Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Alopex posted:

That's every single adult Umineko

Not an emptyquote. (Although, if Petra is talking about the character I think they are, I have to admit that literally every other adult character, with the exception of, say one or two, managed to illicit genuine sympathy from me despite a total lack of sugarcoating or justification for the evil they committed, even by the end. That is a gift of storytelling/characterization that this author shares, if not exactly to the same degree, as even though we have seen monstrous, cruel actions by some characters, I still feel a measure of sympathy for them- Nellie, Jacopo, even Yukimasa, god help me. I wonder if even Maria might make me feel genuine feelings by the end.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Murk

This continued for several months. Though outside, the sun shone with the gentle warmth of spring, the cold, bitter winds of winter still relentlessly blew between Jacopo and his wife. Not allowed to leave her shed and never receiving a reply to her letters, the White-Haired Girl’s only source of information was Maria. Week after week, her circumstances remained the same, but something else was beginning to show signs of change: Her mental state.

I saw him throw your letter into the fireplace.
He’s not going to read anything you write, no matter how much of your soul you pour into it.
He cares more about money and work than love. That’s the kind of man he is.
Just give up and file for divorce already.
No... No...
I will get through to him... Everything will go back to normal... I have faith.
All my letters may go up in flames... but my faith will not be lost with them.
As long as I keep writing...
eventually... I will get through to him. So I cannot stop... I cannot.
Do you have any idea what he says about you, Madam?
Jacopo doesn’t trust you in the slightest. He goes around calling you a witch. A man-eating devil-woman.
It’s awful. There’s no one as pure and as beautiful as you.
He says... I am a witch?

He just wanted the influence attached to your name. Wanted to mingle with the upper class.
He used you.
But last year... when we went out together...
he gave me the phenakis wheel at the photography shop... He had the owner make it especially for me...
He was just trying to win your favor. If he really cared for you, he wouldn’t have gotten you a paper toy.
He would have gotten you something like a ring, or a necklace, or some perfume, a nice dress. Something women really like.
Has he ever given you anything like that?
I...
He...
...He doesn’t... have any feelings for me...?
Ahh, I’m sorry! I just couldn’t stand to see you going through this, but I don’t know when to shut my fat trap. I went too far.
The last thing I need to be doing is hurting you worse...
Y’know, for everything I’ve said... your unwavering dedication is really impressive, Madam.

Despite knowing you staying with him is just causing you pain.
You’ve made it this far. I’d like to see you make it all the way. Maybe he actually will/ start paying attention.
Your sweetness can melt even his heart of steel!
Yes... Yes, you’re right...
I... will keep waiting. Keep writing... And I will not divorce him...
Yeah, all right.
So please... keep delivering my letters... to him...
You are my only remaining connection to the outside world...
Oh, yes, one more thing... If it is not too much trouble, could you tell me how he has been and what he has been doing lately? I do not have much else to write about...
So if I could at least relieve him of some of his work-related stress...
I am his wife, after all... I should be able to do that much for him...
I am his wife...

Her “dedication” to him was perhaps closer to an obsession. But she did not seem to be conscientious of the fact that her obsession was killing her. She was visibly losing weight, and her spirit was breaking down. It is said that emotions fade with time, but the opposite can also be true. The act of waiting, of fervently believing for so many months despite the object of one’s affections not returning them... can tear apart a person’s heart, crush their soul, shatter their spirit. No matter how radiant, how thick-skinned they may be.

With enough time, it will wear anyone down. No one is immune.

If she’s going to be writing letters, she could at least write one for you. She looks so pure, pretty as an angel...
but God Almighty, is it only how she looks.
...You’ve changed a bit.
...What? Have I?
The old you would be yelling and screaming, chomping at the bit to go storming in on the madam.
Now you just... go quiet.
...I’m just... a little tired...
You could break it off, then?
What?
You’ve already made a name for yourself in high society. Nobody’s gonna suddenly start ignoring you.
You’ve more than put her family name to good use. To put it in your own words, it’s no longer necessary.
This isn’t something I really want to say...

She was married off to a total stranger and forced to leave her home.
I’m sure she felt very alone. And so she sought the companionship of other men.
Anyone who wasn’t you probably seemed quite attractive to her.
So, without getting violent or threatening to kill her or anything...
just end it already. Quietly and without a fuss. It’ll be easier for you that way.
I...
I cannot.
Because you still love her?
That’s wonderful, Jacopo. After everything, you still love her.
That’s just blind, slavish devotion at this point.
Perhaps it is a foolish, unhealthy obsession... but I still do not wish to sever ties with her.
I cannot get the image of her smile out of my head...
The look of utter elation on her face as she looked through the phenakistoscope...
Those captivating eyes beneath the veil at our wedding...
I will never, for as long as I live, forget those sights.
Color me surprised. You’re a sentimental one.
Well, I guess you always have been kind of mushy, haven’t you? True to your heart, despite how you may look. That’s not a bad thing, though, in my book.
There’s nothing but pain in it for you now, but all you can do is wait until she stops writing.
But don’t worry. If you need to let off some steam, I’m all ears! I’ll be here for you until she breaks it off with the other men.

What?
I know very well... that things cannot continue on as they are forever.
I knew it from the beginning, and still couldn’t do anything.
This time, I’m planning on facing her myself.
You serious, Jacopo?
Yes. I’ve relied on you for too long. I was afraid of what I might do to her.
I didn’t want anyone to find out that... my wife was being unfaithful...
And I thought the best way to ensure that... was by locking her up away from anyone else.
But the situation is not going to improve unless I do something.
If I allow things to continue as they are, sooner or later word of her infidelity will leak. So before that happens, I must face her myself...
I must do something.
I-It’s probably best if you didn’t. I’ll tell her anything you want, make sure things start improving.
I appreciate everything you’ve done. And I apologize for getting you involved in our troubles.
But I’m going to end it now. No... I must put an end to it. This is a problem between me and her.
You might get violent again if you go see her face-to-face.
Yes, I might... I might do something that would look rather bad for me.
But it’s reached a point where, until the two of us face up to each other, it’s never going to go away.
...It took me far too long.
I wasted too much time trying to find my resolve...
I... see...

You’ll need a way to break the ice, then.
Break the ice?
Right. If you’ve got some convenient excuse to talk to her, it’ll reduce some tension and make it easier to bring up what you need to bring up, right?
Here’s an idea! That transcontinental railroad you’ve been funding! That’s supposed to be opening up pretty soon, isn’t it?
Y-Yes... it is...
There’ll be a message by telegraph when it happens, right? You can ask her to be there to hear it. And then you can invite her to ride the first train.
You’ve put your heart and soul into this project, and it’s finally being realized. It’s going to be an amazing day for you, and a day like that’s ripe for more good things to happen.
It’s going to be the accomplishment of a lifetime! Don’t look so down in the dumps!
You’re sending trains across this massive continent, carrying on them the people of this country’s dreams.
Who says you can’t stick a dream of your own on it too?
...Right... Yes, you have a point. A railroad that spans from coast to coast...
She’s a sickly girl, which makes long trips difficult...
but this new rail system should make them much less straining.
It would allow me to show her the world.
Yeah, yeah, that’s perfect! I’m getting excited myself! It’ll go great, I’m sure of it.
Yeah...

BGM: Bianco o Nero

Seriously, they’re a goddamn riot — the both of ’em! They keep on trusting me, and keep on getting hurt!
They don’t have to be going through any of this!
Ahh, my god, Maria, you’re terrible. And these people call me the Holy Mother. I bet the real Mary’s rolling in her loving grave!
Hahah...
Now.
I must say, I wasn’t expecting you to make a move, Jacopo.
A shame, that. The squirming loser, paralyzed by insecurity, is a better role for you.
If they do end up figuring it out, tough poo poo. Doesn’t hurt anything, just takes away a bit of my fun.
...I don’t understand why he’s so infatuated with this railroad. I mean, I do sort of get romanticizing steel, but...
my kinda steel’s a little... smaller scale. Anyway. I suppose it’s about time to get things moving.
Hehe...
(No matter how this plays out, you will not have a happy ending, Jacopo.)
(You’re going to get a real taste of just how much I despise you.)

...Tch. What is it? I’m on break right now.
You were assigned to clean the cellar today, weren’t you?! Well, head maid’s saying it hasn’t been done yet!
Whaaaat? I did. I cleaned it.
(Just a casual once-over, but hey.)
Well, do it again — and do it right this time! ’Cause if you don’t, it’s gonna fall on me!
(And that’s supposed to make me give a drat?)
I mean it! You take care of it! You get enough special treatment as it is!
Yeah, yeah, right, right! I heard ya the first time! I’ll care of it!
And don’t you forget it! Oh, for god’s sake. Why should I have to be the one to tell her?
...Is she gone?
Ugh, what a pain. Who cares if the drat cellar is clean?
Not like anyone’s bringing guests down there. Yeesh.
(...I guess I should take care of it. Better that than a tongue-lashing by the head maid.)
God, why did I have to be a maid, anyway?

Ugh, it’s so dark and humid down here. Makes me feel gross.
Haaaah...

Someone there?
...Hello?
Helloooo, is anyone in there?
It came from farther in.
Whoa... It’s seriously dusty back here...
Who was supposed to clean this last week? Well, clean the whole thing next time, dammit. Just makes my job harder.
Cough! Cough! Disgusting... Grah! drat cobwebs!
Oh god... Oh dear god... I do not want to clean this...
— ?!
Oww! O-Oh for god’s sake, stack this stuff properly! Now I’ve gotta fix this whole mess...
Hahhh, for the love of... Hmm?
What’s this? Something... carved into the floor. Never noticed this before...
Someone get bored one day? Hmm... what do we have here...? Bah, it’s mostly illegible.
Let’s see...
(It’s not written in English... but my native language...)
(But it’s not modern... It’s really archaic...)
(Why on earth would an old form of my country’s language be carved into the floor of a mansion built here in the New World?)
(Most of it’s illegible... but I can make out one section...)
“Our lives”...

BGM: La Realtà Nella Nebbia

Nevertheless,
we must lay bare those with sin upon their souls, for the redemption of those whom are pure.
Should ye mean not to dispel your curse,
we implore of you, O Witch,
to mark with it only their bloodlines.
The blood of the sinners
flows through those who dwelt within this house.
But not I...

That’s crazy.
(But why... does the handwriting...)
(look like mine...?)
It’s just coincidentally similar. No one’s handwriting is perfectly unique, after all.
(Why am I so sweaty...? It’s not that hot down here...)
Aaaah, nope! Forget it! Didn’t see a thing! Not a chance it’s real! Just a tasteless prank.
This is silly.
...Hmm? There’s something... in this box...
(Is that a painting? Has that always been here?)
...Huh?

(But then... why is the face... all torn up?)
(And her clothes... look really old-fashioned...)
(The painting seems worn and faded too... Something about it... feels off.)
(I’m not sure how to describe it. It’s very...)
(creepy. Unsettling.)
(The writing on the floor... and this painting... What is with this house?)
It’s just a painting. Nothing to get weirded out over.
...Ahhhh.
I bet I know what happened. Jacopo probably slashed it up in a fit of jealousy.
He is a simple man.
Seeing this probably wouldn’t put him in the best mood.
...Hahaha.

...? What was that...? Um, is someone there?
The door...
is open?
Nobody’s there...
What’s this...? A painting?
Who could have left it here?
— !

Why — But — M-My face... it’s been cut...
N-No!
Wh-Why... would someone have this painted... just to do this...?
Who would... Who would do such a thing?!

“Like a demon.”
“Your very presence brings misfortune upon others.”
“You’re — ”
“ — cursed.”

I — I-I — I am not — !
W — Was it you... Jacopo? Did you... Did you have this painted... so you...
could destroy it?
Do you really... despise me to that extent? Why... Why do you...
What... What did I ever do... to make you hate me so?
Why... Why?! Ah, ahh... aaaah...
I — I-I-I — All I am doing...
is waiting... for you...

This house has no need of a garden.
I always thought you had at least some sense of taste!
Silence! It’s all your fault! Every last thing!
...then say goodbye to your freedom!
I’ll kill you!

Does my mere presence... pervert you?
Would it be better... if I were gone?
Would it... be better if I left... this mansion...?
If I left you?
I don’t think... I can wait... much longer... There’s no end... in sight...
I can’t... take it... any...
There is... no end...
...No...
I will... set a deadline... for when I give up waiting...
When the project you pour your heart and soul into is complete...
When the railroad opens... I will be finished waiting...
And then it’s over...

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 6, 2018

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I feel bad for both of them but otoh only one of them is locked in a garden shed going slowly insane. Jacopo just visit her you fool, when was the last time he spoke to her without Maria in the wings like an evil Cyrano.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

That day was, coincidentally, the deadline the two of them had set for themselves — Jacopo to confront his wife, and the White-Haired Girl to wait for him. And as that day approached, she continued to write letters. She wrote the letters purely by force of habit, despite having been worn visibly thin. I expect that she could not stop — that the act of writing was all that kept her from going mad. By focusing her attention on another person through her letters, she was able to maintain her grip on herself. But that day would put an end to her suffering and despair. When the railroad was completed, all their misunderstandings would be cleared up. They would return to the smiling, happy couple they had been when they were first married. The harsh winter would finally come to a close, melting away into the past and allowing them to step into the future.

With constant prayer in my heart, I impatiently awaited the railroad’s opening ceremony. I do not, after all, wish for anyone to fall into any kind of misfortune... And that goes for you as well, Master.

Now, Master... The door is soon to be shut upon this era. Are you prepared to see what happens next? I see. Very well. Then allow us to make our way to that final day. See with your own eyes, Master, how this tale concludes. And please... do not let go of my hand.

BGM: Murk

The night before the opening ceremony, the master of the house headed for his wife’s shed. There was a tension on his face, but a surety in his step. He had found the resolve to speak with her. Having locked her away for so long in the shed like a common prisoner, Jacopo was hardly optimistic about what she might say to him. He had undeniably mistreated her, said heartless and cruel things to her, and even gotten physically violent with her. His actions were inexcusable, even if they were in response to her infidelity.

Of course, the very infidelity which had driven him to such behavior had not, in fact, taken place, but he was unaware of that. There was a chance they would never reconcile their misunderstandings, and that this predicament would not have a positive resolution, but he still clung to a tiny fragment of hope. He wanted to start over with the White-Haired Girl, to make a new future with her. With that desire burning strong in his heart, he stood before the door to her shed and called out to her.

I won’t hurt you. I will not raise my hand against you again. I swear to you, I will do you no harm.
I just... wish to speak. I would like to have a calm, rational conversation.
And as such... I will not enter your room until you have given me your permission.
So may I please come in?
You... won’t even give me a response? All right...
Considering how you must feel about me, I shouldn’t be surprised.
Fine, then you don’t have to let me in. But please at least hear me out.
...Do you remember the day, shortly after we first met, when we went on our honeymoon — if you can even call the little walk we took a “honeymoon”?
I was unable to do anything nice for you then either.
I had no experience, no idea how to interact with an upper-class woman like you.
I didn’t know what I should do for you. And yes, I know, that makes me sound juvenile.
I have a tendency to say things I don’t mean the more perturbed I get.
I’m sure I said things to hurt you numerous times that day.
However, at the photography shop, when you saw the phenakistoscope, you smiled for me.
I was... I was genuinely pleased in that moment.
I felt like I had gotten closer to you.
I very much doubt that was actually an appropriate present for a noblewoman like yourself.
Jewels or flowers or something like that — something beautiful — would have certainly suited you better.
And I knew that, but I assumed you would have been given gifts like that countless times in the past.
You are, after all, a beautiful woman. I did not want to have to compete on the same field as those other men.
I wanted to be special — No, I wanted to be unique to you.
No one had ever shown you anything of the sort before, had they?
Frankly, I wasn’t sure if a woman of your status would take any interest in a phenakistoscope at all.
I imagine you’ve thrown it out by now, but I choose to believe you sincerely liked it on that day.
That... if just for a moment... I caught your eye. Even if you started seeing other men afterwards, that moment was real, wasn’t it?
Our marriage was, at its core, nothing but an arrangement between our parents — an exchange of money and influence. That was how it began, but...
but that day, I...

I yearned to see you smile, as if I had loved you my entire life.
The Pacific Railroad has finally been completed. That’s the project I’ve been funding.
Everyone thought it was crazy, but a railroad now stretches across the breadth of this country.
A joining ceremony will be held tomorrow. It’s going to be a grand event. Locally, they’re planning on doing a gun salute.
And the sound of the last spike being driven into the ground will be transmitted across the country via telegraph.
I have procured a telegraph, so we can listen to it here in the mansion.
In your condition, you would probably have trouble handling the crowds at the telegraph station.
But here, you could celebrate in the comfort of your own home. I suppose what I’m saying is...
I want to celebrate this with you.
I have made arrangements to make that possible for you, because I wish to have you there, with me.
Would you be willing... tomorrow... to celebrate the completion of the Pacific Railroad with me?
Would you be there at my side?
  — ! Please... say something!
I want to start over! I know very well what I’ve done to you!
You may be at fault yourself, but what I did is unacceptable! But...
But what I did... was a consequence of my overpowering love for you. I swear it!
Why?! Why will you not answer me?! Say something — anything!
Please...! Please!
You can hear me in there, can’t you?! If you don’t want to, you can just say no!
If you do reject me... I’ll set you free!
I won’t hurt you... I promise!
  — ?!
The door... is not locked?
Who opened it?
...Hello?

The White-Haired Girl was not in her room.

Where... Where have you gone?

Stupefied, he glanced about his wife’s chambers. To my eyes, the neatly organized room appeared no different than any other day.
But to his eyes, it was pale and hollow. For the one who was supposed to be there — who was supposed to be waiting for him — was not present. He could not hear her voice from anywhere in the shed. In its place echoed a dry rustling. A sad, pitiful, empty whisper of a noise. It came from the lone object left abandoned atop her desk.

The phena...kistoscope...

When spun and viewed in a mirror, it created the illusion of a man and woman dancing.

You... You still had this? That’s ridiculous... I assumed you had thrown it out...

The White-Haired Girl had evidently made considerable use of the phenakistoscope. The paper was visibly worn and tattered, warped in places, and had even begun to yellow. It spun slowly in the wind — rustling, and rustling, and rustling. Spinning in an endless reminder of that day the year before, though there was no longer anyone around to look through it.

Why — But I — You were... with other men... Why would you keep something I gave you...?
It’s so... so worn...
Why...?
...A letter...

Beneath the ever-rotating phenakistoscope lay a single sheet of paper. As if drawn to it, he scanned the contents of the parchment. It was a letter addressed to:

“Caro mio Jacopo.” The salutation, written in his native language, translated as follows:

BGM: None

I wish  I could have . . . been there to  see it. I’m sure it would   have been quite pleasant .. ... like the day   you gave me  the Phenakis wheel. am I being  presum ptuous? I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry
I thought I  would keep  waiting for   You,  forever.. . no matter  how much   you hat ed or ignored me but I   made up my   Mind, so ... I’m sorry...
I  decided I would  wait for you    until the rail Road  was   completed I foolishly    thought    that you might  invite me to  the opening  Ceremony... but it  seems i am   not good enough... for you. I am going   to take my lea ve   of your house so you neednt  concern your self  with me  anylonger.
However... I do have... one request. Please  do not forget... about all the letters... I wrote... think back on them   from time  to time do not burn them all      for they contain
my thoughts
 my feelings
  my words
   a record of   my love for you
remember ...when you can. .. that I was   always watching   You...

i’m sorry   this was all I was able to  write for   you. I’m truly sorr y.
I will leave the phenakis wheel behind. it was my . .. dearest   treasure...
Farewell,
I loved you.                        5/8/1869

What... the hell is this?!

He was visibly rattled. And unsurprisingly so. The mention of the transcontinental railroad’s opening ceremony, the letters she had written, her “dearest treasure,” her profession of love for him... and above all, the mangled text that appeared to have been written by someone not entirely in their right mind. Everything about it served to amplify his befuddlement.

You... waited for me?
How can that be?! The joining ceremony is tomorrow! It hasn’t happened yet!
Why — Why did you have to leave, then?! I’m here! I came for you! Just as I planned!
The ceremony is on the tenth!

Originally, the ceremony was planned to be held on May 8th, 1869. However... due to bad weather and a labor dispute, it had been postponed for two days.

This can’t be... I made sure you were informed. I had Maria —
...Maria...

Maria... No, you couldn’t —

Scattered fragments of memory began coming together in his mind. Maria was the only one who had informed him of his wife’s supposed unfaithfulness. And though the letters had not been addressed to him... thinking back on it, they had all been about him. In one letter, she had mentioned “treasuring” a gift. Jacopo had assumed it meant a gift from another man... but in fact, she had been referring to the phenakistoscope sitting atop her desk, still spinning in the wind.

At long... long last, he finally made that connection. And at the same time, he realized that the only person who could have altered the letters was someone they both trusted — Maria.

She was not unfaithful at all...
She waited... unwaveringly... for me...
And I — I — I...!
I refused to believe her!
I caused her pain... again and again!

But his realizations came far too late. The White-Haired Girl’s spirit had broken, and she was no longer at the mansion. Had he caught on to Maria’s machinations sooner, things would not have turned out as they had. But he was much too late.

Maria — ! Why?! Why would you do this?!

Clenching the letter from his wife, Jacopo stormed out of the shed in search of Maria.

Where are you?! Where have you gone?!
MARIAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Several maids were roused from their slumber by the racket, but no one had the courage to speak up as the master of the house frantically charged through the halls. Eventually, he arrived at his own chamber. He was certain he had closed the door before leaving, but now a sliver of light shone through the gap between it and the frame. From within the room, he thought he could sense someone’s presence.

When he opened the door, there he saw, comfortably perched upon his own chair... a woman.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 6, 2018

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

This is my favorite VN. I was in the process of rereading it, but fell off, and this seems like a good way to go through it again. Great to see everyone's reactions to stuff, and thanks to ProfessorProf for doing this.

Also, gently caress Jacopo.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Sacrificial Toast posted:

This is my favorite VN. I was in the process of rereading it, but fell off, and this seems like a good way to go through it again. Great to see everyone's reactions to stuff, and thanks to ProfessorProf for doing this.

Also, gently caress Jacopo.
Agreed, but also gently caress Maria more.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Jacopo only ever gave her one gift in their entire relationship lol. This entire thing was a mutual obsession due to lacking better options to attach to and as a defense mechanism to preserve sanity, hardly love of any meaningful kind. I can believe WHGs side more than Jacopos though, it sounds like he was at the same time both obsessed with trying to please and be with WHG, yet also doing absolutely nothing to actually do so throughout all this time.

Maria is going straight into the fire atleast, all her scheming and lies have piled up to the point where collapse is inevitable.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I wonder what Maria gets from all of this. Did she do it just to satisfy her grudge against Jacopo? Did she tell the cosca all about what was going on behind his back so she could stage a coup d'etat?

And what was with the writing in the basement, and the handwriting matching Maria's? I didn't think she had anything to do with supernatural mansion shenanigans, that it was just WHG and the Maid who were possibly doomed to be there forever. And the painting... at first I thought it was a relic from Mel and Nell's time, but there wasn't any mention of a painting of WHG in that chapter.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

And suddenly that name... will never be the same...

Maria's out for vengeance, but she definitely has a sadistic side to her as well. She almost seems to be enjoying that more than the actual revenge.

witchcore ricepunk posted:

And the painting... at first I thought it was a relic from Mel and Nell's time, but there wasn't any mention of a painting of WHG in that chapter.

I don't know if it's a clue or not, but do we actually know that isn't WHG's face in the painting?

quote:

then you will probably not be able to take her in as your own.
I will be punished, and my life made miserable.
And so I pray that this child might have flaxen hair.

That might mean he painted it the way he wanted it to be. It also requires something of a coincidence for the face from his imagination to match, but then she seems to come back in various forms, or there's just a curiously strong family resemblance.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I'm just surprised he figured it out so fast with all this evidence staring him in the face. Well done, Sherlock. He'd better hope Maria shoots him because otherwise he's going to have the rest of his life to reflect on what a complete fool he was.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Alopex posted:

I'm just surprised he figured it out so fast with all this evidence staring him in the face. Well done, Sherlock. He'd better hope Maria shoots him because otherwise he's going to have the rest of his life to reflect on what a complete fool he was.

That's not true, he might get shanked by a stranger again! Though upon reflection that doesn't contradict what you said.

Double Plus Undead fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 6, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
What a useless man.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

The only guy who isn't a useless man in this series so far is the one who is instead a useless beast.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The main themes of this game so far are "men are useless" and "WHG exists to suffer". :v:

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Like Clockwork posted:

The main themes of this game so far are "men are useless" and "WHG exists to suffer". :v:

One is a unfortunate generalisation, the other is awfully specific.

Maybe "white-haired girl(s) exist to suffer?
Do WHGs exist as an entity instead of a single person in this world? Is it the same "soul" reincarnating or has this worlds timeline a special quota for WHGs to function for people to manipulate and walk over?
Maybe the mansion is some eldritch "fortune engine"which provides the owner with some great destiny. But it runs only on WHGs.

(Don't worry. I am not entirely serious.)

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 5, 2018

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Forms are fixed, and so are the last four LP posts.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

You know, I don't think the author of this is any worse than the author of Umineko at creating emotionally compelling characters, it's just that in Umineko you get to spend a lot of time with all those assholes, and in Fata Morgana there seems to be a fresh new batch a chapter. Plus the level of slow build you can do when you're focusing on one family for the entire thing is different than with the pacing in Fata Morgana.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

:siren:Video: Maria:siren:

All these fancy furnishings. You do know this stuff’s too good for you, right?
And then me, I get that barren little maid’s room. Drives me up the wall.
So hey... Jacopo.

BGM: Dirà "Minchia!"

...Maria!
Ahahaha... I love that look on your face! I’m guessing you didn’t make things better, then?
You know... good and well! That she’s not even here anymore!
Well, yeah, but I still wanna hear you say it, y’know?
I wanna hear from your own mouth that you couldn’t keep a leash on your woman, so you locked her up, drove her mad, broke her down, and then she ran away from you!
— !
Pffft, baha, hahahaha... Go on, say something. Climb back on your high horse and start shouting like you always do!
Why, Maria...? Why would you do this?!
Whyyyyyyyy? Why do you think?
Because I loving despise you!
— !
I’d been trying to figure out how I wanted to end things, but then they just fell apart on their own! The fates are smiling down upon me, I guess.
Nonsense! She was waiting for me! Until the day of the joining ceremony!
And I was going to see her on that day! You knew the ceremony had been postponed!
That’s what you get for putting it all in my hands. For thinking I’m the only one on your side!

I mean, talk about some fantastic news. You both pick the same day, but you’ve got the dates different!
Absolutely perfect!
Maria... is that...
how you’ve always felt?
How long... have you held this grudge against me?!
How long? How long? Ahahahahahaha!
How goddamn dense can you be?!
— !
Must be nice, living in your little fantasy world, Jacopo! And this is the next capofamiglia? Ahaha! Oh my god, my sides!
So you’ve... always hated me?
At the very least...

At first, I did try to convince myself you had your reasons.
Didn’t make it feel any less unfair, though. You had all your money and all your power and everything else you stole from me...
and then you go and get hitched to this pretty little lady!
Oh, don’t try to act like you’re the victim here. This is aaaall on you. Do you have any idea how I felt?
Fallen from grace, made your goddamn maid, having to suck up to you. Do you have any idea how infuriating that was?!
Or did you think I didn’t know anything? Did you think I didn’t suspect anything?
If you did, then you’ve got your head waaaay up in the clouds!
So you were motivated by...
your grudge against my family, the Bearzattis?
Precisely. That’s exactly it.
Your father wanted so badly to be the capofamiglia, wanted so badly to be in power...

They say it was a carriage accident. But the ground was all torn to hell where it happened.
You wanna tell me what kind of a carriage accident causes it to explode?
As soon as my dad and grandpa died, your dad took over as capofamiglia.
The balance of power in the factions began to change. My family, and anyone with ties to the Campanellas, was either exterminated or exiled.
The Bearzattis took control of the city.
My grandpa’s cosca became your cosca.
No one in their right mind would be naïve enough to think the Bearzattis didn’t have a hand in that.
The great Campanella family, bitten by their pet dog.
Except the dog had rabies.
And as a result, in time, that lush, historic land will wither away and die.
My dad and grandpa, buried in that dried-up earth, are screaming in their graves even now.
You can’t prove me wrong — can you, Jacopo?
And now, first in line to be the next capofamiglia is you, his son. Naturally.
Feels pretty good, don’t it? Slaughtering my family —
leaving us to wallow in the mud —
while you live here like a loving king!
Because of what your family did, I don’t have a home to go back to anymore! No house, no prestige — I have nothing left!
And that’s goddamn outrageous! The Campanellas are supposed to run that city! But instead —
you filthy Bearzatti curs are crawling over it like some kind of infestation!
I am a legitimate Campanella —
but I’m stuck being your goddamn maid!

But because I’m a woman! I couldn’t retaliate! I just had to sit on my hands and watch the tragedy unfold! It was absolutely miserable!
So I had to make you suffer as well.
I had to make you as — No, I had to make you twice as miserable as I was.
You had no reason to hate anyone but me... Why did you... make her a part of this?
Did you have some grudge against her too?
Not particularly. I actually rather liked the madam. Sweet, pretty, kindhearted, timid — and fragile.
Trusted every word I said. A splendid little toy.
You thought of her... as your toy?
Now, now — can you really call me out for that? You can’t. You have no right.
You never cared one bit about anyone else. They’re all footstools to you.
It’s a little too late to find yourself a sense of morality!
This whole thing — it could have been avoided if you two just had a single conversation.
But instead, the both of you come crawling to me, saying “you’re my only ally, Maria.” How dense can you be?!
Of course... I thought you were my ally. I trusted you... as I’m sure she did too...
Then you should get your eyes examined, because you can’t see a drat thing.
...Maria.
Ahaha... My god, it was beautiful.
The way you two blindly trusted me, creating your own misunderstandings and causing your own pain — how you could never seem to get on the same page.
Watching it all fall apart...
...Maria.
Is that everything? The extent of your grudge, and all you did?
Ah, yep. That’s everything. All that’s left —
is for me to kill you!
— !

Maria, you — !
Does our past mean nothing to you?! Was that oath just an empty promise?!
How could it, when you remember so clearly?!
Fine, I’ll explain it for our little romantic boy.
Bad grownups will even take advantage of good memories!
— !
It’s time I finally returned this to you, Jacopo!
That cartridge you gave me, packed with your disgusting sentimentality!

Hahhhh, hahaha, bahahahahahahahahaha!
Killing you ain’t the end, though. All you Bearzatti curs...
I’ll send every last one of you straight to Hell!
My revenge has just begun!
Pfft, ahaha, bahaha, fffft, ahaha, aha, AHAHAHAHAHA!
AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
...E...ven... if...
Even if you had been a man, you wouldn’t have been a suitable capofamiglia...
— !

JACOPO!

...ahh... Wh...y...?

In a panic, I pulled the trigger, and from the barrel, a bullet went flying — quite literally right between her eyes.

BGM: The Past

The rain just keeps on coming...
Wonder if we’ll be able to go home today...
HEY, JACOPINO! Say something, you little wuss!
B-Be quiet... You’re gonna give me a headache!
The lightning’s way louder than me!
Eek!
Ack!
H-Hahaaah, you jumped, Jacopino! You’re such a baby!
You jumped too! And stop calling me that!
Don’t be scaaaared. Don’t cwyyyy.
I am not crying! Your eyes are damp too!
I’m not crying! Not at all! Not one bit!
Liar!
Ahaha...
...There’s no end to this rain, is there?
I’m fine... if it doesn’t stop... There’s nothing at home for me...
You don’t wanna go home?
...Your parents don’t get along, huh?
That’s... got nothing to do with it...
Liar.
You’ve got it good. Everyone loves your grandpa... Whenever anyone needs something, they come to him.
Now there’s a great man...

Oh... no reason...
Not everyone likes him. He gets just as much hate as love.
Grandpa’s not really a... model citizen. He’s mostly just shrewd.
...Are you jealous?
I’m not. My old man is, though...
Huh. Is he, now? Well, your dad’s got his good points too, I think.
Like, I dunno, he seems like the kind of man who can accomplish big things. Though he seems a lot stricter than my grandpa.
Oh, c’mon. I don’t get you. What are you clamming up for?
No reason...
If you don’t wanna go home, then... how about we go somewhere far away from here?
...Huh?
Once it stops raining! Let’s get outta here! Head up to the capital, find some work.
We could make it work, the two of us! Oh, and we’ll bring Nero, of course!
...If we could...
that would be nice. Break free of this city and its outdated traditions.
Head somewhere bigger, more forward-thinking...
...If only it were possible.
It’s all right, Maria. I know you were just joking. We wouldn’t be able to find work, anyway.
If the two of us ran off, we’d be starving in a month. You’d have to be blind not to see that.
Right...
Let’s go home once the rain lets up.
Yeah. Once it does... But until then, hmm. I know, let’s sing!
Sing even louder than the lightning! Then maybe you’ll stop crying, Jacopino.
I am not crying!
Ahaha. C’mon, let’s sing.

Maria...
I may not put it into words,
but I trust you understand
that I consider you
a dear friend.

The Campanellas are too conservative. Under their control, this country will atrophy.
Progress will continue to lose steam.
If we don’t push forward, we’ll fall farther and farther behind.
Before long, you will be made the next capofamiglia. But until that day, you will cross over to the New World...
and establish the cosca there. Unify us. Bolster us. Make us strong.
I’ll handle things back here. I won’t let the Campanellas try and strike back.
What...? You want Maria to...?
It’s dangerous to keep a Campanella so close by.
She has to be taken care of.
...If you insist...
But do not let your guard down. Betrayal is a constant companion in this world.
I’m giving you my revolver. Keep it on you at all times.
Glory everlasting upon our blood — and upon this earth.

If I show you any more obviously preferential treatment, the Bearzattis are liable to step in.

Money, power, respect... and enough authority to not take orders from anyone... I thought that if I could obtain all that... I would be able to give you your freedom... And her, as well... I wanted to give you both comfortable lives...

...But none of that... got through... to either of you...

Everything...
(is slipping through my fingers...)
(Her love... my friendship with Maria...)
(Both of their smiles...)
Master — ! Master! Wh-What was that sound?!
Eek! S-So much blood... Ah, aaaah, Maria?!
Wh-What happened this time?!
...You keep getting stuck witnessing the worst things...
Wha — Um, what?!
...Call a doctor. Someone with tight lips. Do not call the police...
And don’t make a scene... got it? If so, then go on.
Y-Yes, sir!
(Right... not everything has slipped from my grasp...)
(My money and influence are all that’s left...)

You sought money and power, no?
Aren’t you going to go?
Yes, I will. But first, I would like to ask you something:
What do you intend to do from here?
What am I gonna do?
Exactly the... same as before. There is but one thing for me to do.
I... see. Will you eventually find solace in your riches?
The way I see it, money and power can be your ally, but they can become your enemy in the blink of an eye.
If you do not put them into words, your feelings will never make it through to anyone.
For unlike money, humans are not measurable by their appearance.

He was chained down by his place in society, his pride, his relationships, and his own heart. And at some point, he found himself in a position where he was no longer able to speak his mind. After enough time, he likely forgot how to be genuine at all. Or perhaps someone like him simply would not, even if they knew how. In any event, there are many things in this world that cannot be communicated without being put into words. How sad that his tale should end without him expressing how he truly felt. How hard it must have been... to never clear up his misunderstandings.

...After Jacopo’s confrontation with Maria, the Pacific Railroad was completed, as scheduled. Celebratory cheers shook the New World as the last spike was driven into the rails. Jacopo, however, could not even manage a smile listening to the telegraph. And I am sure you can take a guess as to why. The people with whom he wished to share that moment were not there. Shortly following her death, Jacopo held a private funeral for Maria. Then, he commenced a search for the White-Haired Girl. But he did not do so alone — he hired others to help, did everything in his power to find her, tirelessly searching for many, many years. However, he never was able to locate her... and he spent the remainder of his life alone.

Money. Power. Renown. Servants. The world around him was always quite lively... but solitude was his only companion. He waited, and he waited, and he waited for the White-Haired Girl to return.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Gotta say, the gravitas of this moment is kind of undercut by the fact that Maria is dressed like an evil clown.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

That's one Kyrie-tier crazyface, though.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

The WHG's name is Rosebud

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Double Plus Undead posted:

Gotta say, the gravitas of this moment is kind of undercut by the fact that Maria is dressed like an evil clown.

Red and green, the colors of Italy! :italy:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I wonder if WHG becomes The Maid, or if they're something akin to two thoughtforms from the same entity.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That is a happier ending than I was expecting from this story.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

That is a happier ending than I was expecting from this story.

Only one person died on-screen and it was the person who most deserved it! :toot:

By Fata Morgana terms this is happy end.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I have a sneaking feeling WHG committed suicide after running away, given the emphasis on her deteriorating mental state.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

I have a sneaking feeling WHG committed suicide after running away, given the emphasis on her deteriorating mental state.
It's either that or she got reabsorbed into the House, if I'm correct in my read that her childhood never happened the way this version thought it did and everyone's memories including hers have been altered to think she's some impoverished noblewoman. Can you commit suicide when your status as someone living is so suspect? The WHG in chapter 2 died, but that happened inside the House. In both chapter 1 and 3 she runs off distressed and is never found again no matter how hard the person looking for her looks, not even as a body.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Desolation (piano)

You could no longer hear the raucous sounds of the men from within the den. The faint scent of cigarette smoke, however, lingered in the air.

Staring vaguely at the closed door, You noticed something was amiss. The Maid, who had been holding Your hand, was no longer at Your side. You glanced around, but she was nowhere in sight. Down the corridor stretched only darkness. Not having anticipated this, You were unsure how to react.

A voice called out to You — but it was not the Maid’s voice. Caught off-guard, You spun around, confused, in search of the source.

Where you looking? I’m over here. Yeah, there you go. Little more to the left.

Following the voice’s instructions, You found Yourself facing a wall.

Yep, you got it. I’m the one talkin’ to you.

The voice was coming from within the painting. When You had passed by this wall on Your way to the third door,a magnificent landscape painting had been hanging there. But now, the canvas was a deep shade of black, as if it had been dipped into a vat of ink.

Splendid.
Been so long since I’ve had a conversation, I was afraid I might’ve forgotten how to talk. So tell me, who might you be?
You don’t know? Well, isn’t that quite the pickle.
Then how ’bout we have a little chat, eh? You got yourself turned around and aren’t sure where to go, yeah?
Well, I’ll be happy to tell you anything I can, just ask away.

The painting sounded rather high-spirited. Perhaps he was simply excited to have the opportunity to speak with someone. So You decided You would ask the painting a few questions.

(It's nonlinear scene time! ...But it doesn't really matter much just yet, because we're going to have time to ask all the questions.)

Me? I’m... well, as you can see, I’m a painting.
Why did I end up as a painting? Hmm, hard to say.
Maybe I was reborn as a painting ’cause I used to really like art?
Though there are things I painted that I wish I hadn’t. Maybe that regret’s what turned me into this.
Hopefully I get the chance to apologize to him about that.
Anywho, no point in getting into any more detail than that. Wouldn’t mean anything to you. So enough about me.
Oh, right, you don’t know anything about yourself. A shame, that.
Hmmmm... All right, then. A favor for you, since you can’t tell me about yourself.
If you run into him, could you tell him I really regret what I did? I know I should tell him myself, but, well... as you can see.
I’m stuck here. Can’t move an inch, so I’ve gotta ask for help.
I feel absolutely terrible about painting that picture. I know, yeah, the deadline’s way past on that one, but that’s what makes it regret, yeah? ’Cause you can’t take it back.
By the time I had realized, it was too late.
He was already dead.
He’s... long since passed away...
Huh? How are you s’posed to give a dead fellow a message?
Well, for all you know...
the dead could be wandering these halls too.
So please, if you come across him, tell him I said that. That I didn’t mean any harm with that painting...
Or maybe...
Maybe... you are him?

Just ’cause you don’t know who you are doesn’t mean you can go around askin’ other people!
I’m not a person, you say? Well, no, you’re right, but...
I’m not gonna know anything about you that you can’t tell me yourself. I mean, from where I’m standin’, you look almost like a walking cloud of shadow.
I can’t even tell you what you look like.
The maid who was with you before — did she call you “Master”?
I see... But the question is, which era’s master are you?
How many doors have you been through?
Three doors, eh. And of those, did any of ’em bring anything back?
...Ah. Well, it’s not an easy thing, recovering yourself.
Or maybe... you weren’t behind any of those three doors.
Yeah, that’s gotta be it. That was your first time witnessing those tragedies. Yours is another door.
So tell me... How’d you feel looking behind those doors?
Was it frightening? Saddening? Heartwrenching?
Well, lemme tell you something...
You were able to bear ’em because they weren’t your tragedies.
If the next door you open is yours...
will you be able to bear it?
Will you be able to accept your own tragedy?
It’s one thing seeing others’ suffering, but your own...
If you have to face emotions you wanted to keep buried, secrets you wanted to keep hidden away, and pain you wanted to forget,
do you think you’ll be able to accept them as your own?
If you can’t, I wouldn’t blame you.
I wouldn’t accuse you of running if you chose not to reclaim your old self.
Nothin’ wrong with erasing your memory of something if it was so bad you didn’t want to face it in the first place.
Let it be rewritten as someone else’s story — that’ll make it a whole lot easier on you.
’Cause you never know — the most unfortunate tale of all... may well be your own.
Or perhaps... that goes for everything about you.
You won’t know ’til you see it? Well, that’s true enough. But once you do, there might not be any turning back.
Or do you mean to reclaim your old self no matter the cost?
If you do — if you’re sincerely prepared to do that,
then be wary of the tale that comes next.
Any tragedy that seems too beautiful to be real...
is precisely that —
a fabrication.
If it turns out you’re someone from behind the next door,
then perhaps you’re my...

Oof. Talk about some hard-hittin’ questions.
I’m probably not the one who’ll be able to answer that for you.
I don’t have a very deep connection with this mansion, y’see.
I swear it. I got nothin’ to gain from lying, do I?
It’s my regrets that’ve turned me into this.
I wasn’t summoned here by no one.
That said, there is one thing I can tell you.
This place summons people. People who have ties to something that happened long, long ago.
No one knows anything even happened.
I didn’t know either — ’til she told me. Though I haven’t the foggiest how much of it’s true or not.
Are you here...
because you were summoned by her?
Or did you...
come here of your own will, to find someone?
If you came here of your own volition, and you weren’t summoned by her...
then mayhaps you’ll be the one...
who can break...

Might as well ask her that directly.
But she won’t say ’til you’ve regained your old self?
I see... Well, in that case, if you wanna know, you know what you gotta do.
It’s entirely up to you whether you make an ally...
or an enemy outta her.
There’s no guaranteein’ she’s even right in the head.
You never know...
Maybe you’re not the only one who hasn’t found themselves.

You’re probably still wandering in the dark right now, but I really hope you find the outcome you want. And I mean that.
You can either reclaim your old self, or you can toss it aside.
The choice is yours, either way.
Now, since it looks like your escort isn’t showing up, what do you plan to do next?
Hmm... How ’bout taking a look around the place, since you’ve got a little free time?
Could be you come across some things you wouldn’t with her around.
Oh, right. If you’re gonna go exploring, I’ve got the perfect thing.
Stick your hand into the canvas, would ya?

The painting was still wrapped in an impenetrable darkness. A perfect, all-consuming void. The man had told You to put Your hand into it. You...

(This is actually an important choice, if an easy one.)

You extended Your hand for the painting. The moment Your fingertips brushed against the darkness, it swallowed Your entire hand up to the wrist.

Ahahaha! No, no, not there! That tickles! A little to the right!

As the man in the painting had instructed, You groped around the inside of the darkness. Before long, You felt something hard at Your fingertips. Clenching the object, You withdrew Your hand. Your arm was still intact.

You spread Your fingers, and there You found a key.

Ahh, that tickled. With that key, you can access the master bedroom.
A while back, she tossed it into me. The damned litterbug.
So yeah, it ain’t mine. Don’t worry about giving it back. However...
I bet there’s something worth seeing in there, if she felt the need to toss that key.
All right, well, I’m gonna get some sleep. You take care.
If...
If you happen to learn my name, come pay me another visit...
should the fancy strike you.

In Your hand lay a small key. It seemed rather antiquated... and vaguely familiar. Silence once again drew over the corridor. You stood there all alone, no sign of the Maid.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 8, 2018

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Glad you got the right version of Desolation for this. Interestingly, the version that comes on the game's OST isn't the piano version that plays in game, but instead this strings version. I definitely think the piano version is the better one.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

(It's time to search for the maid!

If we hadn't reached into the painting last scene, we wouldn't have access to the master bedroom. But, we're starting from the top.)

There was no one around, nor any source of light. Groping through the darkness, You found the front door, which was sealed shut with a heavy bar. You pressed against the bar, but it remained firmly in place. The door did not budge either. It seemed You could not leave the mansion.

When You made to step away from the entrance, You heard a muffled voice. You looked around, but were unable to determine the source of the voice. Nor could You be sure whom You had heard either.

Giving up on finding anything at the entrance, You decided to head somewhere else.

What remained of the fire crackled weakly, leaving the room in a veil of darkness. You remembered that You had awoken here. Out of sheer curiosity You sat down in the rocking chair You had been asleep in.

Creak, creak, creak.

It was as soothing as a cradle to a baby, and in short order, You found Your consciousness drifting from Your grasp.

I bet that’s why troubadours perform at pubs — so they can be near the fire.
Oh, you’re such a cynic...
But that’s okay, hehe. Say...
Do you remember when I first arrived here? When I was cleaning the library...

Fragments of a pleasant dream lingered in the back of Your mind. The crackling of a fire. The taste of warm wine. However, there was nothing pleasant about the fireplace sitting before You. No warm, crackling flames. In fact, the brisk air of the room overpowered the remnants of embers left there.

A chill ran down Your spine. Afraid You might freeze stiff if You stayed there much longer, You resumed Your exploration of the mansion.

You tried calling for the Maid.

It was quiet. A sense of loneliness fell over You.

Something was moving — billiards balls. There was no one present to strike the balls; they rolled spontaneously around the table. The paths they traced across the surface were rough and erratic — contrasting that of when the former master had held the cue. The spheres collided awkwardly with one another, not a single one coming close to the pockets. As an experiment, You pulled a ball off the table. In response, the paths of the balls became even clumsier. Having lost one of their targets, they began bouncing aimlessly off the cushioned walls of the table.

As You stared intently at the table, a man’s voice rang out from somewhere in the room.

Spinning around, You saw a silhouette of a man. However, You could not make out what the man was saying.

The man thrust his finger at the table; he appeared to want You to return the ball. You reluctantly placed the billiards ball back on the table. When You did, the balls resumed endlessly colliding with one another, never landing in any of the pockets.

Having determined that the Maid was not going to appear in the den, You exited the room, making Your way back into the corridor.

Oh, ××××××... You got petals on the book. This isn’t mine. I can’t afford to...

Though You could hear the sound of children laughing, You could not see them. Regardless, their cheerful voices warmed Your heart. You decided to linger there in the garden for some time. Along with the children’s laughs wafted a sweet fragrance. The wind blew, whisking flower petals up into the air. It was an enchanting sight.

You could no longer hear the children’s voices either.

A young man stood alone in the withered rose garden. As You drew nearer, You called out to the youth. But the young man did not appear to notice You. He merely stood there, staring vacantly across the garden.

The youth muttered something in a lifeless voice.

I just... wanted a normal... peaceful life...
I can’t bear being alone...
I can’t take this...
Someone, get me out of here...
O God...
Tell me... that I’m not the bad one here...

You tried to call out to the young man several times, but he did not seem to hear You. He simply continued muttering to himself.

Before long, the youth’s shadow faded into nothing. Unable to bear the chilly air any longer, You stepped back into the mansion.

Along with it came a sour odor and the sound of ripping flesh. You could not see the beast, but that did not make it any less unpleasant.

You made to retreat from the cellar,

but before You could, a shadowy creature lunged at You. You reflexively squeezed Your eyes shut.

After several moments, You opened Your eyes again to find a silhouette of a man standing in place of the beast. You and the shadow stared at one another for some time. You asked the shadow a question, and the shadow responded.

However, You had no idea what it said. The shadow seemed to be trying to communicate something to You, but trying to make sense of something You could not understand was pointless.

Having no reason to remain in the cellar any longer, You made Your way back upstairs.

You approached a shelf to examine one of the books — and suddenly, an avalanche of them came falling to the floor.

You stared blankly at the mountain of books. They had fallen down on their own, but they showed no signs of putting themselves away. Since no one else was there to do it, You began placing the books back on the shelf. One, two, three, a dozen... And as soon as You had gotten them all back up... they came crashing back down again. You wished very much to implore of the Maid’s assistance, but she did not appear to be in the area.

Pretending You had not seen anything, You made Your way back into the hallway.

An array of pews was arranged facing the stained glass. There seemed to be an air of tranquility about the room. You sat down in one of the pews and stared quietly forward for some time. For a moment, You felt like You were on the verge of recalling something, but ultimately, the memory never managed to surface. The Maid did not appear to be there. Where could she have gone?

You decided to resume exploring the mansion.

And with a twist, the door opened...

It had evidently been left unused for some time; the air in the room was stale and forlorn.

Master...

A voice seemed to ring out from somewhere.

Come on, get up.
Up with you...

MAAAASTEEEER!

:siren:BGM: Cicio:siren:

Without warning, Your whole world took on bright, vivid colors. Light streamed through the window, illuminating a well-lived bedroom. A woman’s silhouette stood before You.

Ah, w-w-wait a sec! Don’t you hide under your bedspread! Get out of there!
Oh, but Master, you agreed that I could open the windows.
Don’t worry, I’ve put curtains up. If it gets too bright, you can draw them.
Mornings take the best parts of being outside and squeeze them all into the same few hours.
You don’t have to go outside in the sunlight for it either. Just listen to all the wonderful sounds.
The joyous songs of the birds, the swaying of the trees, the rustling of leaves...

You tried to call out to the silhouette, but it did not respond. Reaching out for her, Your hand simply passed through her body.
It did not seem to be You that she was speaking to. Perhaps... You were looking at a scene from some other period of time.

A-Am I... being as pushy as I feel right now?
Nnh...
Hehe...
I completely misjudged you.
You’re the exact opposite of what I thought you were.
Let’s see... I thought you were cold and cruel...
heartless and incomprehensible.
But I’m beginning to get a better idea.
You try to put on airs, but you’re really rather childish.
You have a short temper, but can be surprisingly playful.
Hmm, what else? You have a pretty difficult personality too.

You gave me a chance to talk, and you listened intently.
You can be kind of nice too.
We agreed that we would live together, not just in the same house, so we’ve got plenty of time to add more to the list.
And I hope... you can make your own list about me too.
This is just the beginning, after all... We’ve got a long, long time ahead of us.
Plenty enough to get to know each other, no?
Let’s not waste any time, then! What do you say we do something today that we haven’t been able to before?
Hmm, where should we begin? Ooh, I know! We can get this place cleaned up!
Now that there’s some actual light in here, we can see all sorts of things we’d probably rather not.
Like dust. All over the place.
Hehehe...

Master...
Can you say
my name?

...You were unsure how to describe the urge welling up within Your breast. You could not... say her name...

You stood unmoving in the master bedroom for some time, but it did not appear anything else was going to happen. So You decided to head somewhere else.

(Once you've looked everywhere else, you can go back to the stained-glass window.)

You had searched throughout the mansion, but had no luck finding the Maid. You felt somewhat tired, though You were not quite sure whether it was physical exhaustion or otherwise. You had little interest in doing any more moving about. Taking a seat in one of the pews, You gazed up at the stained glass. Staring solemnly down back at You was the archangel said to weigh the souls of the deceased. Perhaps he was trying to weigh Your soul.

BGM: The Maid (Piano)

Oh my... It was I who disappeared? That is quite strange. I did not go anywhere, as far as I am aware.
Nevertheless, I am glad to have found you. I would have been at a complete loss for what to do if I had been separated from you yet again.
I did, indeed, say that when you first arrived. I have been waiting for your return for a very long time.
For centuries, as a matter of fact.
...That would make me a ghost, then, you say?
Hehehe... I am very much not a ghost. Would I be able to hold your hand if I were?

Saying this, the Maid took Your hand. It was cold enough to send a shudder down Your spine — and completely devoid of life. Though, as chilling as it may have been, You still took comfort in the feeling of her hand in Yours. The Maid looked down at You with gentle eyes. After a few moments of silence, she sat down beside You.

The stained glass is quite beautiful, is it not? Every time I see it, it brings a tranquility to my heart.
A dreadful, deep-rooted curse afflicts this mansion.
However, this room is the one exception. Can you feel the purity that hangs in the air, Master?
Yes? What is it, Master?
You are correct. The stained-glass window had been shattered and was not present in the time period of the previous tale.
I wonder... Perhaps it is because the mansion we are in presently resides in a realm separate from the real world.
We are in a world constructed from myriad memories and histories. I am sure that when you regain your old self, Master, the mansion too shall be restored to its original state.
So do try and remember, all right? Hehehe...

I... I see. So you explored the mansion, then? And did you find anything noteworthy?
...Memories? I am not quite sure what you mean.
How peculiar. As a servant of this house, I pride myself in being aware of most everything present within these walls.
I wonder whose memories they could be.
The key to the master bedroom?
Why did I throw away the key?
...I beg your pardon?
You say a painting told you?

You could see perplexity on the Maid’s face. You had never seen her make such an expression before.

I...
...I know nothing of any key.
Oh, Master, you should not tell jokes meant to cause others discomfort, hehe.
But a talking painting, you say? You seem to have a rather vivid imagination. Maybe you can tell the next tale, Master.
Hehehe... I am only teasing.

I am certain you will remember yourself after seeing it.
To our feet. The final door is not far.
And please, do not let go of my hand.

Holding Your hand, the Maid led You to the far end of the room.

Our destination lies at the top of these stairs. There we will find one last door.

She pushed open the metal door, revealing a long, long spiral staircase.

This is called an observation tower.
Normally, towers such as this were built in castles or churches, so it is rather strange for there to be one in a mansion.
The last door I wish to show you, Master, resides at the top of this tower.

Rectangular windows were carved out of the stone in several locations along the way up the spiral staircase. You attempted to peer out one of the windows, but all You could see was a thick layer of fog. Perhaps the Maid’s suggestion that the mansion did not presently reside in reality was, in fact, correct. With each step upward, You found Yourself gripped by an indescribable sense of anxiety. The feeling somewhat resembled irritation or annoyance. Sensing this, the Maid tightly gripped Your hand.

There is nothing to worry about; you will be fine. It is all in the past. No matter what may happen, so long as you do not let go of my hand,
you have nothing to fear.

You and the Maid continued climbing the stairs. Up and up, around and around, marching ever nearer the supposed final door. High up into the tower, as the light from below drew distant, a rotten wood door came into view.

You heard a scream from far below, where no one should have been.

Kill the witch, kill the witch, kill the witch...
Burn her, burn her, burn her...

You were struck with fear; the next moment, the Maid opened the door.
And then —

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 23, 2018

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
That's going to be it for Chapter 3. Things will be on hold for a bit as I prep the next few updates - Chapter 4 is going to be a bit different from what we've seen so far.

For those who have played before, and are wondering - yes, I'm going to be reproducing that aspect of chapter 4, so please don't spoil the surprise.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Something terrible this way comes.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Hmm, I expected the story to go into more than 4 cycles of the curse.

I have a prediction that is probably completely wrong in a way I haven't anticipated, based on nothing more than my eagerness to get into the lgbt parts of this story that were mentioned in the (content warnings in the) OP: the Maid is in love with the WHG, it was potentially mutual at some point in the long past before the curse fell, the POV character is- hm. I was about to say the POV character is the WHG, but the Maid implies the POV character was first involved with the mansion an extremely long time ago and their failure to return is what causes the curse to play out each time, almost like the POV character is running from the mansion somehow. Either the POV character is some sort of strong force that deliberately with-held salvation because of spite, or breaking the cycle of the curse involves something very very painful for the POV character, and I'm heavily leaning towards the second although a pinch of the first wouldn't be a swerve from the tone of the story.

Oh and super far-flung theory: the original cycle that caused the curse to root is going to have Arthurian mythological themes, which I'm guessing at based on nothing more than the reference to the Fata Morgana.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 10, 2018

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

PetraCore, when you refer to the OP, what you are talking about was in the OP only for a content warning. The content warning was put in a spoiler tag for a reason, so if you are using that for speculation, you should probably put that in a tag yourself.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

MegaZeroX posted:

PetraCore, when you refer to the OP, what you are talking about was in the OP only for a content warning. The content warning was put in a spoiler tag for a reason, so if you are using that for speculation, you should probably put that in a tag yourself.
Oh snap, while I realized it had been in a content warning, I forgot it had been spoiled. Fixed, thanks, lemme know if you think that's not enough.

And to clarify, it's not that I want to see the specific stuff in the content warning, it's that obviously transphobia and homophobia implies there will be lgb and trans characters at some point. Which I like!! I'm a lesbian! I was so certain Maria was going to be one too, but, nope.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think I figured out who the viewpoint character is.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Well Jacopo ultimately got what was coming for him, altough I think the game seems to think I cared about him more as a tragic figure than I really do. Even without Marias interference he was still in a dysfunctional relationship where he abused and ignored his wife, kept his childhood friend as a maid in a demeaning position on vague promises that he might make things better for her in time.

I did not think "If Maria had not been so resentful and conspiring they could all have lived happily in time!" I thought "Wow Jacopo you massive dumbass you screwed everything up with your stupid insecurity and insensitivity"

Even the friendship with Maria might have been salvageable if Jacopo had come forward and had a frank and honest talk with his childhood friend about what really happened with her parents and such, doubtful, but it would have made it clear where everyone stood and Marias resentment might not have grown so obsessive.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Minor update - It looks like we have a release date for the DLC chapter now, so that's probably going to make it into the LP.

e: If you follow the link behind that tweet, expect spoilers.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 12, 2018

Selane
May 19, 2006

imo even that image is kind of spoilery for people that haven't finished the first game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I feel like it's fairly harmless without context, but use your own discretion.