Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The posters in the old Archie thread agreed we needed a new one, so here it is. This thread title was the one everyone liked the most. Personally, I would have gone with "No Copyright Infringement in the Universe Can Stop Him".

From the ashes of the Archie Sonic comic's cancellation, a new series by IDW comics is here, with... well, most of the same people who have been making Sonic comics for the past decade, being written primarily by Ian Flynn and including such veteran artists as Adam Bryce Thomas, Tyson Hesse, Jennifer Hernandez, and many others. The comic does not follow the original Archie comics continuity OR the reboot that occurred later in the book's life, but instead is set primarily in a universe highly similar to (but not the same) as the one from the games. Set after the events of Sonic Forces, Sonic is wandering around, playing hero as he always has. Meanwhile, Dr. Eggman is mysteriously nowhere to be found and a new force is seemingly taking control of his badnik army...

Important Details
    The comic will release four issues every week in April, before going to a monthly schedule in the months following.
    Regarding such characters such as the Freedom Fighters, "the door is not closed", but they want the first year to focus on the game characters and new ones created for the comic.
    The book is, for now, focused on Modern Sonic and related characters, with such characters as Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Squirrel, considered the domain of Sonic's Classic incarnation.
    The comic will use the "two worlds" canon that has apparently been the case all along in the games, with Sonic and his friends being native to one world and humans being native to another. Ian Flynn has reportedly said that he hopes to explain how this all shakes out properly.

The Who

Heroes

Sonic the Hedgehog

Fresh off the events of Forces, Sonic is eager to get back to his life of carefree adventure and free agent superheroics. But with Eggman's badniks seemingly becoming organized again, Sonic may find himself drawn back to working with the Resistance.

Miles "Tails" Prower

Sonic's best friend and partner, Tails reunites with Sonic during a badnik attack. More involved in the action than the game that precedes this comic's events, Tails both worries for Sonic's safety and is determined that events like what occurred to him beforehand don't repeat.

The Resistance

A veritable group of "freedom fighters", the Resistance included a number of Sonic's friends, such as Amy Rose, Knuckles the Echidna, the Chaotix, and more. After helping free the world from Eggman's control, they're still active, fighting the remnants of Eggman's army, and are sure to get involved in Sonic's further adventures. I also don't have an easy picture to use for most of them, so they get this blanket description!

Sonic Forces may have forgotten her, but Ian Flynn hasn't!

Tangle the Lemur

A new character created for the IDW comics, Tangle is a ring-tailed lemur who fights by using her tail as if it were a third arm. Described as "scrappy" and "loving to tangle with the bad guys".

Villains

Dr. Eggman

The man with the master plan. Sonic's greatest nemesis, Eggman disappeared mysteriously with the destruction of his war machine at the end of Sonic Forces. But wherever he may be now, one thing is for certain: you can't keep a good mad scientist down for long.

Rough and the Tumble

Two skunk brothers created to be antagonists for the comics, who are "more bullies than masterminds". Tumble is apparently missing part of his tail.

Out Now

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #1
SONIC'S RACING INTO A NEW ADVENTURE! After defeating the evil Dr. Eggman's latest plot, Sonic is racing around the world to shut down the robotic Badnik forces that are still attacking villages. But it's a big job for one hedgehog-even Sonic! Fortunately, he'll have some help from his best friend: Tails!
Released April 4th, 2018.

Upcoming Issues

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #2
Sonic’s new adventure continues, and when he comes across another town in need of saving, his old pal Amy arrives just in time to join the fight! The banter is fun, and the stakes are high, but things get really serious when Amy presents Sonic with a big request: rejoin the Resistance!
Released April 11th, 2018

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #3
Sonic and Knuckles team up, and it's just like old times-until two new villains show up. With a group of villagers under attack, will even the combined forces of these two heroes be enough to take down Rough and Tumble???
Released April 18th, 2018

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #4
Sonic comes across a town under attack from the biggest Badnik force he's ever seen. Luckily, help is on the way from his old friend Blaze, as well as a new hero! Get ready for the debut of Tangle!
Released April 25th, 2018

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #5
“The Fate of Dr. Eggman,” Part 1. After his last battle with Sonic, Dr. Eggman’s gone quiet. His Badnik forces are still causing trouble, but without the bad doctor’s usual fanfare. What’s Eggman been doing all this time? And what will happen to Sonic when he finds out?
Released May 30th, 2018

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #6
“The Fate of Dr. Eggman,” Part 2. Dr. Eggman has been located, but Sonic’s not the only one to find him! When Shadow comes, whose side will Sonic be on?!?
Released June, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Picked up the first issue earlier today, and it was a pretty good read. Really glad the first 4 issues are coming out weekly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mikedawson posted:

Picked up the first issue earlier today, and it was a pretty good read. Really glad the first 4 issues are coming out weekly.

Same. I am optimistic and looking forward.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
This seems promising.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Nodosaur posted:

Regarding such characters such as the Freedom Fighters, "the door is not closed", but they want the first year to focus on the game characters and new ones created for the comic.

I guess that's better than "No chance, stop asking".

For those who got the first issue, did you get it physical or digital? Did anything in particular stand out as great/terrible or is it just a decent comic?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Agent Rush posted:

I guess that's better than "No chance, stop asking".

For those who got the first issue, did you get it physical or digital? Did anything in particular stand out as great/terrible or is it just a decent comic?

Digital it was just a decent intro comic and I was not expecting much more from the 1st issue. Which is also why I am glad April is weekly for the comic.

Also the art is really nice.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I like the concept of remnants from Eggman's army suddenly pulling off organized attacks on cities after a long time being AI idle

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Digital it was just a decent intro comic and I was not expecting much more from the 1st issue. Which is also why I am glad April is weekly for the comic.

Also the art is really nice.

Yeah, this was very much a "This is the current status quo don't worry about things too much" comic. A quick introduction for who Sonic is, who Tails is and how they interact as well as the current setting (Post Forces)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'The Resistance' immediately read to me as 'Legally distinct from the Freedom Fighters'. Probably just as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How readable or appropriate is this for a six year old boy who has recently discovered he loves Sonic the Hedgehog? My son's birthday is coming up and I'd like to get him something but I know Sonic stuff can get insane.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's perfectly appropriate. Ian Flynn's stuff is always accessible and never gets heavier than a saturday morning cartoon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

It's perfectly appropriate. Ian Flynn's stuff is always accessible and never gets heavier than a saturday morning cartoon.

I don't think there's any danger of it going past where, to pull a name, Gravity Falls went if Flynn's work on Megaman is any yard stick.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 6, 2018

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'The Resistance' immediately read to me as 'Legally distinct from the Freedom Fighters'. Probably just as well.

It's from Forces, and it might as well be.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

Except maybe the parts when he took over involving the Egg Grapes, those things were hosed up by regular comics standards, let alone something meant for kids like a Sonic The Hedgehog comic is

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eh.

It's nothing harder than stuff from Justice League Unlimited, which was still a kids' show at the end of the day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Have you seen kids shows these days? They're pretty candid about people dying. DuckTales even.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Eh.

It's nothing harder than stuff from Justice League Unlimited, which was still a kids' show at the end of the day.

JLU was a rare exception for the era

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have you seen kids shows these days? They're pretty candid about people dying. DuckTales even.

These days sure, this was more than a decade ago though

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

drrockso20 posted:

Except maybe the parts when he took over involving the Egg Grapes, those things were hosed up by regular comics standards, let alone something meant for kids like a Sonic The Hedgehog comic is

The Egg Grapes weren't a Flynn creation though, they first appeared in the Bollers written Return to Angel Island

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The Egg Grapes aren't just "dying", they're "your very life essence, your intelligence, and your soul drained slowly and torturously in full view of your family suffering the same fate". And one of the first victims was an impoverished little girl. Bit more grim than standard fare.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

JLU was very much not an exception - Teen Titans, the 4Kids TMNT show, all had similar content. And you need more than the basic premise of the Matrix to make something truly “messed up”. I mean hell Sonic Adventure 2 has a girl being gunned down off screen by a paramilitary organization.

What’s messed up is stuff like Penders appropriating a Holocaust poem. For everything else, people need to stop acting like whenever the Sonic comic gets heavier than an episode of the Super Friends it’s suddenly gotten too weird.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

marshmallow creep posted:

How readable or appropriate is this for a six year old boy who has recently discovered he loves Sonic the Hedgehog? My son's birthday is coming up and I'd like to get him something but I know Sonic stuff can get insane.

He'll love it. At his age I could barely read but I worked really hard just to read my father's comic books which were a mixture of Asterix and Donal Duck/Uncle Scrooge, because I loved that stuff.

Ian Flynn's a good all ages writer. Not only is the material perfectly fine for kids but he knows kids are reading these books too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm not very familiar with Sonic Forces and that's honestly just as well. But interestingly, it seems like the Forces status quo is basically a take on SatAM with more room for self-inserts; Eggman's forces have pretty much conquered the world and the remaining free critter folks are fighting guerrilla warfare against the robot forces, though it seems after this Eggman is AWOL and the decapitated robot army is more or less wandering around aimlessly and probably ripe for whatever new villain comes along to take control. Basically could be almost post-finale SatAM.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not very familiar with Sonic Forces and that's honestly just as well. But interestingly, it seems like the Forces status quo is basically a take on SatAM with more room for self-inserts; Eggman's forces have pretty much conquered the world and the remaining free critter folks are fighting guerrilla warfare against the robot forces, though it seems after this Eggman is AWOL and the decapitated robot army is more or less wandering around aimlessly and probably ripe for whatever new villain comes along to take control. Basically could be almost post-finale SatAM.

Eggman finds the Phantom Ruby from the Classic world which he can use to create an infinite army and he winds up giving it to a Jackal mercenary who was trying to kill him because he kicked his rear end. Then they mass produced it, beat up Sonic tortured him for 9 months or whatever, Knuckles forms the Resistance, they fight, your OC fistbumps sonic a lot, Classic Sonic is... there... and then you beat up Eggman, defeat infinite, and Classic goes home.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So issue 2 dropped and yep, that is pretty decent Sonic/Amy banter.

I get the impression Eggman isn't even there and that this is all leading up to an Inspector Gadget gag in the next issue or something

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 11, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

holy poo poo was Adam Bryce Thomas' art in issue 2 great. I wasn't that big of a fan of his archie stuff (unlike most people) because while it was really impressive on a technical level it often felt kinda stiff. But that's no longer an issue with his stuff at IDW, very energetic.

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 12, 2018

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Issue 2 was really good. I'm glad to see this characterization of Amy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ken Penders stuff has no bearing on IDW. Let the guy fade away and leave him to his own terrible devices.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Glad these first 4 issues are weekly rather than monthly, getting through this introductory stuff as fast as possible is definitely a good idea. Amy became one of my favorite characters as I was reading through the previous comic, I was honestly surprised how consistently competent, well-written, and likeable she was even before Flynn took over, so this issue, despite being pretty simple, gets a solid thumbs up from me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This was a wonderful issue

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Amy still owns.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I like all the talk about militias and armies coming in from the west. It's all my favourite parts of war fiction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Amy seems to have borrowed some from her Boom incarnation; being more mature and responsible than Sonic himself cares to be.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Amy seems to have borrowed some from her Boom incarnation; being more mature and responsible than Sonic himself cares to be.

Ian's always written her like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nigel Kitching and Lew Stringer were writing her like that in 1994. :v:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/984417115120852994

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nigel Kitching and Lew Stringer were writing her like that in 1994. :v:

Too lazy to look those guys up right now, are you talking about Archie or Fleetway here?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Too lazy to look those guys up right now, are you talking about Archie or Fleetway here?

Fleetway

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Fleetway

I've heard good things about that version of Amy, although whenever I've looked up anything Fleetway related, the art is just almost universally mediocre

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

drrockso20 posted:

I've heard good things about that version of Amy, although whenever I've looked up anything Fleetway related, the art is just almost universally mediocre

I've heard that writing wise Fleetway was better than Archie in general during that specific period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I've heard that writing wise Fleetway was better than Archie in general during that specific period.

That wasn't hard. Fleetway Comics were still... weird...

Also Sonic is a total loving rear end in a top hat