Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I finally understand what those dumb flags hanging off every other lifted bro-truck are.

I assume a) this will sell out quickly because Dallas and b) at least half the people who’ll buy this also have blue lightbulbs all over the outside of their house.

How many people will wear that hat while they drive their car with this on the back window:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Clevland calls and raises

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/981908181659082752

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Alright St. Louis, balls in your court.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Alright St. Louis, balls in your court.

Hey man, I’m busy sending Piss Tape is Real hats to reporters.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Not sponsored by the team, Rangers still in the lead

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Glad they used the best possible picture for Cueto

https://twitter.com/JohnnyCueto/status/981927896112480256

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That white supremacist Rangers hat is an indication the Rangers and MLB need to diversify management a bit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I still laugh every time I think about that horse, or that type of horse.

I imagine them waking up in the morning and going "time to eat!" and then 500 steps later they've made it over to the feeding trough that was 10 feet away from where they were sleeping.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Inspector_666 posted:

How many people will wear that hat while they drive their car with this on the back window:

I’m going to guess no less than 30%, with an additional 15% also sporting a “SECEDE” sticker

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

In the context of Texas it's even more fun, since the revolution was started largely because Mexico outlawed slavery

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pancakes posted:

Hey man, I’m busy sending Piss Tape is Real hats to reporters.

You got a mention over in the Trump thread in D&D for those hats.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sponsored by Koch Industries.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I wonder what Sale's ERA in that timeframe is if you take away his starts against the Twins

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Intruder posted:

In the context of Texas it's even more fun, since the revolution was started largely because Mexico outlawed slavery

The only state with the honor of having seceded from two nations just to keep slaves

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Live coverage:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

IcePhoenix posted:

I wonder what Sale's ERA in that timeframe is if you take away his starts against the Twins

Career: 2.97 ERA

Career without Twins starts: 2.84 ERA
Career without Twins and Indians starts: 2.63 ERA

(Indians actually beat him up more than the Twins)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wasn't Thin Blue Line an anti-cop movie?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Career: 2.97 ERA

Career without Twins starts: 2.84 ERA
Career without Twins and Indians starts: 2.63 ERA

(Indians actually beat him up more than the Twins)

I went and looked at Kershaw and he has a career 1.60 ERA against the Giants in 303.1 innings.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

You got a mention over in the Trump thread in D&D for those hats.

Well yeah, C-SPAM gimmick hat ends up on Chris Hayes’ instagram is pretty funny.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

I went and looked at Kershaw and he has a career 1.60 ERA against the Giants in 303.1 innings.
It's why he's the GOAT Dodgers pitcher, truly a Giantslayer.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It rules that the Texas Rangers, a team literally named for cops, needs to be more... coppier

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

How does the math work -- if he's even reasonably productive for a decent time both ways does he run away as the most valuable player of the modern era?

I think it's less lopsided than it would seem at first blush. The schedule they've got him on has him pitching every 6th day rather than every 5th and DHing in 3 games in between. That works out to about a half-season's worth of at-bats as a DH, where it's going to be hard for him to rack up much in the way of WAR because of the penalty for lack of defense. David Ortiz put up a 134 wRC+ over about 600 plate appearances in 2014 and that was only good for 2.3 WAR. Even assuming that Ohtani could produce such sterling offensive numbers, over 300 PAs at a no defense position they'd probably only be worth about 1 WAR. He'd generate almost all of his value from his pitching.

This is just napkin math and I love Ohtani and want him to do well, I just don't think his MVP candidacy would be a slam dunk even if he excels at both roles.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Live coverage:

Hey, that story has almost kind of a happy ending, though!

quote:

[In 2016], Rodriguez would ask Roche’s forgiveness and admit he was wrong from dressing in red face.

“He approached me and apologized,” Roche told ICTMN. “It shocked me. I never expected [that]. He said he was an avid fan, but he was sorry and he understood where I was coming from now.”

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ego symphonic posted:

I think it's less lopsided than it would seem at first blush. The schedule they've got him on has him pitching every 6th day rather than every 5th and DHing in 3 games in between. That works out to about a half-season's worth of at-bats as a DH, where it's going to be hard for him to rack up much in the way of WAR because of the penalty for lack of defense. David Ortiz put up a 134 wRC+ over about 600 plate appearances in 2014 and that was only good for 2.3 WAR. Even assuming that Ohtani could produce such sterling offensive numbers, over 300 PAs at a no defense position they'd probably only be worth about 1 WAR. He'd generate almost all of his value from his pitching.

This is just napkin math and I love Ohtani and want him to do well, I just don't think his MVP candidacy would be a slam dunk even if he excels at both roles.

Pujols to DH, Ohtani to SS on days he's not pitching. There problem solved.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wasn't Thin Blue Line an anti-cop movie?

Not explicitly, but it definitely exposes the Dallas PD at the time as extremely incompetent and corrupt. The phrase “thin blue line” dates back to the 50’s, and it’s actually a modified line from a Kipling poem.

So either way, it’s not something any rational person would use if they had bothered to research its origins.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

And thus, progress was made.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spoeank posted:

It rules that the Texas Rangers, a team literally named for cops, needs to be more... coppier

They're still owned or part-owned or whatever by a right wing war criminal right?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

They're still owned or part-owned or whatever by a right wing war criminal right?

i don't like what tom hicks did to liverpool one bit but it is excessive to call it a war crime

edit - the same can be said of nolan ryan and robin ventura although i admit liking that

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 5, 2018

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawfuls posted:

Do Royals fans hate the Mets now? Do Cubs fans hate Cleveland? Did Giants fans hate the Rangers after 2010? It's a weird dynamic I don't really understand. But at least a bunch of Texans are happy, and that's what really matters.

I dunno - I still don't like the White Sox - but you made fun of Houston as a city and Houstonians are oddly defensive and prideful about the city itself even though it is not exactly functional or aesthetically pleasing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spoeank posted:

I believe they are named after poor nomads who lived in the wilds surrounding Bree and the Shire.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Nah, W sold his stake in the team when he became president.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bewbies posted:

i don't like what tom hicks did to liverpool one bit but it is excessive to call it a war crime

edit - the same can be said of nolan ryan and robin ventura although i admit liking that

Nolan Ryan can gently caress right off after the bullshit he pulled with Josh Hamilton.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“We’ll be OK … We just need the manager to get out of the way,” one Phillies player asserted of their obviously improved team, and just as obviously unproven manager.

It’s April 5

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

I dunno - I still don't like the White Sox

I'm a Mets fan and I fuckin hate the Royals now. I don't understand how you couldn't (at least a little) hate the team that beat you in a World Series. I hate Zobrist most of all

I've never been a sports fan capable of, "they were the better team on the day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hell I still hate the Braves and the Twins beat them in the World Series

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
outside of the Astros and Marlins, I just root for Venezuelan players to do well because it's not like my poo poo birth-country has anything else going for it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm a Mets fan and I fuckin hate the Royals now. I don't understand how you couldn't (at least a little) hate the team that beat you in a World Series. I hate Zobrist most of all

Same but Salvador Perez.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

euphronius posted:

“We’ll be OK … We just need the manager to get out of the way,” one Phillies player asserted of their obviously improved team, and just as obviously unproven manager.

It’s April 5

I bet money that was Arietta.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Explosionface posted:

I bet money that was Arietta.

A subsequent story points to him yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit