Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Bertil Roos comes to VIR sometimes. Looks like it's not on the schedule this year though.

They have a buncha stuff at Dominion, though! I still don't like the look of that track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Skip barber does arrrive and drive at NJMP. Don’t know how far you’re willing to travel though.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

The Prong Song posted:

They have a buncha stuff at Dominion, though! I still don't like the look of that track.

DR is a poo poo track and there are very good reasons that NASA dropped it.

Also, I think I saw you waiting to get into the gate when I was leaving at ~4:30 today.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

DR is a poo poo track and there are very good reasons that NASA dropped it.

Also, I think I saw you waiting to get into the gate when I was leaving at ~4:30 today.
Thanks for letting me try on your seat. I'm definitely a fat poo poo compared to you, though.

As if the alternator dying 3/4 of the way through the first session wasn't enough, an ignition coil died as my tires were touching pavement on the last session, leaving me to limp it home the hour and a half and ending with a blown-out cat.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Bummer, I was long gone by that time but I carry spare coils.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

Bummer, I was long gone by that time but I carry spare coils.

Well, thanks anyways. I'll be back for HyperFest, hopefully with a proper alignment and mechanical issues sorted.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone have a recommendation for a not too expensive (sub-$100 preferably) external GPS to use with my phone? It would be for the occasional track day and autocross.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The first question here is Android or IOS?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Anyone attending Gridlife At mid Ohio in a few weeks? I’ll be there, desperately trying to get my car ready. Weather hasn’t been very good for working on my car.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

The first question here is Android or IOS?

Android, should've said that first oops. Looking around the XGPS150A seems to be ok?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
The 150 is 1 (or 4?) Hz as far as I understand? You may want a 10 Hz version which is the 160 model. I’ve been using that for couple of years with iOS.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Afaik the Qstarz works well with both iOS and Android.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Would one of those infrared thermometers laser things be useful at all at a track day?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Surface temp of the pavement? They're handy to have, but for tire temps you need a probe you stick into the tire immediately you get off track.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I saw a cheap one at Harbor Freight and was trying to make up a reason to get one but I don't really need it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

Surface temp of the pavement? They're handy to have, but for tire temps you need a probe you stick into the tire immediately you get off track.

Ehh they're okay for showing the gradient across a tire. Mine doesn't match numbers wise with a probe, but the gradient across the face of the tire does.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Will Au-Yeung has had a pretty good run in time attack lately

Last year, set FWD record at gta road atlanta, then went to world time attack in australia where he finished 2nd in pro-am behind the mighty mouse crx. His wtac civic wasn't back in north america in time for superlap battle, so he raced his RSX, and put down a pretty respectable time of 1:43.9. The FWD record was set the same day by another guy with a 1:42.28. Before that day, only 5-6 cars had ever gone faster in the history of time attack, so a pretty good time for a FWD. Chris Rado's best time in the crazy front-wing car was 1:46.7.

Today was the opening round of the GTA season at buttonwillow and Will brought his WTAC civic. 1:37.308.

That's the overall track record, ahead of the Factor X NSX (1:37.5), the GST impreza (1:38.9), Lyfe GTR (1:40.4) Sierra Sierra evo (1:41), etc. loving crazy. Shows how far back US time attack is though. Will was like 9 seconds behind the top pro cars at WTAC last year so, uh, if any of those came over here they would crush the current times.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I wish time attack were at all a thing around here; it would be fun to build to that ruleset.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

I wish time attack were at all a thing around here; it would be fun to build to that ruleset.

Yeah it really was. Mod/lid required that all the windows were still in the car, but we made carbon skins that looked like doors for an evo. We were thinking about breaking the windows and putting them in a ziplock bag and taping them to the inside of the car but didn't go quite that far. Instead we just bolted them to the skins right at the bottom. Then we got protested because the wastegate dumps didn't exit far enough back (they basically went right out the side of the bumper).

I look at current cars and the vast majority are very far away from what the rules allow, even in enthusiast and street. I think I would want to build a street class car just because the front end aero can be way better than what enthusiast allows. I'm pretty sure that what I would put together for enthusiast the first time around might be in the letter of the rules but wouldn't be the next year.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 1, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The cars in WTAC are ridiculously developed, the winner last year was basically an unrecognizable prototype made of pure carbon fiber and unobtanium. I hope the rules in the various US series don't allow them to get that zany...at some point the money is just out of control right?

I like that Jim Houghton can crush everyone in gridlife with a K-swapped integra that runs a bunch of off the shelf Honda poo poo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
If I'm looking to get in to more performance oriented driving, does it make more sense to do something like a track day/HPDE or something like a driving school with Skip Barber or Bertil Roos? The PCA is running a track day at NJMP that looks interesting, but I think Skip Barber instructs there as well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

Yeah it really was. Mod/lid required that all the windows were still in the car, but we made carbon skins that looked like doors for an evo. We were thinking about breaking the windows and putting them in a ziplock bag and taping them to the inside of the car but didn't go quite that far. Instead we just bolted them to the skins right at the bottom. Then we got protested because the wastegate dumps didn't exit far enough back (they basically went right out the side of the bumper).

I look at current cars and the vast majority are very far away from what the rules allow, even in enthusiast and street. I think I would want to build a street class car just because the front end aero can be way better than what enthusiast allows. I'm pretty sure that what I would put together for enthusiast the first time around might be in the letter of the rules but wouldn't be the next year.

I was kind of curious about this (especially with respect to enthusiast class). The rules don't make a lot of sense to me, but I figured it was just meant to be loose in the first place, and they seem to favor a certain type of build / few certain starting cars.

jamal posted:

Will Au-Yeung has had a pretty good run in time attack lately

Last year, set FWD record at gta road atlanta, then went to world time attack in australia where he finished 2nd in pro-am behind the mighty mouse crx. His wtac civic wasn't back in north america in time for superlap battle, so he raced his RSX, and put down a pretty respectable time of 1:43.9. The FWD record was set the same day by another guy with a 1:42.28. Before that day, only 5-6 cars had ever gone faster in the history of time attack, so a pretty good time for a FWD. Chris Rado's best time in the crazy front-wing car was 1:46.7.

Today was the opening round of the GTA season at buttonwillow and Will brought his WTAC civic. 1:37.308.

That's the overall track record, ahead of the Factor X NSX (1:37.5), the GST impreza (1:38.9), Lyfe GTR (1:40.4) Sierra Sierra evo (1:41), etc. loving crazy. Shows how far back US time attack is though. Will was like 9 seconds behind the top pro cars at WTAC last year so, uh, if any of those came over here they would crush the current times.

One of the things that is awesome to me is how long Billy's record stood, also.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

They've had the big Willow record since 2009. Nice guys, fun to hang out with and they bring lots of snacks to the event.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

How do you guys feel about aftermarket launch control systems like those built in the Holley Dominator?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Where are people getting hawk pads in Miata fitments at good prices these days?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Have you checked Amazon third party sellers and eBay? I no-poo poo buy my Hawks there because they are usually like 20-30% cheaper.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You have a part number handy and a compound in mind? If i can make more than zero matching Amazon/ebay etc I'll usually do it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

jamal posted:

You have a part number handy and a compound in mind? If i can make more than zero matching Amazon/ebay etc I'll usually do it.

HB149G.505 - that should be DTC60's front for a '99 miata non-sport brakes.

Looks like amazon 3rd party has them for $117.38 shipped, ebay is around the same. Shipping would be to 13669.

BlackMK4 posted:

Have you checked Amazon third party sellers and eBay? I no-poo poo buy my Hawks there because they are usually like 20-30% cheaper.

I never even thought to check, thanks!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

HB149G.505 - that should be DTC60's front for a '99 miata non-sport brakes.

Looks like amazon 3rd party has them for $117.38 shipped, ebay is around the same. Shipping would be to 13669.

I never even thought to check, thanks!

Yeah I can make it $117, especially if you're ok with slightly slower shipping (like a week instead of 2 days). send me an email (peter at functionauto) or a pm if you want some.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

If I'm looking to get in to more performance oriented driving, does it make more sense to do something like a track day/HPDE or something like a driving school with Skip Barber or Bertil Roos? The PCA is running a track day at NJMP that looks interesting, but I think Skip Barber instructs there as well.

I think seat time / $ is pretty high with driving school. If you're just starting out and can afford that much in one chunk, you should do it. Anyone who's been doing HPDE for more than a few days and has been getting good marks from instructors would have less to gain. I only went to Bondurant, so I dunno if Skip Barber drills specific techniques like heel-toe and trail braking, which I found to be very helpful to have taught in isolation, instead of on a hot track.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

HPDE is the traditional starting point for people interested in track driving. PCA runs a good program (though I may be biased as a PCA instructor...) Skip/Bertil is usually geared towards people looking to go racing. Really anything instructed that fits your schedule and budget will be fine.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I note for the record that Skip Barber is out of business.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

I note for the record that Skip Barber is out of business.

They are not. They were bought by DeMonte racing and DeMonte is running with the well known Skip Barber name. They even do crazy poo poo like helicopter you from Manhattan to NJMP. They’re using Mustangs as the track vehicle. I did a day with DeMonte and those Mustangs are bad rear end.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

KidDynamite posted:

They are not. They were bought by DeMonte racing and DeMonte is running with the well known Skip Barber name. They even do crazy poo poo like helicopter you from Manhattan to NJMP. They’re using Mustangs as the track vehicle. I did a day with DeMonte and those Mustangs are bad rear end.

Huh. I guess I was thrown off by buying stuff from the bankruptcy auction.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

poo poo that sounds badass.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm really interested in getting into some rookie racing but I don't really know how to start. :shobon: I've read enough jalopnik articles about track days and rookie rally racers that I'm really getting the bug, but I need some more information.

It seems like most racing is reserved for Lewis Hamiltons that started karting at age 2 and are already signed to a sponsored team by the time they're 15 and live as a full-time racer.
I have a good career that I don't want to stop but man I'd really love to do some races here and there on the side as a hobby, not full time or anything. But I'm not sure how to start or even if that's possible?

There's a track near me (Austin, TX) that does time trials, so I may try to do that. And there's opportunities to rent supercars to drive on that course or at COTA, which is expensive but would be a pretty wild time.
But what about actual wheel-to-wheel racing and passing and stuff? I can totally get that you don't want random teenage yahoos coming in with no experience smashing people and ruining races. But so... how do you get started?

They have some programs at the track for 'learning racing' but I feel like I'd spend several hundred dollars just to have them teach me the basics and then that'd be that. I need something that's like a proper intro to competition. I'm willing to put in the hours and pay money and take lessons if that's what it takes, but I don't want to just spend money for lessons unless I know its actually building towards getting into races.

I'm not naive, I know I'm not anywhere remotely ready to just show up to the Pirelli challenge or something. But what else is there? It seems like there's a huge gap between karting and time trials and actual GT racing. Do I just have to do kart races first?

Even in kart racing, it seems like there's a huge gulf between "tiny restricted karts for kids on weekends" and "proper fast karts that cost tons of money and race each other".

Also looking to purchase some old car as a project / track car and kit it up, although that makes me question what races or leagues or anything I might potentially be qualified for in the future, and if so, I'd want to get a car or build a car that fits the regulations of whatever league. So I kinda want to get an early idea of where to go and what options I have before I start throwing down serious cash.

There's a rally course not too far outside Austin that seems to accept basically any car and doesn't require a roll cage, so I may just do time trials on that rally course and avoid actual racing. But it would be super awesome to get into some real races on a track someday.

E: Like if I kit up some Miata, are there rookie leagues I could race in? If I'm not qualified yet, what would I have to do to get qualified? X hours on a track? X hours with an instructor? What are the requirements and what kinda races should I be looking at?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 4, 2018

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

kimbo305 posted:

I think seat time / $ is pretty high with driving school. If you're just starting out and can afford that much in one chunk, you should do it. Anyone who's been doing HPDE for more than a few days and has been getting good marks from instructors would have less to gain. I only went to Bondurant, so I dunno if Skip Barber drills specific techniques like heel-toe and trail braking, which I found to be very helpful to have taught in isolation, instead of on a hot track.

I don't know, anyone who hasn't been in a car being driven by a professional still has tons to learn about taking a vehicle to its limits. When I did the mid-ohio school I did a ride along with one of the former Indy drivers after doing the first few lead-follow sessions and holy shiiiiiit it blew my mind.

Granted, you're right, I had only done autocross before that with no track time, but being able to experience that rapidly opened my understanding of a vehicle's limits.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Like if I kit up some Miata, are there rookie leagues I could race in? If I'm not qualified yet, what would I have to do to get qualified? X hours on a track? X hours with an instructor? What are the requirements and what kinda races should I be looking at?
https://nasatx.com/

Start in HPDE1, work your way up to W2W.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BlackMK4 posted:

https://nasatx.com/

Start in HPDE1, work your way up to W2W.

loving ace, thanks.

E: Yeah this is exactly perfect. Starting with no passing and instructors in cars, moving to passing on straights, then eventually moving to solo driving and passing. That's exactly what I was hoping for.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

SlapActionJackson posted:

HPDE is the traditional starting point for people interested in track driving. PCA runs a good program (though I may be biased as a PCA instructor...) Skip/Bertil is usually geared towards people looking to go racing. Really anything instructed that fits your schedule and budget will be fine.

KidDynamite posted:

Thanks guys. I was thinking of the "new" Skip Barber because they put you in a race-prepped mustang and it seems like it'd be a pretty nice setup. Skip Barber uses mustangs, Bertil Roos uses open wheel racers. I'm in a similar spot to Zaphod. I've done some autocross, but unsure of whether it makes more sense to do HPDEs as a next step or try to get in to something like karting.