Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My prediction: the mail robot is the only main character left alive.

Everyone would have felt bad about Gadd's death had he not abused that poor, pure mail robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the FBI actually did use mail robots well into the 90s so unless we're going alternate history it's canon that Mail Robot lives :colbert:

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I love the show. It’s probably for the best the producers are ending the show before it runs out of steam. Granted, at one time I wondered if they would have the show last until the 1990s. I usually hate TV shows for long leaps forwards in time, but it seemed unavoidable here. The show needed to have Paige in college to make any of her extracurricular activities look believable. We the viewers didn’t need to see the day to day expansion of the travel agency. The actor who plays Henry is growing up and going through puberty so there’s only so much the script writers can do (1 of several reasons Henry attends boarding school I’m sure). Since last season was written as a slow burn, the writers would have been hard pressed to depict Elizabeth’s gradual overwork as a solo spy and spy trainer and spy controller and... etc etc.

My hot theory about Chekhov’s poision pill: Elizabeth uses it to bump off Stan’s girlfriend after she suspects or actually discovers Elizabeth’s secret identity. Or maybe Stan’s girlfriend is somehow involved with the arms treaty negotiations and Elizabeth has to take her out.

I hope Oleg is not doomed coming to America to recruit Philip.

Earwicker posted:

Smiley: sir there are rumors in the intelligence community that the American FBI has an agent who's lived across the street from two KGB operatives for six years and he still has no idea even though they've murdered his partner, bugged his office, and one of them punched his boss in the face. at one point he was part of an operation that would have captured them but this was compromised because of his relationship with a Soviet embassy worker

Control: he sounds like Circus material, send someone to recruit him

I would sign up for a movie sequel/prequel to The Americans crossing over to the John le Carre’ spyworld... though I’d hate to see Gary Oldman’s contract demands. Not to mention le Carre’s!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

At one point I was sure they'd employ timeskips to have this show end with the wall falling, or something, but in retrospect I'm glad they didn't go that route. Seems too obvious.

Who knows though we may still have another timeskip ahead of us before this season is done.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/981090176368857089

2018 Russian postal service cannot replicate the success of the 1970's FBI mail robot

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Given the service life of all 80s tech, Mail Robot is assuredly dead after the time skip.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Mail Robot suffered undetected internal bleeding after Gad’s cowardly assault on it and passed away shortly after.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Given the service life of all 80s tech, Mail Robot is assuredly dead after the time skip.

dude what, do you know how many 80s computers you can find that still work? those things were built like tanks

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mail Robot is coming back, it came up in an interview.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They all gonna get busted when Henry plays an exhibition against some youth Soviet hockey team and Elizabeth accidentally cheers when the Soviet kids score.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sportsgenius86 posted:

They all gonna get busted when Henry plays an exhibition against some youth Soviet hockey team and Elizabeth accidentally cheers when the Soviet kids score.

After a mid-season time skip, Henry is on the Olympic hockey team in 1988

(to save you the Google, the Russian team got the Gold that year)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Did you know that originally the mail robot was pulled along with fishing wire, but for the recent seasons they actually turned it into a giant RC car with a controller and working drive wheels.

I am glad they have invested so much into this central character.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Finally Phil vs Liz is finally happening :neckbeard:

:same:
#teamelizabeth

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fast Luck posted:

#teamelizabeth

:same:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the robot not only survived the time skip, but was still around many years later. This is government equipment we're talking about, it was probably chugging right along with whatever ancient IBM mainframe they were keeping on life support.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

How did Donald Blythe become VP if he was a Soviet informer?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Stan is not a very good couples counselor.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So angry painter is getting the poison pill, right?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Yeah, that doesn't sound like Stavos."

Phil just dunking on Henry the Dork.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

:stare:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

:stonk:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
drat, I feel like straight murder will be a bit harder for Paige to rationalize. Though it might be a nice barometer to see the direction they are taking her this season.

Good episode overall. Definitely felt like it was geared more towards moving pieces around, and I'm psyched for where they seem to be going.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"I ask her to please bring me another beer. She was already standing." Stan is like c'mon dude get it together.

The final shot of the scene where Elizabeth was talking to Paige about sex and espionage had 2 of the worst CGI vehicles I have ever seen. It was glaringly bad.

Baronash posted:

drat, I feel like straight murder will be a bit harder for Paige to rationalize. Though it might be a nice barometer to see the direction they are taking her this season.

Good episode overall. Definitely felt like it was geared more towards moving pieces around, and I'm psyched for where they seem to be going.

At least she didn't walk in on Elizabeth loving some dude then killing him :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Glad that mail robot is back. Missed you, buddy.

Stan is going to be so hurt when he finds out about Phillip. It's going to break his heart.

And I bet cyanide pill gets used on cancer wife

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was waiting for "it's not my blood."

Besides, Paige straight up watched her mother murder two guys with a knife. This was tame in comparison.

Also, did anyone else wonder why the General was packing such a dinky little pistol?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 5, 2018

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It kinda bothered me a little that Paige took that shot. Elizabeth was close enough to get blood splatter which meant that the bullet probably hit his face. She should have aimed at the body or something.

It's great to have the Colonel from season 1 back.

I guess euthanasia was a much more taboo subject back then, but would it hurt Elizabeth much to tell the patient that she can get the required material to do it right a week after the summit? And in the mean time she can administer as much morphine as she wants?

xerxus fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 5, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

xerxus posted:

It kinda bothered me a little that Paige took that shot.

Uh, from what I saw Elizabeth forced the gun in the General's hand under his chin, and forced him to pull the trigger. Paige wasn't armed, and if she had been, it would've completely invalidated setting the scene up as a suicide.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Uh, from what I saw Elizabeth forced the gun in the General's hand under his chin, and forced him to pull the trigger. Paige wasn't armed, and if she had been, it would've completely invalidated setting the scene up as a suicide.

You're right, I misread the scene completely.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

canyoneer posted:

And I bet cyanide pill gets used on cancer wife

Oh, I'm thinking this, too.

The question is - does Elizabeth, having developed a bit of a rapport with the dying woman, go for Round 2 of "Suicide Confessional" like she did with the poor old lady at the Mail Robot Repair Depot?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I took it as him willing to kill himself to maybe kill her, and her barely avoiding it. But yeah it definitely wasn't Paige.

Show's so drat good.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He'll never be the head of the airforce.

I loved the intercept the courier in the airport toilet bit of spywork. We can't open this diplomatic pouch without it being detected... so we'll just x-ray it through a toilet stall instead.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

At least she didn't walk in on Elizabeth loving some dude then killing him :v:

Yeah, it seems like Elizabeth flat out lying to Paige about using sex is something that's gonna come back on her. "Oh, and did I mention that your dad spent a couple of years being another woman's fake husband?"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Selachian posted:

Yeah, it seems like Elizabeth flat out lying to Paige about using sex is something that's gonna come back on her. "Oh, and did I mention that your dad spent a couple of years being another woman's fake husband?"

tbf she seemed to come around on it a little bit, on telling her the truth. Just in a roundabout way.

'Well, when you have to get that close to someone to get or learn something then sometimes you cross a line ...' and her basically admitting 'yeah I've hosed people for work' when Paige asks if she's heard stories of other agents doing it, and Elizabeth saying she isn't in contact with other people and doesn't hear stories.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Besides, Paige straight up watched her mother murder two guys with a knife. This was tame in comparison.

It's probably not so much about the method of killing but about the reason for it. We don't know what Paige has been told about this mission, but if it's something like "This general is interested in keeping the balance between our countries" then the setup is very different for her emotionally than being attacked by two thugs.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Elizabeth is going to be able to tell Paige that she was trying to stop the general from killing himself, which was why she was covered in blood

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Going by the way things have gone in the past, if this lithium sensor is so damned important, they're going to want Phil and Liz working together again to procure it through other avenues.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
If Elizabeth tells Philip the truth about how that mission went I would not be surprised if his daughter seeing her mom's face covered in brains because he wasn't there to be backup is the thing that gets him back in the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
this show is like: people who complained about season 5 being slow: eat poo poo lmao

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Does anyone remember the titles of any of the spy books that were recommended in previous threads?

Tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Paige, I forced you into this life and when you disobey my orders, you anger me for reacting as anyone would when they saw someone's face covered in blood for the first time. And GO HOME, YOU CAN'T STAY HERE."

Then Philip calls Elizabeth on the guy having access to the radiation sensor. "Had." :golfclap:

• Locked thread