Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I don't mind running spoiler tags myself. Are you only watching on youtube because of timing on the rebroadcasts or is it something wonky on twitch's part?

CuwiKhons posted:

Beau didn't want to turn the drow in to the guards - she wanted to hand him over to the Cobalt Soul. Her organization. Which she explicitly said has some level of separation from the Empire. Also I don't know man, the rest of the party also flip flopped wildly between "Just let him go" and "kill him and keep his glowy thing." There's also a massive difference between "Let the drow take the magical item back to his people and away from the Empire that stole it from him in the first place" and "Let the Empire re-confiscate the item we just let the drow take."

I don't know man, I didn't think she was any more inconsistent than the rest of the party.

She brought up both turning him into the guards for a reward and selling his stuff. The rest of the party doesn't know she's a member of the Cobalt Soul, nor do they probably know that it is hooked up with the goddess of knowledge. She mentioned getting the artifact to them once, but sort of in the middle and without any real conviction to it, or arguments for doing so. Even after they get the artifact she hasn't brought it up or really interacted with it.

My feeling is Marisha is more interested in following the Gentleman plot thread especially once it crossed paths with the revolutionary group(I was never exactly clear on why she was stealing mail in the first place, but I sort of assumed it was something from the pre-stream session). A lot of her weird actions as Keyleth made more sense if you read them that way as well.

The rest of the party wasn't really inconsistent, they just sort of went "hey loot"->"oh that loot is a little too hot for us", along not really wanting to kill a prisoner and finding out wtf was going on. Molly was the most interested in keeping it until the others convinced him it wasn't worth the bother, and then he was all down for letting the guy go.

If they were that worried that the empire would get it back, they should have given him a weapon and a cure spell instead of stealing his boots and weapons and leaving him almost dead.

@Gaz-L Yea I agree that she might enjoy the "take a bad approach because the character thinks they're good at it" and the fallout from that. It can be really great if you play it well, hell in this same campaign you can see Sam do that very thing. Marisha has played it up really well earlier too, but that sort of beat needs to be mixed up to keep being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
All the rebroadcasts are still on times that are good for people living in the US. I like the show but I ain't staying up until 7 AM to watch it ;P

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
[quote="Sion" post=""48288549"]

Also, I'm in the EU! I can only watch on YouTube. Is there any chance we could get an 'until Monday spoiler policy' or something?
[/quote]

Good call. Apologies.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Based on Beau's encounter with her order earlier, she still doesn't seem totally on board with her order's philosophy. When the person from the anti-corruption wing showed up to talk/beat her up, she seemed more interested in learning their cool techniques. So she was an opportunistic thug too impatient to last through her monk training, but now she's an opportunistic thug who knows she can score brownie points and new moves by paying lip service to the order and doing some anti-corruption stuff if it comes up. So it made sense to me that in the latest episode she suggested involving the Cobalt Soul but otherwise spent the argument wondering how best to get money from their captive.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Based on Beau's encounter with her order earlier, she still doesn't seem totally on board with her order's philosophy. When the person from the anti-corruption wing showed up to talk/beat her up, she seemed more interested in learning their cool techniques. So she was an opportunistic thug too impatient to last through her monk training, but now she's an opportunistic thug who knows she can score brownie points and new moves by paying lip service to the order and doing some anti-corruption stuff if it comes up. So it made sense to me that in the latest episode she suggested involving the Cobalt Soul but otherwise spent the argument wondering how best to get money from their captive.

Marisha also said before the new campaign even started that she was excited to play a character who had "no real moral code," in contrast to Keyleth's intense moral code. So yeah, we can definitely assume Beau is primarily out for #1.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sion posted:

All the rebroadcasts are still on times that are good for people living in the US. I like the show but I ain't staying up until 7 AM to watch it ;P

Alpha has the VOD up basically right away, and the G&S Twitch used to as well, if you haven't already used Prime to sub to someone else?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Alpha has the VOD up basically right away, and the G&S Twitch used to as well, if you haven't already used Prime to sub to someone else?

I have no Amazon Prime :v: . Also I'm not going to sub to Alpha because like- it is 4 days. It is not a huge deal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sion posted:

22 Wisdom.

Cliff dive.

To be fair, that was as much Marisha misreading her husband's DMing as Keyleth being cocky. (Matt having to use a dice app because it was 100d6 dmg was a beautiful moment)

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

In total fairness, per the DMG, falling damage is supposed to cap at 20d6 (200 feet). Also in total fairness, that's completely dumb and if you jump off a 1000 foot cliff, you deserve everything you get.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, most of Matt's flubs or house-rules I have no problem whatsoever with. Case in point, when Scanlan used Dimension Door to bypass the Prismatic Wall, I had no problem with either response he considered (treating it as slamming into all the layers one by one, or allowing the player to do something really cool by explicitly looking at the text of the spell). The only time I've raised an eyebrow was letting Keyleth keep using beast shape after she got hit with feeblemind in the post-campaign battle royal. I get that he was trying to keep her competitive, but you have to consider whether or not an ability makes any sense for a character to be able to use when they're dumber than most animals. (Plus the 20th level removal on the limit of how many times a druid can wild shape is cool, but in that context made her literally unkillable)

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, most of Matt's flubs or house-rules I have no problem whatsoever with. Case in point, when Scanlan used Dimension Door to bypass the Prismatic Wall, I had no problem with either response he considered (treating it as slamming into all the layers one by one, or allowing the player to do something really cool by explicitly looking at the text of the spell). The only time I've raised an eyebrow was letting Keyleth keep using beast shape after she got hit with feeblemind in the post-campaign battle royal. I get that he was trying to keep her competitive, but you have to consider whether or not an ability makes any sense for a character to be able to use when they're dumber than most animals. (Plus the 20th level removal on the limit of how many times a druid can wild shape is cool, but in that context made her literally unkillable)

In the campaign I mentioned last page where I played a Blood Hunter, one of the other players was playing a Druid who tricked the DM (who was new to 5e) into letting him take a homebrew feat which let him Wild Shape as many times as his proficiency modifier per day, which gave him two Elemental shifts per day. Two years on, I blame this for why I have an irrational hatred of Druids in D&D.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teddybear posted:

The little reference back to the last campaign was super cute.

Edit: I just went back and watched the key parts of the episode where Scanlan leaves and holy poo poo I don’t think I’ve laughed as hard as I did at the reveal in a long time. They’re so ANGRY. It’s great watching them realize what they did.

Edit 2: I might go back and watch the whole campaign just for grog. Holy poo poo.

Laura's impotent throwing of a napkin makes me laugh every time. She's so mad, but she doesn't want to actually hurt him, so does the most ineffectual balling up of the napkin and it immediately unfurls.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've been binging s2, on ep 10. I haven't watched a single minute of s1. So I guess I have 10 billion hours of entertainment.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gaz-L posted:

The continued shifts post feeblemind there REALLY bugged me as well, it happened at a time where even if she' stuck in one shape so many people were down and the battlefield conditions were such that she still had a reasonable chance to win it, and after being hit by that high-tier spell it should have put her under rougher conditions. Compare it to Grog where he had to essentially roll a 20 to save against a single spell to stay in the running.

Instead he just says it's a natural ability and right there she's guaranteed to win it, I would have been super pissed if I was a player at the table, but they take it less seriously than I do and they also all definitely knew that they had to completely team up on Keyleth either through stacking up damage in a single round or combining disabling spells on her and they chose not to.

I'm so sad that Ashley wasn't able to be there and play as Pike, I would have cheered so wildly to see her use her guaranteed success divine intervention at level 20 to disable Keyleth's wildshape, or just do insane damage to her followed up by the bonus action spell she used in a previous battle royal to completely own a low hp Keyleth since its effects got increasingly worse the lower your hp was. A Scanlan/Pike team would have been awesome to see in action too, and kind a team dynamic overall with the couples pairing off would have been fun.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Firstborn posted:

I wouldn't even consider Blood Hunter if I was making a "vampire hunter" sort of archetype. I'd sooner be a Paladin, Ranger, or even a Rogue. His Gunslinger class was pretty weak, too, basically a longbow that needed reloading and had a chance to jam.
Even the background mechanics are too niche. In almost every fiction that has undead hunters and stuff, there's always one particular trope that is "monsters hunting monsters" and hurting themselves to do so that I never resonated with. Hunter: the Reckoning comes to mind with the "Martyr", if I'm remembering correctly. Maybe not.

I do like Molly's circus background, too. And I do like that whenever the other players are asking him about circus, he answers some questions but does it in an elegant way to avoid setting some things in stone that Matt may have planned. Whenever this happens, Matt is staring intently as if he's waiting to jump in and correct some detail, but never does. I'm experimenting with letting my players do the same and potentially set small details about the world through their background with my push.

E: Arcane Trickster flavoured as sort of a Pathfinder Inquisitor would be cool. Xanathar's Inquisitive is way better.

As the running joke goes in the 5e thread, the answer is always “play a Bard.” Which would totally fit Molly’s circus background! Could go College of Valor or Swords to keep the blades shtick, or Whispers maybe. But maybe Taliesin likes playing unique/homebrew classes, and so long as he and Matt are happy with the results or are willing to tweak as needed, go nuts.

On player/character chat, my tastes definitely tilt toward Travis, Sam, Laura, and Ashley and not as much toward Marisha, Taliesin, and Liam. However, my main takeaways have always been that that’s just a personal taste, and that they all seem like awesome people outside the game, so it’s definitely disheartening to see some of the toxicity that gets thrown their way. (Mostly elsewhere — haven’t seen it in this thread so far.)

Also, Marisha’s Honey Heist one-shot was rad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tal has specifically said he chose blood hunter because he's played every other class in other games, so he wanted something new, and was going to ask Matt to work with him on homebrewing something when he realised the blood hunter worked for his concept.

Also, just got to (s2e13) Nott's big moment where she talks about being the mother in her relationship with Caleb, and I'm not sure whether Laura or Liam's reaction is the best. Laura goes from :staredog: to :allears: but Liam has this big doofy grin which is obviously just pure love for his best bud and both are so :3:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Sion posted:

It sucks, even the Saturday rebroadcast is at 11 PM CET, which would be okay if it was a 1-2 hour show but 4-5 hours is a bit much even so.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Hrmm, there are 2 rebroadcasts after the initial showing, the second one is usually starting between 2pm-3pm CET. Guess that is still just slightly too early unless you take off early on friday.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

ZypherIM posted:

Hrmm, there are 2 rebroadcasts after the initial showing, the second one is usually starting between 2pm-3pm CET. Guess that is still just slightly too early unless you take off early on friday.

3 actually, and they're at ~7 AM friday, ~10PM saturday and then again at ~7AM on sunday. Times in approximate because sometimes the shows run longer or shorter than usual

http://www.wheniscriticalrole.com/rebroadcast has a link to the weekly rebroadcast schedule in PDF form, with all the times in Pacific Day Time, which is 8-9 hours behind CET. They make a new schedule for it each week since their rebroadcast times are all approximate based on how long stuff runs, etc.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I live in EST and work midnights so it's not that Critical Role is on too late for me, it's that it starts at 10pm and I have to be at work at 10:30pm :(

I pay for Alpha though so I just watch it on Friday when I wake up. I like the little extra stuff I get for watching on Alpha like the sidebars and the hp tracker.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

NowonSA posted:

Battle Royale chat

The last battle royale was a real poo poo show. Keyleth's victory was basically assured from outset because everyone (except poor Sam) decided to not fight her. Had they focused fire on her they definitely could have beaten her, but it's like they had all individually decided that it was impossible and were just playing for second place. Taliesin's sole objective was clearly just to kill Scanlan, and Liam's only strategy was to survive as long as possible by staying out of things. Even Travis, who is usually the most entertaining character in the battle royales because of his ridiculous tanking ability, wasted most of his turns exploring the map until he got cheesed with plane shift. Only Sam recognized the big picture but his clutch feeblemind wasn't enough because even after that everyone still didn't fight Keyleth so she was able to just waltz to victory by virtue of her archetype's broken capstone. The entire thing ended up being a huge slog.

The best battle royale was the Tary/Grog/Keyleth/Vex/Percy one. That one had everything, including five draws from the deck of many things, Grog rampaging around the map, Keyleth as a dragon, and Tary playing like a genius.

I loved that Grog was able to escape the two attempts to cheese him by sealing him in the necklace and plane shifting him, because it made for a much more interesting fight. I'm still a bit disappointed that Matt even allowed the players to cheese each other like that since it seems to go against the whole point of the battle royale - and it's not like spellcasters don't already have a huge advantage at higher levels anyway.

In any case, there is a definitely a limit to PvP where it either becomes rocket tag or a slog and I think that the penultimate battle royale was the last sweet spot.

I think that, instead of doing a battle royale, a more interesting special event would have been an endless battle where Matt throws increasingly stronger waves of enemies at the group until they finally collapse or until they beat a Tarrasque or Tiamat or one of the demon gods in Out of the Abyss.

For Vox Machina at level 20, you could have done a full on boss rush with only a few opportunities to heal and restock supplies. Start with K'Varn and then unleash all the other major enemies they fought throughout the campaign (which I'm spoilering because I realize not everyone has watched Campaign 1): the Trial of the Take targets, the Briarwoods, Orthax, Kevdak and his horde, Ripley and her men, Saundor the Archfey, Yenk the Goristro, the Pit Fiend, the Chroma Conclave (probably should be fought separately but I think it's funnier to imagine fighting all five at once just for the sheer absurdity), the kraken, the Briarwoods again, Vecna, and then the ascended Vecna. Give Vox Machina like three breaks where they can gain the benefits of a long rest, heal, and possibly revive the fallen but that's it. That would be balls to the walls insanity.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 7, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

In It For The Tank posted:

Only Sam recognized the big picture but his clutch feeblemind wasn't enough because even after that everyone still didn't fight Keyleth so she was able to just waltz to victory by virtue of her archetype's broken capstone. The entire thing ended up being a huge slog.

It's not really so much that it's inherently broken, but rather that it was both used outright incorrectly the entire time (you can't switch from one form to another immediately; you need to revert to your base form and then change shape again in the next round, like normal) and she was allowed to keep using it after the Feeblemind because ????

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/982694262897823745

A lot of people in the comments seem confused.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Matt's really been getting a lot of work thanks to Critical Role. Larian Studios brought him in to advertise the DM mode in Divinity Original Sin 2 and now this (though this is more just getting Critters to go "Oh hey the gang's in this I should give it a look!").

I'm not sure if this means Vox Machina are gonna make a cameo or if it'll just be a case of the gang voicing NPCs but either way I'm down with that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A bunch of them were voices in the first one so that's not really surprising

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So, uh, did we settle on a good place to jump in on campaign one? Is there an ideal way to skip to the good poo poo or should I just play through?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I dont really recommend jumping in any later than episode 18, or 22 if you want to skip the Trial of the Take episodes (although fair warning, you will miss the intro of some people and villains who come back). Everything after that is more or less important. There's a few breather episodes scattered around but not commonly enough to be worth listing (and always funny enough to watch).

The podcast is a perfectly useful way to catch up if you prefer. You won't miss much. I also had a friend who watched the youtube videos sped up slightly but I can't stand what it does to their voices

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I jumped in on the start of the Briarwood arc and feel like I'm pretty caught up on everything so far

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
With regards to what people said in the preceding pages, about who is or isn't a good player, one thing I find fascinating about CR is that they are a pretty typical DnD group all in all.

Obviously, due to their professional background, the actual acting while in character is generally pretty great, but other than that, they all fall into the typical categories of players you might find in your local RPG group. Well, they don't have the Creep, thankfully. But other than that, they are all pretty relatable, which I think is part of their success. It is essentially your homegame, but on the internet. It especially doesn't get too much into comedy, as some other online stream do.

However, what I find kind of weird, is how some fans seem to hold them as examples of roleplay or make Matt Mercer out to be an exceptional DM. Like, he isn't terrible or anything, but compared to some other people who give DM tips on the Internet, I find his style, well, fine. Same for Tal'dorei. It is a pretty normal homebrew fantasy setting, but I can't imagine it being of any interest to anybody who isn't already a fan.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

e X posted:

With regards to what people said in the preceding pages, about who is or isn't a good player, one thing I find fascinating about CR is that they are a pretty typical DnD group all in all.

Obviously, due to their professional background, the actual acting while in character is generally pretty great, but other than that, they all fall into the typical categories of players you might find in your local RPG group. Well, they don't have the Creep, thankfully. But other than that, they are all pretty relatable, which I think is part of their success. It is essentially your homegame, but on the internet. It especially doesn't get too much into comedy, as some other online stream do.

However, what I find kind of weird, is how some fans seem to hold them as examples of roleplay or make Matt Mercer out to be an exceptional DM. Like, he isn't terrible or anything, but compared to some other people who give DM tips on the Internet, I find his style, well, fine. Same for Tal'dorei. It is a pretty normal homebrew fantasy setting, but I can't imagine it being of any interest to anybody who isn't already a fan.

That reminds me. I've been meaning to ask, is it alright if we talk about other long-form online RPG games here? Critical Role isn't the only one I keep up with. And if there's another thread for that, please point me in the right direction.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Alright, I'll start with Trial of the Take. Thanks y'all.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

Batle Royale and Boss Rush stuff

I agree that the Darrington Battle Royale was the best one they did, part of me was hoping to Scanlan to basically take hiding to the next level by taking that etherealness spell and just sliding down into various areas below the battlefield for 8 hours unable to be hit by much of anything.

The boss rush would have been fun, but also taken a pretty crazy amount of time with what you laid out. Lots of conclave at once sounds cool, but then you'd juggling all those legendary actions on top of normal turns and it'd just be hell. I think you give them the briarwoods, then a Riashan rematch (or all 3 of them at once probably makes for an actually kinda tough fight at level 20 especially with an annoying use of prismatic wall), and then like pre-god Vecna from the top of the tower on a Torrasque. A torrasque has to be somewhere in there since I want Matt to get that off his DM bucket list, maybe he can bust out one during campaign 2 as part of the campaign proper. Just glancing at the stats it's certainly nasty, but I feel like you need to combo it with some kind of annoying spellcaster or cleric to disable people or heal/buff the beasty for it to really cause trouble for a high level party, especially when there are 6 or 7 of them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
5e Tarrasque is basically immune to magic, as I recall. And the DM rolls a d6 if you try and cast at it, and it reflects the spell on a 6, I think.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Godzilla is killable, but it's probably some Extremely Murphy Rules poo poo or super munchkin party.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

5e Tarrasque is basically immune to magic, as I recall. And the DM rolls a d6 if you try and cast at it, and it reflects the spell on a 6, I think.

I mean there is that, but then you have grog attacking three times, Percy going wild with action surges if he needs them, Vax sneak attacking each round and chipping in that tiny bit extra with boots of haste, Vex shooting, I mean they were already mostly a physical damage party anyway so it's hard to picture it lasting more than 10 rounds and that's being a bit generous to the sucker.

It's mostly an action economy thing to me of needing something to supplement it since just a tarrasque even with its legendary actions doesn't seem too rough for an average top-level party, and they seemed better equipped then most since they relied on magic less. You never know how it would go based on the rolls, but I think Grog, Percy, Keyleth, and Scanlan could force it to puke either through big physical hits from within or a big flashy spell or changing into a super useful form with polymorph or more likely true polymorph. If it follows what seems like the standard gameplan of "bite something, try to swallow it, and repeat" and at 3 int I think it would, then it's only a matter of time before Grog gets in the tummy and is able to probably force a puke save every turn. If they don't have Pike it's a lot tougher since there'd be a lot of healing needed.

It's for sure a fight I would have wanted to see, but I don't think the outcome would be in doubt as long as you have Grog, Pike, and the twins. Percy could be screwed by nonmagical weapons immunity if animus jams, and their Vestiges are pretty well suited to beat it up, and they'd have to be fighting it in a tight enclosed space so Percy can't sniper it from 300+ yards away while the twins fly above it shooting it up and throwing daggers.

My current D&D party is Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard, Druid, Fighter, and Gunslinger though so I think we'd have a much rougher go of it even if we fought it as a level 18+ party.

Maybe someday we'll see one of the big beasties on CR, I hold out hope for that fun, fun day. I was sure it was coming at the end of campaign 1 until Matt came up with something far bigger and more terrifying.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 9, 2018

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Episode 13 is up on the YouTubes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone want to set an over/under on how far into Campaign 2 before we see one of the Vestiges show up, btw? (They're actually the coolest thing from the campaign guide, honestly. Not a terribly original idea, but it's still really neat)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
N/m, figured it out

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 10, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Anyone want to set an over/under on how far into Campaign 2 before we see one of the Vestiges show up, btw? (They're actually the coolest thing from the campaign guide, honestly. Not a terribly original idea, but it's still really neat)

I think 50 is a reasonable number to set that at, if we're talking the first time we see one held be either a player or NPC and name-dropped as a vestige. And I'd take the over at 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Finished Trial of the Take and boy, I can tell what y’all meant about Orion. He has to be the most intimidating badass gruffboy interruptorking at the table.