Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
I went looking for the previous thread only to find it archived with the last post being from March of last year. When we last hear from William Patrick Corgan he was roaming the countryside making videos of his experiences. The remaining months of 2017 were not kind to William. The remasters seem to have ground to a halt right before the releases that most people desperately want remastered, the final Metro show was never released and he put out yet another solo album which failed to set the world on fire.

With Ogilala crashing and burning William tried to pull the same trick twice. He renounced his name of William, self-identified as a Billy and proclaimed he was getting the band back together in late January 2018 . As recently as a few weeks ago we are looking at an imminent release of a new Smashing Pumpkins album with a line up of Billy, James, Jimmy, and D'arcy...just loving with you. Of course anything with Billy will have drama attached to it. D'arcy will not be included in this joyous reunion, instead of trying to go for Melissa auf der Maur they will keep Jeff Schroeder who joined in 2007.

2018 is shaping up to be a prominent year for the remaining 50-60 fans that remain, rumours of the new double album in May, a summer arena tour kicking off in July, the most complete lineup since the Metro show in 2000 walked off the stage. Is there anyone left who gives a poo poo at this point? I'll probably pick up the album, hell I might travel and go to a show as apparently tickets are not moving quickly. Maybe I'll get drunk and pass out listening to 1979 while thinking of better times when the world made sense and silver pants were cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

The Zwan album was good.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
When is Billy Corgan gonna get Weinstein'd, he's such a garbage person that I can't imagine that he's not ever creeped on a woman at some point

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
RIP Madam ZuZu's and their $24 cups of tea

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
My mother in heaven thanks you for calling me Billy

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Astrochicken posted:

The Zwan album was good.

Is there anywhere to see that video of the fat kid destroying their CD anymore?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

i vaguely remember that video. a google search turned up nothing but i'm content to let it rot in the annals of history like all of Billy's post-zeitgeist output.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So who's playing bass on this tour? Jeff?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah, I think Schroeder is doing the bass duties.

More Content:

Admittedly, my interest was piqued when the shows were announced with Chamberlain and Iha back in the fold and the set list to be a "Celebration of the first five albums."

This lessened when I saw the set list and it's still pretty much play the hits with some "Drown" and "The End Is The Beginning Is the End(!?)" thrown in for good measure. Where's my "Silverfuck", or "Starla"? Hell, give me a "Jellybelly."

I will probably end up going anyway.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

After hearing D'arcy suffered a miscarriage because of Coragans fuckery he'll not get one red cent from me. Of course if he grovels and begs and apologizes (which means absolutely nothing to a man like billy) i'd probably go see them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

wait what?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

She said she had a miscarriage during Siamese Dream and that it was due to stress from him being an rear end in a top hat but that sounds a little circumstantial as far as evidence. There are a lot of reasons for miscarriages.

That said, Billy Corgan is a shithead either way.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They both seem like shitheads in their own respective ways so I have no horse in this race.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

TOOT BOOT posted:

They both seem like shitheads in their own respective ways so I have no horse in this race.

I mean obviously

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_saCkQSLyUk

Lars Ulrich interviewing Billy. The focus of the interview is pretty much exclusively music, so it's actually not too bad.

Also, sounds like new single some time before the end of May. Maybe that was mentioned elsewhere too, but I haven't been paying a lot of attention

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Astrochicken posted:

The Zwan album was good.

for a fun time see how many interviews you can track down where David Pajo says "uh yeah I have no idea why he asked me to be in that band"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

whatis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_saCkQSLyUk

Lars Ulrich interviewing Billy. The focus of the interview is pretty much exclusively music, so it's actually not too bad.

Also, sounds like new single some time before the end of May. Maybe that was mentioned elsewhere too, but I haven't been paying a lot of attention

Billy actually seems astutely aware of what's happening and how everyone perceives him which makes it kind of weird how he acts. He seems to know what he's doing (at least internally) so kudos I guess?

Band talk, I don't honestly care about D'Arcy being in the reunion. If Billy, Jimmy and James are all in and they all agreed to not let D'Arcy? I don't know, if it was just Billy we could put it up to being Billy, but everyone seems to be fine so maybe there's more at play?

Also with the leaked messages I actually side with Billy. D'Arcy wanted to go from 0-100 by jumping straight into recording and Billy wanted her to get her groove back live first. I don't understand what's wrong with that. What's wrong with wanted the best effort for a new album instead of just rolling out of bed?

I love Billy and also hate him sometimes. He still produces music I love and no amount of personality fuckery could taint my favourite albums.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Judging by what I've heard, D'Arcy has has kind of a rough life after the band split and she is probably itching to have something under her belt again. James is the one I'm really surprised came back because he actually had a reasonably successful career post Pumpkins and in his past interviews made it sound like he would probably never talk to Billy directly again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Plus James Iha is incredibly talented and shouldn't have trouble finding things to do

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

Billy actually seems astutely aware of what's happening and how everyone perceives him which makes it kind of weird how he acts. He seems to know what he's doing (at least internally) so kudos I guess?

Band talk, I don't honestly care about D'Arcy being in the reunion. If Billy, Jimmy and James are all in and they all agreed to not let D'Arcy? I don't know, if it was just Billy we could put it up to being Billy, but everyone seems to be fine so maybe there's more at play?

Also with the leaked messages I actually side with Billy. D'Arcy wanted to go from 0-100 by jumping straight into recording and Billy wanted her to get her groove back live first. I don't understand what's wrong with that. What's wrong with wanted the best effort for a new album instead of just rolling out of bed?

I love Billy and also hate him sometimes. He still produces music I love and no amount of personality fuckery could taint my favourite albums.

More like he was fine with her coming back but freaked out and pulled his offer when he realized she wasn't going to be cool with him acting like the same giant controlling manchild he was 20 years ago.

Also it's loving bass. How long do you really need to get back in your groove. It's not like he wouldn't just play the thing himself on a new record anyway.

I used to think everyone else to ever be in pumpkins was prob just better at ignoring his poo poo but then I realized Jimmy, James, Jeff ect all loving destroy Billy musically and his dumb superiority tough guy poo poo would never trigger off them so his wrath went exclusively to D'arcy.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 27, 2018

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
The single was leaked on youtube at some point today apparently, but it's since been pulled. I didn't get a chance to listen, but most reactions I've seen have been pretty meh

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I've had a tab open on ticketmaster for the concert when they come around Indianapolis.... pretty much ever since it was announced. Like I want to go, but I've been on the fence so badly. I'll probably go.

I'm a fairly new fan (fell in love with everything up to Machina a few months ago) but from as far as opinions go it seems like both Billy and D'Arcy are kind of up their own asses. I like Billy as a musician and a lyricist, but as a person I kind of cringe at a lot of the things he says. In the argument, Billy seems to make far more sense than D'Arcy who just gets hostile over it all, despite them not talking for... what, like 15 years?

I'm more interested in seeing James live honestly.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

whatis posted:

The single was leaked on youtube at some point today apparently, but it's since been pulled. I didn't get a chance to listen, but most reactions I've seen have been pretty meh

It’s officially back up on YouTube now.

It’s not as good as their old stuff, but I’d say it did sound better than a lot of the new stuff.

I’ll have to give it a couple more listens to see how it stays with me, but overall I’d say it’s a positive impression especially compared to Monuments album which in the end a lot of it just fell flat.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Matsuri posted:

I've had a tab open on ticketmaster for the concert when they come around Indianapolis.... pretty much ever since it was announced. Like I want to go, but I've been on the fence so badly. I'll probably go.

I'm a fairly new fan (fell in love with everything up to Machina a few months ago) but from as far as opinions go it seems like both Billy and D'Arcy are kind of up their own asses. I like Billy as a musician and a lyricist, but as a person I kind of cringe at a lot of the things he says. In the argument, Billy seems to make far more sense than D'Arcy who just gets hostile over it all, despite them not talking for... what, like 15 years?

I'm more interested in seeing James live honestly.

At least D'Arcy can blame drugs for being a jackass.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Oceania wasn't all that great, but it had a couple songs psychadelic and fun enough like Quasar that felt like actual Smashing Pumpkins songs, like halfway worthy of being on the same tier of pre-breakup stuff, but if their new album sounds like this new single, it sounds like Billy is trying to do some traditional rock album that's going to be boring as gently caress like Zeitgeist Which I'm completely uninterested in.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
the song is pretty whatever but jesus christ is it awesome to hear Jimmy Chamberlain again.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Oceania wasn't all that great, but it had a couple songs psychadelic and fun enough like Quasar that felt like actual Smashing Pumpkins songs, like halfway worthy of being on the same tier of pre-breakup stuff, but if their new album sounds like this new single, it sounds like Billy is trying to do some traditional rock album that's going to be boring as gently caress like Zeitgeist Which I'm completely uninterested in.

The Oceania stuff was boring as hell live. There were a few tours they did around that album, and I know for one of them the set list opened with a ton of new material and was not engaging at all. Maybe I was biased by not being super familiar with the new record back then, but even now it's one I rarely return to give a spin. Zeitgeist was a tire fire for sure, but at least that one song they were going to apparently melt faces with on the joint Manson tour sounded like it was going to be cool until they blew out the PA at our venue.

Pretty sure the song was "United States"?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

New single sounds like Rick Rubin loathes Billy and is trying to end his career for good.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Quick take on Solara: It sounds like a B-side from Zeitgeist right up to the production. Billy has managed to generate ~70 seconds of music and lyrics and then repeated it another 3 times to pad out the length of the song. Billy has been plagued with lovely production for everything after Zwan, he keeps bringing his voice way too loud into the mix.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Space Cadet posted:

Quick take on Solara: It sounds like a B-side from Zeitgeist right up to the production. Billy has managed to generate ~70 seconds of music and lyrics and then repeated it another 3 times to pad out the length of the song. Billy has been plagued with lovely production for everything after Zwan, he keeps bringing his voice way too loud into the mix.

That's pretty much how i feel about it. The vocals are and have been stealing the action from the guitars. Oh well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah the production and mixing on everything lately has been terrible

"Solara" would be an alright instrumental, Billy just sounds so bad in it.

It's a bit fart-rocky too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have much confidence in anything that Billy puts his hands on after 2000. I liked the older stuff where his voice is a bit more drowned in the instruments. Don't really know if there's a specific term for that style but I strongly prefer it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Matsuri posted:

I don't have much confidence in anything that Billy puts his hands on after 2000. I liked the older stuff where his voice is a bit more drowned in the instruments. Don't really know if there's a specific term for that style but I strongly prefer it.

It was lifted from shoegaze.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Trip report: Listened to Melancholy last night while making dinner and it's still good. I'm also old.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It was lifted from shoegaze.

yeah, the first time i heard "Rocket" was in a loud club with the bass boosted and I legit thought it was a Jesus and Mary Chain song (edit: well, I thought it was a JAMC ripoff, to be more accurate)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Guess I need to look into shoegaze.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Siamese Dream is very much a shoegaze record at least half the time. Gish and Mellon Collie (and everything else), not so much.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I listened to Solara this morning and holy poo poo, I absolutely agree with the Zeitgeist b-side comment.

Also, I really loved Aeronaut. The rest of the songs, whatever, but that one is one of my favourites.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

precision posted:

Siamese Dream is very much a shoegaze record at least half the time. Gish and Mellon Collie (and everything else), not so much.

A lot of Pisces Iscariot plays in that space as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hatelull posted:

A lot of Pisces Iscariot plays in that space as well.

Pisces Iscariot would've made a wonderful second disc to Siamese Dream, with a minimal amount of technical cleanup/additional mixing.