Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

How is that not selfish?
Quentin accidentally set in motion a chain of events that caused magic to be turned off throughout the multiverse, which screwed over an untold number of innocent people.

Quentin has very good reason to believe that correcting this mistake will harm someone he loves dearly. He's resolved to do the right thing* despite that, ergo, he's not being selfish.

*assumption: the world is better off with magic in it. This is trivially easy to prove in the case of Fillory, and is presumably also true in the case of Earth.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Or he wants magic more than he wants his dad alive

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

blue squares posted:

I don't see that at all.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

blue squares posted:

He's hedging his bet that either he will be able to find a cure or perhaps Julia with her demi-god-like powers will be able to heal him and that his father won't be another Cancer Puppy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreenNight posted:

I don't see that at all.

Honestly, its debatable. Its hard to ignore the part where Quentin has dreamed his entire life of living this quest and being this hero. Its not even really about magic to Quentin, its about this childhood fantasy that got all wound up in his insecurity and depression and he's finally getting what he wants. We can interpret this whole thing as Quentin choosing the needs of the many over the needs of him and his father... but its hard to ignore that he's definitely getting something hugely personally satisfying out of this even beyond just the magic.

Julia, Elliot, and Margo have definitely grown and aren't acting selfishly anymore. And Kady and Penny have been sacrificing for each other for awhile (which is still sorta selfish but also not, its complicated). Alice is going the wrong way. Quentin? I really don't know. I'm skeptical.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alhazred posted:

This season couldn't even afford a pegasus, I doubt that they can afford Cthulhu in the next one.

The monster will just be someone we've already met. Maybe even a long con by The Beast or Reynard to get their power back/resurrection. The quest isn't some autonomous phenomenon, is was purposely created by someone, whomever the 'He' was that hired the demon from the musical episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The monster is Quentin's son.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

The monster is Quentin's son.

Ember and Umbers attic brother, Dumber.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rocksicles posted:

Ember and Umbers attic brother, Dumber.

I'll be down for this is if he's taken down by Dean Fog punching him through an empty picture frame.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh poo poo, we only have one episode left don't we???

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsRbFTPbuoY

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
stella maeve should take up this goddessing thing full-time

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zeal posted:

stella maeve should take up this goddessing thing full-time

Her Instagram proves she has :colbert:

I'm reading this article about Margo.

Margo’s ambition to invest herself in ruling Fillory earned her a cute little nickname from the writers in Season 2: “Fillory Clinton.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/03/magicians-margo-hillary-clinton-summer-bishil

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 4, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Castle Blackspire, it looks exactly like Whitespire to save money on sets.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

muscles like this! posted:

Castle Blackspire, it looks exactly like Whitespire to save money on sets.

Ha! Exactly my thought! It is really interesting to see though how they're still recycling elements from the books, even if they're not used the same way.

That animation at the start of the episode was beautiful, and they must have spent a chunk of change on that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol-ing at "Janet"

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

how the gently caress could it end the season like that

I've been a good person I don't deserve this

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Show about magic, 3rd season the magicians don't have access to magic. 4th season, magicians don't have access to magic.

Well, this is certainly one way to prolong the story beyond that what was in the books. We're in completely new territory here, folks.

I hope this monster doesn't imitate Eliot all of next season. I was really hoping that it was that Eliot's love for Quentin is what kept his memory alive. But apparently not.

muscles like this! posted:

Lol-ing at "Janet"

Yeah, I let out a "HA" at that also.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like Fen is going to be acting High King for longer than they thought.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I hope this monster doesn't imitate Eliot all of next season. I was really hoping that it was that Eliot's love for Quentin is what kept his memory alive. But apparently not.
I don't think we'll see Eliot again. Like, it doesn't imitate people, it steals their bodies.

I can't believe I have to wait until next year for this. I'm calling the police.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, I bet it can jump at will, it just didn't have anyone to jump into in the castle.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Pretty lame they set up the “you’ll regret this deal” thing and then she got away with her ridiculous scheme anyway. I’m sure it will be addressed later, but I thought that was kind of a lovely ending to an otherwise great season. Body jumping stuff has potential though. Lol at Julia essentially giving up goddesshood for nothing.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

mastajake posted:

Pretty lame they set up the “you’ll regret this deal” thing and then she got away with her ridiculous scheme anyway. I’m sure it will be addressed later, but I thought that was kind of a lovely ending to an otherwise great season. Body jumping stuff has potential though. Lol at Julia essentially giving up goddesshood for nothing.

Yeah, I didn't really like it, especially since the rest of the season was so great. And now we have amnesia bullshit and I don't think amnesia bullshit is all that interesting.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
i was loving this episode up until the ending

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This show really loves ending episodes (and seasons) abruptly. Some editor watched the ending of The Sopranos too many times.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I feel depressed after this episode.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Welp. That wasn't the ending I was expecting.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Well that went loving sideways, jesus.

So is our Penny just gone and we get alt-Penny? Did he get Harry Kim'ed?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
While the amnesia plot isn't what I was hoping for or expecting, the monster plot is fantastic.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
i don't like this ending. not one bit.

Can we get more Elliot x Quentin life partner stories plz?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I had really assumed that the back side of the deal the queen made was that as soon as they took her life a bunch of invincible fairies would appear and vivisect those two. But, no. That sucked. That ending was all in all kind of hard to watch because it feels like the beginning of season 4 is the same position for everyone they were in at the beginning of season 3.

Also, gently caress the library.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Whalley posted:

I don't think we'll see Eliot again. Like, it doesn't imitate people, it steals their bodies.

I can't believe I have to wait until next year for this. I'm calling the police.

I mean, alternately we're seeing him right now. This is a god-spawned mistake after all, it might not even be sentient. Like it wasn't jumping between the dude it was in and the chick who was guarding it, even though that apparently could have just given it the power to escape at any time. I'm thinking its more of a thoughtless, powerful force. They said it only wants after all, and what Eliot most wants would probably be to gently caress up the library pretty hard.

With that being said, I have pretty high hopes that next season knocks the amnesia plot on the head almost immediately as demiurge Eliot rounds up the crew to go to war.

Woden
May 6, 2006
What was the deal with the key paradox? It seemed like a set up where Q and crew would be bringing the second set to unchain the dude in prison but it went nowhere.

Agreeing with others not liking the ending though, Alice and the Deans quest to restore magic(again) isn't very appealing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Woden posted:

What was the deal with the key paradox? It seemed like a set up where Q and crew would be bringing the second set to unchain the dude in prison but it went nowhere.

Agreeing with others not liking the ending though, Alice and the Deans quest to restore magic(again) isn't very appealing.

I thought it was just a 4th wall type joke continuity errors. I was thinking the exact same thing (“wait the doors swallowed the keys…”) and then Elliott-as-us pointed it out which was met with hand waving explanations. Like the whole parsec thing in Star Wars.

This is a really lovely way the end the season for a year. I don’t mind minor cliffhangers and teasers to get me excited for the next season but that just felt like an abrupt end in the middle of an episode.

I could see why Julia’s powers had to go away. Them having a literal god that can teleport and read minds and heal things was just too strong. It was either Julia’s powers go or Julia herself and I’m glad it was the powers.

I don’t get why Calypso couldn’t have just told them “hey there’s a magical spirit monster that literally can’t be killed even by that bullet you have that I know about because I’m a god and I can read your minds, and killing the host will only spread it to someone else.”

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
wait... err... i... :3:

Elliot's fine, right? guys?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I seem to have missed something; what happened to the key they got off of Quentin-beast?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

While the amnesia plot isn't what I was hoping for or expecting, the monster plot is fantastic.

After the Library appeared out of nowhere I completely lost what the gently caress was going on for the last part mostly.

It feels like they tried to jam another episode into 5 minutes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Blazing Ownager posted:

After the Library appeared out of nowhere I completely lost what the gently caress was going on for the last part mostly.

It feels like they tried to jam another episode into 5 minutes.

There was a lot going on but here’s how I understood it:

- The group wanted the keys so that they could turn on magic via the fountain.

- The library wanted to completely control who gets access to magic and how much of it they get. The siphon presumably sucks up magic into a vault that they can dole out as they wish.

- Alice wanted to get rid of magic completely by destroying the way to turn it back on, the keys. She asked the dean for the potion so that she wouldn’t remember that magic existed.

- The dean was working with the library for reasons unknown and went and told them about Alice’s plans.

- Meanwhile the lady and dude hunting fairies were freelancers the library hired to do Alice’s original job to siphon the magic away. They probably would get more access to magic this way or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Well that was a big fucko of an ending.

How long are we going to have to wait for the payoff of fairies that can't be hunted but can totally hunt humans thing? I figured that would happen like, immediately.

And the loving bathtub that I'm still waiting to somehow be plot-relevant. I want to believe.