Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AngusPodgorny posted:

He's not a perfectionist in the sense that he sets impossibly high standards for himself, because there is no indication that he has any self-awareness so there's no internal criticism paralyzing him. All of his criticism is directed externally, because it's everyone else that fails to implement his flawless ever-mutating vision.

Slight modification, but entirely sensible other than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ramadu posted:

i hope the chuds in sc recreate Von Ormy in sc.

https://www.texasobserver.org/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-freest-little-city-in-texas/

this is the funniest story ever

I mean, far from every failed EvE alliance looks like that, but every EvE alliance that has looked like that has failed.

I'm fairly certain there's a good reason Partially-Automated Luxury Goon Space Communism works out well in games.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet Wagon posted:

Thank you, I made it myself. I call it a "Pocket Monster" and I use it to teach children about animal cruelty laws.

You should go eat both of those things. The Nipples Man is right, pickled beets are delicious and they're also a very pretty color

Quick warning of note for first time eaters of beets. After doing so your first bowel movement may inspire you to call emergency services as it will seem you just crapped out your intestines and a pint of blood. Just be ready and save yourself an unnecessary ER visit!

KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!

*Beet Foundation*

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DapperDon posted:

Maybe you missed some of my non blog posts where I have come out in defense of our Warlord for getting repeatedly poo poo on and have openly expressed my genuine like for the guy. The fact that he is emotionally stunted and does not possess the tools needed to return those affections is not a huge concern for me. I am confident in the non sexual feelings I have for Derek and he knows deep down inside his heart that he cares about us too.

:allears:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BluesShaman posted:

He's worth hundreds per year in avatar changes. He's Lowtax's golden goose.

And I am glad of it :grin:

----------------

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Ah yes, the thinly veiled corporate check in to make sure the terms of the agreement stand and the ex-emp will not be slinging poo poo about CIG any time soon.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Experimental Skin posted:

He really isn't a perfectionist. SC is proof enough of that, and his whole back catalogue.

He's some form of control freak, attempting to control things he really has not got a handle on, and so he fucks around the edges with his endless "visions" and art loving, because he really does not know what else to do. On some level he knows that.

I agree. That whole "he's a perfectionist" bullshit is one of those urban legend things that sprung up to explain his complete incompetence and ignorance.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

This is accurate. For someone to be a perfectionist there has to be some kind of objective idea of what constitutes perfect. A guy painting a house might be trying to cut the edges too closely and taking hours and hours on parts of the house barely even visible unless someone walks up with measuring instruments. That guy is the kind of person you'd tell "dude it doesn't have to be perfect."

Chris is the opposite. He has a very vague idea of how he wants things to look, even less of an idea of how he wants it to play, and those ideas are cribbed from half-formed memories of things he's seen other people already do. He can't give effective direction because he doesn't know what he's looking for, and therefore can't communicate it. He just "knows it when he sees it" so he has his artists do it over and over and over again, until it finally feels "right" to him.

This is then referred to as "perfectionism" by the morons who defend him.

:same:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Danknificent posted:

I would like to remind everyone that despite his crazy go nuts stuff, Derek has performed an important public service by raising awareness of CIG's shenanigans, which has prevented at least some people from being fooled and buying in.

Without Derek's antics to draw my attention to the problems, I have a feeling that I'd have spent sixty or seventy American dollars to buy the game. More important than saving me a little money, Derek has done my pride a favor; silly as it might be, I take some genuine comfort in being a never-backed rather than a saw-the-light.

So I appreciate Derek, even if he says and does bonkers things on the internet. It's not like he's the only one. :911:

Danke. Also, I couldn't have done it as successfully without my Goon army :grin:

I also want to thank Chris Roberts, Sandi Gardiner, Ortwin Freyermuth, Ben Lesnick, and all the other unknown fuckups working on the project, for their encouragement and support.

----------------

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Chris Roberts, perfectionist.

A Zoolander character, not an ambi-coder, a ridiculous over the top parody of a games developer, hasn't been relevant for 20+ years, blatantly steals ideas from others and claims them as his own, claims credit for inventing "new" tech that has been around for decades, wears cliche developer clothes à la Steve Jobs to assert the image that he is a high ranking dev of equivalent stature, outsources work then gets pissy if it's not to his improvised, uncommunicated and imaginary 'standards', cannot string a sentence together without um'ing and ah'ing every second or third word, has no idea what he's doing only that it'll be the best thing ever.

Place him side by side to other games developers who actually design and build games and watch as he disappears up his own anus.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

monkeytek posted:

Ah yes, the thinly veiled corporate check in to make sure the terms of the agreement stand and the ex-emp will not be slinging poo poo about CIG any time soon.

That moment you decide to leave (I heard he was terminated btw) a fantastic and famous project in the UK, to go to Sweden - without a firm job offer.

----------------

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hopefully something funny happens today.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

Hopefully something funny happens today.

It won't

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

What is "IT"?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What is "IT"?

It's it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chris Jericho is pleased.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Is that supposed to say "Default Ground Meat"?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
MAEP, from the proud makers of SCROD, here at Tane Enterprises.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is that supposed to say "Default Ground Meat"?

It's "Default Ground Maerial". They're going to need another $20M in pledges to put in the "t"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Foo Diddley posted:

It's "Default Ground Maerial". They're going to need another $20M in pledges to put in the "t"

DO NOT LIE TO ME GOOD SIR! THE SECRET IS OUT, THE SECRET IS MAEP.

PRAISE THE MAEP!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Thanks for all the free ships Will, brb setting up another !raffle

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Foo Diddley posted:

I can't think of anything more CIG than misspelling a placeholder texture.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
3.1 is worse than 3.0, which was worse than 2.6.7.

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm going to go a teensy weensy bit out on a limb and tentatively suggest that there might be a pattern here

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SomethingJones posted:

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm going to go a teensy weensy bit out on a limb and tentatively suggest that there might be a pattern here

The pattern I'm seeing, based on the historical data and some cautious extrapolation, is that pole-vaulting is confirmed for 3.2.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

They've updated the 'verse map and added a 3d VR mode.

It's now called...

The Plane'arium.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

SomethingJones posted:

Just wait for the ship optimisation you...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

I mean, far from every failed EvE alliance looks like that, but every EvE alliance that has looked like that has failed.

I'm fairly certain there's a good reason Partially-Automated Luxury Goon Space Communism works out well in games.

I could've sworn that we were an anarcho-syndicalist commune that elects an executive based on the ability to make Goons laugh and count to 20 *with their shoes on*.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Some people dreaded having to find ways to avoid meeting anyone from the community, but some people took it as an enjoyable challenge.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I strive to create the perfect shitpost.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But I wouldn't call myself a perfectionist.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ Oh, for gently caress's sake ^^^

Shipost auteur gives it more cred in these modern times

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

^^^ Oh, for gently caress's sake ^^^

Shipost auteur gives it more cred in these modern times

A Scorcese of bad opinions.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AngusPodgorny posted:

He's not a perfectionist in the sense that he sets impossibly high standards for himself, because there is no indication that he has any self-awareness so there's no internal criticism paralyzing him. All of his criticism is directed externally, because it's everyone else that fails to implement his flawless vision.

I like this explanation. Since he habitually lets himself off the hook while raking everyone else over the coals he's not a perfectionist.

He's just an rear end in a top hat.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

shitposting is not a destination, it is a journey

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hav posted:

I could've sworn that we were an anarcho-syndicalist commune that elects an executive based on the ability to make Goons laugh and count to 20 *with their shoes on*.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

AngusPodgorny posted:

He's not a perfectionist in the sense that he sets impossibly high standards for himself, because there is no indication that he has any self-awareness so there's no internal criticism paralyzing him. All of his criticism is directed externally, because it's everyone else that fails to implement his flawless vision.

He has no real skills so what else is he going to do but deflect criticism and micromanage pointless bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This is the dude currently sending me PMs about how calling Ben Lesnick a racist pedophile is character assassination and he's going going to get me kicked off reddit for it :allears: