Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

holy poo poo that’s a great price. I have this monitor. the actual screen is great. the stand is wonky because lol LG. I might buy a second one now.

also, it ONLY has TB/usb c ports on it. do not buy unless you have a touchbar MacBook and you’re living the usb c lifestyle.

does it no longer explode in the presence of wifi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

does it no longer explode in the presence of wifi?

the new ones don’t. I don’t know about these

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its on woot its probably the ones that don't like wifi

pram
Jun 10, 2001
reconditioned :thunk:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
that's 600 for the monitor and 20 for the tin foil you have to wrap around it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

syscall girl posted:

remember where you are
lol

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
xcode please respond

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

how come there’s LTE on the Apple Watch but not on the MacBook Pro, Apple?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

computer toucher posted:

how come there’s LTE on the Apple Watch but not on the MacBook Pro, Apple?

because you should pair your computer to your watch, dummy

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

where's the 6-core Mac mini with decent cooling, tim?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what a hosed up way to spell "new SE phone"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

nobody at Apple management gives a poo poo about the Mac mini. they can’t make a high performance one with a big enough margin and yet a price even Apple customers wouldn’t barf at, so they just let it stagnate.

the Apple TV 4K is a more powerful computer than the mini. it should replace it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the whole "anyone who wants a desktop mac should buy a imac" argument is balls, I mean I get it they probably make $600-1000 on every 5k imac but at some point intel is going to stop making 2013 haswells and some people have to do non-apple-ey edge cases like want to use more than one computer with a single monitor

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the imac is more than enough for anything an osx user would need.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

the ipad is more than enough for anything an osx user would need.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

nobody at Apple management gives a poo poo about the Mac mini. they can’t make a high performance one with a big enough margin and yet a price even Apple customers wouldn’t barf at, so they just let it stagnate.

the Apple TV 4K is a more powerful computer than the mini. it should replace it.

make the apple tv compile ios code and maybe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

true

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only reason mac mini exists is for xamarin build nodes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nuapple: ui consistency is for chumps

discoverability? never heard of it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
me: siri, what is the most boring imaginable article about apple?

siri: https://9to5mac.com/2018/04/04/apple-former-retail-stores-today/

a complete photo tour of every single apple store that has closed or relocated, complete with before and after pictures

all 86 of them

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Management posted:

the 2012 mac mini with i7 is good but if you try to use the processor it'll melt through the floor

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

cis autodrag posted:

I luv to watch all my coworkers lift their arms to their faces in perfect unison every time an all department email goes out. You wouldn't catch me dead in a dorkwatch

Why would you subject yourself to work email like that if you are not freelance or C-level?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MrMoo posted:

Why would you subject yourself to work email like that if you are not freelance or C-level?

Some people's identity are just foreverially tiedup in their jobs. I don't get it either.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

I luv to watch all my coworkers lift their arms to their faces in perfect unison every time an all department email goes out. You wouldn't catch me dead in a dorkwatch

its the most obnoxious poo poo in the world when they do it while ur talking to them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

its the most obnoxious poo poo in the world when they do it while ur talking to them.

I'm used to techies not listening to me talk. I'm a woman.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
no new mac pro until 2019

why is apple so bad at making computers now?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

no new mac pro until 2019

why is apple so bad at making computers now?

my guess is tim's afraid of poaching imac/laptop revenue with an actually good desktop machine

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

qirex posted:

my guess is tim's afraid of poaching imac/laptop revenue with an actually good desktop machine

but he’s not making good laptops either, anymore

what the gently caress timb!!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

it is a self perpetuating cycle. people only buy iMacs because they’re they only good desktops Apple makes. therefore updating iMacs is a top priority. others languish because nobody is buying them, which leads to nobody buying them.

I think they finally understand why the Mac Pro was such a failure, but it remains to be seen if they can apply those lessons to make a good one.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
was the trash pro a failure? it seems like it would have been a high margin product even if sales aren't incredible which i'd mark as a success.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

was the trash pro a failure? it seems like it would have been a high margin product even if sales aren't incredible which i'd mark as a success.

I have no insight into the numbers or financials, but it is very obviously a failure. high margin doesn’t justify the r&d costs to make it, which is evident by the fact that it was never really updated. successful products don’t get ignored.

they hosed up by making a machine no one except jony wanted. engineering knew this the whole time. no upgradable storage. limited ram slots. no pci slots. tiny, who cares. second gpu nobody asked for. overpriced without any useful aspects of a pro machine.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Management posted:

it is a self perpetuating cycle. people only buy iMacs because they’re they only good desktops Apple makes. therefore updating iMacs is a top priority. others languish because nobody is buying them, which leads to nobody buying them.

I think they finally understand why the Mac Pro was such a failure, but it remains to be seen if they can apply those lessons to make a good one.

the more you actually need to use on your computer the less tolerable it is for it to be impossible to upgrade or expand.

for consumer electronics it is fine to have no upgradability. no one wants to take apart and upgrade an ipad or iphone because portability, convenience and simplicity are the main selling points
for a laptop that's a little less true, i do fine using a touchbar macbook pro for work but that's because all my actual work happens through a VNC to a real computer the laptop is only for emails
if i was doing a job that required an actual desktop that could do work, i'd be super turned off by something that is thermally limited and not upgradable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/apples-2019-imac-pro-will-be-shaped-by-workflows/

some more details re: 2019 mac pro

according to article it sounds like they're actually trying to understand customer needs instead of making it the other way around where they decide what's a good idea then force everyone into it

The Management posted:

if they were smart (they're not) they'd just make the first A1X based Macs the Minis. Then if they sell enough move on to MacBooks, Pros, up the line..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 5, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

I have no insight into the numbers or financials, but it is very obviously a failure. high margin doesn’t justify the r&d costs to make it, which is evident by the fact that it was never really updated. successful products don’t get ignored.

they hosed up by making a machine no one except jony wanted. engineering knew this the whole time. no upgradable storage. limited ram slots. no pci slots. tiny, who cares. second gpu nobody asked for. overpriced without any useful aspects of a pro machine.

theres no market for an actual "professional" osx device. people doing real pro work run windows and they buy commodity hardware from dell or hp that they swap on a regular basis. if anything maybe apple overestimated the prosumer market for which the trash pro was extremely appropriate.

the imac pro is 100% its successor so theres no reason for a separate "mac" pro

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
posting from my the new iPad

it seems fine

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shaggar posted:

theres no market for an actual "professional" osx device. people doing real pro work run windows and they buy commodity hardware from dell or hp that they swap on a regular basis. if anything maybe apple overestimated the prosumer market for which the trash pro was extremely appropriate.

the imac pro is 100% its successor so theres no reason for a separate "mac" pro

lmao windows.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"workflows"

they have no loving idea what they're doing and they're going to make another ridiculous loving abomination that no one wants because it's a bajillion modular components like some eldritch dongle-horror

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

quote:

basically that Apple had painted itself into an architecture corner by being aggressively original on the design
lmao

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
windows is what i run on any computer where i want it to spend 20 minutes each day rebooting and logging in over and over again to install software updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

lmao windows.

windows 10 is Real Good and shaggar was right that people doing Actual Work do it from windows.

come and watch some of my students try to use SolidWorks on a macbook, with no physical escape key or forward-delete key, through parallels, with the trackpad that doesn't middle-click and which scrolls in a hosed up manner, and see how long you last