Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

And more importantly, they left them dead. Amongst many other reasons, Revenge of the Fallen sucked because they couldn't resist resurrecting Optimus Prime.

Uhm actually Optimus Prime returns in season 4 of the original run of Transformers. It was real bad y'all
:goonsay:

At this point I assumed killing off and reviving Optimus Prime was just a box you gotta check if you want to make a Transformers property.

While not exactly a show Lewis Black has aged extremely poorly. I loved him during the Bush years and went to play his most recent special for my roommate a year or so back cause she'd never seen any of his stand up. It was the most agonizing thing I've ever seen, just an hour and a half of an old man being mad about Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

Megatron was at his best when his alt form was a pistol that someone else had to fire

Particularly by the ever-loyal Starscream who he let plot against him in a normal indoor speaking voice.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Great Metal Jesus posted:

While not exactly a show Lewis Black has aged extremely poorly. I loved him during the Bush years and went to play his most recent special for my roommate a year or so back cause she'd never seen any of his stand up. It was the most agonizing thing I've ever seen, just an hour and a half of an old man being mad about Facebook.

He was always bad :ssh:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Huh, that figures. I was picturing more a series that doesn't descend into a standard action movie like the movies (and worse games) inevitably do but focuses on the contracts and targets, maybe even with 47 as more of a background character until he strikes.

It could have good "action" scenes where it's 47 almost in the background setting things up while the target goes about their day not knowing he's about to be dead. Like he's at work in a sleek and modern, goes down to the cafe and gets a coffee, then excuses himself to go take a crap in his fancy private bathroom and 47 sneaks in behind him (and waits for him to finish his dookie because he doesn't want a bunch of poo poo to distract) and knocks him out and then drags him to the balcony and throws him off and on the way out uploads a computer program that fudges the companies financials to make it look like he's been embezzling.

Then there can be other episodes where the target was actually the easiest part of his mission, getting away was the hard part because the person that took out the hit wants it to be an obvious assassination complete with a manhunt and a good frame-job where he leads the police to a fall guy.

It could be rad if they use some creativity but the other movies were crappy action films so who knows how it'll shake out if it ends up getting made.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Make a Hitman TV series but it stars Carlton Smith

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

At this point I assumed killing off and reviving Optimus Prime was just a box you gotta check if you want to make a Transformers property.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_many_deaths_of_Optimus_Prime

Absolutely. Killed and revived by the tears of children and/or space magic often in the same episode.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aw, they all look so young. And alive. :smith:

It's a cookbook!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

Particularly by the ever-loyal Starscream who he let plot against him in a normal indoor speaking voice.

Amazing that he lost really

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Starscream has an indoor voice?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Post the abe Lincoln seat gif

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Uhm actually Optimus Prime returns in season 4 of the original run of Transformers. It was real bad y'all
:goonsay:
Actually, it was the final episode of season 3. And it was AWESOME. The Touch played and everything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

He was always bad :ssh:
Black on Broadway is still funny. His first memoir is interesting too. But I do agree that his stand-up has gotten less and less funny.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sunswipe posted:

Actually, it was the final episode of season 3. And it was AWESOME. The Touch played and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAAbbuEpnw&t=15s

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I saw Lewis Black a few years ago (before Trump's rise) and his political segment was still funny and interesting. His "mad at technology" segment was too long and had a lot of duds. Still liked seeing him though.

Whoever was in charge of the stage he was on put up some random lovely ferns as backdrop and he spent the first minute or so making fun of them, it owned

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

mostlygray posted:

My parents made me sit through things like "Jean de Florette" and "My life as a dog" when I was a kid. I won't subject them to that.

If I ever have kids I’m totally going to make them watch artsy foreign films where a kid gets his dick stuck in a bottle.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BgRdMchne posted:

If I ever have kids I’m totally going to make them watch artsy foreign films where a kid gets his dick stuck in a bottle.

Just don't act all surprised when you're kid gets his dick stuck in a bottle.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Isn't that the one where there's a multi minute long cut of two rabbits loving?

Also, the weird guy sews a girl's hair ribbon into his skin.

Like the main character in the Dante's Inferno game, only skeevier.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

Whoever was in charge of the stage he was on put up some random lovely ferns as backdrop and he spent the first minute or so making fun of them, it owned

He once went for an interview on some cable news show and complained until they took all the poo poo off the screen. Classic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Stealing this from a different thread but this clip and joke did not age well.

Katt posted:

Edgy 20 something me loved this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Back when Rodney King was the major police abuse case in recent memory. Back when police officers, beating a black man who was undeniably guilty of a crime, turned into a major civil rights case with international headlines and before the internet too.

Hindsight Jesus. Today police officers murder innocent black people left and right on camera and nothing happens. They do it with the support of half the nation and lukewarm condemnation by the other half.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

FactsAreUseless posted:

Black on Broadway is still funny. His first memoir is interesting too. But I do agree that his stand-up has gotten less and less funny.

A lot of comedians with his style risk sliding into "loving kids these days" being their only gimmick as they get older. George Carlin did in his later stuff too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

A lot of comedians with his style risk sliding into "loving kids these days" being their only gimmick as they get older. George Carlin did in his later stuff too.

Some of Lewis Black's stuff still holds up. I'll always laugh at his rants about the cold weather that one year or bitching about bottled water.

I don't know why but "hasn't it been a special winter, everybody?" *pause* "If you're a loving moose. If you got fur on your nuts it's been a special winter."

Lewis Black is weird because he never actually set out to be a comedian it just kind of happened. "Irritable old Jewish guy from New York" is the entirety of his thing as far as comedy goes. I kind of assume he's getting less funny because he's been putting less effort into his work. Which makes sense; he's nearly 70 and never wanted to do comedy in the first place.

I think he described it as "being the only person on the Titanic that knows what's going to happen" and there really are limits to what you can do with that. Plus it also doesn't work as well because he has a tablet whenever he does The Rant is Due so he's obviously with the times. He's still funny just not as hilarious as he was when he first got big.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Just don't act all surprised when you're kid gets his dick stuck in a bottle.

He might have a daughter.

Which creates a whole different but still similar situation.

Wait. What thread is this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Instead of complaining about new technology, why not complain about old technology?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

Instead of complaining about new technology, why not complain about old technology?

loving spinning wheels - can you believe that poo poo!?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

The Bloop posted:

loving spinning wheels - can you believe that poo poo!?

Inclined planes -- how do they work?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Inclined planes -- how do they work?

loving PULLEYS

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some of Lewis Black's stuff still holds up. I'll always laugh at his rants about the cold weather that one year or bitching about bottled water.

I don't know why but "hasn't it been a special winter, everybody?" *pause* "If you're a loving moose. If you got fur on your nuts it's been a special winter."

Lewis Black is weird because he never actually set out to be a comedian it just kind of happened. "Irritable old Jewish guy from New York" is the entirety of his thing as far as comedy goes. I kind of assume he's getting less funny because he's been putting less effort into his work. Which makes sense; he's nearly 70 and never wanted to do comedy in the first place.

I think he described it as "being the only person on the Titanic that knows what's going to happen" and there really are limits to what you can do with that. Plus it also doesn't work as well because he has a tablet whenever he does The Rant is Due so he's obviously with the times. He's still funny just not as hilarious as he was when he first got big.

I still like his "Unbeknownst to me, there was a better me!" story about auditioning for a role specifically written for him and not getting the part

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

Post the abe Lincoln seat gif

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Does TF wiki have a count of how many times Megatron tripped on a rock and Starscream immediately crowed about how MEGATRON HAS FALLEN and that he was the NEW LEADER OF THE DECEPTICONS!!! ?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From reading random things about it, G1 transformers seems to be the longest running and had quite a few good episodes (the ep where Beachcomber discovers a beautiful valley that gets completely wrecked in the battle over it came to mind) but I'm guessing a lot of the ideas are better on paper.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Why do transformers always turn into cars people know about? Why is it never weird alien vehicles?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why do transformers always turn into cars people know about? Why is it never weird alien vehicles?

But it is, frequently. A lot of series don't even bother with a reasonable explanation for their vehicle modes besides a way to get around faster.

Hell, Megatron in the movies originally makes a point out of not taking an Earth form and sticking to his alien spaceship mode.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The transformers that landed on Earth got reprogrammed to transform into earth cars and planes to help them blend in. There are other transformers who didn't come to earth originally who transform into alien tanks and flying space guns and poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a Transformer who specifically turns into a flying saucer, and can travel through space on his own. (and crashes as regularly as Spaceman Spiff)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Inescapable Duck posted:

From reading random things about it, G1 transformers seems to be the longest running

It isn't, actually. Transformers: Rescue Bots has the most episodes, and is the only Transformers series to have four full seasons.

I'd probably have to go back and do some rewatches to be firm on it, but it's /probably/ my second favorite of the Post-Bay Transformers Series, primarily because of how weird it's willing to get, sometimes.

It's also in the same setting as Transformers: Prime and Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2015), though the crossovers are character cameos, rather than intertwined plots.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I always thought it was because they were trying to blend in. But I know gently caress all about Transformers really so whatever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Beast Wars shows how when they arrived on Earth they sort of automatically scan the area for appropriate vehicle modes, but as they were on prehistoric Earth and there were no vehicles, they got animal forms instead.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I still like his "Unbeknownst to me, there was a better me!" story about auditioning for a role specifically written for him and not getting the part

Jay Mohr has a pretty funny story about getting a part over Buddy Ebsen because his impression of Buddy Ebsen was better than actual Buddy Ebsen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The tagline for Transformers is "robots in disguise".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Bloop posted:

Beast Wars shows how when they arrived on Earth they sort of automatically scan the area for appropriate vehicle modes, but as they were on prehistoric Earth and there were no vehicles, they got animal forms instead.

Didnt the dinobots already show that?