Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I thought the finale was LOVELY. And I would watch a season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm glad it stopped being Violent Evergarden but hell I wasn't expecting it to go full Ghost in the Shell like that.

I like that the episode title is a reversal of the first episode's title.

Gilbert being alive in the novels doesn't surprise me despite how dumb it'd be in the show.

At least Dietfried was less of an rear end in a top hat too, though he's still a little hostile towards Violet.

I'd also watch a second season but that felt like a good ending anyway. Though isn't there meant to be a 14th episode / OVA thing too? The Wikipedia page for the show says it's a 14 episode series (but that could be an error?).

It also mentions this:

quote:

On April 4, 2018, the official Twitter page for the anime series revealed that the “new Violet Evergarden anime will be completely new.”

Not sure what that means, I read it as 'season 2 will be original content not from the novel' but it could be something else.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Zark the Damned posted:

Not sure what that means, I read it as 'season 2 will be original content not from the novel' but it could be something else.
That would be completely unsurprising given how much of even this first season was original content.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd bet a fair bit that the new content'll be a movie rather than a full new season - KyoAni's been making movies with a lot of their IPs lately. This particular story'll probably benefit from movie-style pacing, too.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
what the gently caress does "anti-peace faction" even mean? is it a bad translation of anarchist or insurgent or something

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SmokaDustbowl posted:

what the gently caress does "anti-peace faction" even mean? is it a bad translation of anarchist or insurgent or something

It means just that, they're a faction of ex-soldiers who are anti-peace and want the war to continue, because they're a bunch of salty dickheads who feel their government betrayed them by surrendering when if they'd continued fighting they could have won the war.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Zark the Damned posted:

It means just that, they're a faction of ex-soldiers who are anti-peace and want the war to continue, because they're a bunch of salty dickheads who feel their government betrayed them by surrendering when if they'd continued fighting they could have won the war.

the winners of the war are royalty with child brides lol

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I would watch S2 and S1 ended on a positive note.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It keeps getting brought up in this thread, so can someone in the know say how exactly the anime differed from the LNs?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I'm not a fan of the open-ended ending here, unless this is actually 14 episodes+..?

If they really wanted to close things out and cement Gilbert's death, the letter would have actually just said "I love you too". Short and with massive impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

It keeps getting brought up in this thread, so can someone in the know say how exactly the anime differed from the LNs?

The anime was a good 70-80% original content only using the premise of the book.

Basically it's telling its own story from after Violet meets the Evergarden family in the first episode except for the flashbacks which are mostly accurate to parts of the book.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 8, 2018

• Locked thread