Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A car with a truck bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Imagine an entire country falling in love with the Chevy El Camino

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:aaaaa:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

General Dog posted:

I don't think the show ever really recovered from JD getting cold feet with Elliot in season 3. The show kind of requires you to be in JD's corner at least a little bit, but after he spends three years chasing Elliot and then dumps her immediately, it makes sense for the character but at the same time it's like "why should I ever be invested in what you want ever again?"

he's a manic cherub dream boy, he can't control his FEEEELINGS

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a type of car/truck that automakers actually make mostly just for australians.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
youth

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well, I know where I'm retiring.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh another fun fact about utes. I watch a lot of Australian dash-cam vids and when something amazingly stupid happens it's very likely to be done by someone driving a ute. They seem to attract a certain "type"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Baronjutter posted:

Oh another fun fact about utes. I watch a lot of Australian dash-cam vids and when something amazingly stupid happens it's very likely to be done by someone driving a ute. They seem to attract a certain "type"

Like you work in insurance or ... this niche wing of YouTube is your hobby?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mrmcd posted:

Like you work in insurance or ... this niche wing of YouTube is your hobby?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZyOt5wgIvI
It's good fun, car crashes and angry australians talking with their ridiculous voices.

PickleBunny
Jul 5, 2007

Two youths

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The two defendants....

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oh, YOUTHS.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Android Blues posted:

That video reminds me of possibly the best sum-up of Dan Harmon as a person, which is that he refused to watch Parks & Recreation because he was afraid it would be better than his show and he didn't want to have to cope with that knowledge.

While this is pretty lovely, at least he wasn't acting under any pretense that he'd made the best show.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

21 Muns posted:

While this is pretty lovely, at least he wasn't acting under any pretense that he'd made the best show.

I think it shows an awareness of potential lovely behavior, and working to prevent that from happening. :shrug:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Why specifically Parks and Rec? I mean, I enjoyed (the first couple seasons of) Community as much as anyone but I can think of a dozen TV shows that were better just off the top of my head. It's not even as though it's the same subject matter or setting.

God forbid this dude watches The Wire.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phenotype posted:

Why specifically Parks and Rec? I mean, I enjoyed (the first couple seasons of) Community as much as anyone but I can think of a dozen TV shows that were better just off the top of my head. It's not even as though it's the same subject matter or setting.

I know Dan highly respected Harris Wittels, who wrote on Parks and Rec.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Parks & Recreation was probably the funniest network comedy of its day and the surrounding decade (egregiously shmoopy 4 episode ‘good-bye’ not withstanding) and achieved absurdism while remaining very grounded.

I love 30 Rock and defend it to death but P&R S1-5 are perfect

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Parks & Rec was great until they managed to fill that pit.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Phenotype posted:

...is The Wire a comedy? That wasn't my read on it at all.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

ChairMaster posted:

...is The Wire a comedy? That wasn't my read on it at all.

No, but it's still funnier than the last few seasons of Community.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDCc48heqE&t=71s

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dan looks really young in that video.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

P&R S1-5 are perfect

2-5 I'll agree with, but season 1 is infamously rocky.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

prefect posted:

I think it shows an awareness of potential lovely behavior, and working to prevent that from happening. :shrug:

Yeah, pretty much. It's sad, and a little funny, but also sort of relatable.

Phenotype posted:

Parks & Rec was popular when Community was also at its most popular, and most of the buzz around Parks & Rec was basically, "it's the best, smartest, funniest, most heartfelt comedy on television right now". Those were all things Community tried hard to be. You can see why someone who was burning himself out trying to make a great sitcom, who also has a pretty big/evident hangup about being the smartest guy in the room, would feel insecure that another sitcom on NBC was getting tonnes of critical acclaim while his only had a cult following.

And, since it had a bunch of talent behind it Harmon knew and respected, he couldn't dismiss it as just being a show that had bland mass appeal while he was making "real stuff".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Parks & Recreation was probably the funniest network comedy of its day and the surrounding decade (egregiously shmoopy 4 episode ‘good-bye’ not withstanding) and achieved absurdism while remaining very grounded.

I love 30 Rock and defend it to death but P&R S1-5 are perfect
No they aren't. Season 1 is a mess, and Season 5 suffers from the network changing their episode order on them, along with not making it clear whether the show will continue. P&R was more consistent than 30 Rock but less funny.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 233 days!

prefect posted:

Dan looks really young in that video.

I think it might be his imitation of Zizek's style. It's an easy comparison to come out ahead in, visually.

e: It's actually pretty easy to relate to someone not wanting to have to think of their work in competitive terms.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 6, 2018

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I remember all that comedy block fondly, but Parks' highs absolutely do not top 30 Rock when it was firing on all cylinders.

Season 6-7 of Parks does hold up better on rewatch than Community season 4, but that's not really saying much.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

30 Rock is way funnier than Parks & Rec, it just has such an amazing density of really good jokes, but Parks & Rec has better characters. They do different things really well.

Community kind of splits down the middle. A lot of its attempts to do character work and development feel pretty flat to me, but there are some absolutely sublime jokes in there.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
There will never be a better lineup than Community, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, and The Office. Not in a thousand years.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
um, hello. clarissa explains it all, all that, ren & stimpy, are you afraid of the dark

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

SiKboy posted:

I maintain that the medical school season could have worked if they had goddamn committed to the "heres the new cast, the shows about them now". But they didnt, instead it was "heres some new characters, most of whom roughly match the same archetypes of the old characters. But wait! Here are the old characters the audience have spent 8 seasons watching!". Why should the audience care about new!turk when actual turk turns up all the time? its been a while, but I think I originally heard it as "they're handing over to a new cast, and the old cast will be in a few episodes to sort of scaffold the transition". That sounds fine to me. Then it turned out that the old cast were in a few episodes EACH, so in pretty much every episode the new cast were overshadowed by an old cast member.

And yeah, by and large JD was the worst, but at least the show sometimes acknowledged that (for example when its pointed out that he messes Elliot around because he only wants her when shes in a relationship with someone else, he denys that, breaks up her new relationship then IMMEDIATELY realises he doesnt want her any more). I mean, it also often didnt acknowledge it, which is less ideal.

I really felt like the medical school season was gonna work because for me John C. McGinley's long angry pretentious rants were always the core of the show and that was still gonna be around right? At this point I can't even remember anything that happened that season other than the fact that I hated it. I think I blocked it all out on purpose.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baronjutter posted:

Falcon and Commodore utes especially (there's something of a Ford/Holden fan rivalry) seem to be somewhere between the Aussie equivalent of Bro Trucks (not that you don't get people with decked out tacky 4WDs too, and they're just as obnoxious as you think) and tuners/muscle cars.

It's kinda funny watching say, My Name Is Earl, because the El Camino is rare and unusual there while in Australia, especially rural Australia, it's pretty normal. (although a lot of rural Australians own what Americans would probably call small SUVs, like Uncle Barry's, which are genuinely useful for a family that transports kids, livestock and farm equipment in the same car sometimes on the same day, on paved, gravel and dirt roads)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Most of the utes you guys are talking about are way too low to the ground for genuinely rural use, the dual cab suv hybrids that look like the more typical American truck I see online is more the norm out here along with land rovers, those built in sedan looking utes are mostly used as a flashy way for tradies to show off around the suburbs

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I still have not watched the weird Aussie special but it looks like the big les show guy from stills?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I still have not watched the weird Aussie special but it looks like the big les show guy from stills?

That was my takeaway, although I'm only a little familiar with the Big Les show.

Honestly, I didn't enjoy this particular sojourn. Partially because I was expecting some mysteries to be solved by Mike Tyson, mind you. But also because I just didn't really care for it.

Meh. They can't all be Too Many Cooks. Sometimes, you get... I don't know, that weird one about cyber cameras that live inside your toilet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Again, this is incredibly loving hilarious if you're Australian because it's pretty much everyday life.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
I'm not Australian and I loved it. Partly for the actual Aussie-ness of it, which we don't get to see that often here in the States; partly for the purposely terrible and inconsistent animation; and partly because it was (whether intentional or not) a thumbing of the nose to the more obnoxious/entitled elements of the RnM fanbase.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Community was a complete fuckin garbage show that should have been axed once and never brought back. Never understood the love that show got especially when so many other great comedies were airing.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It's by the dude who made the YOLO videos and ciggie butt brain aka damo and Darren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

ya after careful googling I have concluded they are two seperate people although their animation styles are pretty similar