Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can't remember, is there a reason that Jerome constantly wears gloves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

I can't remember, is there a reason that Jerome constantly wears gloves?

He's a Warner Brothers cartoon

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Wow, Joker, Penguin, Firefly, Freeze, Mad Hatter, Scarecrow and Grundy all in one room, with Hugo Strange possibly joining in. Never thought I'd see the day where so many members of the Rogue's Gallery would meet up like this. This is the kind of poo poo I always wanted with the show, it's just a shame it's nearly twenty episodes into the fourth season before we got it.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I love how Harvey gave no fucks when he sees tetch and the scarecrow

also drat live-action joker gas is horrifying

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

way to get around that joker problem

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I'm guessing that the producers talking about how Jerome isn't going to be the Joker just means that we'll see Jerome pulling a Killing Joke on Jeremiah and it working, turning HIM into the Joker.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yeah, it feels inevitable they'll make Jeremiah the Joker. Otherwise why introduce him? But I thought they didn't want to give the Joker a backstory...so they ditch the obvious Joker for another one...that has a backstory. Then what's the freaking point?

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
Or something will happen which will fake out the audience, such as you see both Jerome and Jeremiah fall into the ocean but only one emerges. We never know which ones really survives, the show never tells us, and the Joker's backstory is now up for debate.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Conclusions posted:

Or something will happen which will fake out the audience, such as you see both Jerome and Jeremiah fall into the ocean but only one emerges. We never know which ones really survives, the show never tells us, and the Joker's backstory is now up for debate.

It'll be this, but a vat of chemicals.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It will be jeremiah because his face isnt scarred in the pictures that leaked.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not quite caught up yet, but I love the fact that apparently Batman's insanely stupid idea to not kill The Joker started at a young age.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Why so serious?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
siiiiiick he's got a fuggin batstang

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anyone think the music that the joker band was playing before Gordon showed up sounded vaguely like the 60s Batman theme?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So what count are we on people getting shot and falling into things or into water?

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
This episode pretty much lifted the climax of 1989 Batman wholesale, huh? "Joker" attracts a bunch of Gothamites to an outdoor location with the intent of gassing them via balloon, then ends up dangling from a precipice at the mercy of the protagonist before falling to his death. Still pretty well done, though.

My biggest gripe with the Joker stuff here is that instead of being a mysterious, chaotic madman of unknown origin, the actual Joker will be seen by all of Gotham as a Jerome Valeska copycat, on top of being his actual brother. Still, Monaghan's performance is something to see.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

evilmiera posted:

So what count are we on people getting shot and falling into things or into water?

Well in the Gotham universe bullets hit about as hard as an infant fist so I'll give them some slack if the characters consider guns a first option and most people either survive long enough to monologue and fall into something or just live completely.

Maybe they never had World Wars in that universe so Ammunition manufacturers have been cutting corners for a century just making really cheap substandard bullets to cut costs.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I really want a Raj al ghul off between Malcolm Merlyn and Barbara Keene. :D

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I liked the episode as a whole, it is kind of a problem to have a big dramatic moment being Jerome dying when that has already happened once before. Especially his line about creating copycats which already happened.

I guess maybe they felt like they killed him the first time way too quickly and this is basically supposed to be a do-over.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

While I liked the episode as a whole, it is kind of a problem to have a big dramatic moment being Jerome dying when that has already happened once before. Especially his line about creating copycats which already happened.

I guess maybe they felt like they killed him the first time way too quickly and this is basically supposed to be a do-over.

I really thought they did a good job the first time around, I clearly understood that they set up The Joker as like a weird force of nature and not any one guy and that totally works for Gotham.

But the actor they got is actually really really good (i'm sure you've seen Shameless) and they certainly wasted him getting rid of Joker so quickly. So I was glad he came back.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Joker will have the faceoff scars in half his episodes from now on to maintain at least a little ambiguity.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mean it was obvious the instant the twin brother was introduced, but it still feels way to cliche to have Jerome have a final revenge. Also glad Gordon finally just went "gently caress it, i'm killing Jerome". If someone could just put one between Tech's eyes too, or at least rip out his tongue.

Nobody likes the Mad Hatter, NO ONE! Condiment King or The Calculator are better villains than him.

bull3964 posted:

Anyone think the music that the joker band was playing before Gordon showed up sounded vaguely like the 60s Batman theme?

It was pretty obvious.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I honestly wondering if they are going to explain how penguin got down from the blimp. :p

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shades of eternity posted:

I honestly wondering if they are going to explain how penguin got down from the blimp. :p

brainstorming how to get down is the origin of the omnibrella

"if I could just use this umbrella as a parachute... it'd need to be reenforced... might as well make it out of bulletproof kevlar... and if it's bulletproof, it'd be neat if it could shoot bullets as well..."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is going to sound like an obvious observation, but if feels like Gordon seems to have really replaced Bruce/Batman as the reason for all the weirdos being in Gotham.

By the time Batman finally rolls into Gotham, the supercriminals will be antagonizing an ineffectual Dark Knight just to force Gordon to come out of the shadows to deal with them.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is going to sound like an obvious observation, but if feels like Gordon seems to have really replaced Bruce/Batman as the reason for all the weirdos being in Gotham.

By the time Batman finally rolls into Gotham, the supercriminals will be antagonizing an ineffectual Dark Knight just to force Gordon to come out of the shadows to deal with them.

This makes me curious how Gotham would handle the typical Adult Batman/Gordon dynamic.

Usually it's a regular cop calling the weirdo vigilante for secret rooftop meetings. He has to ask for help because of the outrageous characters and unorthodox tactics they are using that the extrajudicial Batman can better deal with and understand.

Now Gordon is basically a Batman with a badge. When someone hopped up on super strength serum wants to steal the skeletons of children to make a voodoo dirty bomb Gordon calls up Batman to tell him to stay at home and not get into any trouble. Hell Gordon is the one rescuing him most of the time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This makes me curious how Gotham would handle the typical Adult Batman/Gordon dynamic.

Usually it's a regular cop calling the weirdo vigilante for secret rooftop meetings. He has to ask for help because of the outrageous characters and unorthodox tactics they are using that the extrajudicial Batman can better deal with and understand.

Now Gordon is basically a Batman with a badge. When someone hopped up on super strength serum wants to steal the skeletons of children to make a voodoo dirty bomb Gordon calls up Batman to tell him to stay at home and not get into any trouble. Hell Gordon is the one rescuing him most of the time.

Gordon is still in his what, thirties (?) in this series, Bruce is in his teens. It's easy enough for it to be explained that by the time the supervilains are in their prime, Gordon's past his and has to reluctantly rely on a grown up Batman to deal with them because he just physically can't.

I mean how often has Gordon survived in this series by dumb luck or the skin of his teeth? All we need is a plot where he's given a permanent limp or something and then we need Batman.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I guess the next time someone shoots him a few times they could say he was actually injured by it

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

twistedmentat posted:

If someone could just put one between Tech's eyes too, or at least rip out his tongue.

Nobody likes the Mad Hatter, NO ONE! Condiment King or The Calculator are better villains than him.

One between the eyes? So like a coma?

this loving show!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm still annoyed that the show decided to focus on the mob scene again, but brought in an extremely minor character instead of The Ventriloquist. Poor guy doesn't get enough love.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That final shot of his distorting face was creepy as gently caress.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Vague spoilers for the season finale and a potential season 5:

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/04/17/gotham-season-5-reboot-story-no-mans-land/

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So now that it's the best it's ever been, now they want to reboot? Soft reboot? Pseudo-reboot?

I'm cautiously optimistic.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

VictorianQueerLit posted:

If I were able to go back in time about 4-5 years when they were working on this show, and could make a suggestion, I would have dumped the whole 'Gordon killed a guy while doing a job for Penguin after he was fired by the GCPD' storyline that the effectively erased or forgot about for the last several seasons and made a different suggestion.

Bruce Wayne has a ton of money, he and Alfred aren't afraid of throwing it around. I would have suggested they hire Gordon to act as a security consultant, doing investigation work on behalf of themselves on Wayne Industries issues, or be a bodyguard or something like that, instead, for that window of time. It keeps Gordon out of the GCPD for a while, allows him to keep following the Wayne Murders every so often and you could play on the idea that Bruce and Alfred are secretly using Gordon's efforts to allow Bruce to research investigative techniques, criminal science stuff, etc.

It wouldn't quite be outside of comic book canon, either. Pre-Crisis, teen Bruce Wayne (as Robin) partnered up with a detective for a while who taught him such things. Having Gordon being that character instead might have worked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume any kind of "reboot" would be to refocus the show more on Bruce (as David Mazouz has aged enough that they can start really digging into the proto-Batman) and jettison a lot of Gordon subplots.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I never thought Gotham would work when I first heard about it, but it's become or of my favourite shows. It has such great art direction, and a weird little world they've created.

The reboot thing sounds weird, but I can't imagine they'd take everything they built up and completely ruin it. The refocusing on Proto Batman sounds pretty good though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gotham is a lot like Legends of Tomorrow, when the show was serious, it was utter crap, but once they embraced the camp and sillyness of it, it became way more enjoyable. Though I don't think it will ever top LoT for just pure fun in a tv show though.

One thing I am still surprised at is they have not introduced a baby Harley Quinn. I wonder if its because they just can't figure out what do with her, because her transformation is directly caused by the Joker much later in life, though she was always not all there. Or they just can't find an actor that is suitable.

Burning_Monk posted:

One between the eyes? So like a coma?

this loving show!

Basically, every time they fail to just execute one of these guys, all the people the villains kill are because of them. Gotham needs a Dredd level justice system.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Gotham is a lot like Legends of Tomorrow, when the show was serious, it was utter crap, but once they embraced the camp and sillyness of it, it became way more enjoyable.

So, from episode two.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
With the way that they're seemingly increasing the power status of female characters in the Gotham series, I figured the talk of "No Man's Land" was going to be less about the actual comic series run and more something like the Gotham Underworld is effectively being run by different female-lead factions or something. Ivy has her own agenda, Lee has her own motives, Barbara/League as a faction, etc. and the male characters were either going to be just generals/soldiers in their organizations or rogue agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I assume any kind of "reboot" would be to refocus the show more on Bruce (as David Mazouz has aged enough that they can start really digging into the proto-Batman) and jettison a lot of Gordon subplots.

I would enjoy this immensely. This season hasn't had enough Bruce and Alfred.

• Locked thread