Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

loving ace, thanks.

E: Yeah this is exactly perfect. Starting with no passing and instructors in cars, moving to passing on straights, then eventually moving to solo driving and passing. That's exactly what I was hoping for.

Also look into the scca. Sports car club of America. I personally like NASA better but those are your two big w2w orgs that do ameture stuff. Also they're volunteer. You can go be a corner worker and get to know some of the people. Or just go to an event and spectate it. Wander around and talk to the people there about their cars, the class they race in etc. Getting to know the people and popular classes in your area will help you pick a car to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Driving an open wheel racer imo is one of the reasons to do a driving school, as the driving dynamics and focus are very different to a road car.

e: but it's nice to run a track in a road car first and then come back and experience it again in the open wheel car. That's Bondurant's progression. Apparently the road car is now a Hellcat instead of a Corvette.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 4, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Also look into the scca. Sports car club of America. I personally like NASA better but those are your two big w2w orgs that do ameture stuff. Also they're volunteer. You can go be a corner worker and get to know some of the people. Or just go to an event and spectate it. Wander around and talk to the people there about their cars, the class they race in etc. Getting to know the people and popular classes in your area will help you pick a car to build.

The small, local orgs will also likely have a couple of time trial and w2w classes, as well. The rules will be much looser than SCCA or NASA, and the track days will likely be shitshows.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm really interested in getting into some rookie racing but I don't really know how to start. :shobon: I've read enough jalopnik articles about track days and rookie rally racers that I'm really getting the bug, but I need some more information.

It seems like most racing is reserved for Lewis Hamiltons that started karting at age 2 and are already signed to a sponsored team by the time they're 15 and live as a full-time racer.
I have a good career that I don't want to stop but man I'd really love to do some races here and there on the side as a hobby, not full time or anything. But I'm not sure how to start or even if that's possible?

There's a track near me (Austin, TX) that does time trials, so I may try to do that. And there's opportunities to rent supercars to drive on that course or at COTA, which is expensive but would be a pretty wild time.
But what about actual wheel-to-wheel racing and passing and stuff? I can totally get that you don't want random teenage yahoos coming in with no experience smashing people and ruining races. But so... how do you get started?

They have some programs at the track for 'learning racing' but I feel like I'd spend several hundred dollars just to have them teach me the basics and then that'd be that. I need something that's like a proper intro to competition. I'm willing to put in the hours and pay money and take lessons if that's what it takes, but I don't want to just spend money for lessons unless I know its actually building towards getting into races.

I'm not naive, I know I'm not anywhere remotely ready to just show up to the Pirelli challenge or something. But what else is there? It seems like there's a huge gap between karting and time trials and actual GT racing. Do I just have to do kart races first?

Even in kart racing, it seems like there's a huge gulf between "tiny restricted karts for kids on weekends" and "proper fast karts that cost tons of money and race each other".

Also looking to purchase some old car as a project / track car and kit it up, although that makes me question what races or leagues or anything I might potentially be qualified for in the future, and if so, I'd want to get a car or build a car that fits the regulations of whatever league. So I kinda want to get an early idea of where to go and what options I have before I start throwing down serious cash.

There's a rally course not too far outside Austin that seems to accept basically any car and doesn't require a roll cage, so I may just do time trials on that rally course and avoid actual racing. But it would be super awesome to get into some real races on a track someday.

E: Like if I kit up some Miata, are there rookie leagues I could race in? If I'm not qualified yet, what would I have to do to get qualified? X hours on a track? X hours with an instructor? What are the requirements and what kinda races should I be looking at?
I race with NASA TX and we have a race coming up at COTA May 5-6. It’s open to the public and free to get in and spectate. It will be a great chance to look at all the different cars and classes that are available. Drop me a PM if you want some more info.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Zaphod42 posted:

loving ace, thanks.

E: Yeah this is exactly perfect. Starting with no passing and instructors in cars, moving to passing on straights, then eventually moving to solo driving and passing. That's exactly what I was hoping for.

There's also SCCA and associated clubs - I am of the opinion that getting a used Spec Miata is a great solution because it lets you have a relatively reliable, simple car that you can transition from running track days and stuff to running wheel to wheel. I am not of the opinion that having instructors in the car is the necessity that some think it is, but I'm probably in the minority. Not a big deal. You're almost definitely never going to be doing things professionally but it's an absolute blast. I got my Midwestern Council (basically SCCA-lite) W2W license last year and ran Road America among other places last year.

Look up NASA and SCCA events, go hang out and talk to people. NASA is basically a non-entity here and SCCA/Midwestern Council have events almost every weekend so I'm biased against NASA, other areas will be different.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Zaphod42 posted:

Also looking to purchase some old car as a project / track car and kit it up, although that makes me question what races or leagues or anything I might potentially be qualified for in the future, and if so, I'd want to get a car or build a car that fits the regulations of whatever league. So I kinda want to get an early idea of where to go and what options I have before I start throwing down serious cash.

If your goal is W2W, do not build. Buy something when you are ready and have found an organization/class with good local attendance. Good used racecars sell for 25-50% of the build cost.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

BlackMK4 posted:

The small, local orgs will also likely have a couple of time trial and w2w classes, as well. The rules will be much looser than SCCA or NASA, and the track days will likely be shitshows.

It depends. Some are good and some are bad. The best track days I've had were with a local club. The bonus is that you get a lot more seat time in HPDE when they are running no races and minimal time trials.
Just make sure to keep your instructor evaluations (or get a NASA logbook for them to fill out) so you can transfer your experience to another organization easily.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crustashio posted:

If your goal is W2W, do not build. Buy something when you are ready and have found an organization/class with good local attendance. Good used racecars sell for 25-50% of the build cost.

Interesting! I also kinda like the appeal of working on my own car, but can't say I could complain about skipping most of the hard work. I didn't even consider that, a used racecar. Wouldn't know where to shop for one, but I guess if I start hanging around with the track guys I'll find some options.

I drive a BBW posted:

I race with NASA TX and we have a race coming up at COTA May 5-6. It’s open to the public and free to get in and spectate. It will be a great chance to look at all the different cars and classes that are available. Drop me a PM if you want some more info.

I've been going to COTA a lot lately so I'll probably be there, sounds like good times.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Crustashio posted:

I enjoyed building a 944 spec car, but have only tracked it twice and never raced. It was a lot of fun to build, but was simultaneously a fantastic way to light $10,000+ on fire.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Just make sure to keep your instructor evaluations (or get a NASA logbook for them to fill out) so you can transfer your experience to another organization easily.
Is this an east coast thing? :v:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

BlackMK4 posted:

Is this an east coast thing? :v:

You can ask for one, but otherwise you can just show up and go in any class you want. I once saw two guys go straight in to DE4 on their second or third track days because they had fast cars. If you don't get flagged on track nobody will know, they certainly don't check in my experience.

They told us about the logbooks in DE1 but other than that I've only had it mentioned when I asked for an instructor in 2 on a track I hadn't been on and they asked if I wanted them to sign anything after.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Gigi Galli posted:

You can ask for one, but otherwise you can just show up and go in any class you want. I once saw two guys go straight in to DE4 on their second or third track days because they had fast cars. If you don't get flagged on track nobody will know, they certainly don't check in my experience.

They told us about the logbooks in DE1 but other than that I've only had it mentioned when I asked for an instructor in 2 on a track I hadn't been on and they asked if I wanted them to sign anything after.

Shrug, in both the Mid-Atlantic NASA region and WDC Region SCCA I got logbooks (if I didn't already have one) every time I walked into a classroom session.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Interesting! I also kinda like the appeal of working on my own car, but can't say I could complain about skipping most of the hard work. I didn't even consider that, a used racecar. Wouldn't know where to shop for one, but I guess if I start hanging around with the track guys I'll find some options.

I've been going to COTA a lot lately so I'll probably be there, sounds like good times.

Racingjunk.com is a good start. NASA and scca have forums with classified sections. If you see something you're interested in link it in here and we'll pick it apart.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

but otherwise you can just show up and go in any class you want. I once saw two guys go straight in to DE4 on their second or third track days because they had fast cars. If you don't get flagged on track nobody will know, they certainly don't check in my experience.

This is gonna depend on who you run with and how much they view instruction as core philosophy vs CYA, but lots of groups do check. Specifically to avoid having Dickie Speedmaster sign himself up for the fastest run group.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

SlapActionJackson posted:

This is gonna depend on who you run with and how much they view instruction as core philosophy vs CYA, but lots of groups do check. Specifically to avoid having Dickie Speedmaster sign himself up for the fastest run group.

That was/is my experience with NASA northeast. I'm not saying it happens often, but it definitely happens.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I actually have a NASA logbook and rookie license but I've never filled in any of my fifteen or so track days. If I'm going to a new track I usually give them a list of my experience and maybe a link to my youtube channel for evidence of that.

poo poo, a lot of my GoPro's have spins in them now. That might not be the best approach.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I have a ton of feedback on my motorsportsreg account from various clubs. Alternately, get a comp license and run in the advanced group with whoever you want.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I went to the NASA Northeast season opener at Lime Rock and during the driver meeting they mentioned something exciting in the works, an HPDE contingency program. No details yet on how it works, but pretty exciting to me as a low level DE driver since offsetting cost of incidentals in anyway possible is always what I’m looking for so I can pay for more seat time.

Also Lime Rock is a hell of a track. Easy to learn but good lord there seem to be a lot of challenges in mastering it. Downhill right onto the main straight is exhilarating. Only times I hit the brakes there was in traffic.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not sure if they're still doing it, NASA Southeast you could be a corner worker for a weekend to have reduced or free entry towards a future DE.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Phone posted:

I'm not sure if they're still doing it, NASA Southeast you could be a corner worker for a weekend to have reduced or free entry towards a future DE.

In northeast you can volunteer and 2 days gets you 1 de day, or you have the option to work/drive if you are cleared for solo driving the event, and you get 2 sessions in throughout the day while working, which totals out to 2 work days 1 de day because de days have 4 sessions.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

I went to the NASA Northeast season opener at Lime Rock and during the driver meeting they mentioned something exciting in the works, an HPDE contingency program. No details yet on how it works, but pretty exciting to me as a low level DE driver since offsetting cost of incidentals in anyway possible is always what I’m looking for so I can pay for more seat time.

Also Lime Rock is a hell of a track. Easy to learn but good lord there seem to be a lot of challenges in mastering it. Downhill right onto the main straight is exhilarating. Only times I hit the brakes there was in traffic.

I love lime rock, but being behind someone who hits the brakes on that exact turn is infuriating. Does a Miata seriously not have to brake on the right hander before that though?

Also did they add the chicanes? I wanted to go but it's hard for me to get out to Friday days.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I love lime rock, but being behind someone who hits the brakes on that exact turn is infuriating. Does a Miata seriously not have to brake on the right hander before that though?

Also did they add the chicanes? I wanted to go but it's hard for me to get out to Friday days.

No chicanes and I’m not in a Miata but from everything I’ve heard no they don’t use the brakes for west bend.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So this is kind of a general question but maybe your experiences can guide me in the right direction.

If I'm coming out of a slowish corner to a straight where I can either be way up top of second or low third gear on exit what is the best choice? Part of me thinks second but WRX is decently torquey that bottom of third is not too bad either.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is the potential time loss or gain worth a .5 second shift?

Unless if you're running a huge turbo that doesn't spool until 4.5k or something, I can't see the 2nd gear exit being faster. Set up trap marker on your lap timer and do A/B testing to see which is actually faster.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

No chicanes and I’m not in a Miata but from everything I’ve heard no they don’t use the brakes for west bend.

Oh for some reason I thought you were, sorry. I definitely need the brakes there, though given how wide it is there that just means I need to drive better.

net work error posted:

So this is kind of a general question but maybe your experiences can guide me in the right direction.

If I'm coming out of a slowish corner to a straight where I can either be way up top of second or low third gear on exit what is the best choice? Part of me thinks second but WRX is decently torquey that bottom of third is not too bad either.

How low rpm in third are we talking here? In mine anything below 3.5k I'd probably want to stay in second.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Gridlife Mid Ohio was kind of a bust. Had fun hanging out with my buddies but I got two sessions on Sat morning and then the heavy rains came. I wasnt willing to put my car on the wet track, so that was it for me. Ive run on a wet track a bit before at other tracks, but Mid Ohio is serious business and is really treacherous when wet.

So cut my loses and bailed out early on day two. Prob wont be scheduling anymore April midwest track days in the future :v:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

How low rpm in third are we talking here? In mine anything below 3.5k I'd probably want to stay in second.

Maybe like 4k or so? Can't really remember too accurately but it's not crazy low.

I'll pay for RaceChrono and see what the result is from that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Make sure you have a 10Hz bluetooth GPS to hook up to.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

PaintVagrant posted:

Gridlife Mid Ohio was kind of a bust. Had fun hanging out with my buddies but I got two sessions on Sat morning and then the heavy rains came. I wasnt willing to put my car on the wet track, so that was it for me. Ive run on a wet track a bit before at other tracks, but Mid Ohio is serious business and is really treacherous when wet.

So cut my loses and bailed out early on day two. Prob wont be scheduling anymore April midwest track days in the future :v:

Might as well race a Corvette with that attitude.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

FatCow posted:

Might as well race a Corvette with that attitude.

Eh. It's the banks' car, my man.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Eh. It's the banks' car, my man.

what is the overall opinion on track insurance? I'm thinking about buying it myself since my car is also financed and I'll be doing a TNiA next month. It seems like it's probably worth it since if I flipped my car I'd be hosed

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Sex Weirdo posted:

what is the overall opinion on track insurance? I'm thinking about buying it myself since my car is also financed and I'll be doing a TNiA next month. It seems like it's probably worth it since if I flipped my car I'd be hosed

Buy the insurance.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Heading out to the ring for a full opl track day on Saturday.
Don’t suppose any of you lot are out? I realise most are American.

Getting some tips from big Nige:

https://youtu.be/h_hLD6WR0q0

And letting him and VLN maniac Moran have a go in the LSM3. Should give some good places to start to improve the car as well as my own driving. Can’t wait.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sex Weirdo posted:

Buy it, I know two people that have wadded their cars up at HPDEs in the last year and it paid out no questions asked both times.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Buy it, I know two people that have wadded their cars up at HPDEs in the last year and it paid out no questions asked both times.

What company?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Yeah I just caved and picked some up. I'm going to be on much more aggressive springs with lots more camber this time at Roebling, and it will be my last time at the track so I know I'm going to be pushing it. Better to just realize I still gently caress up trying to late brake an old 911 and buy the insurance.

Edit: I usually spin once an event, but always between turn-in and apex trying to trail brake which is a pretty safe way to spin. Never gone off track at speed yet!

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 17, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Voltage posted:

What company?

I believe Lockton, I know that's who they have used and recommended in the past. A lot more offerings since last time I was running HPDE

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I believe Lockton, I know that's who they have used and recommended in the past. A lot more offerings since last time I was running HPDE

That's who I use, and one of my friends had to use them last year. He got a decent amount imo.

Side note, I had to call them once to ask about a day they didn't have listed on their site and the guy told me that he would update the CSV and to just hang on a second and refresh the page, lol

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Heading out to the ring for a full opl track day on Saturday.
Don’t suppose any of you lot are out? I realise most are American.

Getting some tips from big Nige:

https://youtu.be/h_hLD6WR0q0

And letting him and VLN maniac Moran have a go in the LSM3. Should give some good places to start to improve the car as well as my own driving. Can’t wait.

Never heard of OPL? Got a link are they a uk tdo?

You gonna do any days over here? I'll def be up for some as soon as my engines run in. I might start out easy with bedford again because it's been more than a year since I've been out on track now, but you've gotta give donnington a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Never heard of OPL? Got a link are they a uk tdo?

You gonna do any days over here? I'll def be up for some as soon as my engines run in. I might start out easy with bedford again because it's been more than a year since I've been out on track now, but you've gotta give donnington a go.

Opl is just open pitlane m9. It’s a circuit days day.

Yeah man I’ll come along if you book anything. Ideally want some Friday days so I don’t lose too many hours at work. Either track is fine with me!