Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

NEED MORE MILK posted:

it would own to have a macbook with an ipad processor where throttling isnt an issue at all and also with a gigantic battery but i think we all know they'll use that opportunity to make it .1mm thinner instead of leaving the larger battery in there

it would own to have a MacBook with an iPad GPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

cis autodrag posted:

I like having touchid on my MacBook. I just removed all the useless buttons from the touch bar and now it's fine.

Don't paint your nails before you type on it though because the keyboard will stop working forever.

touchID is p nice. for the buttons, I just swapped the Siri button for Lock Screen.

e: just had the watch unlock work after taking the dog out. yo thats :krad:

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 4, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i got an the new ipad (2018) today. it seems nice and is faster than the ipad air 1 i replaced with it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

unlocking your Mac with the Apple Watch is the top tier way to unlock it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Last Chance posted:

I luv to watch all my coworkers lift their arms to their faces in perfect unison every time an all department email goes out. You wouldn't catch me dead in a dorkwatch

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

I luv to watch all my coworkers lift their arms to their faces in perfect unison every time an all department email goes out. You wouldn't catch me dead in a dorkwatch

:yeah:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
nice capacitor design CRAPple

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

68030? get a PPC noob

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

only ppl on my VIP list get to jiggle my watch at a moment's notice.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Last Chance posted:

only ppl on my VIP list get to jiggle my watch at a moment's notice.

see, we're not jerking each other off, it's a Dutch rudder

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

my job gave me a top of the line 2015 macbook pro. feels good man

mine isn’t top of the line but it’s the same release. it’s the best laptop ever made EVER

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

i got an the new ipad (2018) today. it seems nice and is faster than the ipad air 1 i replaced with it

thanks to living in stupid fuckin nz it’s not here yet

also getting the pencil

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

last update to podcasts removed force touch support for reasons unknown. and I had just gotten used to it

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
dont use podcast.app

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
use overcast by former goon macro orment

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Silver Alicorn posted:

nice SE/30, how much RAM is that? and what rev is the board? when I recapped one of mine I found out it was a super early rev, it had patch wires…

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Last Chance posted:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Latest macOS Update Disables DisplayLink, Rendering Thousands of Monitors Dead

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You're looking at it wrong

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

so is this some funky software solution that is broken? i thought things like duet basically work like airplay displays in that they encode some fast video feed and stream it to the receiver

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

every usb 2.0/3.0 hub that provides monitor outputs uses displaylink

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

eschaton posted:

nice SE/30, how much RAM is that? and what rev is the board? when I recapped one of mine I found out it was a super early rev, it had patch wires…

it's not early enough to have bodge wires. I've already taken it in/out of the case enough for one week

the bottom 4 simms add up to 8mm, no idea about the top 4 but they do sure have a lot of chips

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tankakern posted:

every usb 2.0/3.0 hub that provides monitor outputs uses displaylink

yikes well that truly suuuuucks

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I use thunderbolt lets roll those dice

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

linking slashdot in 2018

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

poo poo you almost got me, I use a sweet-rear end 27” Apple Brand LED Cinema Display via DisplayPort and I confused link with port for a second there.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

hmm Apple should really make some more monitors, I’d get an iMac but I work remotely like one or two days a week and I need my main screen to accommodate whatever piece of junk work has me dragging home and back. Took forever to find a used LED cinema display to get a screen that doesn’t require the super-rare thunderbolt port.

like just the newest imac but as a monitor using displayport. yessss.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

computer toucher posted:

hmm Apple should really make some more monitors, I’d get an iMac but I work remotely like one or two days a week and I need my main screen to accommodate whatever piece of junk work has me dragging home and back. Took forever to find a used LED cinema display to get a screen that doesn’t require the super-rare thunderbolt port.

like just the newest imac but as a monitor using displayport. yessss.

thunderbolt is required for 5k displays

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/04/apple-iphones-touchless-curved/

lol theres no way im believing another bloomberg rumor now

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

hobbesmaster posted:

doesn't this rumor keep coming up every couple of years?

just like when they were on power pc switching to intel came up regularly?

well that rumor was true so

poty
Jun 21, 2008

duet is dumb i regret spending 10 bucks on it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poty posted:

duet is dumb i regret spending 10 bucks on it

eh, decent concept but I always need a bigger screen than my ipad or mba so its forever a gimmick

poty posted:

well that rumor was true so

as im sure they build a full macos for arm because the cost of one guy maintaining a concept build isnt much and its great leverage

even easier when the full build has their custom chips and also they use the same base os for all their devices

wanna see that ipadbook pro

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quick reminder that all apple rumors are automatically true because tim is grossly negligent about security

poty
Jun 21, 2008

intel has been a bit poo poo for a while. its shameful that a macbook pro cant drive 5k screens from every port ityool 2018. i hope they go to arm asap good riddance

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

linking slashdot in 2018

remember where you are

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Watch Apple build arm chips into macs to drop intel’s stock to the point they can buy them, then they’ll use Intel to build A-series chips and kill Sarnsung

they’ll know it as timb’s revenge

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Endless Mike posted:

iPad Air

dual core A7 chip @1.4 GHz

PowerVR GT6430 4 cluster GPU

1 GB RAM

-- Versus --

iPad 6th Generation

quad-core A10 chip @ 2.34 GHz

PowerVR 7XT GT7600 Plus 6 cluster GPU

2 GB RAM

mmmmyeah checks out

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 4, 2018

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

computer toucher posted:

poo poo you almost got me, I use a sweet-rear end 27” Apple Brand LED Cinema Display via DisplayPort and I confused link with port for a second there.

yeah displayport and pcie over usb c (thunderbolt 3) is the real way to connect monitors

i installed the displaylink drivers on my computer to try to use a work-issued hp branded multi monitor usb hub and it was very bad. color banding everywhere, could even see color bands in the grey shading on macos windows.

got proper usb-c to DisplayPort dongles the next day and turned around 365 degrees and dragged the displaylink drivers to the trash

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
FYI: Woot has the 5K LG Thunderbolt displays for $620 today if you’re in the market for A Very Good LCD https://computers.woot.com/offers/lg-27-5k-ultra-fine-led-monitor-black-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jimmy Carter posted:

FYI: Woot has the 5K LG Thunderbolt displays for $620 today if you’re in the market for A Very Good LCD https://computers.woot.com/offers/lg-27-5k-ultra-fine-led-monitor-black-1

holy poo poo that’s a great price. I have this monitor. the actual screen is great. the stand is wonky because lol LG. I might buy a second one now.

also, it ONLY has TB/usb c ports on it. do not buy unless you have a touchbar MacBook and you’re living the usb c lifestyle.