Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Saving Private Ryan didn't deserve to win either, should've gone to The Thin Red Line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which one did it beat that evoked classic adventure movies?
None that I know of. I'm saying I'd rather see more films that are like a past age of Hollywood than are literally about it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I know it’s like beating a dead horse this point, but the Academy has repeatedly cemented themselves as being grossly out of touch with what constitutes important cinema. Neither Hitchcock or Kubrick got best director. Samuel L. Jackson’s performance in Pulp Fiction lost to Martin Landau in Ed Wood. The list goes on and on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Saving Private Ryan didn't deserve to win either, should've gone to The Thin Red Line.

Academy Award for Best Actor-winner Roberto Benigni (Life Is Beautiful) will forever remain one of the "You sure about that?" choices in the history of the awards.

Also up that year were Tom Hanks (Saving Private Ryan), Ian McKellen (Gods and Monsters), Nick Nolte (Affliction) and Edward Norton (American History X).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

Not in the Action Thread it doesn't, pal!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Not in the Action Thread it doesn't, pal!

Fury Road should've swept the Oscars including Best Picture and Best Actress for Theron. There I made up for it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Huge snub that Van Damme’s spinkicks never got the best supporting actor nom.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fart City posted:

Huge snub that Van Damme’s spinkicks never got the best supporting actor nom.

Indeed. Especially after they won all those Blockbuster Entertainment Awards.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
And the Academy Award for Best Feature Film goes too... that scene in Timecop where Van Damme does the splits on his kitchen counter to avoid getting electrocuted!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Indeed. Especially after they won all those Blockbuster Entertainment Awards.

I worked at Blockbuster for a while and we carried like four different movies where the plot was Jean Claude van Damme must stop and evil version of himself (Maximum Risk was in theaters but the rest were DTV).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Seagal believed that On Deadly Ground was going to be his big awards-bait prestige piece.

Now, there's no real evidence that he thought that, but by the same token, there's no evidence (real or otherwise) that he didn't either.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really there's no evidence that Steven Seagal even existed at all. Makes you think.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

On Deadly Ground is absolutely Steven Seagal’s Dances With Wolves.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fart City posted:

I know it’s like beating a dead horse this point, but the Academy has repeatedly cemented themselves as being grossly out of touch with what constitutes important cinema. Neither Hitchcock or Kubrick got best director. Samuel L. Jackson’s performance in Pulp Fiction lost to Martin Landau in Ed Wood. The list goes on and on.
It is a dead horse, but yeah, the Academy Awards are a great snapshot of what's making a very specific demographic feel good about themselves this year.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Fart City posted:

I don't think Samuel l Jackson's performance needing an Oscar is really the hill you want to die on

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I saw Dances With Wolves and Waterworld a few million years ago, and didn't touch another Costner movie until recently (in the discount bin). Three Days To Kill is a bit goofy (spy with terminal cancer goes on last mission in return for drug that delays death for a bit, but also gives him seizures when it wears off). Criminal is less goofy, and he does a good job of being confused as hell (psycho prisoner gets brain-print from dying spy via computer, in hopes of getting location of the McGuffin; prisoner escapes but calls on phone when the spy-print starts showing up). I was pleasantly surprised. Not blockbuster material, but actual action movies with a lead who can act better than my hero, Dolph Lundgren. (Don't tell him I said that.)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

There's a good movie in The Thin Red Line, but it didn't get released.

Neo Rasa posted:

I worked at Blockbuster for a while and we carried like four different movies where the plot was Jean Claude van Damme must stop and evil version of himself (Maximum Risk was in theaters but the rest were DTV).

Jean Claude Van Damme only co stars with Jean Claude Van Damme.

gently caress you, that's why.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seagal believed that On Deadly Ground was going to be his big awards-bait prestige piece.

Now, there's no real evidence that he thought that, but by the same token, there's no evidence (real or otherwise) that he didn't either.

On Deadly Ground owns because, at the end, after two hours of exceptionally brutal killing (even by Seagal standards) the film ends with him giving five minute speech about alternative energy. Literally just five minutes of Seagal talking about alternative energy.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

a lead who can act better than my hero, Dolph Lundgren. (Don't tell him I said that.)

Lundgren is so adorably self deprecating I really don't think he'd mind. He had that great quote, something like 'I was a movie star first, then I learned how to be an actor'

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hey, don't knock action twin movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

No one is. Double Impact was the second time I saw boobs in a movie. It's great. Though, for years, I'd only seen the first twenty minutes and the sex scene. I cannot explain this.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

brocked posted:

I don't think Samuel l Jackson's performance needing an Oscar is really the hill you want to die on

Never planted a flag, my dude. But if you want to go to bat for Landau as being more relevant to cinematic history, step up to the plate.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

Lundgren is so adorably self deprecating I really don't think he'd mind. He had that great quote, something like 'I was a movie star first, then I learned how to be an actor'

You're probably right. I swear that man was scientifically designed to push all my buttons, so he'd probably be humble-ish instead of an egomaniac. :kimchi:

:tinfoil: Why do Manliness Scientists want to push my buttons??? :tinfoil:

Actually, he's older than I am. Oh god, was I scientifically designed to have buttons pushable by HIM????

GoodyTwoShoes fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 6, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

You're probably right. I swear that man was scientifically designed to push all my buttons, so he'd probably be humble-ish instead of an egomaniac. :kimchi:

:tinfoil: Why do Manliness Scientists want to push my buttons??? :tinfoil:

Actually, he's older than I am. Oh god, was I scientifically designed to have buttons pushable by HIM????

You know that theory that Jared Leto is actually a fan fic that came to life? I'm pretty sure Lundgren is a GI Joe character.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Just on Kevin Costner he is still frequently in movies so I don't know what that talk was about (how did you not see Hidden Figures wtf) but one most probably haven't seen is Criminal, where he plays a psychotic serial killer implanted with the memories of hero dead agent Ryan Reynolds and trusted to complete his mission. And he meets his wife and all that. Pretty good performance and quite an interesting movie all around.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You talking about winner of the Saturn Award for Best Action or Adventure Film Hidden Figures?

I haven't seen it but if it's a "best action or adventure film" then I think I may have to. :v:

(HOW?)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Haha you weren't kidding. Well it does involve the action of a space launch and the adventure of being a black woman fighting oppression in the 1960s?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's probably because the Saturn Awards people love NASA and desperately wanted to award it but didn't have a suitable category to nominate it in.

Of all the semi-notable awards shows, the Saturns must be the worst about staying within the genre they assigned themselves. Noted science-fiction/fantasy/horror series Breaking Bad has a bunch of Saturn Awards, for instance. Still not as egregious as Hidden Figures winning "best action/adventure movie" though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How's Tomb Raider? I see that walton goggins is in it, thats the only reason i might go see it

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Tomb Raider's perfectly competent but unremarkable. Diverting enough if you don't have high standards. If you like Goggins I guess you would enjoy his role as the villain, again it's a pretty standard bad guy character though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kurtofan posted:

How's Tomb Raider? I see that walton goggins is in it, thats the only reason i might go see it

It’s the film equivalent of a neuralizer.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

You talking about winner of the Saturn Award for Best Action or Adventure Film Hidden Figures?

I haven't seen it but if it's a "best action or adventure film" then I think I may have to. :v:

(HOW?)

It's obviously not action or adventure, but it's a wonderful movie that is worth seeing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not really keen on biopics despite/because of (delete as appropriate) watching Ray on a weekly basis when I was in school. :v:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Spends way too long on the uninteresting half of the movie. The tomb raiding itself is pretty good, though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Yesterday’s Waterworld chat jostled the memory of another 90’s gonzo sci-if action flick: No Escape:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YYL10FtU_Bo

Ever wanted to see Ray Liotta fight some future barbarian cannibals on a prison island? Now you can.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 6, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Me and a friend stumbled on No Escape when it was on like HBO or Showtime back in the mid-90s when it would've just come out on home video. hosed our heads right up, we had seen very few rated R movies at that point.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

Me and a friend stumbled on No Escape when it was on like HBO or Showtime back in the mid-90s when it would've just come out on home video. hosed our heads right up, we had seen very few rated R movies at that point.

Same. I have very vivid memories of the graphic death of the villain getting seared into my brain at a very young age.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

No Escape is like, ALMOST amazing but it's so, uh, 90s TV mini-series? I don't know how to describe it but the pacing just feels so weird in it. I loving love it of course for likely already mentioned reasons and some of the action and actually having a decent budget for such a premise.

It got a halfway decent video game too that was sort of a more actiony Prince of Persia. Stiff controls but in between levels you'd go back to to the hub area and chat with Lance Henriksen/Ernie Hudson/Otho to trade items you found to get/craft other gear to let you progress further. Legit good SNES soundtrack too both on the SNES and Genesis. It's a janky licensed game but interesting because you can see how some thought was put into it beyond just cashing in. One of the rarest games on either system that actually got an official release but IIRC it's never that expensive because it is still a janky licensed game at heart.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
No Escape can't escape from it's comrade in 90s prison sci-fi shlock, Fortress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U6oLx3xy8s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ynohtna posted:

No Escape can't escape from it's comrade in 90s prison sci-fi shlock, Fortress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U6oLx3xy8s

This would be an amazing double feature come to think of it.

Fortress is so awesomely weird and ambitious but stupid at the same time, it's amazing. :3:

There was a direct to video sequel, Fortress 2: Re-Entry where Lambert returns leading a resistance movement against the corporations but he of course is caught and imprisoned in a new Fortress that's a space station. It's very :lol: because it's one of those late 80s/early 90s space stations that looks suspiciously like a dark warehouse and none of the technology or advanced weapons/cyborgs/etc. from the first movie are to be seen anywhere, but it's on a space station.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 6, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I had forgotten how much fun of a cast No Escape had. Lance Henrikson! Ernie Hudson! Kevin Dillon! Kevin J. O’Connor! The guy who played Mayor Ebert in Godzilla 98!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone else seen Lambert's late 90s sci-fi version of Beowulf?