Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GigaPeon posted:

Why are people saying Real Lenny is trapped in the Shadow King Eyeball Land? I thought SK just used Lenny's appearance to gain David's trust. She's just a girl who's dead in a wall.

And if "being in an eyeball" is code for being trapped, does that mean Oliver is fully trapping SK?

I reckon you're got this slightly wonky. Lenny and Oliver are inside the Shadow King because their consciousnesses have been subsumed by his one. (We can tell they're trapped because they have a conversation about it.) The Shadow King is inside Oliver's eye because he's controlling Oliver's body like a puppet. The imagery doesn't mean the same thing each time it's used.

So presumably whatever Farouk did to Lenny involved incorporating her fully into his consciousness. Her body died but her mind lived on.

(Their souls -- or consciousnesses or minds or whatever -- persisting gives the show a way to keep both actors on after killing off the Shadow King. That's what I figure anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Legion ASMR....getcha Legion ASMR, heeyuh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXaBom7KKmU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I was prepared to write a really angry review of the first episode of season 2 here because it was 100% recap but then I realized I watched the second episode of season 1. I'm a retard basically.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I was prepared to write a really angry review of the first episode of season 2 here because it was 100% recap but then I realized I watched the second episode of season 1. I'm a retard basically.

That's not even close to the most retarded thing in just the last two pages. So you're at least par for the course.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
"His blood pressure is 90 over 120."
"Just like the others."

This is physiologically impossible. That also doesn't really mean it's wrong in this show, though I'd be interested in seeing how you'd come up with a number like that using a blood pressure cuff.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Extremely minor :spergin: science quibble: radiocarbon has a half-life of almost 6,000 years so it'd be useless for determining if David's body had aged one year.

Also, the amount of radiocarbon in an organic material only starts to decline after it's stopped taking carbon in from the environment so David would have to be dead to be radiocarbon dated.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Also don't the infected people still need to eat, drink, poop and sweat? But the Divisions just have them milling about in a dark room in the clothes they found them in?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
OMG you guys are right. This is the worst documentary ever.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

I think we are still inside david's head.
Shadow king thought he had escaped only to discover that he only peeled 1 layer of david's psyche.
Now he is trying to convince david inside david to help him escape his mind. Now question is which character is actually david in real world?
is it oliver or is it david? I mean syd and melanie are almost identical, same with david and oliver. Is syd and david just twisted memories of oliver?

Also i love this show, i really dont know what is real and what is just a hallucination.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Flyinglemur posted:

OMG you guys are right. This is the worst documentary ever.

It really is, I find myself way more confused about telepathy and dance-offs after watching it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

I reckon you're got this slightly wonky. Lenny and Oliver are inside the Shadow King because their consciousnesses have been subsumed by his one. (We can tell they're trapped because they have a conversation about it.) The Shadow King is inside Oliver's eye because he's controlling Oliver's body like a puppet. The imagery doesn't mean the same thing each time it's used.

So presumably whatever Farouk did to Lenny involved incorporating her fully into his consciousness. Her body died but her mind lived on.

(Their souls -- or consciousnesses or minds or whatever -- persisting gives the show a way to keep both actors on after killing off the Shadow King. That's what I figure anyway.)

That really clears up the opening scene for me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

tetrapyloctomy posted:

"Just like the others."

This is physiologically impossible. That also doesn't really mean it's wrong in this show, though I'd be interested in seeing how you'd come up with a number like that using a blood pressure cuff.

That hit me hard too, to the point that I can't see this as an actual error, but maybe thinking the time travel stuff is in effect, or the "virus" causes a reversal in circulation or something.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Open Source Idiom posted:

But wait did Lenny ever really exist? I thought that was still an open question with the existence of Benny so absorbing their consciousness implies Benny existed also? But they were as made up as King?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

swickles posted:

That hit me hard too, to the point that I can't see this as an actual error, but maybe thinking the time travel stuff is in effect, or the "virus" causes a reversal in circulation or something.

That's exactly what I was thinking, too. I love that the show is so hosed up that it could have been completely intentional. (I like how blasé they are about it, too. "Welp, another physiologic impossibility, it must be Tuesday!")

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
This episode was kind of meh in my opinion. I hope that something happens in a later episode to flip what we just saw on it's head and make us see everything in a new light. I'm not exactly disappointed with it yet because that is probably definitely going to happen, but hopefully the next episode ramps up the WTF, because this one was kind of slow.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

"Just like the others."

idk poo poo about this so why

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It really is, I find myself way more confused about telepathy and dance-offs after watching it.

It was a dance fight

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

idk poo poo about this so why

The upper number is how much pressure is generated by the heart squeezing. The lower number is the pressure in between beats. So if the lower number was greater, when the heart was squeezing it would somehow be generating negative pressure, which would reverse blood flow (and require nonfunctional valves).

Thing is, when you measure blood pressure with a cuff you're just looking at a dial while slowly decreasing pressure and marking when you start to hear beats and when the noise goes away. So you'd still parse it as 120/90. You'd need an arterial pressure catheter to tell the difference, because then you could see the pressure wave mismatch.

Or, you know, Sci fi magic. So it might be a flub or it might not. They didn't shock asystole or anything, so they're still okay in my book.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I didn't think he literally meant they were going to carbon date David, just that they were going to do some fancy tests on him and it was easier to say something that most people can understand.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They come from a universe where all this stupid poo poo makes sense, where telepaths an telekinetics and robotic triplets all make sense. Obviously. The laws of physics that apply in our universe aren't applicable

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

God how I wish I smoked weed still.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Oasx posted:

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that creepy horse person that was slowly moving around when Melanie was getting high, I think it was in at least one other scene too.

Wasn't that taken from that horribly pretentious art piece with a bunch of people on stage with horse heads and crutches and others who were crotch thrusting themselves across the stage with floppy poles wobbling about?

atrus50 posted:

i clapped when i saw the floor pattern in david's dream room i know what that is

Okay. Wanna share it with the rest of us, then?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The upper number is how much pressure is generated by the heart squeezing. The lower number is the pressure in between beats. So if the lower number was greater, when the heart was squeezing it would somehow be generating negative pressure, which would reverse blood flow (and require nonfunctional valves).

Thing is, when you measure blood pressure with a cuff you're just looking at a dial while slowly decreasing pressure and marking when you start to hear beats and when the noise goes away. So you'd still parse it as 120/90. You'd need an arterial pressure catheter to tell the difference, because then you could see the pressure wave mismatch.

Or, you know, Sci fi magic. So it might be a flub or it might not. They didn't shock asystole or anything, so they're still okay in my book.

Dude, you gotta think more fantasy physiology. Maybe he's using his mutant brain to flex enhanced vascular smooth muscle to pump his blood and is doing so during diastole, then relaxing it all during systole just to trigger young doctors.

But seriously, I thought the exact same thing you did - they'd have to be using some kind of invasive measuring to theoretically even come up with that number.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

night slime posted:

The show's pretty straightforward after a while. I imagine that really is Syd from the future, and everything from the trailers and next episode preview seems to indicate that.

Everything about the visual storytelling suggests that no, it's a delusion.

But it's obvious enough that the show might just be loving with us on purpose, and I kind of hope so.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 14, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Really bummed that Melany's become a druggie/depressed & self-medicating, but at least she's got better taste than David in bongs.

If I were Cary I'd be extremely weary of experimenting on David ever again. You don't know if all of your equipment is gonna explode or if you're gonna get an irresistible urge to dance your socks off

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 5, 2018

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yooooo what did we do to deserve Legion? that premiere was loving insane and gorgeous and so loving weird. I LOOOOVE the moustache robot ladies, they're perfect.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

double nine posted:

If I were Cary I'd be extremely weary of experimenting on David ever again. You don't know if all of your equipment is gonna explode or if you're gonna get an irresistible urge to dance your socks off

Cary's one of my favorite characters on the show. He's this seemingly timid nerd, but his other half / alter ego is a young woman who can stand up to a SWAT team with a joke and a smile, and when he's faced with dangerous, god-like powers beyond his comprehension his first impulse is always curiosity. He's simultaneously portrayed as almost having a death wish, but also being incredibly helpful as an ally and a researcher because of it, and because of the tension between his expressed desire for safety on the one hand and how he actually acts on the other.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cary's one of my favorite characters on the show. He's this seemingly timid nerd, but his other half / alter ego is a young woman who can stand up to a SWAT team with a joke and a smile, and when he's faced with dangerous, god-like powers beyond his comprehension his first impulse is always curiosity. He's simultaneously portrayed as almost having a death wish, but also being incredibly helpful as an ally and a researcher because of it, and because of the tension between his expressed desire for safety on the one hand and how he actually acts on the other.

Dude, he's just cool. I loved his dancing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I can't get the dance-off tune out of my head, it's really catchy. Anyone know the name?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

double nine posted:

I can't get the dance-off tune out of my head, it's really catchy. Anyone know the name?

The composer wrote it for the show, apparently.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
B/t the reference to mazes and big dark rooms full of idle people I'm guessing someone really dug westworld

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6qp1DfDg7c

Can we get a Sunny/Legion crossover dance off event?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Future Sid was real Sid

She was wearing the compass that David gave to her in their room

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

Future Sid was real Sid

I think this is the case too, and the delusion actually crawled into Syd putting her in SK's pocket.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe. My thinking is more along the lines that they can’t kill Farouq the Mind unless it’s anchored in Farouq the Body.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Future Sid was real Sid

nice catch!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I think that the delusion might be Farouk's and it's probably that Farouk's body still exists.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 6, 2018

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Proteus Jones posted:

Future Sid was real Sid

But it's his delusion. He can't anchor discovery on something he knows like that, because his delusions are aware of his knowledge and can create coherent images.

What really gets me about someone trying to dive in halfway is just how dense this show is. Like... a one-armed Sed is telegraphed earlier when she's swapped with the cat and licking her hands:

I don't understand folks thinking Lenny is some extra person. She's Farouk, camera-zooms-into-eyes or not.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Proteus Jones posted:

Future Sid was real Sid

I noticed this but given the timeline could it not be a self-fulfilling prophecy? He saw her in the future (or at least thinks he did) so knows she has a necklace so he had that necklace commissioned so she'd have that necklace. If it was a random outside circumstance then oh well that confirms it but he's an inherently biased source.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The vision, as we see it, is his memory of it. Details of memories can (and do, especially in this show) change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dunno if it is relevant, guys more aware of Legion in the comics might talk about it better, also might be a spoiler so I am tagging this:

A Major Deal with Legion is his ability to shape capital letter Reality, at least in his more powerful incarnations. Space-time paradoxes are perfectly solvable with him because whoopsie if there is a problem in a current timeline (Legion A), then a splinter aspect in the future (Legion B) can retroactively manipulate poo poo in a continuous way so that A instead of doing stuff that would lead to B tries a different outcome that generates Legion C, simultaneously

That said, and this is a huge gigantic who the gently caress knows but it is actually slightly possible and would be hilariously Legion-y, when we are shown David trying to "remember" stuff later on, he wasn't actually doing so, but rather going to that moment in time he had the 'dance-off' (which imo was a great substitute for a psychic all-out battle) and actually changing the outcome in which David instead of trashing SK, gives him an opening in order to give aid, by which the delusion mentioned comes to fruit.

of course it might be that, it might be a thing a thousand times more complicated, but what I love about Hawley's take on Legion is that yeah sure it is crazy and that is why it is totally possible, and I love the fact that he picked a character that truly allows poo poo like that in the story :allears: