Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

St Evan Echoes posted:

company has been crowing about how amazing the new building is going to be, every conceivable facility for 450 people over 3 floors

it has 1 (one) meeting room

how many bathrooms it have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

there's probably enough, but none on the middle floor for some reason

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

carry on then posted:

how many bathrooms it have?

more than the 3 in our current building

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

double lol at one meeting room between 450 people.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

has anyone else noticed that recruiter contacts seem to come in waves? late last year to maybe january my linkedin has been pretty quiet and now it's been exploding over the past two months even though i haven't done anything. new budget so everyone is suddenly hiring again?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

No one hires over the holidays and budget approvals are rolling in come springtime

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

qhat posted:

double lol at one meeting room between 450 people.

Its cool, teams will just have meetings in their work area.

The office is no doubt open so other teams will get to listen in, this increases collaboration.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

ADINSX posted:

The office is no doubt open so other teams will get to listen in, this increases collaboration.

And productivity for sure.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

ADINSX posted:

this is way too real for me.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

people need to receive peopleware as mandatory reading

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PokeJoe posted:

No one hires over the holidays and budget approvals are rolling in come springtime

springtime is also post-bonus season, so it is the peak moment for people to leave their jobs

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

St Evan Echoes posted:

company has been crowing about how amazing the new building is going to be, every conceivable facility for 450 people over 3 floors

it has 1 (one) meeting room
What's the nominal capacity of the meeting room?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

What's the nominal capacity of the meeting room?
probably about 20-25

they have “collaboration spaces” which have room for about 4 people, also no doors

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they made about half of our "huddle rooms" worthless by putting in lounge chairs and no tables lmao

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

springtime is also post-bonus season, so it is the peak moment for people to leave their jobs
lol we lost >5% of the office in the month after bonus payouts this year

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

The Leck posted:

lol we lost >5% of the office in the month after bonus payouts this year

I fully expect this to happen at my current place. our bonuses come out in about a month

everyone I know well enough to talk to outside of work is at least casually looking for other jobs, and I suspect several of the ones I don't know well enough to trust me with that info

only exceptions are a dude who's like 3 years away from being able to retire, and a guy with a super high bus factor on multiple products and can therefore pretty much do anything he wants

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
interview with startup B went pretty well (I think), will have a decision by Tuesday, and then interview with startup A on Wednsday

the deeper into this job hunt i go, the less i want to leave my current team, i think its going to need to be a significant (>40%) increase in base salary to actually move

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Valeyard posted:

interview with startup B went pretty well (I think), will have a decision by Tuesday, and then interview with startup A on Wednsday

the deeper into this job hunt i go, the less i want to leave my current team, i think its going to need to be a significant (>40%) increase in base salary to actually move

next time try interviewing with real companies instead of startups

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Calling them startups is generous, both have been around for 7/8 years and values at over a billion dollars

I've mentioned it before but I'm already working for a big company

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
But they are underpaying me

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Valeyard posted:

But they are underpaying me

This is not consistent with wanting to stay at that company.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Job hunting is garbage but don't let that deter you from levelling up your pay stubs.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love the people I work with, but they aren't paying my bills I know, but it's still hard to leave

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Valeyard posted:

I love the people I work with, but they aren't paying my bills I know, but it's still hard to leave

You can always solicit a counter-offer.

It's not always a good idea, but it can work. Hypothetically. (I have never taken the counter-offer.)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

It's not always a good idea, but it can work. Hypothetically. (I have never taken the counter-offer.)

I plan on doing this with my current job, if I get an offer from the six figures place. I wouldn't mind staying if they made a significant counter-offer. But I don't think they will because they already do not know how to value labor.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Based on previous comments your current place sounded awful. Why stay?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Valeyard posted:

i had this exact same hangup over my last job. it's not worth it

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have and it backfired horrifically. i wouldn't do it unless you have a very good relationship with your employer with a long history of strong mutual trust.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rex-Goliath posted:

i had this exact same hangup over my last job. it's not worth it

i have and it backfired horrifically. i wouldn't do it unless you have a very good relationship with your employer with a long history of strong mutual trust.

It's not worth leaving or not worth staying?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I wouldn't rule it out, but anecdotaly speaking I know from a few people who left recently that the counter offers they got weren't particularly great vs the competing offer

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
it's never worth staying after a counter-offer. if you've proven to your current employer that you can get a new job, why would they assume that any amount of money would keep you for an appreciable length of time? even if you do stay, you're probably at the top of the list for getting shuffled out in a re-organization.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

So apparently there's a lot more than Mindgeek doing the dirty in Montreal.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Valeyard posted:

It's not worth leaving or not worth staying?

not worth staying. you can find a job that's just as rewarding and is actually run by people that value your contributions

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Don't accept counter offers. Also if you like your coworkers that's cool, go out for beers with them after you get a new better and higher paying job. You can buy a round!

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

it's never worth staying after a counter-offer. if you've proven to your current employer that you can get a new job, why would they assume that any amount of money would keep you for an appreciable length of time? even if you do stay, you're probably at the top of the list for getting shuffled out in a re-organization.

Anecdotally, I've seen where the policy for requests for pay raises are much more restrictive than pay raises for employee retention. In a large business your pay checks are not coming out of the supervisor's pocket, so he will submit your pay raise without holding it against you in the future. The beuracracy just wants the counter offer box checked before approving large salary increases. In their eyes they are paying you fairly because you signed the offer letter.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

how far into the interview process should i mention my retention bonus at my current place?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
it's part of the compensation discussion. I had a similar situation with some commission I'd forgo when I was leaving a job so I approached it as a 'make good' - I'm going to be out X, what's the best way of dealing with it so that I'm not out of pocket. in my case it translated to a little more base salary that would cover the gap in 18 months.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

it's part of the compensation discussion. I had a similar situation with some commission I'd forgo when I was leaving a job so I approached it as a 'make good' - I'm going to be out X, what's the best way of dealing with it so that I'm not out of pocket. in my case it translated to a little more base salary that would cover the gap in 18 months.
Also common is to offer you a larger signing bonus to compensate you for what you're giving up by leaving.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lwoodio posted:

Anecdotally, I've seen where the policy for requests for pay raises are much more restrictive than pay raises for employee retention. In a large business your pay checks are not coming out of the supervisor's pocket, so he will submit your pay raise without holding it against you in the future. The beuracracy just wants the counter offer box checked before approving large salary increases. In their eyes they are paying you fairly because you signed the offer letter.

retention pay is always 100% of the time better than a raise in $$$ terms

the major question is whether you will still have a career after soliciting and accepting the counter-offer. that's much harder to reason about.i have known one very good example, and several very bad

you gotta feel that poo poo out on your own. there are no easy rules about it. a person has to have a really good, strong rapport with the boss to think a counter-offer is a good idea, and this thread can't, uh, help.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i am a fortune 500 motherfucker.

prick me, and i bleed tps reports

this is my thing, come at me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HoboMan posted:

how far into the interview process should i mention my retention bonus at my current place?

depends -- is your retention bonus a counter-offer, or an annual item?

if it is the latter, mention it as soon as you have reached an impasse in negotiations. "well this all sounds pretty, but also my current employer is diligent and consistent in annual retention bonuses coming to X%/Y$..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I’ve yet to see a retention offer go through, word is wind and all

I guess if you get it in writing and is ready to walk but again why not just walk?