Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
That end for Mazda was heartbreaking but holy poo poo have they improved this program in just one race. They took advantage of their competitors' misfortunes in some cases but that looked like a competent race team at pretty much every turn

Also I want to publicly apologize to Harry Tincknell about thinking he was a dumb hire, the guy is a beast and gently caress the FIA for making him go to Fuji instead of PLM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBf0WudmKpM

Basticle fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 18, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Cygni, thanks for the encouragement to go to Sebring. I've been to a lot of races in my life, but I truly don't think I've ever had that much fun at one.

Now hopefully the euro guys don't gently caress it up next year, but goddamn I foresee some entertaining nights in green park with the mix next year.

F Troop mixing with euro race fans is going to be magical.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gently caress yeah, that kicks rear end man.

i think im gonna try to go next year too, the idea of another endurance race STARTING as the couches are still burning in the infield sounds... incredible.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

i think im gonna try to go next year too, the idea of another endurance race STARTING as the couches are still burning in the infield sounds... incredible.

Anyone who immediately thought the idea of two back-to-back 12 hour endurance races at Sebring was a dumb idea; is they themselves, dumb.

Yes, it's going to be a clusterfuck and a logistical nightmare. But it will be a glorious clusterfuck and a logistical nightmare.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Anyone who immediately thought the idea of two back-to-back 12 hour endurance races at Sebring was a dumb idea; is they themselves, dumb.

Yes, it's going to be a clusterfuck and a logistical nightmare. But it will be a glorious clusterfuck and a logistical nightmare.

It being the dumbest idea doesn't automatically make it anything other than ludicrously entertaining.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they should do a "second chance" thing where any car that DNFs the first race gets to start in the second race if they repair their car fast enough

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they should do a "second chance" thing where any car that DNFs the first race gets to start in the second race if they repair their car fast enough

Top 3 from each class get to run in the next race, and if they win they get auto pole position for le mans.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
My dad and I are going to try to get down there next year

It's gonna be a glorious poo poo show

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

I know we care and fret about some of these logistical things, but really, if they have this cuckoo-bananas idea, it’s their problem to pull it off. You just have to pack (more) booze and keep the party going.

Apparently there were going to be meetings Sunday about next year, so we’ll see what scuttlebutt escapes in the coming days.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I'm sure this back-to-back thing is going to happen, but I would be flabbergasted if they stuck to the "two hours between races" deal. The paddock will be jam-packed an the track is going to be a war zone that will need to be cleaned up a fair bit to get it in fair condition for the start of a race.

If you're going to Sebring for it, I'd start planning for a 30 hour party.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

WindyMan posted:

I'm sure this back-to-back thing is going to happen, but I would be flabbergasted if they stuck to the "two hours between races" deal. The paddock will be jam-packed an the track is going to be a war zone that will need to be cleaned up a fair bit to get it in fair condition for the start of a race.

If you're going to Sebring for it, I'd start planning for a 30 hour party.

That's the thing, there's actually plenty of room. The one thing Sebring has is space.

If jet dryers hit the track to blow it off the second the race ends, festivities take an hour or so, there's no reason they can't be on track 2 hours after the race ends. Hell, call it 2.5 just to be on the safe side.

The best thing about that canopy that blew out is it wasn't someone camping. It was the actual track workers canopy.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Pastor Maldonado is going to be driving in WEC this season.

There is no way Alonso will survive Le Mans with Maldonado and Krohn on the same track

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
DUBPOST

PWC COTA preview:
Streaming at http://world-challenge.com/streamvideo/ (youtube-based)

GT SprintX:
15 GT (Pro, Pro/Am, Am) entries
5 GTC (Lambo, 911, Ferrari cup cars) entries
4:45p EDT Saturday - Race 1
3:10p EDT Sunday - Race 2

GTS SprintX:
38 GTS entries :getin:
2:20p EDT Saturday - Race 1
11:15a EDT Sunday - Race 2

TCR/TCA:
14 TCR entries
14 TCA entries
5:55p EDT Saturday - Race 1
1:25p EDT Sunday - Race 2

TC:
17 TC entries
1:10p EDT Saturday - Race 1
4:25p EDT Sunday - Race 2

Also racing (not sure of streams):
MX-5 Cup - 3:30p EDT Sat, 10a EDT Sun
Radical Cup NA - 6:45p EDT Sat, 12:30p & 5:20p EDT Sun

e: handy-dandy schedule screenshot (in EDT)

e2: radical has 3 races

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 22, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
jesus, even America is getting a TCR series now

I wish TCR was cooler, they seem weirdly antiseptic for touring cars

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah, PWC started allowing TCR spec cars in their TC/TCA class last year.

the antiseptic look is probably because it uses spec aero. its a low cost spec, afterall.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
NGTC which the BTCC uses is also low cost and looks much cooler imo. They missed their chance to become an international series when STCC decided to go to a really expensive DTM-lite series that ended up with single-digit grid entries, but it's definitely succeeding in the UK. I think TCR is in a weird space between looking like production cars and looking like purpose-built race cars and doesn't look as cool as it should.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It also doesn't help TCR that they keep running these giant grand prix circuits and there's no sadder sight than touring cars on a circuit way too big for them.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Also!

VLN opens Saturday too

Wake up early on saturday (6:15 am EDT) and watch cars of all shapes and speeds race around the combined Nurburgring for 4 hours

Should be live in sound and vision at https://www.radiolemans.co

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

njsykora posted:

It also doesn't help TCR that they keep running these giant grand prix circuits and there's no sadder sight than touring cars on a circuit way too big for them.

yeah STCC has great touring car circuits so that series is much more fun than the international series running Bahrain and Qatar or wherever

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Spirit of Daytona is gonna miss Long Beach due to tub damage. That sucks.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/148270-spirit-of-daytona-to-skip-long-beach

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cygni posted:

Spirit of Daytona is gonna miss Long Beach due to tub damage. That sucks.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/148270-spirit-of-daytona-to-skip-long-beach

Two years in a row, too.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

JPM to drive for United Autosport at Le Mans.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If all the LMP1's melt down and JPM wins it, taking the triple crown, I'm gonna lol forever

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

If all the LMP1's melt down and JPM wins it, taking the triple crown, I'm gonna lol forever

United are in probably the equal fastest chassis at Le Mans and there's a decent chance they'll have a competent crew there too.
If the Toyota's break (when the Toyota's break or Gazoo out of the race) then they're right up in it with a chance.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
As Graham Goodwin put it, the privateers have to have 2 things to fight for the win at Le Mans. They have to be reliable, and reliably only a little faster than the P2s. I'm not sure they're gonna hit that first part on the second race of the season.

Predicting it now, LMP2 on the overall podium again this year. Next year I think the podium will be all P1s

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

http://britishgt.com/news/350

British GT coverage this season will be livestreamed free.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

http://britishgt.com/news/350

British GT coverage this season will be livestreamed free.

:gizz:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Race 1 was fun and had the first ever female outright winner

Race 2 about to start and its heavily raining :getin:

e: the race 1 winning car has aquaplaned and crashed on the formation lap

CactusWeasle fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 2, 2018

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Next year's Sebring WEC/IMSA double-header looks like it will be less of a shitshow.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/148447-wec-sebring-race-moved-ahead-of-12-hours

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah, a Friday race from a separate pit complex sounds like way less of a logistical nightmare.

I'mma have to get tickets as soon as they're available, aren't I?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I uh, huh:

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/148450-tvr-commits-to-lmp1-presence-for-super-season

Did not see that coming, although I've apparently missed their chairman talking about it for ages.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I had no idea TVR still existed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I haven’t seen a TVR since John Travolta drove one in Swordfish.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I had no idea TVR still existed.

They're making a limited run of GBP90k cars.
I don't know if "existed" is a word I'd use, considering Morgan prolly makes more cars per year than TVR does.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Hmmm 1000 miles will still be a 9-10 hour race.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Basticle posted:

Hmmm 1000 miles will still be a 9-10 hour race.

1000 miles or 8 hours, whichever is first.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

1000 miles or 8 hours, whichever is first.

Where do you see that?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Schlesische posted:

They're making a limited run of GBP90k cars.
I don't know if "existed" is a word I'd use, considering Morgan prolly makes more cars per year than TVR does.

Delorean makes more cars than TVR. I don’t think they’ve actually started production again, so it’s been like 12 years since a production car came off the assembly line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Basticle posted:

Where do you see that?

Racer article I linked.

quote:

Under the previously announced schedule, the start of the FIA WEC's 1,000-mile race was meant to follow two hours after IMSA's 12-hour event, or approximately 12:40 a.m. Sunday; in the new agreement with IMSA and the fabled 3.7-mile circuit it owns, the European series will shift its race to Friday. A cap of eight hours has also been placed on the WEC round.