Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
PC games coming in those big square cardboard boxes with a jewel case in the middle was one thing but what I liked was how all the Lego games came with a minifigure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had Civilization for the PS1 and late game it would take like ten minutes to process the AI turns.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Randaconda posted:

I had Civilization for the PS1 and late game it would take like ten minutes to process the AI turns.

Same thing with the X-com games on PS1 during the aliens turn. You never knew if the game had crashed or if it was processing for what felt like 20-30 minutes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
First ad in a WildStorm comic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darthemed posted:

First ad in a WildStorm comic.

I see neither grey OR blue on that cover :colbert:.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I am not ashamed to admit that I liked the Spin Doctors and that was the coolest thing I've never seen. I guess I'm too old to have seen that episode (I'm 39) but it was awesome. The lead singer of the Spin Doctors is just the right age to have grown up with Sesame Street so he'd have seen the puppets as real like I do. Very cute.

I miss Sesame Street. My kids used to watch it, but it just doesn't have the same charm as the old stuff. Now, they're 11 and 10 so they aren't interested any more. I used to play them the old stuff when they were really little, but now they're only into Anime and live-streaming gamers.

Sigh... Now I feel old.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Since Toys R Us is going down soon, they should let people run through there with a cart for five minutes and go to town.

I always wanted to do that. I always wished there was one kid who made a b line for the action figures and just grabbed the whole isle. But they wanted bikes and video games. Pfff.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

CelticPredator posted:

Since Toys R Us is going down soon, they should let people run through there with a cart for five minutes and go to town.

I always wanted to do that. I always wished there was one kid who made a b line for the action figures and just grabbed the whole isle. But they wanted bikes and video games. Pfff.

Nah, they're going to use one of those awful liquidation companies that mark everything up to full price, and then tag everything like it's a fire sale, slowly bringing down prices over a month until the sadness hanging over the store is so palpable it permanently and invisibly stains anything you might have bought for 5% less than its President's Day sale price would have been.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I bet you one of these Toys R' Us stores has an atomic purple N64 controller in the back, lost to time.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Nah, they're going to use one of those awful liquidation companies that mark everything up to full price, and then tag everything like it's a fire sale, slowly bringing down prices over a month until the sadness hanging over the store is so palpable it permanently and invisibly stains anything you might have bought for 5% less than its President's Day sale price would have been.

This, right here. My wife and I went to the local Babies 'R' Us "everything must go" liquidation sale and only as handful of items were marked down, and even then, only an astounding 10%.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wrath of The Gods!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brzB9CFd1Pg

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Beastie posted:

I bet you one of these Toys R' Us stores has an atomic purple N64 controller in the back, lost to time.

i still remember my EXTREME GREEN game boy pocket, a toys r us exclusive :c00l:

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

OutOfPrint posted:

This, right here. My wife and I went to the local Babies 'R' Us "everything must go" liquidation sale and only as handful of items were marked down, and even then, only an astounding 10%.

We did the same thing. Clothes were 20% off so we did end up getting some non-Carter’s sleepers since we needed more for our daughter. I think the Gerber ones ended up being $8 for 2.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FinnDiesel
Feb 13, 2013

Bullshit, David Hasselhoff would be Nick Fury

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
God, I'd love to see Rocket Raccoon played by Joe Pesci.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The only thing about those images is that I don't see a lot of them actually being likely in the 90s. (I know, it's a fan casting thing)

I would probably say that some things should be flipped around, though. The Falcon and War Machine castings, for example. Cruise probably wouldn't be able to have the snarkiness of RDJr, so you'd probably at least want to pair him with an actor who could channel that, and that might be Murphy. Meanwhile, Pitt's Cap would probably prefer a more friendly neighborhood Falcon in the form of Cuba.

I don't think Keanu would have worked as Strange in the 90s, but Giancarlo Espisito probably would have been great in the part in the 90s. He wasn't doing Harvey Dent anymore, so just picture if you will Billy Dee Williams being Sorceror Supreme in the mid-80s or early 90s.

edit: Early 80s Billy Dee as Dr. Strange with the effects and energy of that era of fantasy-adventure-action film. drat it. I really want this now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

JediTalentAgent posted:

The only thing about those images is that I don't see a lot of them actually being likely in the 90s. (I know, it's a fan casting thing)

I would probably say that some things should be flipped around, though. The Falcon and War Machine castings, for example. Cruise probably wouldn't be able to have the snarkiness of RDJr, so you'd probably at least want to pair him with an actor who could channel that, and that might be Murphy. Meanwhile, Pitt's Cap would probably prefer a more friendly neighborhood Falcon in the form of Cuba.

I don't think Keanu would have worked as Strange in the 90s, but Giancarlo Espisito probably would have been great in the part in the 90s. He wasn't doing Harvey Dent anymore, so just picture if you will Billy Dee Williams being Sorceror Supreme in the mid-80s or early 90s.

edit: Early 80s Billy Dee as Dr. Strange with the effects and energy of that era of fantasy-adventure-action film. drat it. I really want this now.
In the 90s there's also no way that Arnold takes second (if that) billing to Brendan Frasier.

Also as a comic nerd, the Nick Fury thing also makes me laugh because the whole reason Samuel Jackson plays Nick Fury is because of a series of popular Marvel alternate universe comics that were published in the early 2000s. There's literally no way they cast a black man as the head of a high-tech spy organization in 1991.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Colin Powell was like one of the highest ranking and most prestigious military guys in 1990.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mu Zeta posted:

Colin Powell was like one of the highest ranking and most prestigious military guys in 1990.

Yeah but casting wise...black people were still often regulated to kooky sidekicks unless there was a "reason" for them to be black, such as the character being black in the comics (Steel and Spawn come to mind)

In the 90s Nick Fury would totally be a middle aged white dude because thats how the comics still represented him at the time.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I'm crushed this doesn't exist

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

How much did they pay for the flaming giraffes?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Hasselehoff is Nick Fury because he literally was Nick Fury in the 90's. :thejoke:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ryonguy posted:

Hasselehoff is Nick Fury because he literally was Nick Fury in the 90's. :thejoke:

I never knew this got made. Im sure for good reason.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There was always a fan thought in the 90s that Charlton Heston could have been a good Nick Fury. Even at his age at the time, if he was just given the range of stuff to do that Jackson has been expected to in the films, he'd probably have been okay.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

NorgLyle posted:

In the 90s there's also no way that Arnold takes second (if that) billing to Brendan Frasier.

I was about to bring that up, too.

I'm trying to think of really buff or big muscular actors in the 90s, though. Hulk Hogan was having some fluctuating film roles and doing a lot of it with a comedic tone, so I could see him more being Drax. Bonus points when they'd finally do Infinity War and Hulk Hogan/Drax has to interact with whoever is playing Hulk. Goldberg and Stone Cold were both doing some acting in the 90s, so one of them likely could have been Drax.

In the 90s, a CG Hulk would either look really bad, be too expensive or they'd have to do a TV series gimmick of switching actors in and out of the role. Tim Robbins might have made a good Banner in the 90s, but he's maybe unfortunately way too tall at 6'5". On the plus side to that, if they filmed Banner scenes to intentionally make him look smaller, by just putting him in some prosthetics, a bodysuit and make-up he could possibly play the role of Hulk as well and tower over a lot of the other actors.

Tom Hanks in the mid-90s as Reed Richards, too.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
And they could have Incorporated the X-Men with Iman as Storm and Telly Savalas as Professor X.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I feel like the true lost bit of casting perfection is Peter Weller as Reed Richards.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm trying to think of really buff or big muscular actors in the 90s, though. Hulk Hogan was having some fluctuating film roles and doing a lot of it with a comedic tone, so I could see him more being Drax. Bonus points when they'd finally do Infinity War and Hulk Hogan/Drax has to interact with whoever is playing Hulk. Goldberg and Stone Cold were both doing some acting in the 90s, so one of them likely could have been Drax.

Trouble is it would've been 90s Drax who was a big green and purple guy in a cape with the mind of a child.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Since someone mentioned the X-Men, I present the '95 Fleer Ultra Spring Break series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Legin Noslen posted:

Since someone mentioned the X-Men, I present the '95 Fleer Ultra Spring Break series.

Storm, why are you trying to ruin everyone's nice day out with rain clouds? That's just mean :colbert:.

edit: Also oh god, what happened to Jubilee's face?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: Also oh god, what happened to Jubilee's face?

Don't you mean Jubliee?

Quality products right there.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Logan, have you been using your claws to handle all the meat? Don't care, dude! Healing factor or not, you don't wash those things after they pop out or you kill someone!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZpWmgPPqg

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Legin Noslen posted:

Oh my god. I have some of these somewhere in my basement right now. gently caress, I should dig that whole binder out. ‘90s Marvel cards all over the place.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

JediTalentAgent posted:

Logan, have you been using your claws to handle all the meat? Don't care, dude! Healing factor or not, you don't wash those things after they pop out or you kill someone!

As soon as he pulls his claws back in, his super-immune system kills the layer of AIDS on them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I miss Celebrity Deathmatch :sigh:.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Pneub posted:

As soon as he pulls his claws back in, his super-immune system kills the layer of AIDS on them.

According to the comics, I think they revealed a few years ago that X-Gene carriers can't get HIV/AIDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Legin Noslen posted:

Ah yes, right alongside the "Marvel Illustrated Swimsuit Issue" annuals, which were peak 90s cheesecake and beefcake pinups with bad puns and cringey captions ("Domino delivers, eh, Cable? Remember, if she takes more than a half hour, it's free!") I'm pretty sure Jim Lee never needed an excuse to draw She-Hulk one-handed, but at least this stuff had a theme.