Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

isn’t that really about the xy problem though?

in many cases (where we're not concerned exactly with exactly how our programs run, only what they do, which tbh is most cases) I would say the XY problem is literally the mindset split between the declarative/functional (I kinda hate both terms) and the "imperative" crowd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Flat Daddy posted:

I failed a nodejs take home for not using OOP. I just used modules cuz I didn’t need state variables but I guess they wanted prototype inheritance or something. The problem was process a text file that’s a list of transactions and print the end state so I just parsed and then used reduce()

this is one of those cases where the interview process filters out interviewers you absolutely do not want to work with

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

GenJoe posted:

this is one of those cases where the interview process filters out interviewers you absolutely do not want to work with

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Flat Daddy posted:

I failed a nodejs take home for not using OOP. I just used modules cuz I didn’t need state variables but I guess they wanted prototype inheritance or something. The problem was process a text file that’s a list of transactions and print the end state so I just parsed and then used reduce()

They did you a favour.

Good rule of thumb, if you see JavaScript anywhere, run a million loving miles.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
javascript, php, or loaded gun?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I've done c# for years. Its not the language it's thinking in objects.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

javascript, php, or loaded gun?

dehumanize yourself and face to JavaScript

seriously JavaScript is going to be everything in the near future because we live in s cyberpunk hellscape ruled by donald loving trump

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ive got the final onsite interview with startup B this week, still waiting for startup A to schedule final onsite with them, i hoping they do it soon so i can (fingers crossed) have 2 competing offers

if B offers me a job next week, how fast do things move? i could take a couple of days to think it over, would they have me come to their office and then sign a contract, once contract is signed then i could hand in notice at current job? if i get an offer from startup A, could i try pitting one aagainst the other?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If not in America, an employer cannot withdraw an offer you've accepted without good reason. In America it makes no difference when to tell your employer because at will bitch.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Valeyard posted:

ive got the final onsite interview with startup B this week, still waiting for startup A to schedule final onsite with them, i hoping they do it soon so i can (fingers crossed) have 2 competing offers

if B offers me a job next week, how fast do things move? i could take a couple of days to think it over, would they have me come to their office and then sign a contract, once contract is signed then i could hand in notice at current job? if i get an offer from startup A, could i try pitting one aagainst the other?

you can straight up tell startup B you are waiting on A

being startups they will definitely try stupid poo poo like timebombed offers etc. every 20-something thinks he's the smart one who "hacked" recruiting. but it's all bullshit. (no offer is actually time bombed unless they have another candidate they like just as much)

professional courtesy demands that you be clear with them about timelines. it is completely ok to say you won't make a final decision until date N, pending another interview. just don't leave it up in the air

edit: you can also tell A that this is time sensitive, and you're excited about the position, but we need to get this poo poo ironed out

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you see plain old procedural languages didn't provide enough opportunity for idiot programmers to gently caress things up so we had to throw in continuation passing

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
thedailywtf doesn't take nodejs submissions because

1) even competent nodejs code is too sliced up to present coherently
2) the platform is fragmented by infinite combinations of npm libraries
3) there's no audience of self-respecting node programmers
4) AOTA

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

edit: you can also tell A that this is time sensitive, and you're excited about the position, but we need to get this poo poo ironed out

yeah so A (my preferred place just now) came back to me today and apologised for taking so long to schedule things since they are busy, and asked me for more times im available next week

i wasnt sure whether to tell them that i will have an interview tomorrow with another place (B) and if we could try to schedule it as soon as possible

in the end i didnt tell them, but i did ask that they schedule it as soon as possible

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i probably should have just told them

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Valeyard posted:

i probably should have just told them

yup

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A has just offered me a time on Wednesday next week (with the guarentee that they will have a yes/no deicison by the next day)

I have an interview tomorrow with B

you think if B give me an offer by Monday/Tuesday then i should be able to take a few days till Thursday and have decisions from both of them?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Valeyard posted:

A has just offered me a time on Wednesday next week (with the guarentee that they will have a yes/no deicison by the next day)

I have an interview tomorrow with B

you think if B give me an offer by Monday/Tuesday then i should be able to take a few days till Thursday and have decisions from both of them?

yes. nobody is going to give you less than a week or two for a major decision like taking a job. you’re worried about two days. it’s not a pop quiz, it’s a life decision.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I mean really you can buy more time than that just asking for more money and “thinking over” the offer (whether or not it’s changed)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

'i'm also interviewing with another company and need a week or two to complete their process as well'

if they try to rush you they're shitlords and you're better off without them. full-stop

i've had recruiters throw a 'we need your response in 2 days no exceptions' at me which is a huge red flag. at that point you can just accept their offer and then ditch them a week later if the other company turns out to be better. it's their own fault for being shitlords about it if they get mad at you for it.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
ive asked my dad and perused the Internet and im getting different answers, so Ill ask Goons: 

would it be bad to leave a job at the year mark? 

The current job I have is ok. but it can be pretty demanding, and I work with lovely clients (lawyers). Thats manageable but I also get a low salary for programming work. (30k). My previous job was not programming related but I stayed for 2 years, and before that was college. 

Ive become more confident with my programming skills, and Id like to have a job with a better quality of life, and a better pay. I would like to go back to school at one point for a different STEM degree, but id like to be able more financially stable before going. 

My dad says I should wait until at least 1.5 years.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
is that 30k in real money cause yeah you need to move on. also theres no reason to stay if you find a better position especially being as new to the workforce as you are.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

are you in america?

30k is criminally low if so

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

30k is insanely low, start shopping around.

1 year of experience isn't ideal to start looking but otoh if you can demonstrate that you've learned all the new-programmer basics (using source control, working with a team, some kind of process i.e scrum, etc) then thats the big concern most companies have: "we don't have time to train them"

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
yes im in america.

Unfortunately the company I work for currently does not have a standardized process, or source control for work. I suppose I could try implementing something myself, just to show that I can. Ive used git before.

Additionally, I dont know if it matters but my actual title isn't programmer. It's "Discovery Technician". I work in e-discovery. But i often have to write programs or tools for the company. Tools that are actively being used. I've updated legacy python code to Powershell, written an auto updating tool, written ruby and python scripts to cull legal data. I guess my point is, i know my title isnt programmer but its a significant portion of my job.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

updated legacy python code to Powershell

me too op i updated a legacy italian sub to a lump of stool yesterday afternoon

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

yes im in america.

Unfortunately the company I work for currently does not have a standardized process, or source control for work. I suppose I could try implementing something myself, just to show that I can. Ive used git before.

Additionally, I dont know if it matters but my actual title isn't programmer. It's "Discovery Technician". I work in e-discovery. But i often have to write programs or tools for the company. Tools that are actively being used. I've updated legacy python code to Powershell, written an auto updating tool, written ruby and python scripts to cull legal data. I guess my point is, i know my title isnt programmer but its a significant portion of my job.

Thats fair, then in interviews (and maybe cover letters) you should emphasize the amount of programming you do. Definently try and introduce source control and some kind of process (scrum, kanbahn, whatever). Both because that will look good to companies you interview with, and also because they're just good things.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Some dumb email spam posted:

Nerd Ninjas is looking for a Server Engineer to join our team! If tracking new ground in the gaming world excites you, this is the company for you! You’ll get to work on a project with novel mechanics targeting millions of concurrent users with a massive marketing budget that the world will know about when it launches. You don’t get opportunities like this every day.

We’re looking for a self-guided ninja who has a passion for video games and can spend the majority of the time working in their own dojo. We offer a signing bonus, competitive salary, benefits packages, bonuses, & other incentives as well.

If you’re interested in contributing to a ground breaking project out of our Bellevue office, let’s schedule some time to talk!

What a cute way of saying you're looking for people who work all the time! Haha sounds like such a fun place to work!!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yes im in america.

yeah go get a job anywhere else

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can also consider looking for QA roles if you have trouble finding jobs on your technical creds (or lack thereof).

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yes im in america.

consider that if they were to contract this work out they'd be looking at $140-$150 an hour MINIMUM.

i know that legal shops are notoriously lovely at considering that anyone but galaxy-brain lawyers deserve any sort of compensation whatsoever but have you talked about this with your boss? from what you've said so far i sincerely doubt that rolling out a standardized pipeline or source control would be viewed as anything but 'ok so he's just typing on a computer what's the big deal'

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

not saying you shouldn't do those things anyways- i'm saying it won't help your current situation. it'll look great for interviewers who will pay you a sane salary

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

yeah just start doing it while you're looking for a new job. Preferably a real software shop instead of being the "computer guy" for some other office.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ADINSX posted:

yeah just start doing it while you're looking for a new job. Preferably a real software shop instead of being the "computer guy" for some other office.

yeah don't be in a cost center.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

my first "software dev" job sounds very similar to yours except mine was in the medical industry. its nice to find people with similarly lovely experiences.

in funny job posting new, went to apply at a place that forces you to watch a video about the company before it takes you to the application page.
and in sabotaging my own jobsearch news, i found out i had a lovely sarcastic phrase hidden at the bottom of a job description on linkedin. not about the company or anything, but about being a volunteer worker and hearing stupid poo poo from people. im hoping my recent string of ghostings has more to do with bad recruiters than a stupid sarcastic comment but too late to worry about it i guess.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
tbh it’s not obvious to me that a legal discovery shop would need source control, to the extent that each discovery is a one off task and only the results are sent out

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

gently caress it man you're not shooting yourself in the foot by ditching a lovely job that pays less than half of what you should be getting. There's literally no downside to putting your resume out there and seeing what happens. Your dad comes from a time when company loyalty was much more common, but people don't tend to stay at one company that long these days. At least right now you'll be getting paid while job hunting.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Valeyard posted:

Absolutely you can.

And there's no reason to be coy. You should feel free to tell each one that you have another offer in the make, and that you absolutely, positively won't make a choice without the other offer in hand. Just emphasize how excited you are about the position, but, by the way....

This will make everyone happier (clarity) and it improves your negotiating position. (Their first bid may be higher because they suspect they won't get a chance to make a second bid)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Gazpacho posted:

tbh it’s not obvious to me that a legal discovery shop would need source control, to the extent that each discovery is a one off task and only the results are sent out

if it beefs up his resume they they need it

they’re only payin him 30 grand a year, use it to build experience with stuff you want to learn for your next job, imho.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

if it beefs up his resume they they need it

they’re only payin him 30 grand a year, use it to build experience with stuff you want to learn for your next job, imho.

:yossame:

actually always do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

company has been crowing about how amazing the new building is going to be, every conceivable facility for 450 people over 3 floors

it has 1 (one) meeting room