Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I might restart my newest game without VR and see what I missed. Little touches like that make the character feel so much more.. alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Drake_263 posted:

"Hey so I went to this lifepod and found a seamoth piece, I guess I can turn that beacon off now"
"I'm going to run right past this desk with the PDA on it in plain loving sight 6 times without picking it up"
"I guess I'm not going to find another exit to this purple cave, this sucks guys" *humps the walls and never ever looks up*

I'm instinctively cutting that 3rd one slack from old memories of indeed looking up, but most of the ceiling of the tunnel network being unrendered blackness until I was in arms reach of the entry as I drove my Seamoth around staring upwards.

At least PDAs don't get placed so clicking where they are in a locker from 17 angles still won't pick it up anymore, though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 4, 2018

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Drake_263 posted:

I was watching somebody play Subnautica on the youtube and I need to test something.. is it me or does the VR version of the game lack some of the polish you normally have? Like, when I started the game my lifepod wasn't actually on fire, I didn't get the little animation where my character gets hit on the head by that piece of debris, and I'm missing a lot of the neat little flourish animations like when you climb out of the pod the first time and shoo a local seagull equivalent off the pod. Actually animating you opening and closing doors, stuff like that - my run through in VR never had those.

Sidenote, watching a complete newbie learn through the game is equal parts adorable and aggravating.

"Hey so I went to this lifepod and found a seamoth piece, I guess I can turn that beacon off now"
"I'm going to run right past this desk with the PDA on it in plain loving sight 6 times without picking it up"
"I guess I'm not going to find another exit to this purple cave, this sucks guys" *humps the walls and never ever looks up*

Streamer in question seems like a wonderful guy but come the gently caress on, take a breath every once in a while and actually look around.

This isnt the guy that does the amazing frog videos is it (or another guy that does the... Beautiful OB, thats him)? My son watches a fair bit of them and its the same thing. They are so busy talking about what they are doing or going to do that they miss things straight up in front of them.

My fav is the thinknoodles guy.... i think. Who has massive well laid out glass base that dwarves anything i came close to building, and then he opens up his crafting screen and doesnt have the cutting tool or some other random item that he probably should have found.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Hmmm :ohdear:

HMMMM :magical:

hmmm :shepface:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't understand, those Reapers are still alive and not upside down corpses with a robot suit drill hole in their face???

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think I killed a single animal for a reason other than food

I should have exterminated those loving warpers though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You can't kill warpers. They just warp away if you hit them or touch them.

I've wiped out all of the hostile leviathans I've come across. Though there's supposed to be two Dragons in the inactive lava zone, I've only found one there. I tried to let a Ghost live and watch it from afar, but their aggro radius is absolutely absurd and so it followed me and kept attacking me, so I had to deal with it. If there was a way to push them off without killing them that'd be one thing but even repulsion cannon shots only stun or dissuade them for about 5 seconds before they swing back around to come in for another go.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Turn off your floodlights and turn on the noise reduction and they'll ignore you in the Cyclops

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I'm almost exclusively traveling in the prawn lately, the cyclops is basically just a waystation nowadays. And reapers/ghosts will never not attack the prawn I don't think, even standing still they came after me from a distance.

edit: gently caress's sake. I never even found the Disease Research Facility apparently, didn't even know it existed until I saw it on the wiki.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 5, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh I'm almost exclusively traveling in the prawn lately, the cyclops is basically just a waystation nowadays. And reapers/ghosts will never not attack the prawn I don't think, even standing still they came after me from a distance.

edit: gently caress's sake. I never even found the Disease Research Facility apparently, didn't even know it existed until I saw it on the wiki.

Want some fun facts about the Disease Research Facility? A: Zero help or requirement to beat the game except another 'Go Deeper, I guess' text B: Triggers the advanced stage of infection, setting warper aggro to Max.

So don't feel too bad :v: It's the Lava castle being driven past dozens of times because they removed it's beacon that's the bigger concern.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Is there a trick to grapple grinding reapers to death? I gave it a shot and it was flailing around so much, and swinging me so wide, that I wasn't able to make much contact with it, and then after a while it grabbed me and flung me super far away despite being grappled to it.

Grapple arm overall has a really anemic pull to it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You have to use your jumpjets, the physics engine really goes wild when you're grappling to a reaper or ghost and use them, and propels you forward extremely fast despite the leviathan likely also moving very fast. It can be tricky dancing around a ghost or reaper's face so you don't get grabbed or bitten, but it's totally doable, just hold down the drill and you'll wear them down.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Section Z posted:

Want some fun facts about the Disease Research Facility? A: Zero help or requirement to beat the game except another 'Go Deeper, I guess' text B: Triggers the advanced stage of infection, setting warper aggro to Max.

So don't feel too bad :v: It's the Lava castle being driven past dozens of times because they removed it's beacon that's the bigger concern.

My understanding of that is that it only triggers after you self scan yourself.

I went in, never self scanned and had no additional trouble from warpers. Then once i had the cure i self scanned.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I never really noticed any additional aggro from warpers during the back half of the game. Weird!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's because they're always just casually aggroed to you at all times so you either get in a spat with them momentarily until they jump away or nothing happens as they fart around off in the distance and bug out on terrain

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I tried to rodeo a sea dragon with the prawn. He slung me into a rock outcrop with enough force to kill my prawn. R.I.P. Fishpuncher. Your memory will live on with my seamoth, Fishpunch Jr.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Untrustable posted:

I tried to rodeo a sea dragon with the prawn. He slung me into a rock outcrop with enough force to kill my prawn. R.I.P. Fishpuncher. Your memory will live on with my seamoth, Fishpunch Jr.

That can happen? :stonk: :psyduck: :eyepop:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Finally got around to buying/playing this and I'm glad I waited for it to be "finished". great game, definitely worth the 25 bucks. I went into it totally blind and just blundered my way through everything, 5 seamoths, 3 prawn suits, and 2 cyclops later and I got the hell off that mudball. I tried to wave off the sunbeam, but that didn't go so well. I laughed my rear end off at that.

Couple of things I noticed:

Surprisingly light on jank. The only weirdness I saw was sometimes peepers would like to swim up into my base via the moon pool, and then just kinda.. swim around in the air. Oh, and my prawn suit fell through the world geometry at one point. That was a depressing situation. Got down to about 3km deep before it imploded.

Prawn suit is Alterra's gift to mankind as far as I'm concerned. That thing should just play Mastadon's Blood and Thunder whenever you get in it. One thing I noticed about it is that it accelerates diagonally better than it does forwards. So if you alternate A and D while holding W you'll get up to speed much quicker. You can also scoot around super fast using the jump jets and the grapple arm, it feels a lot like Just Cause in that regard. Figuring out I could grapple onto leviathans and go all captain Ahab on them was just the icing on the cake.

Doing a hardcore run now. Decided to set up shop in the Lost River, by the big blue tree. No Prawn suit yet, no Cyclops. Just a Seamoth with the level 3 depth upgrade and cargo lockers. We'll see how it goes. I think it should work out fine, there's every kind of resource I need in abundance, no carnivores patrol near the big blue tree and there's tons of 80+ degree thermal vents that I can abuse.

Did anyone else name their seamoth Scooty Puff Jr?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

don't play hardcore

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

No because I remembered that Scooty Puff Jr. suuuuuuuucks

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Black and yellow color scheme for visibility, themed name Bumblebee Tuna.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The game SEEMS light on jank, but it's fairly consistent once you've put time into the game. Reefbacks catching on terrain and freaking the gently caress out before scooting off in a random direction, other leviathans catching on terrain or just generally flipping out and physicsing around, cuddlefish getting permanently stuck inside your base(which is fine) like the aforementioned inside peepers because you can't recapture them, seamoth getting clipped through walls by fauna and being inaccessible, SEA DRAGON MASHING YOU INTO A WALL YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF WITH HIS loving FACE FFFFFFFFFFFF, prawn limbs getting stuck in awkward often vision-blocking positions due to various circumstances like being attacked, vehicles physicsing the gently caress out in new and interesting ways such as my aforementioned experience with sidestepping into the edge of the cyclops's bulkhead door and being ejected 500 meters through the air at rapid speed while my cyclops got throwing straight up into the air about 100 meters before landing in the water at a 45 degree angle and almost not being accessible due to the entrance hatch being suspended out of the water. Some general issues with spawning things(once in my favor as a stalker spawned 8 Metal Debris as it bugged out)

most of these were more-than-once occurrences, some repeatable. A few game-breaking. Still pretty good for 60ish hours worth of time, but definitely still a janky game.

edit: my seamoth was colored solid ruby red and named the SEAMOTH X3

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

Black and yellow color scheme for visibility, themed name Bumblebee Tuna.

lol that's what I named my yellow-with-black-trim Cyclops

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

boar guy posted:

don't play hardcore

You're not my real dad I do what I want :colbert:

.. seriously though, is there a reason why you shouldn't?

Edit: Other fun question I had for everyone: What did you put in your time capsules? I put my still suit and an ion cell/battery. Also something about getting used to the taste of the reclaimed water :haw:

Oh, and did you take anything with you in the rocket? I brought as many diamonds and ion cubes as I could, along with all the cuddlefish eggs I could find. Never hatched any, they look weird.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 5, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

if you've read the thread, you've seen all the complaints (mine included) of losing hardcore games after investing dozens of hours because you get glitched into the geometry or something

there's literally no reward for it, either

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Yes, this. Hardcore is a fun idea if the game is fair and nonbuggy, but when a random physics glitch can invalidate days' worth of progress through no fault of your own.. yeah.

This (more specifically, cyberdiscs spawning under level geometry and shooting up at my dudes, who are unable to shoot back) is also why I don't play hardcore X-COM.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The best way is to simply play normal mode by use the honor system and delete your save once you die. But only if it was a fair death, of course.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
Personally I played and finished the game on hardcore my first time and had a blast with it. There were definitely moments that were way more intense because of it, and all (2) of my deaths were because of my own stupidity. Other than clipping out of bounds once on the aurora (alt-f4'd to go back to the last save) I didn't have any major bugs or issues.

That said, if you do play on HC, you do have to be okay with potentially losing a save with a lot of play time to something beyond your control. It didn't bother me much with this game, because I feel like most of your "progression" in this game is more learning than grinding or gathering. Nothing takes all that long to get once you know roughly where to look and what you need to get it, so starting over isn't all that punitive in my opinion.

Though to be honest, I'm not sure how much a hardcore replay would add. Once you've gotten through the game, you aren't really going to be in all that much danger on a replay, and the added tension of being stuck in a situation I may not have the tools to escape was a large part of the thrill for me.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Perpetual posted:

Personally I played and finished the game on hardcore my first time and had a blast with it. There were definitely moments that were way more intense because of it, and all (2) of my deaths were because of my own stupidity. Other than clipping out of bounds once on the aurora (alt-f4'd to go back to the last save) I didn't have any major bugs or issues.

That said, if you do play on HC, you do have to be okay with potentially losing a save with a lot of play time to something beyond your control. It didn't bother me much with this game, because I feel like most of your "progression" in this game is more learning than grinding or gathering. Nothing takes all that long to get once you know roughly where to look and what you need to get it, so starting over isn't all that punitive in my opinion.

Though to be honest, I'm not sure how much a hardcore replay would add. Once you've gotten through the game, you aren't really going to be in all that much danger on a replay, and the added tension of being stuck in a situation I may not have the tools to escape was a large part of the thrill for me.

Hardcore mode is honestly a remnant of the 'original' Subnautica design when the map was supposed to be procedurally generated. With a fixed map like now, after you've cleared the game a couple of times you pretty much know where everything important is and pretty much the only times you're going to die is if you brainfart and do something terminally stupid.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah I'm not scared of losing my save or anything. I already beat the game (and did NOT read the thread, as I was avoiding spoilers/hints) and so hardcore mode is giving me a sense of real urgency and danger. No more "eh gently caress it I'm too lazy to swim/drive back to base I got my blueprints I'll just drown and warp back" shenanigans.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah hardcore is dumb, just do an honor system instead because the game is not reliable enough for something as unforgiving as hardcore mode.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Edit: Other fun question I had for everyone: What did you put in your time capsules? I put my still suit and an ion cell/battery. Also something about getting used to the taste of the reclaimed water :haw:

Oh, and did you take anything with you in the rocket? I brought as many diamonds and ion cubes as I could, along with all the cuddlefish eggs I could find. Never hatched any, they look weird.

Maybe you will be the second lucky contestant to make it all the way to the end of Hardcore, only to clip through the floor of their rocket and die as it launches.

Beating Hardcore Subnautica is more luck than skill for a variety of "As old as Q1 2016" reasons.

But you do you. Some people do get lucky and have a relatively smooth experience.

Normally though? Paging Internet Kraken to give a story of wide eyed optimism descending into dawning horror.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 5, 2018

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I've definitely killed a warped before after stasis gunning it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I bought this stupid game after watching a partial lets play of it and I put in 20 hours in about 3 days.

Things I learned from reading the thread that I never learned ingame:
The alien containment can be used to breed fish.
Give stalkers metal scrap and they drop teeth.
There is a stillsuit.
Ramming things with your cyclops is the best way to kill sharks/gastropods.
Your first room doesn't need to be a multipurpose room.

Some things I have figured out from gameplay:
The scanner room only shows stuff you've found/picked up in areas/chunks you have visited since you last loaded your game. Drop diamonds/teeth/stuff into the ocean then pick them up to add them to the things-it-can-search-for list.
The only food you need for 90% of the game is watermarbles.
The stasis rifle is your best friend, use with knife to kill everything less than levithans, use with the prawn to kill levithans.
Your best bet for getting ion powercells when you aren't in lategame is to search time capsules for them.
Reaper and Ghost leviathans take a while to kill with the prawn and don't seem to take damage from knife attacks.
Save often and before you do something stupid.
Do not jump off cliffs with the prawn and not brake before hitting the bottom, your prawn will go though the floor and you with it.
Jumpjets, armor upgrade, and the engine efficiency for the prawn are necessary.

Things I learned from resorting to read online:
Deep Shrooms.
Knowing where the lava zone is.
The two islands.
How drat useful the walking levithans are for getting resources and diamonds (so much diamonds).
Put beacons on points of interest and use them as waypoints.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SugarAddict posted:

Things I learned from reading the thread that I never learned ingame:
Give stalkers metal scrap and they drop teeth.

You can learn this in game if you read all of the PDAs you find.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
watermarbles?

reapers/ghosts can be killed by the knife and stasis rifle but it takes literal minutes of constant stabbing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Captain Invictus posted:

watermarbles?

reapers/ghosts can be killed by the knife and stasis rifle but it takes literal minutes of constant stabbing

Marblemelons. Plant 8, slash 2, harvest 6, plant 8, eat the 6. You will never want for food or water.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

You can learn this in game if you read all of the PDAs you find.

PDA also 'teaches' you that you can get stalker teeth by killing them with a knife, unless they finally removed that from the game like they removed the Stasis rifle's data file outright saying "get a conventional weapon to defend yourself over this".

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wow I finished the game and had no clue the still suit existed. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I used Bulbo trees and had similarly infinite food