Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Chairshots in WWE always look real weird now. Chairshots to the head being a nogo is a good thing, but the clumsy maneuvering people do with chairs now to get them into the right position to strike with really makes them look goofy rather than like something that could end a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

shiksa posted:

what's the most unintentionally funny offense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4zYfaTBLk0

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Is there much of any story behind the unaffiliated wrestlers in NJPW? Like for Tanahashi, I imagine it would be something about how he's the Ace and doesn't need anyone to help him. Not that every wrestler in NJPW needs to be a part of a stable, but it seems like with few exceptions all the main card guys are. For that matter, I usually only see people suddenly in their stables, not necessarily lobby or get invited (besides Jay White earlier this year). Is there ever much of a story line regarding new members or is it always just, "they're in this group now"?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

shiksa posted:

i used to think it was shanes punches but then i really got a look at eric bischoff's lovely little karate kicks and now i'm thinkin

CM Punk's "Muay Thai" strikes

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

John Morrison is all over the place now so I don't know where to post this but Boone the Bounty Hunter is now on Netflix. I watched the first hour and it's way higher production quality than expected. Wouldn't be surprised if Johnny gets some stunt work in the future based on how well he flips.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Tweak posted:

Is there much of any story behind the unaffiliated wrestlers in NJPW? Like for Tanahashi, I imagine it would be something about how he's the Ace and doesn't need anyone to help him. Not that every wrestler in NJPW needs to be a part of a stable, but it seems like with few exceptions all the main card guys are. For that matter, I usually only see people suddenly in their stables, not necessarily lobby or get invited (besides Jay White earlier this year). Is there ever much of a story line regarding new members or is it always just, "they're in this group now"?

Most of the unaffiliated older guys, like Tanahashi, were around from before NJPW became based around stables. Makabe is technically a part of the GBH faction, but he's the only member left. Kojima used to lead Suzuki-Gun(then called Kojima-Gun), but was kicked out and replaced by Minoru Suzuki.

Most new stable members do have some sort of story or connection to another character as to how they joined. For example, CHAOS was founded by Shinsuke Nakamura and Toru Yano, with Gedo, Jado, and Ishii joining very early on. Rocky Romero was invited by Nakamura, who later on invited Trent to be his tag team-partner and more recently brought Sho and Yo once they returned from excursion. Shortly after Okada's return from excursion, he made a public announcement that he was joining Chaos, invited by Gedo. Okada invited Ospreay after facing him on a tour of the UK, and also invited Goto after beating him in a match and telling him that if he joins Chaos he might not suck so bad(he still does). I have no idea how Yoshi-Hashi or Sakuraba got involved with the group.

Sometimes it's explained in press conferences, or twitter, or on commentary, but there almost always is some kind of story, or connection to existing members.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
All unaffiliated NJ wrestlers are part of Team Taguchi.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

shiksa posted:

i used to think it was shanes punches but then i really got a look at eric bischoff's lovely little karate kicks and now i'm thinkin

Nia Jax' leg drop. it's so abominably bad.

(I suppose I could just say "Nia Jax" and leave it at that)

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Son of Man posted:

what's wrong with cesaro's shoulder?

This is a page or two back but nothing at all. He wears that tape because he think it makes him look cool & unique.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hako posted:

This is a page or two back but nothing at all. He wears that tape because he think it makes him look cool & unique.

DDP's taped ribs for a new generation!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

the escape goat posted:

All leg drops are bad.

Except X-Pac's.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

the escape goat posted:

Nia did this summersault leg drop thing on some jobber on Raw, and it was awesome, and I've never seen her do it again.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

D.N. Nation posted:

Nia did this summersault leg drop thing on some jobber on Raw, and it was awesome, and I've never seen her do it again.

She did it to Asuka but it was botched.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

fart blood posted:

She did it to Asuka but it was botched.

Ah, that'll do it, then. Shame.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Can anybody name any tag teams who hated each other IRL?

The only team I can think of is The British Bulldogs, mostly because Dynamite Kid hates everybody

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

ChrisBTY posted:

The only team I can think of is The British Bulldogs, mostly because Dynamite Kid hates everybody

the rock and roll express didn't like each other very much and weren't friends outside of the ring. i don't know if you would say "hated" but they were only there to do the work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

By the end of their short run The Blade Runners didn't like each other at all.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

HBK and Jannetty had a bar fight IIRC.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You may have heard some things about the Mega Powers...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The WWE team The Dicks (Tank Toland and Chad Wicks) disliked each other, apparently.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The WWE team The Dicks (Tank Toland and Chad Wicks) disliked each other, apparently.

Not liking your partner sounds like a real... Dick move

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lawler and Dundee didn't get along, or at least they weren't friends, and while they often feuded they also won multiple tag titles together.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Since I'll get banned for asking about it in the thread itself. What is the Greatest Royal Rumble roulette for?

And my follow-up, because I know somebody will reply "The Greatest Royal Rumble." What is it referring to?

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Hockles posted:

Since I'll get banned for asking about it in the thread itself. What is the Greatest Royal Rumble roulette for?

And my follow-up, because I know somebody will reply "The Greatest Royal Rumble." What is it referring to?

50 man Rumble live in Saudi Arabia on April 27th

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

21 Hoot Salute posted:

50 man Rumble live in Saudi Arabia on April 27th

That sounds cool. Is it a Saudi-only thing, or a cross-promotion with WWE and another promotion?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Its being shown on the network the story is some saudi or saudis paid wwe a shitload to fly out there and do the show/

Also no women allowed like some kids treehouse

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hockles posted:

That sounds cool. Is it a Saudi-only thing, or a cross-promotion with WWE and another promotion?

It's going to be live streamed on the Network

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Hockles posted:

It's part of this weird new Push Saudi Arabia initiative that's been going on the last few weeks/months in the US. Some kind of massive PR push which includes things like fluff magazines about Saudi Arabia/royalty. Like full magazines with NO ADS, published by the National Enquirer people. Someone who's more involved with global PR initiatives can tell you "why" but I don't know anything beyond noticing the marketing.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
invest in eastern poland

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Can't wait for Takeover Azerbaijan

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Natural Born Thrillers in Manilla

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Can't wait for Takeover Azerbaijan
It will be called Takeover Europe

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Mob posted:

It's part of this weird new Push Saudi Arabia initiative that's been going on the last few weeks/months in the US. Some kind of massive PR push which includes things like fluff magazines about Saudi Arabia/royalty. Like full magazines with NO ADS, published by the National Enquirer people. Someone who's more involved with global PR initiatives can tell you "why" but I don't know anything beyond noticing the marketing.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) is this weird dystopian nightmare for anyone who isn’t a male member of the House of Saud. Functionally it never left the Middle Ages and there is effective slavery and serfdom practiced openly in the country. Until recently there was a ban on women driving, and (I think) still a ban on women going out in public unaccompanied by a male relative.

Under KSA rules (prior to 2016 anyway), when the king died his oldest BROTHER got the throne and not his oldest son. This changed in 2016 or 2017 (I forget, TBQH) when the current king named his son as his heir and cut out his brother(s). This did not sit well with the brothers and their families and thus there was talk - unsure how serious - of some kind of protest / coup. The US got wind of it and then, shortly after a trip by Trump’s son in law Jerad Kushner, the “rebels” were rounded up and placed under house arrest. This MASSIVELY upset the delicate balance in the Middle East where traditionally KSA is seen as the stable rock upon which every other country can look to as as a model country. Coupled with the ongoing events in Yemen and the overall shadow / proxy war with Iran, and the ever present knowledge that Al Qaeda was financed by KSA royalty and KSA is just trying to project an aura of calm and that everything is OK.

Part of this, the new heir Muhammad bin Salman (MBS), has been this world tour. Spending his money on a good positive message and smoothing his eventual succession of his father. The WWE is playing a part in this, as is the Rock who posted about meeting MBS and how great it was to hear him speak. Trump and Kushner have ties in the region but AFAIK not in KSA directly and the hope is that MBS would change this as part of his modernization efforts. Ideally a new Dubai-like global finance and tourist destination would pop up with all the crazy of Dubai cranked to like 5000. This Rumble is a part of that effort as well.

Put it another way - imagine if Steph and HHH were cut out of the WWE by Vince and Shane inherited the whole thing. Then Steph and HHH were sent in exile to set up NXT on the moon. Meanwhile Shane puts on THE GREAT GRANDADDY OF THEM ALL - WRESTLEPHORIA in which over 100 matches by people from around the world (but no girls allowed) to make everyone say “HHH who??” That’s pretty much what’s going on here.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

how does MK Ultra fit in to all this

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mob posted:

how does MK Ultra fit in to all this

They have it but all the female characters have been changed to new palette swaps of Sub Zero.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Nystral posted:

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) is this weird dystopian nightmare for anyone who isn’t a male member of the House of Saud. Functionally it never left the Middle Ages and there is effective slavery and serfdom practiced openly in the country. Until recently there was a ban on women driving, and (I think) still a ban on women going out in public unaccompanied by a male relative.

Under KSA rules (prior to 2016 anyway), when the king died his oldest BROTHER got the throne and not his oldest son. This changed in 2016 or 2017 (I forget, TBQH) when the current king named his son as his heir and cut out his brother(s). This did not sit well with the brothers and their families and thus there was talk - unsure how serious - of some kind of protest / coup. The US got wind of it and then, shortly after a trip by Trump’s son in law Jerad Kushner, the “rebels” were rounded up and placed under house arrest. This MASSIVELY upset the delicate balance in the Middle East where traditionally KSA is seen as the stable rock upon which every other country can look to as as a model country. Coupled with the ongoing events in Yemen and the overall shadow / proxy war with Iran, and the ever present knowledge that Al Qaeda was financed by KSA royalty and KSA is just trying to project an aura of calm and that everything is OK.

Part of this, the new heir Muhammad bin Salman (MBS), has been this world tour. Spending his money on a good positive message and smoothing his eventual succession of his father. The WWE is playing a part in this, as is the Rock who posted about meeting MBS and how great it was to hear him speak. Trump and Kushner have ties in the region but AFAIK not in KSA directly and the hope is that MBS would change this as part of his modernization efforts. Ideally a new Dubai-like global finance and tourist destination would pop up with all the crazy of Dubai cranked to like 5000. This Rumble is a part of that effort as well.

Put it another way - imagine if Steph and HHH were cut out of the WWE by Vince and Shane inherited the whole thing. Then Steph and HHH were sent in exile to set up NXT on the moon. Meanwhile Shane puts on THE GREAT GRANDADDY OF THEM ALL - WRESTLEPHORIA in which over 100 matches by people from around the world (but no girls allowed) to make everyone say “HHH who??” That’s pretty much what’s going on here.

drat dude this is the most cogent foreign policy analysis I've read on the issue and we're posting in an internet wrestling forum

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Son of Man posted:

drat dude this is the most cogent foreign policy analysis I've read on the issue and we're posting in an internet wrestling forum

Thank GIP current events thread. They’re good at distilling things down and making sure it’s not 100% US-focused all the time. Family members of mine lived in KSA back in the 70s so growing up I’d hear those stories and comparing them to now it’s amazing how little has changed internally there.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Nystral posted:

Thank GIP current events thread. They’re good at distilling things down and making sure it’s not 100% US-focused all the time. Family members of mine lived in KSA back in the 70s so growing up I’d hear those stories and comparing them to now it’s amazing how little has changed internally there.

My buddy's fiancee just got back to the USA from a couple years in Saudi (she was born on the US, grew up there, did grad school in the US) and apparently things are changing quickly (comparatively). The younger people strongly support MBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nystral posted:

it’s amazing how little has changed internally there.

When the world depends on you being stable to keep the money flowing and the politics stable (relatively), there's little incentive to get all up in your business.