classic movies redone in a modern style that shits all over the tone of the original films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjfRhwn-4fw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsuFgZ6lJI

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Same :geno: A24 has a nearly flawless track record, but this doesn't look up to their standards. It looks instantly forgettable, which is usually the last thing I'd expect to say about an A24 movie.

I've adored A24 these last 5 years but they can't stay great forever. Word is the founders are looking to offload that poo poo for a sum.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The new trailer thread wouldn't be complete without these abortions. They aren't even for a new theatrical re-release for an anniversary or anything, just trailers for classic movies redone in a modern style that shits all over the tone of the original films.

They’re for the digital versions of the film I think

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 4, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

They’re for the digital versions of the film I think

And they are bad.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

RIP old thread, OP should have mentioned that this subject has an inexplicable ability to make goons fight with each other.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kiimo posted:

RIP old thread, OP should have mentioned that this subject has an inexplicable ability to make goons fight with each other.

No it doesn't :mad:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I can't wait until it comes out, it looks like a more competent Hardcore Henry.

Here's a question referencing the OP, shithead musciians during the trailer process. How bad are they? I'm curious since I play music (as a side thing) and know people trying, vainly, to make a living off it. Getting your music on TV and movies seems like a godsend. You don't end up making that much money? How bad do they get with assheadedness?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have hated every Blumhouse film so far, but Upgrade actually looks like something I'd go for, and Terminal looks extremely cool.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have hated every Blumhouse film so far

:chloe:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have hated every Blumhouse film so far,
Get Out, but unironically

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
What is A24 and why does everyone like them

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jerkface posted:

They're a film company, and this is why people like them.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Jedit posted:

Everybody is really big fans of A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III and Tusk

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Christ, they made a movie based on The Adderall Diaries? That book was dogshit

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jerkface posted:

A specialty distributor. They distribute small movies that are usually good.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Everyone already knows the tone of these two films, though. I like the new trailers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What in the absolute gently caress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJoOuyayMKM

Christ I didn't even realize they made a 2.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Here is another question I once had that was answered in one of these threads.

Q. Why do online trailers have a 5/10 second advertisement for themselves at the beginning? Why am I seeing the same footage twice?

A. There are multiple reasons. The trailer might run as an advertisement for a different piece of content on YouTube or a different streaming platform. The trailer might be shared on a social platform like Facebook or Twitter where 3 minutes is a lot for a piece of content which may not have a cat acting silly or a dog being a good boy*.
Basically, our attention span is zero and there are a lot of times we need a teaser before we are going to watch that trailer (which obviously does not apply to a forum thread like this). And that's why you're getting a (hyper) condensed version of the movie at the start of a condensed version.

*Or you get something terrible which is both like the trailer for A Dog's Purpose.

To clarify it's so you can fit in a quick preview and the title before the ad is skipped in 5 seconds on youtube

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqdogQq3uU0

:pwn:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Looks like something that will go direct to your nearest streaming service. I'd be surprised if this gets a theatrical run outside of the odd festival.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It looks very...murky? Like a super cheap camera was used to film it. It’s not quite 24 FPS but some kind of blurry version of it.

It’s hard to describe.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So James Franco can still have a career after all the recent sexual abuse allegations against him, huh?

And he's using that to make lovely Mad Max ripoffs?

Nah, I'm good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol it looks lower budget than the California Love music video

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Didn't know there was a Cherry 2000 remake.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Gnome de plume posted:

Didn't know there was a Cherry 2000 remake.

This is more on the level of the Cyborg movies than a masterpiece like Cherry 2000

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

So James Franco can still have a career after all the recent sexual abuse allegations against him, huh?

It may have been in the can for a while, googling shows that Milla Jovovich, Lucy Liu and Snoop Dogg were announced as co-stars back in May 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

seems to me like a24 is this era's equivalent of early-2000s focus features. i look forward to them getting bought by a studio and suddenly, mysteriously putting out awful titles