Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm a gay woman and I didn't have a problem with the game being all road trip bros, shrug

they're such good friends :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There must have been some real craziness in Squenix's development offices over the past decade the way the FF series was treated - although their mobile division does very well.

FF13 - is a total mess with nothing to show but pretty graphics and three quarters of a different battle system. Critically disappointing, has to have two sequels made with a bunch of re-used assets.

FF14 - Literally so bad they remade the entire game except for art model assets/animations and the main towns.

FF15 - Repurposed from a side game (though that's not so bad in itself), is a bro adventure (not necessarily a bad thing), has almost nothing going in the main plot in the first half of the game and then forgets to
have anything else in the back half of the game.

I know Japanese companies basically promote people in lockstep but Squenix showed with FF14 they're not afraid to replace a lovely director but somehow they keep loving up what was once their crown jewel.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
https://twitter.com/NotSpeedwagon/status/981433867130359808

20 seconds of nothing after pressing the button to interact with npc.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

voltcatfish posted:

I'm a gay woman and I didn't have a problem with the game being all road trip bros, shrug

they're such good friends :unsmith:

my biggest problem with the game is that you don't get a whole lot of funtimes roadtrip until bad poo poo happens storywise

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Iris and Aranea are cool characters who don't get anywhere near enough screen time. In particular Iris, there's no reason whatsoever for her not to come along and the game even talks about it and then just sort of shrugs it off.

Also lol at the mgs5 twist being impossible to predict, it's foreshadowed to a ludicrous extent

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Both. In Black Flag, Edward doesn't give a poo poo about the Assassins for 99% of the game, in Rogue the Assassins are incredibly stupid and Shay changes sides, I didn't play Unity, and I posted a bit about Syndicate in this subforum, how Jacob essentially destroys the UK in a different way in every single Sequence and Evie has to rebuild it again.

Unity is kind of amazing in that it makes the Assassins incredibly lovely. The head assassins in it are a bunch of French aristocrats who insist on sitting in the sidelines while the whole revolution thing happens because they only care about themselves.

Elise is also fun as a heroic Templar but she doesn't get enough screen time. Really the game should've been about her.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Olive! posted:

https://twitter.com/NotSpeedwagon/status/981433867130359808

20 seconds of nothing after pressing the button to interact with npc.

Considering the "Hello!" and then the random "I'm glad you're safe as well", I have to wonder if it was just a case of the game was supposed to play another clip or two in between but something went wrong and the clips weren't audible.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

bewilderment posted:

There must have been some real craziness in Squenix's development offices over the past decade the way the FF series was treated - although their mobile division does very well.

FF13 - is a total mess with nothing to show but pretty graphics and three quarters of a different battle system. Critically disappointing, has to have two sequels made with a bunch of re-used assets.

FF14 - Literally so bad they remade the entire game except for art model assets/animations and the main towns.

FF15 - Repurposed from a side game (though that's not so bad in itself), is a bro adventure (not necessarily a bad thing), has almost nothing going in the main plot in the first half of the game and then forgets to
have anything else in the back half of the game.

I know Japanese companies basically promote people in lockstep but Squenix showed with FF14 they're not afraid to replace a lovely director but somehow they keep loving up what was once their crown jewel.

FF7 remake and KH3 are going to be "interesting" too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In Ni No Kuni II, the map is accessed with the 'options' button on the PS4 controller, and the party menu is accessed with the touchpad, which goes against every single game I've played with a map in it. I'm constantly pressing the touchpad to bring up the map, only to be greeted with the party menu instead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

In Ni No Kuni II, the map is accessed with the 'options' button on the PS4 controller, and the party menu is accessed with the touchpad, which goes against every single game I've played with a map in it. I'm constantly pressing the touchpad to bring up the map, only to be greeted with the party menu instead.

Along those lines, I don't like that attack is X in Kingdom Hearts 2 and there's no way to remap buttons.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Attestant posted:

FF7 is probably just going to be 15ish with maybe a bit of Crisis Core. Chances are they're going to have Crisis Core's plot be more of a thing in it.
I never played 7, but I think I heard Core changed the story a bit and it makes less sense or something?

KH3 looks like it's pretty much Dream Drop without the sleep mechanic. It'll probably still be a OK to Fun hack and slash but embarrassing to play at times.
The story is probably going to keep being a mess but it's nice to finally see how that train wreck plot is going to end.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

scarycave posted:

FF7 is probably just going to be 15ish with maybe a bit of Crisis Core. Chances are they're going to have Crisis Core's plot be more of a thing in it.
I never played 7, but I think I heard Core changed the story a bit and it makes less sense or something?

Part of FF7 involves distorted memories and amnesia that isn't very well handled (although not as terribly as FF8s "oh yeah, we did all grow up in the same orphanage") and is mostly explained through hidden cutscenes. Crisis Core I think just delves into that a bit more, and it would vastly improve the remake if they actually explain wtf is going on.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Also lol at the mgs5 twist being impossible to predict, it's foreshadowed to a ludicrous extent

On the tapes? gently caress those tapes. In the cutscenes? Link one.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Part of FF7 involves distorted memories and amnesia that isn't very well handled (although not as terribly as FF8s "oh yeah, we did all grow up in the same orphanage") and is mostly explained through hidden cutscenes. Crisis Core I think just delves into that a bit more, and it would vastly improve the remake if they actually explain wtf is going on.

Everything is eventually explained. Cloud was basically a gently caress-up of a soldier who was good friends with Zack, a member of SOLDIER (the elite fighting unit). They were captured after the events at Nibelheim and subjected to human experiments. Zack was unaffected by them but Cloud reacted strongly and was left barely functioning. Zack managed to break the two of them out, and during their travels Zack would tell Cloud stories of his life and experiences in SOLDIER. They managed to get cornered outside of Midgar. Zack was shot and killed and Cloud left for dead since he was in such a lovely state. Cloud somehow managed to take Zack's sword and crawl to Midgar, where he was found by Tifa and recovered. But with his brain all hosed up and his subconscious regretting his inability to make something of himself, he started to sincerely believe that the things Zack had told him about were things he himself experienced. This carries on until events in the middle of Disc 2 when Cloud falls into the lifestream and ends up getting pulled through an introspective journey by Tifa (who also fell in) and realizes how much of his past and personality aren't actually his own.

Virtually all of this is spelled out, but the bit about Zack's death and the escape from the lab you only find out if you visit the basement of Nibelheim mansion after the aforementioned Disc 2 events

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

Curious, I googled for a while if anyone saw the twist coming. I got some hits for things like

"The one thing that really struck out for me is in Mission 43 - Shining Lights, Even in Death;

At the beginning cutscene, after you enter the lab, Venom mentions smelling a sweet scent. "Something sweet. I can smell it even through the mask."

In MGS 3 - Snake mentioned in a codec convo with The Boss that he can't smell. "I can't smell. [...] Not a thing."

So i guess if you remembered a codec conversation from a game that came out 12 years prior where the characer can't smell, but now he can, the twist would be obvious.

I never played MGS3 though, so I don't have the memory of a twelve year old optional conversation that ties it all together.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Attestant posted:

FF7 remake is never coming out

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Olaf The Stout posted:

Some of this is probably coincidence but:

Ishmael in general moving, acting, talking like Big Boss

Returning characters constantly failing to recognise you - the roaming soldiers only think it's Snake once you wear a cardboard box, the mammal pod knew Snake so well it could tell his heart rate and doesn't even know it's him now (albeit it's going kind of mad)

Eli's DNA test saying you're not his father

the bit where zombie Volgin catches you, looks into your eyes (he hated Snake's blue eyes) realises he's been chasing the wrong dude, gives up and dies

You can see your avatar reflected in the ACC window at night

A lot of Paz's dialogue

Not being able to speak Russian

Coughing the first time he smokes properly instead of vaping, real snake being a heavy smoker

A bunch of subtler/sillier stuff like The Man Who Sold The World being a cover (and, well, a song about a doppelganger) the title being in Roman numerals for the first time ( because it's a substitute 5), Ocelot telling you stuff you already know and seeming like he's *not* tricking you for the first time ever

The DNA test is the big one, it's literally telling you you're not Big Boss.

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Apr 4, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I kinda feel like spoiler tags would be good there, particularly if we have people in the thread who are just now playing it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yakuza Kiwami

The Majima Everywhere system is neat in theory, but I wish it would just give you a swath of Dragon Style abilities if you've beaten him in enough fights. I've beaten the story and I'm in chapter 6 of new game plus and I still haven't seen Zombie Majima beyond the first fight where he showed up like that.

I swear, you complain and then the problem just solves itself. drat electronics constantly watching our every keystroke.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I guess here's another minor nitpick about Xenoblade 2 that's spoilery: In chapter 10 you get sucked into this subconscious world where you fight all your party members negative feelings - and I thought it was kind of a missed opportunity to not have a re-fight with Vandham. It makes sense - since he's not alive or anything, but I thought it'd be cool to bring him back one more time after his death.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Nice coincidence that the discussion has just touched on gender politics because that’s my issue with Bayonetta.

I really enjoyed the game: great aesthetic, awesome character designs, gloriously mental plot and engaging Platinum hack-and-slash combat.

And Bayonetta’s arse. Constantly. And random removal of clothes to summon demons. And here’s her arse again.

It’s so in your face (oo-err) that I could believe it’s “ironic” but the over-sexualisation of an otherwise solid female protagonist still made me uncomfortable.

Also cutscenes. Some great set pieces but I wouldn’t mind being allowed to play the game every now and then.

I’m still looking forward to my next play through: I’m challenging myself by increasing the difficulty all the way up to ‘Easy’. Skipping the cutscenes, it should only take me 15minutes or so...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Morpheus posted:

poo poo, I complained about the exact same thing in Mafia III at the Ps4 thread

Samuringa posted:

There are some design decisions in Mafia III that gotta have been made to screw with the player.

There are two Action buttons, Square and Triangle. Triangle is for climbing stuff and Square is for opening doors, picking up items and entering cars, and you can be sure as hell that every single time I'm in a firefight I'll end up climbing on my car instead of driving away.

The Map button is Options, instead of the Touchpad, which is the Detective Vision, and once again, I'll get in my car, and be confused for a couple of seconds of why the world just turned red instead of my map appearing.

Despite Square being the Action button, Circle is the one you use to hit people, so I'll get in a fistfight and begin desperately grabbing the weapons and cash that were dropped on the ground previously while I'm being pummeled.

L1 opens the Equipment Wheel, but you select what you want with the right stick instead of the left one - I think this one is a bit more common but still confusing.

Still is a good game, but it'll take me a while to unfuck my muscle memory.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So I finished Xenoblade 2, and I was looking at what changes in NG+, and I can't help but feel they could have just let you unlock everything after you've beaten the game - instead of having to beat a fairly long game a second time.

And the fact that Xenoblade 2 only has one save slot has been leaving me on the fence if it's even worth trying out NG+ at the expense of having to reunlock/redo quests and fast travel points. Though mercifully your merc. rank and driver/blade progress is saved among a few other useful things - so its more like just walk through everything again with no challenge at all.

But I don't really see a point why rpgs like NG+ if its just really a few little things that change in games like Xenoblade 2 where nothing really gets locked out - save for one area that has nothing worth missing in it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
The Bayonetta thing is more ridiculous every time I think about it. She’s not removing her clothes to summon demons, that’s her loving HAIR. Which is what forms the demons. Seriously? Yeah. I don’t know how anyone comes up with that and then makes a game using it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's art.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The Bayonetta thing is more ridiculous every time I think about it. She’s not removing her clothes to summon demons, that’s her loving HAIR. Which is what forms the demons. Seriously? Yeah. I don’t know how anyone comes up with that and then makes a game using it

Please do not forget that the hair wraps around the butterfly demon she has a pact with with to clothe it when she does wicked weaves.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm with you all on the bayo chat, extremely great game with some seriously cringe design. It wasn't overly offensive or anything but did cause me to roll my eyes multiple times per chapter. Like...why? Don't be a loving creepy goober, platinum

That said I can't emphasize how much fun I had with the series, especially bayonetta 2. Incredibly fun and rewarding

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Olaf The Stout posted:

There's a cutscene where Huey's freaking out over DDOG and how NOBODY ADMITS HE'S A WOLF, HE'S A WOLF AND YOU'RE PRETENDING HE'S JUST A DOG BUT HE'S A WOLF and the camera just pans over Big Boss the entire time

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Avenging_Mikon posted:

They didn’t just make a game, idiot.

They made two.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There's that painting where a lady has hair over her boobs, very famous. So you look at that and think: "What if someone was actually just wearing hair, as their clothes? They'd have to have magic, right, so they'd be a witch? So she'd summon demons and fight with those, and they'd be in her hair. And she'd be hot."

That's just an insane guess of course, but it seems pretty obvious how you might reach such an idea

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I've always been pretty okay with Bayonetta, just because both the game and the character absolutely OWN just how ridiculous and sexually charged the whole thing is. It's very self-aware and loving the hell out of what it is.

And especially with regards to the sexual nature of it, that's really striking in just how that comes across. The game's undeniably aimed at heterosexual men, but it's got a level of flamboyance, enjoyment and shamelessness about sexuality that I've never really seen in combination outside of, like, queer and queer-aligned events. Drag shows, pride parades, all that.

What I'm saying is that Bayonetta is the best possible Straight Pride Parade, and it's fascinating.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Bayonetta has sort of a Russ Meyer quality, at least if Meyer were a leg man.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bayonetta is a strong powerful woman who lives her life on her own terms and wears what she wants and if you constantly “cringe” and feel “uncomfortable” well that’s your problem not hers.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Bayonetta is a fictional character, friend

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

RareAcumen posted:

Along those lines, I don't like that attack is X in Kingdom Hearts 2 and there's no way to remap buttons.
This is also one of my big problems with monster hunter's combat (aside from how generally sluggish it is and the lack of proper lock-on. Also the fact that you don't get evade frames for your entire dodge animation, but literally every game except for Guild Wars 2 seems to gently caress that one up): the basic attack is on the top button and the heavy attack is on the right one, unlike literally almost every other game where your light attack is the left button and your heavy the top one.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MHW definitely has iframes in its dodges considering the evade window skill that extends it. It's just pretty short by default.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Bayonetta is a bit like a Rorschach inkblot; you'll basically see whatever you want in it and I'm not entirely certain there was anything deliberate in its construction beyond the main writer being super into dominant women.

It is, if nothing else, different than most other games in its depiction of its female characters.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
While the men at Platinum are unrepentantly lecherous, at the end of the day the Bayonetta designs were made by a woman. With the exception of the glasses and a few instructions, everything else came from her

There are some blog posts from before the game was released where she posts some of her notes

Designing Bayonetta

Designing Jeanne

Designing Rodin & Enzo

Designing Luka

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Calaveron posted:

There's a cutscene where Huey's freaking out over DDOG and how NOBODY ADMITS HE'S A WOLF, HE'S A WOLF AND YOU'RE PRETENDING HE'S JUST A DOG BUT HE'S A WOLF and the camera just pans over Big Boss the entire time

I just beat the game from beginning to end last week and don't remember this. Also I never played MGS3, and every hint people have listed requires having some knowledge from that game that presents a special insight into boss' character. That's a game from two console generations ago, it doesn't seem like good story design to have all your foreshadowing contingent on a game that's not even available to buy in the current day on current hardware, pc aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Problem I had with the Phantom Pain was simply that I got bored of it due to how long it took to get materials for basebuilding, then Konami kept making updates that just made the game worse so I never got back to it.