Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Scum who lurk are terrible scum players. They should be ashamed every time they open the thread and decide not to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

b-minus1 posted:

If anyone is planning on running a mafia game any time soon, I would love to be a co-mod. I'm designing a Shawshank Redemption Mafia game (thanks Retro Futurist for the feedback), but would like to get a feel for the behind the scenes work that goes into modding before I run my own game.

I can give you a once over and a run down on the basics if you want. I'm an awful choice for someone to actually help run the game if that's what you're looking for though.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

merk posted:

Scum who lurk are terrible scum players. They should be ashamed every time they open the thread and decide not to post.

I agree but ultimately it’s up to the town to dictate what behavior they’ll tolerate

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i was gonna post this in here and i forgot! i made a puzzle thread in GBS to help support our dear old lowtax. i'm giving away forums certs for to people who solve them. puzzles 1 & 2 are already solved but puzzle 3 is up right now and i have 4 & 5 ready. i think i actually used puzzle 2 in a game once here maybe i don't remember but anyway

it's here if anyone cares!!

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Riven sign-ups are closing in one week, character creation is already underway. We're currently at 40+players, which is twice what Myst pulled.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I think some people in here need to reassess why they play mafia and sort of come into games with the mentality of knowing that this is a game of manipulation, lying, and the potential to get really annoyed at players when they're being dense (whether purposely or not). Not only in the recent (ongoing) DBZ game, but a lot of angry outbursts/ragequits/role postings have happened and I think if there's one way to turn off new players to the game (besides wacky setup games), it's that sort of stuff happening in every other game. Definitely have been guilty of getting really annoyed and emotional in games, and modding some wacky games, but at the end of the day I don't think I've ever managed to make anything personal with a player or take things hard enough that I straight up quit a game... no matter how much I disagreed with the mod or players casing me.

Not trying to bring back up the whole debate on personal attacks or anything (I think anything is fair game as long as it's not mean-spirited out of game stuff, or just straight up name calling), but just reminding people to try to take a step back and realize it is just a game and that certain things are happening for reasons. It may be of their own reasoning or thinking, scum reasoning, or stuff that you did that was scummy that prob deserves to be called out, but a lot of the time you can turn that poo poo around and look better for it instead of just letting it get to you and ultimately ruining your game or the game itself.

Woosah, guys n' gals

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I was planning on waiting till I wasn’t in any active games but I feel like I’ve played with nearly everyone active now and like p much everyone so it’s getting harder to accuse people of being filthy filthy scum

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Birdstrike posted:

I was planning on waiting till I wasn’t in any active games but I feel like I’ve played with nearly everyone active now and like p much everyone so it’s getting harder to accuse people of being filthy filthy scum

We owned in ecco's game

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
We have literally one rule in this community as a whole, and that's don't talk about ongoing games.

So maybe don't call people out when they can't respond to you without breaking that rule.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Asiina posted:

We have literally one rule in this community as a whole, and that's don't talk about ongoing games.

So maybe don't call people out when they can't respond to you without breaking that rule.

Sorry if it sounded harsh, I didn't mean for it to read as much of a call out as it probably did. Just to remind people that it's not worth getting too emotionally invested in games so that it just ruins your experiences and makes you want to leave the game/potentially ruin the game (not saying yours did) or sour you on mafia in the future. And yeah, it's just a general statement that at most recent has happened in an ongoing game, but have seen like 6-10 other instances over the last few months too. I've stated there have been plenty of times in the past where I've almost hit that point before finally cooling down and have probably had to step back an embarrassing amount of times.

Hell, you could have a super legit reason for doing so that you can't explain for obvious reasons until the game is over, I get it. I'm not trying to even have a back and forth on why people did it cause everybody has their own reasons. Would just be nice to read less games where things get super testy/drive players to not want to play and that's on both the mods when running the game and obviously the players too when interacting too.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
When a mod invites dozens of people to devote many many hours of thought and effort to a game, it's reasonable that they respect those people's time and effort by, for example:
* being consistent in their application of rules (does a modkill end the day?),
* straightforward about fundamental changes to the game (a note in the OP saying "Note: Win conditions may change over the course of this game" when that is the case),
* clear (or clear about being intentionally ambiguous, if necessary) in the text of role power descriptions and results
* prompt in resolving day actions and nights so the next day opens quickly
* updating the OP player roster for each death or replacement
* posting a Final Vote Count for each game day
* making every effort to run setups that are balanced and reasonably fair for all players (experimental setups that could violate this should be announced prominently in the OP)
* consider avoiding roles that are designed to be completely misdirecting and cause mislynches even when used wisely, or roles that subvert and invalidate players' expectations of their own role's effectiveness (InsaneCops, Busdriver, Framers, Juggernaught, Ninja). In open setups it's no problem, but it's not very fun to be surprised by them in a closed setup, or debate endlessly about how much of a bastard the mod might be all game.
* NEVER fudge or reroll the RNG for any reason, ever.

Even unbalanced game with deathmiller and cults and various-sanity Cops can be fun (hypotetically), but nobody enjoys bait and switch. Violate the above guidelines at your peril, because it'll get salty.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Fair enough (and I agree), don't want to get into anything specific cause there's an ongoing game but would be an interesting chat once it's finished.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A ton of this conversation should have been saved till current games concluded so everyone involved could respond, and people should have known better than to take shots while they can’t. Let’s revisit at that time.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You have to know your audience. The tenor of what people can generally bear now isn't the same as it used to be.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Riven will start next Monday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8lpVdz4UoQ

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Did you voice that Lumpen?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Grandicap posted:

Did you voice that Lumpen?
I am getting over a bad cold and my voice is busted, I can only either whisper or talk like Don LaFontaine right now, so I did this today for a goof.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
People have been saying they want a small and simple game and so mods need to poo poo or get off the pot.

So I have made a game come play it. It is an open setup for 11 players that I designed and very simple and in my experience well balanced (it's been run several times and made it to 3-man lylo each time, which I'm pretty proud of).

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Lumpen posted:

I am getting over a bad cold and my voice is busted, I can only either whisper or talk like Don LaFontaine right now, so I did this today for a goof.

It was no cowpoke erotica, but it was good.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Asiina posted:

People have been saying they want a small and simple game and so mods need to poo poo or get off the pot.

So I have made a game come play it. It is an open setup for 11 players that I designed and very simple and in my experience well balanced (it's been run several times and made it to 3-man lylo each time, which I'm pretty proud of).

This is a good setup! I will not play though, since I want to give Riven my full attention next week.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
b-minus, please satiate my inexplicable addiction to smallish mafia games regardless of expectations or flavor, it hurts me.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Ok. I designed a 9 player game using the F31 newbie setup. It's a MegaMan X4 (my favorite in the X series) themed game also inspired by the 'Empire Did Nothing Wrong' theory. Town are Mavericks, and Megaman and Zero are the scum haha. I'll make a thread soon.

b-minus1 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 4, 2018

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i'mdisappointedinyoubminusyaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
What did I do now

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Sunshine Mafia now open for 12 players.

I was typing all of my post up and didn't see your intent bee man, but I too have a game.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Sunshine Mafia now open for 12 players.

I was typing all of my post up and didn't see your intent bee man, but I too have a game.

That said, put me in your game please. Scum preferred.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

b-minus1 posted:

Ok. I designed a 9 player game using the F31 newbie setup. It's a MegaMan X4 (my favorite in the X series) themed game also inspired by the 'Empire Did Nothing Wrong' theory. Town are Mavericks, and Megaman and Zero are the scum haha. I'll make a thread soon.

I will probably play this :)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Riven signups close on Friday!

-------------------------------------------------

"Monster Hearts: Capitalist Pig hooked up with my grandma."
- BottleKnight

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

peramene posted:

"Monster Hearts: Capitalist Pig hooked up with my grandma."
- BottleKnight

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Please sign me up for all future PbtA games tia

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I love PbtA :3:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Someone should make a PbtA mafia hack.

AA playbook
+2 poo poo-posting
+1 Thick-Skin
+0 Wisdom
-1 Smarts
+1 Comedic Genius

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I guess it's time to admit I am probably gonna start drafting a (slightly) smaller role madness game to run at some point in the nebulous future. Cyberpunk or wild untamed space (aka Cowboy Bebop)-flavored game. Definitely shooting for more than 12 but probably no more than 18 players.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Someone should make a PbtA mafia hack.

AA playbook
+2 poo poo-posting
+1 Thick-Skin
+0 Wisdom
-1 Smarts
+1 Comedic Genius
poo poo posting and shitposting should be two different approaches, 0/10.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Quidthulhu posted:

I love PbtA :3:

Yup, such a well designed system. Currently back to my 3rd game of The Sprawl, which is my favorite of the settings I've done so far.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Riven signups will close without mercy in 26 hours.

please don't join i did not anticipate actually getting this close to 50

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

peramene posted:

Riven signups will close without mercy in 26 hours.

please don't join i did not anticipate actually getting this close to 50

I probably don't have the time for this, but that's never stopped me before.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Somberbrero posted:

I probably don't have the time for this, but that's never stopped me before.

Not only does it not stop you, I think it actively encourages you

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Someone open a small sized game :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Sandwolf posted:

Someone open a small sized game :(

Ok I’ll open my game up soon. Just making sure I have everything set up correctly.