Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Didn't time rift Universe reset stuff flush all of "Everyone in the world knows about aliens now" from collective memory? That's always how I've read it. The Davies years work as their own unit, but unless you accept that the Victorians forgot about the giant Cyberman, Obama didn't get turned into the Master in the middle of a speech, the planet wasn't teleported halfway across the Universe, etc., you kind of get bogged down in continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

I suppose Bill might remember that time she and everyone else on Earth turned into John Major for a day and a night

I remember that episode.

"The Greytest Show In the Galaxy".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I tend to think the show's approach to continuity is "when something like a Dalek invasion happens people try to get back to normal and forget it ever happened". A pessimistic read would be this from Lovecraft

quote:

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

But I kind of prefer the way it was put in a pretty wretched Doctor Who episode

quote:

If you remembered how things felt, you'd have stopped having wars. And stopped having babies.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember that episode.

"The Greytest Show In the Galaxy".

An entire planet of grey men, all devouring plates of mushy peas.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think the important thing to keep hold of is that the Master will take any excuse to get into a ridiculous disguise on the faintest of pretexts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

An entire planet of grey men, all devouring plates of mushy peas.

Good way to get the show back to basics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

docbeard posted:

I think the important thing to keep hold of is that the Master will take any excuse to get into a ridiculous disguise on the faintest of pretexts.

This is the correct answer.

Oh hello my dear.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/0hMySt4rs/status/980430145554141184

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

I regenerated my Hurt-atar too soon! :froggonk:

(But I did it to give Lowtax's spine some of that sweet Artron Regeneration Energy, so that makes up for it. A little.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

docbeard posted:

Absolutely. I like to think how much he was enjoying himself the entire time he was pretending to be Bill's friend, constantly thinking,"AHA! But's it is actually me, a person you've never met!" whenever her back was turned :allears:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I never understood why those people started a society at the bottom of the ship*. Wouldn't they go down there, fix the engines, go back up and go "we've been gone how long?" Time would seem to pass normally for them right?

* i am an idiot, so this might be the problem.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Keep in mind that time was still passing differently at the end of the ship when they left the bridge. So what should have been "Let's go down and check the engines are okay" becomes "Holy gently caress we left 30 seconds ago but the engines have somehow been running without maintenance for years if not decades by now!?!"

There would have been somebody there smart enough to figure out the time dilation and that if they went back the engines were likely to break down even further, so they figured they would do their best to fix things. They probably needed all hands on deck and they would have been fully aware that it might be years or decades before they could return to the bridge if at all. By the time they were able to send people, the original intention of "Go up and get some more crew members to help out" had been corrupted into,"Retrieve more humans so we can survive. We must survive. We muzzzzt" - especially with the Master having arrived at some point and loving with everything to turn them to his advantage. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he just didn't go ahead and take out anybody in the society who was still aware of their origins.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Been working my way through the second Churchill boxset from Big Finish; it's chock full of fun references. Churchill contemplates who to turn to to solve a mystery and laments that "the pathologist and theater impresario aren't in business any more". And in a different episode, the Doctor and Churchill end up in a parallel earth where the most common flying machine is the zeppelin (because what else could it be in parallel earth); Churchill mentions not trusting the things after the R101. The Doctor is all "yeah; you're telling me"

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Makes sense i guess. Didn’t consider the engines would have been running unchecked for decades.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jivjov posted:

Been working my way through the second Churchill boxset from Big Finish; it's chock full of fun references. Churchill contemplates who to turn to to solve a mystery and laments that "the pathologist and theater impresario aren't in business any more". And in a different episode, the Doctor and Churchill end up in a parallel earth where the most common flying machine is the zeppelin (because what else could it be in parallel earth); Churchill mentions not trusting the things after the R101. The Doctor is all "yeah; you're telling me"

shame about the callous, violent racism

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

shame about the callous, violent racism

Yeah, it's tough because otherwise The Talons of Weng Chiang is so good :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh, just looked up the 2nd Churchill boxset, there’s a Luis Ortega? He’s played by Owen Aaronovitch, who’s the brother of Ben, writer of Remembrance of the Daleks and the excellent Rivers of London series.

Also, Owen is married to Fiona Bruce, who’s just everywhere on the BBC. That must make for some interesting family meetups.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
BF has released the cover artwork for that Lady Chirstina audio coming out:

Probably not the most flattering picture of Michelle Ryan they could have chosen...so we've got Sylvia Noble to look forward to (I like Jacqueline King, and it depends if it's snooty Sylvia, or post Journey's End Sylvia), Sam Bishop (crossover from their new UNIT series), Sontarans, which BF usually find something interesting to do with, and...Slitheen.

The farting. Can't you hear it? I thought it would stop, but it never does. Never, ever stops. Inside my head. The farting, Doctor. The constant farting.

[e]: Yeah apparently him in a UNIT cameo.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 4, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh so that is supposed to be Sam Bishop? I was afraid they were just reusing the art for him because Warren Brown's in it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Probably not the most flattering picture of Michelle Ryan they could have chosen...so we've got Sylvia Noble to look forward to (I like Jacqueline King, and it depends if it's snooty Sylvia, or post Journey's End Sylvia), Sam Bishop (crossover from their new UNIT series), Sontarans, which BF usually find something interesting to do with, and...Slitheen.

The farting. Can't you hear it? I thought it would stop, but it never does. Never, ever stops. Inside my head. The farting, Doctor. The constant farting.

I'm impressed. Everyone on that cover looks faintly disgusted at the prospect of being there.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

docbeard posted:

I'm impressed. Everyone on that cover looks faintly disgusted at the prospect of being there.

Warren Brown is all "No! I've got to escape this boxset!", but they're literally trying to hook him back in.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Did anyone want the Slitheen back? Anyone? Why??

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

corn in the bible posted:

Big Finish have an entire soundboard of fart sounds they've never ever used, and decided that, now, this would be the boxset to use them on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pesky Splinter posted:

Warren Brown is all "No! I've got to escape this boxset!", but they're literally trying to hook him back in.

It took me a moment to realise it was a grappling hook and not part of DS9.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Yeah apparently him in a UNIT cameo.
VVV

haha, what? who the hell wanted this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

haha, what? who the hell wanted this?

No-one! Even the usually very supportive commenters on BF’s Facebook page were all ‘errrr...’ when it was announced.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF salvaged the Nimon. The Nimon! So I'll give it a shot.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Davros1 posted:

BF salvaged the Nimon. The Nimon! So I'll give it a shot.

I'm always willing to give BF a chance to rehabilitate a poo poo character...but that cover is absolutely atrocious. Going back to their fanfic roots I guess.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

From the new Target novelization of Rose...

RTD posted:

Rose saw a photo of a man with a fantastic jaw, dressed in a tweed jacket and bow tie. Then Clive kept the sequence going; an older, angry man in a brown caretaker’s coat, holding a mop; a blonde woman in braces running away from a giant frog in front of Buckingham Palace; a tall, bald black woman wielding a flaming sword; a young girl or boy in a hi-tech wheelchair with what looked like a robot dog at their side…

Okay.

But that doesn't make any loving sense. Clive noticed that the same man was appearing all through history. He wouldn't have any reason to think that people who look totally different are the same person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

From the new Target novelization of Rose...

Okay.

But that doesn't make any loving sense. Clive noticed that the same man was appearing all through history. He wouldn't have any reason to think that people who look totally different are the same person.

At the time they were being coy about the show being a reboot or not.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Is that a reference to Capaldi even though at that time the Doctor was still destined to die on Trenzalore?? Who do I have to call up and go absolutely mental at to get this changed?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
For a thread that doesn’t care about continuity all that much, the thread’s getting pretty mad about continuity.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Forget "but what about Trenzalore", if that angry mop man is supposed to be Capaldi, that's The Caretaker. How the hell is Clive getting a photo from nine years into the future?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FreezingInferno posted:

Forget "but what about Trenzalore", if that angry mop man is supposed to be Capaldi, that's The Caretaker. How the hell is Clive getting a photo from nine years into the future?

Cracks in time?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doesn’t Clive say something about the title being inherited over the years, passed from father to son?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The_Doctor posted:

Doesn’t Clive say something about the title being inherited over the years, passed from father to son?

Yes, because they're a series of identical people.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yes, because they're a series of identical people.

Well, I read it that line as covering the different faces a bit. Not all fathers/sons are identical.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

FreezingInferno posted:

Maybe he did some janitorial work on the side during his seventy years at Bill's university? :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

But that doesn't make any loving sense.

I love evergreen posts :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

docbeard posted:

even the bus is hiding it's shame face

• Locked thread