Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I have just hit that point in my journey through C1. I don't want to fire spoilers all over the place but Sam is selling the gently caress out of it and it is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Zeratanis posted:

Except Orion, gently caress Orion. Especially with the recent crap involved with him. :v:

What's he done now?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Zeratanis posted:

Except Orion, gently caress Orion. Especially with the recent crap involved with him. :v:

Oh, there's more recent poo poo? What's he done now?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Teddybear posted:

What's the deal with Scanlan leaving in campaign one? I never watched any of it, but what were the circumstances of him bailing for a while?

It's spoilery but you have to watch so much of campaign one for context that I'll go ahead and summarize it for you:

Basically Scanlan discovered he had a daughter in like episode 40 and it kind of hosed him up because he both wanted to be there for her but also he was 100% a gently caress up and she didn't even like him. They later sorta made peace a little bit and he promised her he wouldn't die before they resolved their issues. Many, many episodes later, Scanlan died during the Thordak fight but was brought back to life mid-fight by Pike with a Revivify. It was very good. However, the next day the party chased down Raishan, the last member of the Conclave, and less than 24 hours after his first death, Scanlan died again. And Pike didn't get to him fast enough for a Revivify (because Percy had also died in the fight and his body was found first after the dust cleared). They did a ritual to bring him back as soon as they could back in Whitestone, but back in real life, Sam actually had to be somewhere else the day they were doing it so while the ritual worked, Scanlan remained unconscious. Pike and Percy played a prank on him that he would have found hilarious under any other circumstance probably (Sam later said the prank was definitely not what made Scanlan leave but it didn't help) but when Scanlan did finally wake up, he was furious.

Scanlan accused the entire party of not caring about him at all because they brought his daughter in to help resurrect him and he was humiliated that she had to see him like that after he had made a promise to her. Scanlan had always been incredibly reticent with information about himself and he was such a good liar that nobody could have ever pried anything out of him so they just gave up asking. Scanlan pointed out that none of them knew a goddamn thing about him and never asked (incorrect) but Scanlan knew everything about them (more or less correct - Sam notably had to print out a cheat sheet which the cast ribbed him about but what Sam knows and what Scanlan knows are two different things). Scanlan also yelled some incredibly cruel things at his friends, reducing Vex's personal quest to "daddy issues" or claiming they took Whitestone back just for Percy's pride, etc. Ultimately, Scanlan left in a fury because he was really hosed up about dying twice and feeling unappreciated. He was going to leave on his own but Vex convinced him to at least go with his daughter and spend time with her. And none of this even touches on the fact that Scanlan had been developing a serious drug problem and had been behaving increasingly erratically and dubiously towards NPCs like Jarrett (he altered Jarrett's memories in order to get more drugs when Jarrett, a good and loyal friend to the party and a very kind person, didn't want to acquire drugs for him).

The whole thing was super dramatic and fans were really divided over whether or not Scanlan was right and I think they missed the gray area of it all. Scanlan was right to leave because he definitely needed personal time to get his head on straight. I think he was wrong to blame the party for his personal problems and pretend like they'd never tried to learn anything about him when he lied about it constantly. It was a mess.

Malpais Legate posted:

Oh, there's more recent poo poo? What's he done now?

I don't have the details on hand but supposedly he made a sockpuppet account to harass his ex-girlfriend and try to get her blacklisted from various places (she's an actress I guess?) He accused her of being racist, homophobic, etc. and tagged people like G&S, Legendary, whatnot. She doesn't even work for Legendary.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 6, 2018

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

CuwiKhons posted:

It's spoilery but you have to watch so much of campaign one for context that I'll go ahead and summarize it for you:

Well, dang. That's some good storytelling. It's good that they have enough faith in their characters and stories to do poo poo like that.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Teddybear posted:

... woof, that's like 400 hours, though. I'm not saying I WON'T, but... it's not very likely.

Oh yeah, I guess I meant the few episodes post Thordak/Raishan up until his exit. Or search for episodes (or highlights of) #84 and #85.

But CuwiKhons gives a pretty solid summary. I'd just add that it was a glorious mess.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It was a fantastic character beat on its own merits, but even better was that before Scanlan had his moment in the episode, Sam was acting all excited like he had something cool planned and couldn't wait to get to it. Then AFTER, he was just sat there looking mopey, like he knew he just sabotaged any chance to play for a long while and was maybe regretting it..

And then the end of the exact same episode hits and the rest of the party go to Ank'Harel, have a chance meeting with someone who appears to be a semi-important NPC from the description and... bam, Sam just slams down a new character sheet and everyone freaks the gently caress out. It's probably one of my favourite episodes, period.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Dragonatrix posted:

The denouement to Thursdays episode was insanely cool and all, but it really highlighted the one big failing that Matt has a GM, insofar as CR is concerned obviously, IMO. Namely that whenever something like that is happening, he actively doesn't let anyone do anything. In this case I'm thinking more about the stuff in the High Richter's mansion; he just had this minor character setpiece ready and once it started, it might has well have been an actual non-interactive cutscene for all the difference it wouldn't have made.

I mean, i feel like those specific things come down to the players declaring that they want to do something in those moments, even just to interrupt them mid sentence or action to do a thing when not in combat, but I do agree that if he has a weakness it's in not being willing to stop or pause the plot train, I just think the onus isn't entirely on him to ask if anyone is doing anything, which I remember him doing a lot more often on Campaign 1 in similar circumstances.

I was planning to DM a campaign set in an alternate Tal'dorei where the Chroma Conclave killed Vox Machina and each dragon took over a city or area, and the players would be their evil servants basically acting as their top-level agents and spies. For some missions they would have secret orders from the primary dragon they were in service to as kind of a bonus objective. I ultimately balked at it because I didn't want to try to learn DMing in roll20 on top of barely being competent as a player and having very little voice range.

Anyway, I bring that specifically up because the one idea I had nagging at me that made me try to get it started was a scene of Allura and some Vasselheim nobility (probably their princess) meeting with Raishan in Whitestone (the city she took over) to discuss opening proper trade relations between Vasselheim and Whitestone, and more broadly Tal'dorei as a whole, and I'd just think about their dialogue going back and forth even though it would just be me as a DM rambling to myself while the party wouldn't have much to do. Plus when the party did get crashed it'd have Raishan, Kima and Allura bashing the ambushers on top of X amount of guards, so it's not like they'd be super impactful in that conflict (though maybe it'd give them a chance to carry out subtler objectives).

So as someone who had a firm idea of how a scene would go in that case (as well as a few others I had dreamed up), I think Mercer kind of does the same and gets into the roles he's playing in a story in that particular moment and basically acts as an actor first and a DM second, so kind of a fun greatest strength and greatest weakness in one there.

Oh, and since I doubt I'll turn the ship around and DM that evil "Conclave in charge" game, if you want to ask any questions at all about what I had in mind for the setting or plot please do so here because I don't have private messages on SA, I love to throw out worldbuilding details to curious people (and if I don't have to actually DM it all the better apparently), and if someone wants to DM a game with that premise on Roll20 I'd get in on that in a hot second.

I apologize for the long post as well, but I like CR too much to not really let fly with one eventually. Looking forward to tonight's episode just like everyone else is I'm sure!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I disliked Keyleth as a character, but knew a lot of the hatred was directed at Marisha more than just the character. I like Beau as a character, but get to know even more so that people are hating Beau for hating Marisha. Beau is a foil to Keyleth in that shes awkward because shes an rear end in a top hat, whereas Keyleth was an rear end in a top hat who played it off by being awkward. Beau is a solid character, her RP has been consistent, and being around Travis has allowed her to loosen up more and be herself.

Caleb and Molly are the weak points of the team currently for reasons mostly already stated but one overlooked is that this campaign started on stream without pre-stream sessions to get the characters together, so Caleb's entire character arch would've been dealt with pre-stream before now whereas these days its "when are we going to get to the fireworks factory?" Molly is just... poorly designed.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CuwiKhons posted:

I don't have the details on hand but supposedly he made a sockpuppet account to harass his ex-girlfriend and try to get her blacklisted from various places (she's an actress I guess?) He accused her of being racist, homophobic, etc. and tagged people like G&S, Legendary, whatnot. She doesn't even work for Legendary.

Jeez. Got a source on that? If it's true then gently caress him royally, but he's had a rough enough few years without getting heat for a false accusation if it's not.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

As much as I love Matt Mercer, Blood Hunters are simply not that good of a class. Molly's really weak because of it. His backstory so far seems to be that he has amnesia and doesn't understand his own abilities or where his tattoos came from or what they mean - but the problem is that his abilities aren't really noteworthy enough to be a huge mystery. The blood thing is weird but it's the kind of weird you could write off as part of his tiefling heritage if the viewers didn't know better.

I like Molly as a character but he's mechanically so weak that I almost hope he dies just so Taliesin can reroll as a better class.

GoneRampant posted:

Jeez. Got a source on that? If it's true then gently caress him royally, but he's had a rough enough few years without getting heat for a false accusation if it's not.

Yeah sure, it's this guy. There's no conclusive proof that it's Orion but he blocked literally everyone who even suggested it might be and the twitter account has gone out of its way to harass his ex-girlfriend and all his ex-friends. Could it be just a rabid fan? Sure. But Orion's been awfully silent about it.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 6, 2018

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

CuwiKhons posted:

I like Molly as a character but he's mechanically so weak that I almost hope he dies just so Taliesin can reroll as a better class.

Do not criticize new characters until they have time to take full effect!

:v:

Honestly though, he is pretty drat weak and it's unfortunate but I also blame the fact that he was playing a ranged character for almost 5 years and hasn't really had much opportunity to actually get into the thick of it. Of course I also say this not knowing at all how Blood Hunters are at higher levels compared to other martial classes.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Zeratanis posted:

Honestly though, he is pretty drat weak and it's unfortunate but I also blame the fact that he was playing a ranged character for almost 5 years and hasn't really had much opportunity to actually get into the thick of it. Of course I also say this not knowing at all how Blood Hunters are at higher levels compared to other martial classes.

The version of the class they're using is available for your review here!. Fair warning, it's unnecessarily complex and detail-y. Molly is Order of the Ghostslayer if you want to cut down on your reading. I think Matt was trying not to make the class overpowered but he went too far in the other direction - they just do not get very much cool poo poo at all. Molly won't get anything particularly notable until level 11.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
My big fear is Jester becoming one note. Constantly being chaotic will get grating if it doesnt move to something more.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah sure, it's this guy. There's no conclusive proof that it's Orion but he blocked literally everyone who even suggested it might be and the twitter account has gone out of its way to harass his ex-girlfriend and all his ex-friends. Could it be just a rabid fan? Sure. But Orion's been awfully silent about it.

ricky gervais avatar kind of says it all

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

CuwiKhons posted:

That’s some hosed up poo poo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
also lol at naming yourself after a Chaos God from Warhammer, real subtle there

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
See, from what I've seen of Orion from his twitch streams and himself talking about how CR poo poo happened, it really doesn't sound like him at all. Dude was really down on himself for ruining his relationship with Geek and Sundry/CR and didn't seem to hold any ill will towards them. That said, this was before he had to end the Draconian Knights thing, so who knows?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

The version of the class they're using is available for your review here!. Fair warning, it's unnecessarily complex and detail-y. Molly is Order of the Ghostslayer if you want to cut down on your reading. I think Matt was trying not to make the class overpowered but he went too far in the other direction - they just do not get very much cool poo poo at all. Molly won't get anything particularly notable until level 11.

As I recall, this is the buffed version, actually. I think the original version gave them a d8 hit die, which is awful for a class than self-damages to buff itself. I do like the potion path and actually ran one for a couple of sessions myself. They're filling a weird niche whereby they can easily swap in and out different damage types to take advantage of vulnerabilities, and are almost as suited to fighting undead (especially the Ghostslayer) as paladins or clerics, while thematically being very different. They're no worse than the base 5e Ranger, certainly.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

As I recall, this is the buffed version, actually. I think the original version gave them a d8 hit die, which is awful for a class than self-damages to buff itself. I do like the potion path and actually ran one for a couple of sessions myself. They're filling a weird niche whereby they can easily swap in and out different damage types to take advantage of vulnerabilities, and are almost as suited to fighting undead (especially the Ghostslayer) as paladins or clerics, while thematically being very different. They're no worse than the base 5e Ranger, certainly.

That is an incredibly low bar to clear but yes. At any rate, Matt's proven he'll adjust things in the fly to make sure nobody is under or overpowered so if Molly really ends up sucking, I'm sure Matt will compensate.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Everyone in the Mighty Nein need glasses with their history of perception checks.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Adnor posted:

Everyone in the Mighty Nein need glasses with their history of perception checks.

Except Beau, she's got some already

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why does Laura keep doing a Tali Zorah voice? It's confusing my brain

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I cannot believe that they're getting away with this.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I love Jester. :3: The accent is much better when she doesn't have the Dexter-like inflection

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Keru posted:

I cannot believe that they're getting away with this.

Decent teamwork considering it was so on the fly, no really bad rolls and they lucked out that the guards are dumb and didn't know what they had. I love that they managed to snag it and keep their consciences clear of what would become cold blooded murder after tying up the guy and talking to him.

With the gray McGuffin on top of that fat platinum stack and what are surely a nice sword and nice boots the guy they fought turned out to be about as much of a loot pinata as expected. If that phantom ability came from his equipment then that is super useful and if it's from the boots then I can see several characters who would get a lot of use out of it, whereas if it's the sword it's basically down to Molly and maybe Nott.

I kind of want them to push their luck to the extreme here and try to tack on "sneak horace out" and "get a lead box" before they go to sleep, just keep going to that slot machine because it always pays out!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

*Spend hours preparing for a frame-up only to have it go up in flames*

*Spot a group of armed guards making off with a MacGuffin and heist it on the fly*

Only in D&D.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

So which one is the real name, Mollymauk or Lucien? Or none of them?

Do we actually know anything about Molly's backstory besides that he was with the circus for a few years? The whole sacrifice thing might have been lies.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

*Spend hours preparing for a frame-up only to have it go up in flames*

*Spot a group of armed guards making off with a MacGuffin and heist it on the fly*

Only in D&D.

After the talk towards the end of the episode I now agree that Mercer kind of set them up for failure by having the big attack happen that night, since that throws all the guards and citizens into panic and basically ensures one of the two people whose houses they hit will notice that their place has been hit and probably round up and hide or destroy all the evidence they planted. I hadn't thought of that angle to it, I was just noticing the fun little swerve of "Whoops, with all this stuff going down you probably should have max looted everything, oh well."

Fun little bit of intrigue set up for next week, and I love that an object of immense power, sought by entire kingdoms, is now being held in a cute pink haversack and that they actually did get it set up with as much safety for transportation as they could at their level.

Some A+ conversations that I'm going to have to watch again too, I kind of got all I needed the first go around with sewer guy and I wasn't expecting that to be the case at all, I'm glad that so much other fun stuff happened after that.

Adnor posted:

Do we actually know anything about Molly's backstory besides that he was with the circus for a few years? The whole sacrifice thing might have been lies.

I'm convinced the only honest thing he's said so far is that he joined the circus awhile ago. It just seems like a Taliesin move to go that route. In my current 5E game I've managed to keep my true backstory and my changeling race secret from the party through about 10 sessions, and I got a big kick out of everyone spilling at least the bare bones of a very key part of their backstory that we all shared due to the unique setting and setup of the campaign, and then I just full on lied and nobody insight checked me and I got off scott free.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 6, 2018

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Adnor posted:

The ongoing theory is that the only honest thing Molly has said yet is that he's been with the circus "as long as he can remember." And that Toya was also being honest when she said he's only been with the circus for two years.

Molly isn't open about his backstory not just because he's a liar but because he literally doesn't know his backstory.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The little reference back to the last campaign was super cute.

Edit: I just went back and watched the key parts of the episode where Scanlan leaves and holy poo poo I don’t think I’ve laughed as hard as I did at the reveal in a long time. They’re so ANGRY. It’s great watching them realize what they did.

Edit 2: I might go back and watch the whole campaign just for grog. Holy poo poo.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 6, 2018

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zeratanis posted:

I ran a Blood Hunter before and I can't recommend it. Around level 6 or so I actually approached my DM and asked for permission to multiclass into Fighter because I was very obviously falling behind mechanically (it didn't help that I misunderstood my DM and was going off the preset stat pool of 15-14-14 etc when the rest of the team had rolled good stats).

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I wouldn't even consider Blood Hunter if I was making a "vampire hunter" sort of archetype. I'd sooner be a Paladin, Ranger, or even a Rogue. His Gunslinger class was pretty weak, too, basically a longbow that needed reloading and had a chance to jam.
Even the background mechanics are too niche. In almost every fiction that has undead hunters and stuff, there's always one particular trope that is "monsters hunting monsters" and hurting themselves to do so that I never resonated with. Hunter: the Reckoning comes to mind with the "Martyr", if I'm remembering correctly. Maybe not.

I do like Molly's circus background, too. And I do like that whenever the other players are asking him about circus, he answers some questions but does it in an elegant way to avoid setting some things in stone that Matt may have planned. Whenever this happens, Matt is staring intently as if he's waiting to jump in and correct some detail, but never does. I'm experimenting with letting my players do the same and potentially set small details about the world through their background with my push.

E: Arcane Trickster flavoured as sort of a Pathfinder Inquisitor would be cool. Xanathar's Inquisitive is way better.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 6, 2018

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Teddybear posted:

The little reference back to the last campaign was super cute.

Edit: I just went back and watched the key parts of the episode where Scanlan leaves and holy poo poo I don’t think I’ve laughed as hard as I did at the reveal in a long time. They’re so ANGRY. It’s great watching them realize what they did.

Edit 2: I might go back and watch the whole campaign just for grog. Holy poo poo.

There's an episode where Travis runs a game of DnD as Grog for a bunch of the other characters. No matter what Vax rolls, he fails.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Woo, pretty intense episode last night. I'm glad they confronted Nott and Caleb about the attempted theft of the scroll case, and I really think the issue was one of communication. While tough to justify in the heat of the moment, if Caleb had drawn everyone's attention to the scroll case and explain that it could be worth more than the entire payday (and the plan of "leave no trace" was already hosed), he could have talked them into it. I don't think (at least I hope) it wouldn't happen again. But who knows!

Speculation ahead, but if I were DMing this group then I would remember a couple of things: the guard that was holding the macguffin was tripped by Jester (witnessed by multiple guards) and a guard he did not recognize took the orb. Said guard then cast a spell on him (which he would know after it wore off, right?), then disappeared with the macguffin. So, worst case scenario, the higher ups probably think the device is still in the city, and there is a person of interest to find and talk to: Jester. She created the distraction that led to the disappearance of the item. I'd be careful sticking my face out in the street for the next little while.

To be honest though, it always feels like speculation is pointless since the major outside plot beats come from Mercer's head, and we have zero idea how the players will react and change the story at any given moment.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 7, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I guess my issue with Marisha is that she isn't consistent scene to scene in how she plays the character. Based on what she says and her solo scene of getting inducted into the secret anti-corruption and knowledge monk order you can see she has a character idea (a sort of anti-establishment/secrets/corruption vibe), and has also explained it to the others. She seems to play closer to this as the number of players in a scene or the scale of possible actions shrink down. Like her+Travis in the cellar with the revolutionary types she played pretty close to "yea I hate the system" + "find out some secrets".

Now take a look at the sewer drow scene, which was a 'big moment' campaign wise so in a moment like this you expect characters to be played true, especially with the DM setup: he didn't press them at all timewise, had a single fairly generic NPC instead of someone flavorful, campaign impacting decision. Why would she be pushing to kill the Drow and sell his stuff or to turn him into the guards? Like the start of the scene is "tell me your secrets" which fits character (and is annoying because she has physical investigation not social but constantly is trying to be batman), but by the end she had changed focus to money.

At the end she agrees to let him go with no weapons, but after he immediately gets ganked (because 1hp and no weapons) suddenly they need to get the cube away from the guards? Then after they steal it she expresses no more interest in it, instead wanting to finally investigate their revolutionary group (because she doesn't like being used).

The circumstances around the artifact just scream "secrets" and "empire corruption" but instead of pushing to leverage the monks following the goddess of knowledge it is instead time to focus on if they were hired as a distraction and to complain about Nott/Caleb (I found it hilarious when all the ways the group had already hosed the mission were pointed out that there was basically no rebuttle).

I guess if she is secretly a staunch pro-empire secret police type person it'd make sense, and I'd applaud her performance if that happens. I really doubt that though, because Keyleth had these same types of problems. I feel like I sound too down on her, because overall this campaign she has been a ton better, and has a lot of good character moments, but it just sort of feels like a couple of characters rolled into one instead of one character who acts differently based on the situation or is changing over the course of the game.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 7, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the other thing to bear in mind, and one that not all RP groups would do, but these guys do, is that what the character IS good at and what they THINK they're good at aren't always the same thing. Beau may be good at rooting out corruption, but Marisha has clearly decided her recent history has been basically a petty criminal who decided that she'd rather disengage with the system than fight it. Having that kind of person make decisions to push back and investigate out of instinct, only to balk later and revert back to apathy isn't necessarily inconsistent characterisation.

As a related example for how I feel people react to her: Dragon Age Inquisition has an elven archer that joins your party, Sera. I HATE SERA. She's a wannabe revolutionary who hates the feudal class system and wants to tear down the bourgousie/nobles. She also is incredibly immature and deflects any responsibility when her pranks or actions hurt others. As I say, I HATE her. She is also one of the best written characters in the game. Because she reads quite believably as an angsty teen rebel who doesn't actually want to have to make compromises or think through consequences.

I think Marisha enjoys making characters in a similar vein, characters who can be frustrating because their intended goals and their methods or approach create a friction.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Beau didn't want to turn the drow in to the guards - she wanted to hand him over to the Cobalt Soul. Her organization. Which she explicitly said has some level of separation from the Empire. Also I don't know man, the rest of the party also flip flopped wildly between "Just let him go" and "kill him and keep his glowy thing." There's also a massive difference between "Let the drow take the magical item back to his people and away from the Empire that stole it from him in the first place" and "Let the Empire re-confiscate the item we just let the drow take."

I don't know man, I didn't think she was any more inconsistent than the rest of the party.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 7, 2018

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

22 Wisdom.

Cliff dive.

Also, I'm in the EU! I can only watch on YouTube. Is there any chance we could get an 'until Monday spoiler policy' or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

poo poo, you're right. I'm sorry man.