Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Did you also get new power plants for your ships? Something I noticed is that the game will only partially upgrade your poo poo (or not at all), if the new stuff drains too much energy. Some of my designs turned into awkward messes with the game trying to figure out what weapon or shield should be upgraded before the energy runs out.

If your old designs had not much energy left over, it could be it didn't want to upgrade your shields because your ship power plants couldn't take it anymore.
I can do it manually fine.

AG3 posted:

I'm not sure this is it, because you get the same issue with outposts/star bases and they have effectively infinite power (even the lowest level power plant gives them like 10.000 power). In the game files each component has a line telling the game what that component will be upgraded into, like Shield II being upgraded to Shield III. Despite the fact that the ship design screen will correctly hide Shield II as being obsolete if you have Shield IV but not Shield III, this doesn't seem to work with auto-upgrading outposts/star bases, they will only update if you have every intermediate version of the component as well, at least in my experience.
Yeah, I noticed it and remembered someone mentioning it about starbases. It looks like the upgrade check only checks one step deep for newer components.
code:
utility_component_template = {
	key = "SMALL_SHIELD_1"
	size = small
	icon = "GFX_ship_part_shield_1"
	icon_frame = 1
	power = @power_S1
	cost = @cost_S1
	modifier = {
		ship_shield_add = @shield_S1
		ship_shield_regen_add_static = @regen_S1 #Regeneration per day
	}
	prerequisites = { "tech_shields_1" }
	component_set = "SHIELD_1"
	upgrades_to = "SMALL_SHIELD_2"
}
It looks like if you have a SMALL_SHIELD_1 on your ship and hit upgrade it checks to see if SMALL_SHIELD_2 is available, and if it is it checks to see if what that upgrades to (SMALL_SHIELD_3) is available etc. If an intermediary step isn't available it just stops though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shadowlyger posted:

Yeah a fleet manager for armies would be kinda nice. Not something you'd really use particularly often, though.

I just want to be able to hit the "reinforce" button and have the game take care of ordering the armies and pathing them to the existing unit.

Shadowlyger posted:

I mean, not unless you're warring all the time.

Well...

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A truce on one front just means its time to go a conquerin' in the other direction :black101:

Not to give Wiz ideas but I guess Civ-level War Exhaustion ala EU4 could be a thing. But on the other hand, no, please god, no.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 5, 2018

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Its a trick to get you to buy $100 of expansions!

Oh haha I'm sure that's just some silly hyperbole, it couldn't be-

:stare:

iospace posted:

Just glass the planets. Problem solved :shrug:

This is partly why I've switched to playing swarms, purifiers and machines pretty much exclusively since 2.0. Don't have to deal with claims, casus belli, federation weirdness, just gonna paint the galaxy for a while. I'll switch back to federations when the Space UN patch hits.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I find machine empires to be really excellent post 2.0. They feel really solid these days, and I'd suggest folks give them a try if they haven't.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, the AI mods really seem to make a difference. I was just playing on Captain, and got loving stomped when all three of my other neighbours opportunistically declared war on me while I was busy kicking around a devouring swarm that was my fourth neighbour. I guess I should've seen it coming though, was playing xenophobes and keeping my borders closed from everyone, which seems to be pretty great at annoying your neighbours.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Nordick posted:

Man, the AI mods really seem to make a difference. I was just playing on Captain, and got loving stomped when all three of my other neighbours opportunistically declared war on me while I was busy kicking around a devouring swarm that was my fourth neighbour. I guess I should've seen it coming though, was playing xenophobes and keeping my borders closed from everyone, which seems to be pretty great at annoying your neighbours.

Yeah the AI mods improve the AI's performance by about 2-3x in terms of resource generation and science generation from some of the quick and dirty testing I did, and they make it waaaay smarter about fleets and naval supply and all the other things that seem to eventually cripple the vanilla AI. Also they give it the ability to run edicts like the player does.

Glavius AI mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1140543652

Enhanced AI mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692253918

It's intended that you run both they won't conflict.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

iospace posted:

I got Covfefe and Stimsis in my current game. They're currently owned by a devouring horde.

What’s the significance of Stimsis? Google isn’t helping.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Nightgull posted:

What’s the significance of Stimsis? Google isn’t helping.

This was the second hit in Google when looking it up. It took me a moment of recollection to remember it being some really sad StarCitizen fanfic or something. There's been so many jokes over the years now I don't remember the significance of this one anymore.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Weird Star Citizen fan writes weird fan fiction about game, goons find it and run it into the ground while beating its dead carcass for years.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's ok in this version, you just right click the combat fleet with the transports, and once the fighting is over and you're in orbit click "land armies" - a lot of the really dumb stuff is automated now. It's probably not worth listing all the differences but invading planets went from "gently caress this I'm not doing it" to "Yeah its fine"

Ah, I see you don't know about the Aggressive stance.

1) Set transport fleet to "Aggressive."

2) Move the transport fleet into the same system as the fleet you intend to follow. Do NOT set it to follow the fleet, just move it in the same system.

3) The transport fleet will now automatically follow the fleet around, and once a system is secured will automatically invade any planet it thinks it has a chance of succeeding at. You'll still need to manually move the fleet to bombard any planet where the AI is worried about the strength of its defenders, though.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tomn posted:

Ah, I see you don't know about the Aggressive stance.

1) Set transport fleet to "Aggressive."

2) Move the transport fleet into the same system as the fleet you intend to follow. Do NOT set it to follow the fleet, just move it in the same system.

3) The transport fleet will now automatically follow the fleet around, and once a system is secured will automatically invade any planet it thinks it has a chance of succeeding at. You'll still need to manually move the fleet to bombard any planet where the AI is worried about the strength of its defenders, though.

This is a great tip. I like to manually choose when my army engages based on planet bombardment and defending army strength, that's just my preference. I agree, if you're dumping beefy armies or looking to reduce micro, this works really well.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

That list is just some nerd's opinion, so it could be any of the other occurrences of the name Heaven's Gate.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This was the second hit in Google when looking it up. It took me a moment of recollection to remember it being some really sad StarCitizen fanfic or something. There's been so many jokes over the years now I don't remember the significance of this one anymore.

IIRC, Stimsis is the capitol of the 3rd(?) Stimpire.

e: Found it:

quote:

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

That's some real stupid poo poo right there

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Welcome to StarCitizen, where people spend millions of dollars on stupid poo poo they made up in their head.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh I just found out that an annoying problem I've been having is caused by the Dynamic Difficulty mod checking the settings of each AI and NPC empire and then reimplementing their difficulty settings every year regardless of whether or not anything needs to change.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I used my colossus as an excuse to conquer Empire A (for rear end in a top hat), and now their former neighbour, Empire B hates me. Because when I took possession of Empire A's planets I apparently also inherited their claims (and opinion modifiers) on Empire B. Even though I can't see (or revoke) the claims! :toot:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Are you sure you didn't rather inherit Empire B's claims on the systems you took from Empire A?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Slashrat posted:

Are you sure you didn't rather inherit Empire B's claims on the systems you took from Empire A?

"Our claims on them"

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Black Pants posted:

Ugh I just found out that an annoying problem I've been having is caused by the Dynamic Difficulty mod checking the settings of each AI and NPC empire and then reimplementing their difficulty settings every year regardless of whether or not anything needs to change.

Huh. That might be why my game slows to a crawl every Jan 1.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Iron Rose posted:

Huh. That might be why my game slows to a crawl every Jan 1.

If you've got the mod and have more than a couple of empires in your game then yeah that's what happens.

Oh well and now the mod is out of beta as of a couple of hours ago and apparently that's been fixed, so yay.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 6, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Shugojin posted:

My eyes glazed over halfway through the first paragraph, is there a tl:dr?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wafflecopper posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837056

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

There should be a deskeletonization purge mode.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GotLag posted:

"Our claims on them"

I had a bug where that was reversed like that in the diplo screen. That might be what you're experiencing as well.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Wafflecopper posted:

There are many different types of electricity and the stimpire uses only the worst type.

Also, star citizen is a scam.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wafflecopper posted:

I just bothered reading the whole thing and it's worth it.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Imagine if the cinnamon bites from Hellraiser were a 40k faction. You got the Stimpire.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of it reads like it was written by the foreverally tied guy. "In the stimpire all citizens are foreverally oppressed and tortured. Worst electricity permanently torturing while loving it, fully oppressed and foreverally unable to touch buildings"

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Grinning Goblin posted:

Imagine if the cinnamon bites from Hellraiser were a 40k faction. You got the Stimpire.

I think even the cenobites would be less retarded than that stuff I just read.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of it reads like it was written by the foreverally tied guy. "In the stimpire all citizens are foreverally oppressed and tortured. Worst electricity permanently torturing while loving it, fully oppressed and foreverally unable to touch buildings"

Look at this diligent star citzen fan

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
After a war with a purifier where I reduced them to just two systems before declaring a status quo end I later went back to finish them off. My fleet blew up all the ships in the first system and then bombarded the planet until all the defensive armies were gone. I tried to land my assault armies but got the message that they could not land on an uninhabitable world. The world is 95% habitability for my race. The tiles all appear occupied with the purifier race, but most of them have the icon on them to indicate that they've been destroyed.

I have no idea how to finish this empire off if I can't land my assault armies.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
um... so we can NOT talk about the Third Stimpire, the Fourth Stimpire, and Stimpire Eternal ever again, here's an interesting mod review site.

https://www.odingaming.com/stellaris-mod-roundups/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trauma posted:

After a war with a purifier where I reduced them to just two systems before declaring a status quo end I later went back to finish them off. My fleet blew up all the ships in the first system and then bombarded the planet until all the defensive armies were gone. I tried to land my assault armies but got the message that they could not land on an uninhabitable world. The world is 95% habitability for my race. The tiles all appear occupied with the purifier race, but most of them have the icon on them to indicate that they've been destroyed.

I have no idea how to finish this empire off if I can't land my assault armies.

Screenshots please?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

iospace posted:

Screenshots please?

Okay, when I get home I'll take a few.

I'll confess that in all the time I've played with Stellaris this is the first time I've been in a war I think I can actually finish, so this is a new experience for me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lum_ posted:

um... so we can NOT talk about the Third Stimpire, the Fourth Stimpire, and Stimpire Eternal ever again, here's an interesting mod review site.

https://www.odingaming.com/stellaris-mod-roundups/

Thanks, for I have discovered this:

I am such a child.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
(latest one isn't linked for some reason: https://www.odingaming.com/2018/04/05/stellaris-mod-roundup-march-18/ )

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Had the rogue scientist event chain start while trying observing an early space age civilization. I decided to head it off at the pass and enlighten them into being a space faring civilization. I'm guess it's a bug because the event chain continued even after the civilization became my protectorate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Did the change to Titan limits push through in the final patch? I'm still stuck at 3 Titans despite having more than enough force limit, and the only mods I haven't turned off to narrow down the culprit are the two AI mods and Mod Menu.