Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

*BUZZER SOUND*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
wait lol nevermind can't delete stuff off my desktop

"The process for the trash protocol died unexpectedly"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

no

the system bus is contained within the soc, there's no direct external access to it.

videocore is a total and utter commercial failure which is why it got repurposed into a broadcom marketing vehicle in the form of raspberry pi i guess in the hopes of recouping the m&a cost of buying the guys who originally designed it.

rpi 3+ already has gigabit ethernet on usb 2 (so there's 300ish mbits of usable throughput). they'll custom-design a new vcX chip for the pi4, so whatever it has will be dictated by whatever they can cram inside a $30 cost envelope. usb 3 controller with a usb-c connector? maybe. that would be pretty dope. pcie seems a little unlikely but i guess it's possible.

will they let people actually build them into their designs at a small quantity now?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Why is there a gap between top and bottom workspaces in Unity? Why is that gap as wide or wider than a title bar on a window is tall? Why can you drag windows far enough into this gap that the title bar is no longer clickable from the top work space or the bottom?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

TimWinter posted:

Why is there a gap between top and bottom workspaces in Unity? Why is that gap as wide or wider than a title bar on a window is tall? Why can you drag windows far enough into this gap that the title bar is no longer clickable from the top work space or the bottom?

no one uses unity and Ubuntu is pivoting away from it so this doesn’t matter

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
18.04 isn't out yet!!!

Or is it?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
close enough, ive been using it on my laptop since december or so, and things are usually pretty stable 3-4 weeks before release of a LTS

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I don't know anything about graphics, because that's a waste of cool GPU hardware, but from a compute point of view, everyone seems to be converging on NVIDIA-like SIMT architectures. Partly because they work really well, partly because CUDA took over everything, so it's the model GPGPU programmers tend to think in.

I also second that modern AMD drivers are cool and good. The only reason I still use their proprietary bits is because I need OpenCL to do compute, and even that seems to be inching towards being open source.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's kind of sad that so much duplicated effort is going into both Radv and AMDVLK

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Athas posted:

I don't know anything about graphics, because that's a waste of cool GPU hardware,

Post your cryptocurrency portfolio

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

those talos raptor power9 workstations are actually shipping now

if you have several thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket you can pick one up to play with

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

those talos raptor power9 workstations are actually shipping now

if you have several thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket you can pick one up to play with

no one has actually posted about getting one, anywhere. and the company claims to be filling 2017 pre-orders before new orders.

in short, i will believe it when i see it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the other thing about those guys: talos II, as opposed to the first talos that was never actually manufactured, doesn't look like a custom design

the case is so drat big it could very easily be the supermicro openpower reference design stuffed in a deskside. in which case you could build it yourself for a lot less money

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
haha here's another reason to be skeptical

it appears that no one is shipping power9 yet. ibm has a single power9 sku, and it's $65,000 in base trim, sold only as part of scientific computing / hpc deals

tyan and supermicro have no power9 skus

openpower has no power9 reference design

there's no aix power9 hardware yet

you can't buy power9 processor cards for existing power systems

this poo poo is vaporware

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
riscv desktop when

there's a rpi-ish thing out at the moment that costs $1000 but it's so goddamn engineering-sample that there's a grid of bnc connectors on it for hooking up a scope to the ddr bus

and that core is in-order anyway so it's not even rpi-tier, let alone like c2d-tier which is what i'd consider an acceptable standard for actual day to day usage.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

haha here's another reason to be skeptical

it appears that no one is shipping power9 yet. ibm has a single power9 sku, and it's $65,000 in base trim, sold only as part of scientific computing / hpc deals

tyan and supermicro have no power9 skus

openpower has no power9 reference design

there's no aix power9 hardware yet

you can't buy power9 processor cards for existing power systems

this poo poo is vaporware

they had a booth at the openpower summit with working demo systems (including running unreal engine 4)

not linking phoronix, but apparently they let that guy play with one as he has some benchmarks

google announced that they currently have their zaius platform power9 systems deployed in their data centers as well

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 3, 2018

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

processor architecture seems like a weird thing for a Power User to get hung up on

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

they had a booth at the openpower summit with working demo systems (including running unreal engine 4)

not linking phoronix, but apparently they let that guy play with one as he has some benchmarks

google announced that they currently have their zaius platform power9 systems deployed in their data centers as well

a bunch of engineering samples isn't a product

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a bunch of engineering samples isn't a product

nor is it vaporware that nobody has actually seen or touched

the systems are allegedly in full production and starting to ship to customers now, so we'll know soon enough

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i doubt anyone thinks the power9 in and of itself is vaporware, ibm has done processors before it turns out. i assume from context that nbsd is calling the whatever-it-was long-promised power9-based workstation made by no-names vaporware

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its vaporware in the sense that nothing worthwhile runs on it even if the desktops existed

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
like the modern “Amigas”

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Wheany posted:

Post your cryptocurrency portfolio

0.1 monero (not slang, there is actually a buttcoin called that) that some guy on IRC gave me for answering some questions about OpenCL.

GPUs are also too interesting to waste them on something as boring as hashes. They are of course for computing prefix sums.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Progressive JPEG posted:

processor architecture seems like a weird thing for a Power User to get hung up on

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

like the modern “Amigas”

modern "amigas" also have a tendency to get hung up at the engineering sample stage

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

eschaton posted:

like the modern “Amigas”

i honest to god just found out about the x5000 over the weekend and... it's cool but what on earth is it for?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
http://amigaonthelake.com/amigaone-x5000-system-first-encounters-bundle/

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

i honest to god just found out about the x5000 over the weekend and... it's cool but what on earth is it for?

jerking it to 1980s video games

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

The AmigaOne X5000 System, comes all together with a premium Fractal Design Core 2300 case. Top quality 550 watt power supply, A New tested (guaranteed to work) Sound Card, Radeon 7750 graphic card, 4GB ram and a 1.0TB Seagate Desktop HDD 3.5-inch SATA 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive, Internal DVD/CD-writer reader.

their emphasis

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
over $1800 for the base model with 4gb of ram. even apple wouldn't do that to you.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Their target audience is old, morbidly obese and on deaths door funnelling all they have into health care. Good luck with that nostalgia bux lol

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

whyyyyy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

their emphasis

sound cards supported by amigaos are probably 32 bit pci cards from 1998

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
come buy a brand new computer with no traps

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

what if traps are my kink? :v:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
nothing wrong with traps and the patching thereof

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

what if traps are my kink? :v:

what if you shut your trap

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sound cards supported by amigaos are probably 32 bit pci cards from 1998

i was partly joking about this but looking at the x5000 page it actually does have 5v, 32 bit pci slots

like 1990s-type pci slots

they might actually be selling new old stock soundblasters or something

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i was partly joking about this but looking at the x5000 page it actually does have 5v, 32 bit pci slots

like 1990s-type pci slots

they might actually be selling new old stock soundblasters or something
my intel C226(haswell) motherboard has a pci slot, and even a old-timey serial port. it's from a precision workstation, so i guess dell had one or two customers that required it for some reason that were big enough for them to bother to oblige.

i kinda want to dig up my old envy24 sound card, since it works in osx ootb without hacky poo poo, and even moreso just because i can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Laslow posted:

my intel C226(haswell) motherboard has a pci slot, and even a old-timey serial port. it's from a precision workstation, so i guess dell had one or two customers that required it for some reason that were big enough for them to bother to oblige.

i kinda want to dig up my old envy24 sound card, since it works in osx ootb without hacky poo poo, and even moreso just because i can.

serial ports are timeless and will never be obsolete :colbert: