Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Jimmer didn't have anything close to the same vision or passing, he was strictly a gunner. He never cracked 5 assists a game, Young had almost 9 and led the country in assists per game by almost a full assist

Please don’t use facts against me. I am determined to believe he will be trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Trae Young turning out similar to Kemba Walker with better range accurate?

Kemba is way, way, way more athletic and a better ballhandler and could not shoot very well coming out of college.

Trae Young has great vision and is an excellent shooter. They really could not possibly be more different.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Both Wiggins and KAT are supposed to have the tools to play defense and Thibodeau was supposed to be the answer and teach them defense what happened

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kiimo posted:

Both Wiggins and KAT are supposed to have the tools to play defense and Thibodeau was supposed to be the answer and teach them defense what happened

KATs defense has actually improved a ton. Wiggins is still a lost cause though

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Paul Zuvella posted:

Kemba is way, way, way more athletic and a better ballhandler and could not shoot very well coming out of college.

Trae Young has great vision and is an excellent shooter. They really could not possibly be more different.

I would say that Kemba had 2 extra years to develop as a ball handler before he jumped to the NBA

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Glumslinger posted:

I would say that Kemba had 2 extra years to develop as a ball handler before he jumped to the NBA

This is true but Kemba's also up there with Kyrie for best handles in the league. It's a skill thing so who knows but you probably shouldn't expect Trae to get to that point

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Trae Young's first step is also twice as "good" as Jimmer's, he has Steph Curry agility, but is shorter with smaller wings (what non basketball people call arms). Plenty of guys with his attributes have had good NBA careers. The only way he fails is if he ends up on such a bad team that he never gets any room to shoot.

He can probably add core strength in the same way Curry did. He'll never be a run/jump freak, but he only needs to jump high enough to clear a contest or to make a lay up

Trey Burke is now a solid NBA player, based on his measureables and college production, I never thought that would happen. Skill and bball iq can trump athleticism

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 5, 2018

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

If you insist on doing a historic player comp, break the color barrier and realize this is what Steve Nash would be in the modern NBA (really good)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I unfortunately seem to have exclusively seen Trae Young's bad games.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is Millsap a decent Miles Bridges comp?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

He wore down a lot at the end of the year and everyone figured out pretty quickly that he was the only guy on the team who could score

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

He's v good but will need players who can make buckets on his team in order to succeed

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Millsap was a way better rebounder but otherwise I guess kinda.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

Bridges reminds me of Josh Smith with a higher basketball IQ and less of an ego. Also a better three point shooter but I don’t know if that will carry over to the longer line. Tobias Harris also gets brought up a lot.

Jaren Jackson seems like Myles Turner 2.0 to me if we’re coming up with comps.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

kiimo posted:

Paul Zuvella posted:

KATs defense has actually improved a ton. Wiggins is still a lost cause though

Has is it improved since this video?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T890zCRYn0g

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I would say Bridges is a rich man's James Johnson with less manic energy and worse handle.

He has the body of an ideal NFL tight end, he's a great leaper and is fast. His wingspan is only 3 inches longer than his height, so he's going to need to be in a system that takes advantages of his shooting and minimizes his lack of dribbling, like Jae Crowder. But he's much more of an athlete. Somewhere I saw the comparison of a combination of Crowder and Justise Winslow, ie Winslow's athleticism and Crowder's touch and defensive instincts, and I think that's an okay comp, if you remember just how athletic Justise Winslow is, and forget how slow and ground bound Jae Crowder is.

Izzo had him play small forward all year, because if he could dribble, he'd probably add 100m to his lifetime earnings. That move lowered his rebounding and increased his assist rate. He didn't do a lot of wing stuff, like popping off of picks, very well, but if he gets runway he's unstoppable at the rim.

I've seen a lot of old school comps to guys I don't have any memory of, like Larry Johnson and Jerome Kersey, those guys were short fours who could jump very high and push big men around, that obviously misses part of his game, but the point is that he reminds people of historically strong and athletic undersized fours, and he shoots threes at 35.5%

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 9, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khagan posted:

Has is it improved since this video?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T890zCRYn0g

KAT's improvement really started happening after the Philly game that was a few days before this video was posted, so yeah probably.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Wiggins has been eye-testing much better on defense too.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Wiggins has been eye-testing much better on defense too.

Shame about the drastic devolution in every other area of his game then

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I support Givony's new mock draft. Come to me Mikal

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"ah gently caress it just give Philly all the Villanova guys" has a very "always mock the white guy to Utah" vibe and makes me feel like they're not really trying yet.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Sacramento grabbing their fourth young center feels similar, but then again I guess they're going to have some redundancies no matter what they do

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would feel pretty good if the Bulls had the ability to pick between Porter Jr. and Trae Young at #7 (even though there's a real chance they'd just pick Mikal Bridges in this scenario)

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

MourningView posted:

"ah gently caress it just give Philly all the Villanova guys" has a very "always mock the white guy to Utah" vibe and makes me feel like they're not really trying yet.

The Bridges one would definitely be a lock if he lasts till 10 but yeah the Brunson one definitely felt like a gently caress it whatever mock pick

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

As long as there's any decent non-center there for Charlotte, I'll be happy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

I thought you were just talking about Bridges but then I saw Brunson, too lol.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jota posted:

The Bridges one would definitely be a lock if he lasts till 10 but yeah the Brunson one definitely felt like a gently caress it whatever mock pick

Yeah Bridges has the benefit of fitting with just about anyone so that makes sense, but once I saw they were getting both of them it was like come on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hope all Villanova's players get drafted by Sacramento.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

Yeah Bridges has the benefit of fitting with just about anyone so that makes sense, but once I saw they were getting both of them it was like come on.

It makes a little bit more sense if they move McConnell this offseason, which is looking like a possibility atm.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i hear the bulls are really big on Bryant McIntosh, Scottie Lindsey, and that big doughy kid from Loyola

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It makes a little bit more sense if they move McConnell this offseason, which is looking like a possibility atm.

Why would they? He's a perfectly decent backup point/very good third string pg earning $1.6m next year. That's a great deal for the team. No-one's going to give up a first for him and Philly doesn't need any more second round picks, they have almost too many as it is.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

tanglewood1420 posted:

Why would they? He's a perfectly decent backup point/very good third string pg earning $1.6m next year. That's a great deal for the team. No-one's going to give up a first for him and Philly doesn't need any more second round picks, they have almost too many as it is.

They probably won't, but I'd agree it's a possibility. Fultz's unexpected return and solid play makes TJ more expendable. I still like him a lot as the 3rd PG, but I could see the team moving him if they can't find him minutes. I don't know where they're going to find minutes for TLC or Korkmaz next year either, plus whoever they draft. I don't want them to because I love TJ, he's my tiny (who is actually real life tall and my size) scrappy hustle son.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't think Bridges lasts until 10 although I also think that reason will take hold and Bamba and Bagley will fall out of the top 5, but history has shown that reason does not often take hold.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rick posted:

I don't think Bridges lasts until 10 although I also think that reason will take hold and Bamba and Bagley will fall out of the top 5, but history has shown that reason does not often take hold.

This made me think of Maciej Lampe, who many thought would go top 5 and ended up going #30, which was a 2nd rd pick back then. I don't think that'll happen with Bridges, but drafts can pretty wild with expectations vs reality sometimes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I don't really have a problem with Bamba. Mobile big guys who can protect the rim like that can find a place in the league still. Bagley definitely has some serious skinny Jahlil Oakafor potential though

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

I don't really have a problem with Bamba. Mobile big guys who can protect the rim like that can find a place in the league still. Bagley definitely has some serious skinny Jahlil Oakafor potential though

I worry with what has happened to Noel and Biyombo that there's at least some chance that role actually might be going away. I know some people are thinking that maybe we're talking about Good Dwight Howard 2.0 but I am not sure he has that relentlessness that Dwight had. I'd still pick him top 10 I suppose so it's nitpicking.

You're so right about Skinny Okafor though, although I think Okafor was already way more refined in the post at the same level of experience.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I worry with what has happened to Noel and Biyombo that there's at least some chance that role actually might be going away. I know some people are thinking that maybe we're talking about Good Dwight Howard 2.0 but I am not sure he has that relentlessness that Dwight had. I'd still pick him top 10 I suppose so it's nitpick

I think you have to turn into a good roll man too but you can find guys like that who stick. Gobert (and I realize expecting anyone to be a Gobert level rim protector is dumb but just for the sake of argument) is one of the most valuable guys in the league, DeAndre Jordan has had a nice career, Capela is valuable for the Rockets, etc.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

I think you have to turn into a good roll man too but you can find guys like that who stick. Gobert (and I realize expecting anyone to be a Gobert level rim protector is dumb but just for the sake of argument) is one of the most valuable guys in the league, DeAndre Jordan has had a nice career, Capela is valuable for the Rockets, etc.

If there is anyone in the last few years and next few years that might be Gobertish, its Bamba. He is one of the least likely busts to me. I feel like his floor is Capela-ish, which is fine for a 4-10 pick, i think.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ButtWolf posted:

If there is anyone in the last few years and next few years that might be Gobertish, its Bamba. He is one of the least likely busts to me. I feel like his floor is Capela-ish, which is fine for a 4-10 pick, i think.

This rim protection hasn't stood up to the few offenses that got him in rotation this year. Small sample size because college is garbage but it's enough to imply some risk (considering like 27 out of 30 teams play like this in the NBA), and to be absolutely sure a guy's floor is Capela is a little presumptuous to me, especially as MV pointed out it's the offensive part that keeps him on the floor which at least right now isn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bagley can shoot, though. That's a pretty huge difference between Jahill and him. A jahill that can do something further than 6 feet from the basket is a way, way way more valuable player.

• Locked thread