Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Put lion on the defending team and have his drone only scan people moving outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'd just fundamentally like it reworked.

It's not it's too good (though it is), it's that it's an ability that doesn't create new or interesting dynamics, or decision points, it's just 'your team plays the game less for X time'. By contrast with Dokka, whose ability at least isn't automatically fatal if you choose to continue with your phone ringing, it's a guaranteed death sentence, especially (as it's been most commonly used) after objective is taken.

I'm just keen on abilities that create more decisions, or make your team play more, rather than their team play less.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
it's kinda hilarious that lion's ability had 1 more charge than dokkabae's on top of not having a cast time (I mean, it technically does, but a flick of the wrist compared to pulling out the phone and selecting names and pushing a button)

tjones
May 13, 2005
Here is an idea: take both lion and finka out of the game when the zombie mode goes away. Give us the poland map that ubi forgot about and two new operators at the end of the season.

They hosed up. Best thing to do would be to start over. There is no way to make lion not poo poo without a complete fundamental rework. Having finka gone would be a blessing too, there's a lot of troll potential for an operator that controls how much damage other operators take without the other players having a say so in whether or not they want the stim. Zero recoil and a buff to damage is also poo poo design from a balance perspective.

Ubi could turn this around by admitting they hosed up and cutting it all out to try again.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Great Beer posted:

Put lion on the defending team and have his drone only scan people moving outside.

Nah, that would be too limited. Just put him on the defending team with two charges and a 20s cooldown, make the ability start on cooldown so he can't use it immediately to know which spawn attackers are in, and make it so only he can see outlines.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 5, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jack Trades posted:

What do you want to do about Thermite/Hibana and Thatcher then?

BTW Jack I think you might have psychic powers because last night on Pro League the two commentators (Kix and another dude I don't know) started going OFF on Hibana, for like 5 minutes pre-game they were like "she has an insane pick rate, she has two incredible weapons, she's speed 3, she obsoletes Thermite in a lot of maps, her gadget is arguably better 90% of the time anyway, wtf why hasn't something been done about her?"

Edit: Also to jump back in on Lion chat, either he should be 100% out of action while he scans (and maybe have to go outside to do it, thus basically REALLY pushing his "support" role) or only Lion should be able to see the outlines, there's simply no way to make "universal wallhacks across the whole map for the whole team at the press of a button" balanced. Not gonna happen.

Also this meta has absolutely sucked in Pro League, it's so boring to watch. Defenders are always on their back foot and cool roams rarely pay off, plus all the map strats are super-static and boring.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 5, 2018

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

What's Mira's pickrate on the defence? She's got a literal game defining gadget, the gun with the highest rate of fire in the drat game, nitro for cheeky kills outside window ledges, around corners, over cover, etc, AND comes with a secondary shotgun for remodelling without compromising your effectiveness at long distances.

Some characters are just designed to be core to the game. I figure Mira and Hibana don't get adjusted because it is seen as intentional the way the game warps around their existence. Whichever group makes the big balance decisions sees ranged breaching and defender one-way sightlines as an improvement to the game. With that... I guess thermite is intended to be the guy you pick when you want two really big holes instead of one, even if that merits picking him a quarter of the time of Hibana.

Inverse of this: Frost is my favourite op but goddamn I hate her guns, hate she can't have impact grenades, hate her guns, and resent Mira getting both mirrors and vector. I accept my place in life because they don't want the trap operator to have a gun powerful enough to become a game definer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Captainicus posted:

What's Mira's pickrate on the defence? She's got a literal game defining gadget, the gun with the highest rate of fire in the drat game, nitro for cheeky kills outside window ledges, around corners, over cover, etc, AND comes with a secondary shotgun for remodelling without compromising your effectiveness at long distances.

Some characters are just designed to be core to the game. I figure Mira and Hibana don't get adjusted because it is seen as intentional the way the game warps around their existence. Whichever group makes the big balance decisions sees ranged breaching and defender one-way sightlines as an improvement to the game. With that... I guess thermite is intended to be the guy you pick when you want two really big holes instead of one, even if that merits picking him a quarter of the time of Hibana.

Inverse of this: Frost is my favourite op but goddamn I hate her guns, hate she can't have impact grenades, hate her guns, and resent Mira getting both mirrors and vector. I accept my place in life because they don't want the trap operator to have a gun powerful enough to become a game definer.

Mira was always in top 3 most picked defenders in pro league (I think she was like, THE most picked defender except for the times when Ela was OP).

Also what the hell are you smoking Frost's SMG totally rocks.
I've been playing a roaming Frost with a silenced SMG a bunch lately and it's really fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mira's pickrate will go down when they introduce that defense operator that bulletproofs cameras, particularly if he/she can bulletproof Black Eyes.

Certain roles are really good. Hard Breacher on Attacker and Visually See Attackers on Defender are really powerful roles. And it just so happens that Mira and Valkerie are the only two ops that can do that, and Mira has a couple of huge advantages over Valk (imo) and Hibana has huge advantages over Thermite.

Edi: I want to see the Polish map but I also want to see Pro League play some matches on Tower/Skycraper/Theme Park, freakin' sucks that 1/3rd of the map pool isn't played.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 5, 2018

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

tjones posted:

Here is an idea: take both lion and finka out of the game when the zombie mode goes away. Give us the poland map that ubi forgot about and two new operators at the end of the season.

Yeah, please give us a map where we assault the submarine with a screen door .

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Mira's pickrate will go down when they introduce that defense operator that bulletproofs cameras, particularly if he/she can bulletproof Black Eyes.

No she won't. Valkyrie is a little more flexible than Mira, but unlike Mira she's hard countered by Dokkaebi, and her gun is a pathetic peashooter. Good for headshots, but I got sick of losing trades and switched to an operator with a real gun. Valkyrie needs a buff before she's ever a real competitor to Mira, and so far she's only gotten stealth nerfs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Agree to disagree, I think three bulletproof Black Eye cams could make up for two windows, in theory.

(although I do agree that the MPX suuuuuuuucks)

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i see where you're coming from since mira doubles as an info operator on top of using them as traps. but even if you ignore all of that her Vector is loving amazing which when combined with 3 armor makes her an extremely dangerous anchor even without rook

both mira and hibana have been top picks forever

so has smoke somewhat actually but he is far less popular in casual which is weird because he owns and his grenades seem pretty intuitive even if the timing/placememt can be kinda tricky

Captainicus posted:

I accept my place in life because they don't want the trap operator to have a gun powerful enough to become a game definer.

fwiw smoke gets the smg11

also grzm0ts are traps lol

Great Beer posted:

i feel like Lion and Finka are direct responses to how fun but also coincidentally effective it is as a defender to just constantly roam and spawnpeek while trapsiege operators lock down the obj for you. before Chimera the defenders had a clear advantage in nearly every map and i think they kinda went overboard trying to balance this.

so in that regard they make sense but the way the abilities are used and their direct effects are insanely op and poorly implemented. spammable abilities are fine but leave that poo poo to someone like Vigil, not literal Clancymagic raid buffs

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean there's nothing to disagree with. It objectively has the worst DPS in the game by a significant margin.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Agree to disagree, I think three bulletproof Black Eye cams could make up for two windows, in theory.

Even if they can, you're using two defenders' worth of gadgets to be as good as one defender's worth of gadgets. You're really choosing between bulletproof Black Eyes and Black Mirrors + <other gadget>.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Elysiume posted:

Even if they can, you're using two defenders' worth of gadgets to be as good as one defender's worth of gadgets. You're really choosing between bulletproof Black Eyes and Black Mirrors + <other gadget>.

That's a good point, but there are places you can put the cams that you can't put the windows, and you get 50% more of them, so it might be worth it.

I mean here's the thing - I'm not a good enough player to tell you what a 5 man Pro League team spending hours in a custom map setting up strats is capable of with 3 bulletproof cameras they can put anywhere. It's possible the answer is: nothing you can't do with 2 Mira windows + another gadget. I kind of feel like that's too complicated of a question to dismiss out of hand, though.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I mean there's nothing to disagree with. It objectively has the worst DPS in the game by a significant margin.

Yeah I mean honestly, what is up with that? They just buffed the lower-performing Attacker LMGs on the test server, too, maybe Ubi should take a look at the MPX while they're at it?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 5, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ubi's "We don't ban when people exploit glitches" stance is real real dumb. There's a new glitch for shields where they get perfect hipfire with pistols without ADSing, being completely covered by their shield. Its very obvious when people are exploiting it as they do every round.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I thought Cav's gun had the worst DPS?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ubi's "We don't ban when people exploit glitches" stance is real real dumb. There's a new glitch for shields where they get perfect hipfire with pistols without ADSing, being completely covered by their shield. Its very obvious when people are exploiting it as they do every round.

Maybe that's what the 1,5GB emergency update was for right now.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

On the other hand, it could be justified in that, by letting people use exploits, knowledge of such exploits would more easily spread, and thus each bug can get reported more often by surrounding players. Increased detection rate often means a quicker fix.

No idea if that's their reasoning.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How to actually remove toxicity from Siege:
Step 1: Remove Smoke
Step 2: Remove Lesion
Step 3: ???

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kikas posted:

Maybe that's what the 1,5GB emergency update was for right now.

People on Reddit are saying that the shield glitch is still in the game. pfffft

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have my eyes on this game. I believe when people get tired of Fortnite they are going to be so much in this game that they will crash the servers.

If I am wrong, everyone here will get a free beer.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

How to actually remove toxicity from Siege:
Step 1: Remove Smoke
Step 2: Remove Lesion
Step 3: ???

Step 3: Remove the Dev Blog. C'mon, it's right there in the image.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Zomborgon posted:

Increased detection rate often means a quicker fix.

No idea if that's their reasoning.

Lol. Best joke I've heard today.

The shield hip fire exploit is one that has existed before and has now returned (year 1 if i remember correctly). I've yet to see it in the wild but I haven't been playing much since the new season.

Ubi has no idea how their game works.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

tjones posted:

Lol. Best joke I've heard today.

The shield hip fire exploit is one that has existed before and has now returned (year 1 if i remember correctly). I've yet to see it in the wild but I haven't been playing much since the new season.

Ubi has no idea how their game works.

Theory and reality rarely match.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Because despite all the good things about Hibana, she only has 21 rounds in her AR. That's literally the one balancing factor built in that is a legit downside. It's a small one in the grand scheme of things and almost nill if you have good accuracy but it's still there.

Meanwhile Ela gets a gun that started with double the ammo and firerate with accuracy that was about the same AND the ability to place concussiom mines anywhere with the downside of ?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Yeah Hibanas mag size sucks

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lmao they supposedly nerfed hibana's secondary SMG but i wouldn't know because my pal Finka got me covered with tactical no-recoil hax whenever i'm about to use it

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:how:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Mira was always in top 3 most picked defenders in pro league (I think she was like, THE most picked defender except for the times when Ela was OP).

Also what the hell are you smoking Frost's SMG totally rocks.
I've been playing a roaming Frost with a silenced SMG a bunch lately and it's really fun.

I don't really like the low rate of fire, but to be fair not everyone gets to be bandit or mira, I suppose :v:

Thief posted:

fwiw smoke gets the smg11

also grzm0ts are traps lol

I should have been more specific, I meant instant kill traps, which are a special kind of spiteful when you get hit by one

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i used to play kapkan all day so i know your pain

frost has really cool weapons but i can see why you find them lackluster when looking at the newer ops

a popular thing i see experienced frost players do is put a silencer on their smg. silencers in general are extremely effective in casual where players are less likely to communicate enemy positions but there are certain operators whose high level mains seem to run them more often than not.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thief posted:

i used to play kapkan all day so i know your pain

frost has really cool weapons but i can see why you find them lackluster when looking at the newer ops

a popular thing i see experienced frost players do is put a silencer on their smg. silencers in general are extremely effective in casual where players are less likely to communicate enemy positions but there are certain operators whose high level mains seem to run them more often than not.

At most ranges her gun stays a 3 shot kill. Just ignore the extended barrel.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also the silencer on the Frost smg turns it into a laserbeam.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I put silencers on nearly all my guns because I play casual and it seems people occasionally react really slowly because they can't tell where they get shot from! I'm sure this is 90% in my head as some people are just surprised and would die anyway, and some of the times the recoil control would actually let me hit headshots, something I am really bad at.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Extended barrel does basically nothing and the silencer on the C1 has barely any disadvantages, so the choice is really between nothing (nothing), nothing (extended barrel) and suppressed shots, so it's not a very difficult choice. :v:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I use to play nothing but frost and I can assure everyone here her gun is absolutely insane. If she was a 3 speed I would probably still play her and as I’ve gotten marginally better at the game my competition has gotten better at spotting the traps. So I play mostly Jager or Bandit now because I love to roam and their gadgets are a lot more useful for helping out the team.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I still miss the Frost laser shotgun

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know if it's possible to destroy double frost traps mid shield vault? I never seen anyone do it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to destroy double frost traps mid shield vault? I never seen anyone do it.

I’ve never heard of or seen this but it sounds genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005
It would be worth testing. But vaulting bear traps can be a bit random, and in general are buggy as gently caress.

I've vaulted, anticipated a trap, mag dumped it, visually confirmed it breaking on my screen, have others see the same thing from their end, and still get downed by the now non-existent trap.