Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I recently got my first VCR since 2003, in order to watch tapes from this cult movie buff whose taped-from-TV-in-the-80s-and-90s collection I bought on eBay.

...they're the best. Watching 80s commercials in between segments of horror-host hosted movies is a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I recently got my first VCR since 2003, in order to watch tapes from this cult movie buff whose taped-from-TV-in-the-80s-and-90s collection I bought on eBay.

...they're the best. Watching 80s commercials in between segments of horror-host hosted movies is a dream.

I have 2 working VCRs in my media room. One is hooked up to my stereo stack, you haven't lived until you've watched a VHS tape with stereo sound oh boy.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah but have you seen S-VHS

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'll admit I was sad that the Sony VCR I owned that was always a trooper (self cleaning, 4 head, stereo beast) had bitten the dust when I tried to put all my TV recorded tapes through it one last time to see if I had any gems before I had to move all my stuff out of my parents. A loooooot of unmarked tapes and pre-recorded ones went out to the tip that day.

I even tried 2 other units that I happened to have in the house, all bust too. Loneliness kills, I guess.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rastor posted:

Yeah but have you seen S-VHS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4lDU-QLUY

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

This is weird, it's like somebody went back in time to the 90's with a GoPro.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

King Vidiot posted:

This is weird, it's like somebody went back in time to the 90's with a GoPro.

Think of how big that camera must have been

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone heard any news about Drive (or any of Refn's other films, for that matter) coming to UHD? Seems a natural fit for the format, especially with HDR in mind.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a Neon Demon disc from Germany.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Most of them will be region B but there's an Arrow flash sale started now going over the weekend. https://arrowfilms.com/shop/april-flash-sale/?pi=1

edit: I ordered Society and the Dead or Alive trilogy which are both listed as region b on the Arrow store but blu-ray.com says they are region free so the region data may not be completely correct on the store.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 6, 2018

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

EL BROMANCE posted:

Probably not, they were produced in seriously high numbers and in multiple versions. The only media that's ever worth stuff is the stuff that had to go out of print way before demand, or super limited. It's the same as Beatles LPs - people think they're going to be worth serious money, but they were the most successful band on the planet and a ridiculous numbers of their albums were pressed. Find an oddity, and you've got some money.

I had 80s Star Wars VHS tapes I sold about 2 years ago, just from my collection not because I thought they were worth anything. They got more than your average tape, but nothing too exciting. Don't kick yourself over it. The only tapes I see going for serious money is unusual horror stuff, because horror VHS people are batshit insane.

The BluRay Alien Anthology Collectors version (greenish cover) has been out of print since before Prometheus, and I seriously doubt BluRays will be sold at all in 2040. There will definitely be a niche collector's market for all kinds of BluRays by then I'm sure.

And those Star Wars VHS tapes can go for a fuckload if you find the right buyer. Star Wars fandom for that kind of stuff is insane.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

At this rate Wal Mart's media section will still be 50% DVDs in 2040.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Anthology Blu rays are still around. They’re just a bit more compact than the older ones.

They fluctuate between 40 and 20 bucks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Alan Anthology Blu rays are still around. They’re just a bit more compact than the older ones.

They fluctuate between 40 and 20 bucks.

He's talking about a specific collectors edition that isn't being made anymore, so really it's all about packaging. If you don't care about packaging than you'll probably never have to worry about paying collector's market prices for blu ray, even in 2040.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean it’s the same set in every way except just a bit thinner. But I guesssss that’s important to someone.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It’s reaaaaally nice. (Also my first BluRay’s!)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I mean it’s the same set in every way except just a bit thinner. But I guesssss that’s important to someone.

Aesthetics are important to peeps. You know this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...to be honest, I'd think the thin set is preferable unless it has really ugly art or something? :shrug:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...to be honest, I'd think the thin set is preferable unless it has really ugly art or something? :shrug:

I think I have the thin one, but I can understand wanting a specific packaging. I kept a few of my dvds for that reasoning.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I prefer to have nicer packaging that sets itself apart from all the identical blue plastic cases, BUT it's gotta still be a relatively normal size and shape so that it doesn't become annoying to place in it's proper place on my shelf. Criterion digi packs are probably my personal favorite, they look and feel really nice but they're still easy to file and store.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I prefer to have nicer packaging that sets itself apart from all the identical blue plastic cases, BUT it's gotta still be a relatively normal size and shape so that it doesn't become annoying to place in it's proper place on my shelf. Criterion digi packs are probably my personal favorite, they look and feel really nice but they're still easy to file and store.

I love steelbooks the most. I bought the phantasm set that comes with a sphere and it's also super amazing on my shelf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I love steelbooks the most. I bought the phantasm set that comes with a sphere and it's also super amazing on my shelf.

Yea I always will drop an extra few bucks if I can get my hands on a steelbook. I'd probably already have The Last Jedi but I'm waiting for the Best Buy steelbook to drop in price, which I know it will because they always order like a billion of them and they just sit there rotting on the shelves for months. Eventually I'll get it for like $15. They had a pretty sweet Atomic Blonde Steelbook as well, and right now there's a John Wick 1+2 combo steelbook. That one I'm passing on though because JW3 is coming out and I'll just buy them all in one set.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I always will drop an extra few bucks if I can get my hands on a steelbook. I'd probably already have The Last Jedi but I'm waiting for the Best Buy steelbook to drop in price, which I know it will because they always order like a billion of them and they just sit there rotting on the shelves for months. Eventually I'll get it for like $15. They had a pretty sweet Atomic Blonde Steelbook as well, and right now there's a John Wick 1+2 combo steelbook. That one I'm passing on though because JW3 is coming out and I'll just buy them all in one set.

Zaavi, (or is it Zavvi?) had a Super Mario Bros steelbook that I pre-ordered last year, because hell yeah I need a steelbook of super Mario bros. It was also a fantastic transfer.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

VHSs I still have:
Star Wars OT Non-Special Editions
A Muppet Christmas Carol

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

:smug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

Aesthetics are important to peeps. You know this.

Another I guesssss.

I looked it up. It’s exactly the same except it’s a scoche smaller. Like barely an inch smaller. The cover, the discs, the art, it’s exactly the same.

And it goes for like 20 bucks around the holidays.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 6, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

viral spiral posted:

The BluRay Alien Anthology Collectors version (greenish cover) has been out of print since before Prometheus, and I seriously doubt BluRays will be sold at all in 2040. There will definitely be a niche collector's market for all kinds of BluRays by then I'm sure.

And those Star Wars VHS tapes can go for a fuckload if you find the right buyer. Star Wars fandom for that kind of stuff is insane.

There’s been dozens of Aliens collections in various formats that have gone ‘out of print’ and replaced by others over the years. Virtually nobody cares, and the market isn’t going to suddenly uptick for them in 20 years time.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Interesting timing on this thread. Last Tuesday I finally threw away my last 6 videotapes, one of which was my wedding. I've long since converted all that to digital, and the actual movies I did have were stored too close to an unshielded speaker at some point and there were blank spots throughout. Dunno why I kept them this long, I haven't had a VCR since 2003.

I do remember when I finally bought a progressive scan DVD player, only to find out that 99% of TVs couldn't actually display it and it'd default to interlaced. I finally learned to research and wait for technology so I get what I pay for.

Guys at work make fun of me for owning blu rays, they think streaming is a 100% replacement. But they aren't movie junkies, they just watch whatever their wives find to watch that night. I tried to watch Pretty Woman last month and it was nowhere to be found except a $7 rental. Of course once I had Netflix send it, Amazon dropped the rental price to $1. It's like they are watching. But yeah, there are still millions of movies that are only pay to watch rather than on a free streaming service, and I hate it. So when I really want to be sure I can watch something at any time, I buy it.

And Pretty Woman really does not hold up. It's been decades since I've seen it and it was terrible.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Check out these sweet physical medias I got dirt cheap today.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Boinks posted:

Demon Knight is amazing :allears:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Demon Knight is amazing :allears:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s been dozens of Aliens collections in various formats that have gone ‘out of print’ and replaced by others over the years. Virtually nobody cares, and the market isn’t going to suddenly uptick for them in 20 years time.

Unless that Disney buyout comes through and the Alien movies go into the Vault.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Boinks posted:

Come back when you trash the slipcases and put them in a space saving binder

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Boinks posted:

Lifeforce crew

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VoodooXT posted:

Unless that Disney buyout comes through and the Alien movies go into the Vault.

Ha, then we’ll have the ‘Disney black diamond tapes are worth a fortune!’ craziness again, when they absolutely weren’t.

E: link for relevance https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/black-diamond-collection-disney/

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 7, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, then we’ll have the ‘Disney black diamond tapes are worth a fortune!’ craziness again, when they absolutely weren’t.

E: link for relevance https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/black-diamond-collection-disney/

I wish whoever wrote the clickbait article that made all those moms think that would use their powers for good, like telling them they need to run Windows Update or that the antivirus trial that came with their HP isn't doing anything anymore.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Disney laserdiscs can be worth quite a bit since a lot of content didn't make it to DVD or Blu-ray.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I have a bunch of Criterion DVD's I bought in bulk and whoever owned them last decided to cut up a bunch of the artwork so they could fit into slim cases. :bang:

Luckily ones like The Third Man, Yojimbo and Pepe Le Moko are untouched.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the funny thing is, $25 is still a decent chunk of change for a used VHS. Disney stuff pretty inarguably holds value better than other common releases, between the Disney Vault, the edits to movies, prices basically never dropping even when stuff's out of the Vault, and content that never got carried over on the LD releases; it's just not to the insane extents that article tried to claim.

e: like, this is a "if you need rent money you can flip your Disney VHS collection from childhood for a few hundo" situation, not a "you can put your kids through college with Disney tapes" situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I used to work at a used video store and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a mom come in with all the Disney tapes demanding a few grand and I can only offer like $20. If you want actual valuable tapes, Wrestling is the way to go. Couple of them can go for over $100.