Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ryde posted:

They’re still called “frames” and typically used fixed steps which means the frame rate is a meaningful thing to talk about with regards to the server. It does not imply that they have some weird LAN setup.

Allow me to introduce you to a company called "CIG".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

Describing any reference in Ready Player One as "substantial" would be a gross overstatement.

Note that this is from a book published in 2011.

Call of Duty AND Modern Warfare? This guy aint loving around!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sandweed posted:

Isn't his books just about being a pedantic know it all fanboy?

Pretty much. Remember that nostalgic thing, yeah that one, wow!

Nostalgia is so cool, let me just list off pop culture references and hope you, the spectator, get it.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Lawsuit Update
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u_j_BhX5NWUcwNdj8Ud-Oy3NYN0-srkg/view
:pgi: vs. Harmony Gold

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Roberts is a perfectionist. The problem is that he's also a narcissist with terrible taste that hasn't had an original thought in decades. He's the greatest turd polisher in the history of game development.

He really isn't a perfectionist. SC is proof enough of that, and his whole back catalogue.

He's some form of control freak, attempting to control things he really has not got a handle on, and so he fucks around the edges with his endless "visions" and art loving, because he really does not know what else to do. On some level he knows that.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Experimental Skin posted:

He really isn't a perfectionist. SC is proof enough of that, and his whole back catalogue.

He's some form of control freak, attempting to control things he really has not got a handle on, and so he fucks around the edges with his endless "visions" and art loving, because he really does not know what else to do. On some level he knows that.

This is accurate. For someone to be a perfectionist there has to be some kind of objective idea of what constitutes perfect. A guy painting a house might be trying to cut the edges too closely and taking hours and hours on parts of the house barely even visible unless someone walks up with measuring instruments. That guy is the kind of person you'd tell "dude it doesn't have to be perfect."

Chris is the opposite. He has a very vague idea of how he wants things to look, even less of an idea of how he wants it to play, and those ideas are cribbed from half-formed memories of things he's seen other people already do. He can't give effective direction because he doesn't know what he's looking for, and therefore can't communicate it. He just "knows it when he sees it" so he has his artists do it over and over and over again, until it finally feels "right" to him.

This is then referred to as "perfectionism" by the morons who defend him.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Citizen: The reason SC is delayed is that Chris is a perfectionist and don't want to release a flawed product! That's why 3.0 was delayed a whole year.

*Roberts walks inn drops his pants and squeezes out a huge turd* Here it is, 3.0 is here!

*Citizen smears himself with the poo poo* Now this is perfection.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Experimental Skin posted:

I guess I see that as being a perfectionist. A control freak who has no regard for cost or consequence. Perhaps a perfectionist requires a coherent and stable vision, but at least in my own art (painting tiny Space Barbies) it's hard to know when it's done until it is.

Maybe the difference is because a lot of people consider the label of "perfectionist" to have some positive connotation, while I consider it something you fight against. Chris embraces it and uses it to justify all manners of lovely behavior and poor practices.

Ultimately we probably agree on 99% of this, just not the term itself.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKbH9i5axxU

This video is all sorts of amazing.

Also, Star Citizen mocap is brilliant.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
What the world really needs to see is the custom ship they built exclusively for Robberts, and how much time and resources went into it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sandweed posted:

Citizen: The reason SC is delayed is that Chris is a perfectionist and don't want to release a flawed product! That's why 3.0 was delayed a whole year.

*Roberts walks inn drops his pants and squeezes out a huge turd* Here it is, 3.0 is here!

*Citizen smears himself with the poo poo* Now this is perfection.

Chris drops the turd to amazing fanfare, runs behind a curtain, then spends two weeks six months polishing it in secret before revealing the smeared mess on the floor and calling it pre-alpha.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Scruffpuff posted:

For someone to be a perfectionist there has to be some kind of objective idea of what constitutes perfect.
That's an insane definition because any qualitative evaluation of anything is by nature purely subjective.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Ghostlight posted:

That's an insane definition because any qualitative evaluation of anything is by nature purely subjective.

For example, Star Citizen is *already* perfect and well worth the hundreds of dollars spent to many crazy people.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

That's especially true in any artistic endeavor, such as, I don't know, game development, which makes the assertion even more absurd, even if it wasn't Chris the word was being applied to.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Peter.Quint posted:

Or maybe just not given quite so much poo poo. I think a lot of the stuff on here written about the warlord is disproportionately rude, cruel at times as well. I don't see anyone else using their real names and putting themselves and their careers up for public judgement.

The guy brags about filtering out the SA community, and those who he hasn't blocked he laughs as he says, "lol didn't read". Anyone else would have been banned already for no effort 'jokes'.

Who gives a gently caress about your real name when this stage is for trying to promote comedy.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Perfectionism isn't really about striving for perfection. It's being self-critical about everything that you do because it never meets your standard. It's a behaviour that causes a lot of depression and anxiety. I don't think it's really fair to ascribe psychological labels to public figures because we don't actually see how they behave 99% of the time.

He doesn't come across as a perfectionist on camera, but he might be good at putting on a cool demeanour when it's needed. From the bits we've seen and historical anecdotes, he seems like a control freak whose priorities change on a whim. But that might be because he comes off on camera as intense, nitpicky and addled. He could as easily be a psychologically normal person who is simply a terrible manager.

I don't know where exactly the 'Chris is a perfectionist' thing came from, but fans like to push it because his perfectionism is 'on record'. It isn't a subjective judgement that you can argue about. It explains the negative aspects of the project without detriment. Sure it's delayed forever and requires lots of extra work, but it's going to be the best thing ever because the bar is set so high. There really is no need to psychologically profile Chris because the results speak for themselves.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tokamak posted:

I don't know where exactly the 'Chris is a perfectionist' thing came from

I do. It's a pathological need to defend the indefensible. Chris is the core reason (though hardly the only one) that the project failed, and the core reason his earlier projects failed. Painting it as him being "a perfectionist" makes it sound like he's too good for this cruel world, rather than the more accurate picture that he's an inept thumb. It also diverts attention away from his ineptitude and makes it about word definitions instead, like it did ITT.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

I do. It's a pathological need to defend the indefensible. Chris is the core reason (though hardly the only one) that the project failed, and the core reason his earlier projects failed. Painting it as him being "a perfectionist" makes it sound like he's too good for this cruel world, rather than the more accurate picture that he's an inept thumb. It also diverts attention away from his ineptitude and makes it about word definitions instead, like it did ITT.

I'm agree. It becomes subjective and diversionary when you focus on the term. At least in this thread we all agree he's incompetent and that this is all his fault, so the discussion is about how to label that incompetence. Elsewhere the notion of being a perfectionist would be used as a justification for the delays. Here it's, at best, another condemnation.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Wise and astute answer, one I agree with.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Chris is such a coding guru that he couldn't fix a CTD on Exit so he just modified the message it displayed.

That should be all you need to know to know Chris is a loving hack.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm agree. It becomes subjective and diversionary when you focus on the term. At least in this thread we all agree he's incompetent and that this is all his fault, so the discussion is about how to label that incompetence. Elsewhere the notion of being a perfectionist would be used as a justification for the delays. Here it's, at best, another condemnation.

Exactly.

I don't mind getting into the occasional spergy discussion about word definitions here on SA, because we all know it's just a side-discussion, and doesn't detract from what we all already know.

That's a big difference between the quality of the posters on this dead gay comedy forum and other places I've been. In those other places, the side discussion actually becomes the main discussion, and "winning" on the word definition is incorrectly regarded as winning the argument.

This is the same mentality backers use to believe that Crytek will lose in court because some Perry Mason poo poo is going to go on in the courtroom, and CIG will bury them under technicalities. "No, your honor, that was Robert Space Industries, ergo case dismissed." "No, your honor, they were pledges, quid pro quo." "No, your honor, the PU was technically released, so we have delivered, e pluribus unum."

I guess it makes sense, when you think about it, that the most deluded members of Chris's cult believe Hollywood movies accurately reflect the real world, just like Chris does.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 5, 2018

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I would like to remind everyone that despite his crazy go nuts stuff, Derek has performed an important public service by raising awareness of CIG's shenanigans, which has prevented at least some people from being fooled and buying in.

Without Derek's antics to draw my attention to the problems, I have a feeling that I'd have spent sixty or seventy American dollars to buy the game. More important than saving me a little money, Derek has done my pride a favor; silly as it might be, I take some genuine comfort in being a never-backed rather than a saw-the-light.

So I appreciate Derek, even if he says and does bonkers things on the internet. It's not like he's the only one. :911:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

That's especially true in any artistic endeavor, such as, I don't know, game development, which makes the assertion even more absurd, even if it wasn't Chris the word was being applied to.

Unless I'm mistaken, then, you're suggesting that it's impossible for an artist to be a perfectionist which doesn't seem quite right to me

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

Exactly.

I don't mind getting into the occasional spergy discussion about word definitions here on SA, because we all know it's just a side-discussion, and doesn't detract from what we all already know.

That's a big difference between the quality of the posters on this dead gay comedy forum and other places I've been. In those other places, the side discussion actually becomes the main discussion, and "winning" on the word definition is incorrectly regarded as winning the argument.

This is the same mentality backers use to believe that Crytek will lose in court because some Perry Mason poo poo is going to go on in the courtroom, and CIG will bury them under technicalities. "No, you're honor, that was Robert Space Industries, ergo case dismissed." "No, your honor, they were pledges, quid pro quo." "No, your honor, the PU was technically released, so we have delivered, e pluribus unum."

I guess it makes sense, when you think about it, that the most deluded members of Chris's cult believe Hollywood movies accurately reflect the real world, just like Chris does.

It's true. Our echo chamber is vastly superior to theirs.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, then, you're suggesting that it's impossible for an artist to be a perfectionist which doesn't seem quite right to me

That's my response to Ghostlight's quote:

Ghostlight posted:

Where I'm basically agreeing that the idea of something being perfect is impossible with regard to something like an artistic endeavor. No two people will agree on what constitutes perfect art.

The artist himself, who owns the idea and who is expressing it, can certainly have an idea of what is perfect.

Chris is not an artist. Chris does not have an idea. Chris cannot express anything except how he saw something "pretty cool" in a movie once.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Chris is such a coding guru that he couldn't fix a CTD on Exit so he just modified the message it displayed.

That should be all you need to know to know Chris is a loving hack.

Hey, buddy, a shortcut is quicker

Don't you know anything?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

That's my response to Ghostlight's quote:

Where I'm basically agreeing that the idea of something being perfect is impossible with regard to something like an artistic endeavor. No two people will agree on what constitutes perfect art.

The artist himself, who owns the idea and who is expressing it, can certainly have an idea of what is perfect.

Chris is not an artist. Chris does not have an idea. Chris cannot express anything except how he saw something "pretty cool" in a movie once.

Right. Chris is not an artist, and I'm sure he sees himself as no mere artist. He's a black turtleneck-wearing auteur.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Danknificent posted:

I would like to remind everyone that despite his crazy go nuts stuff, Derek has performed an important public service by raising awareness of CIG's shenanigans, which has prevented at least some people from being fooled and buying in.

Without Derek's antics to draw my attention to the problems, I have a feeling that I'd have spent sixty or seventy American dollars to buy the game. More important than saving me a little money, Derek has done my pride a favor; silly as it might be, I take some genuine comfort in being a never-backed rather than a saw-the-light.

So I appreciate Derek, even if he says and does bonkers things on the internet. It's not like he's the only one. :911:

Indeed.

I choose to bite the hand that feeds poor posting habits however. If that hand feeds refunding habits, I have no qualm with it.

Derek, like many, has two hands.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

Right. Chris is not an artist, and I'm sure he sees himself as no mere artist. He's a black turtleneck-wearing auteur.

Well he did make Wing Commander. Or at least was peripherally involved. At some level. That places him above mere mortal judgement.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Scruffpuff posted:

Well he did make Wing Commander. Or at least was peripherally involved. At some level. That places him above mere mortal judgement.

By edict, he's the main creative driver of WC. Make no mistakes, he can make a very simple game with a very simple plot.

His vision and talent in the 90s/2000s seemed to be "I can take these video games' weaknesses and strengthen them by making them plot-driven, immersive stories like movies."

That's not enough today.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 5, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Which reminds me: Have you guys called your parents lately? That's cool.

I texted my dad a few times yesterday and called my granddad last week. Does that count?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory posted:

Let's be honest at this point a large portion of this group will never see the light of day.

:iceburn:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jason Sextro posted:

There is a difference between striving for perfection and reaching it. As an artist, if you hit perfection then you are done. (And more likely other people are going to think it's poo poo)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

By edict, he's the main creative driver of WC. Make no mistakes, he can make a very simple game with a very simple plot.

His vision and talent in the 90s/2000s seemed to be "I can take these video games' weaknesses and strengthen them by making them plot-driven, immersive stories like movies."

That's not enough today.

Very simple would be an apt description. Chris is basically at the complexity, and maturity, level of an 80's Choose Your Own Adventure book, but with fewer pages and only one branching choice.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Everything is Racist.

I did not expect *that* from the Lego Movie sequel.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hav posted:

Wow racist.

Mike Cernovitch is indeed racist proud of his heritage, the valor of the Confederacy, and looking forward to the expansion of online sovereign ethnostates.

Speaking of sovereign online states, can I leave Port Olisar's spawn pod with a thousand-dollar computer at better than 11 FPS now?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

That's because you're mistaking subjective judgement for intrinsic value, and that's usually a fairly dangerous road to go down, mainly because art follows fashions and to a certain extent what money needs laundering at any particular time.

One of the thing impressed on me at art college was that eventually you're going to get into the tweaking stage where you, as the parent, want to keep loving with it, so the first things they make you do is get into the habit of knocking out sketches in 90 seconds or less. Same for Photography; you can compose a shot all you like, but the magic happens in the gaps that you cannot control.

This is slightly different from what we have from the Renaissance because that was mostly driven by patronage, but trust me, *mountains* of old masters got painted over by students to recycle canvases.

Now, 'perfectionist' tends to get throw out there to justify people who get into the details. I've never met anyone for whom the word 'perfectionist' wasn't a cover for 'pedantic rear end in a top hat'. Jobs was a pedantic rear end in a top hat, for example.

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris has been recycling WWII movies that we both grew up watching on Sunday afternoons. Seriously, the 1940-65 war movie output is a rich source of storytelling only eclipsed by some of the contemporaneous books of the era. The carrier operations were directly out of Pacific fleet.

Jason Sextro posted:

He's a black turtleneck-wearing auteur.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kharan posted:

Hello!

Delurking for a moment. Been enjoying the thread for 2+ years with a sort of love/hate relationship. May it never stop.

I enjoyed WC1 and WC2 when they came out, tolerated WC3 and WC4 and nostalgied on WC Saga. But there were so much better space games, X-wing, TIE Fighter and I-Wars (still the best intro to any game in I). Also, I-War flight model and crew stations were way above anything else so why are you reading this instead of playing them?

Hello, new friend.

Kharan posted:

As a trivia, I played BC:M for a while, didn't fully get it but understood why some people did. I posted about some z-fighting graphic bugs to Derek in some god forsaken message board.

He blamed my drivers.

He probably thought you were a German auditor.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Potato Salad posted:

Mike Cernovitch is indeed racist proud of his heritage, the valor of the Confederacy, and looking forward to the expansion of online sovereign ethnostates.

Speaking of sovereign online states, can I leave Port Olisar's spawn pod with a thousand-dollar computer at better than 11 FPS now?

i hope the chuds in sc recreate Von Ormy in sc.

https://www.texasobserver.org/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-freest-little-city-in-texas/

this is the funniest story ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
He's not a perfectionist in the sense that he sets impossibly high standards for himself, because there is no indication that he has any self-awareness so there's no internal criticism paralyzing him. All of his criticism is directed externally, because it's everyone else that fails to implement his flawless vision.