Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
Andrew's murderbug is hilarious and amazing.

Currently the tournament is revealing that unlimited C-bill lances in multiplayer are not that much fun. Which makes me sad; I was hoping for really broken stuff, but it seems to mostly just be 'Atlas x2, KC x2'.

I think I'm going to make the finals super-restrictive to force some more clever lance design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

isildur posted:

Currently the tournament is revealing that unlimited C-bill lances in multiplayer are not that much fun. Which makes me sad; I was hoping for really broken stuff, but it seems to mostly just be 'Atlas x2, KC x2'.

I think I'm going to make the finals super-restrictive to force some more clever lance design.

I only saw basic weapons on the stream. Is it possible to get enhanced weapons in multiplayer, or are those campaign-only? Doubling down on special weapons and gear might be one way to bump up the cost of mechs if the prices support it as a viable option instead of a no-brainer choice. :shobon:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

isildur posted:

is there anyone in the office running 4 king crabs and if so can you pass on my sincere appreciation

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

isildur posted:

Wait, there's no restrictions in multiplayer? What the heck, why would anyone field anything except the absolute best thing then. You gotta get some interesting rules going on if that's the case. Maybe something like "Light mechs only", or "Only one mech of every class"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Wait, there's no restrictions in multiplayer? What the heck, why would anyone field anything except the absolute best thing then. You gotta get some interesting rules going on if that's the case. Maybe something like "Light mechs only", or "Only one mech of every class"

The restrictions in multiplayer are whether it is a stock only lobby, and then a battle size. 15-20-25 million or Unlimited.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't jump to conclusions so quickly. In beta there were various C-bill(points) levels to pick from and you bought your lance to fit that.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh, now I feel kinda dumb.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Anticheese posted:

I only saw basic weapons on the stream. Is it possible to get enhanced weapons in multiplayer, or are those campaign-only? Doubling down on special weapons and gear might be one way to bump up the cost of mechs if the prices support it as a viable option instead of a no-brainer choice. :shobon:

I hope that there's a way to use the campaign mode mech parts and upgraded weapons in MP somewhere down the line, if both players agree.

The Grasshopper does sound like a beautiful thing you can fill with very many guns.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

isildur posted:

Unlimited cbills but force a Light/medium/heavy/assault composition

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
unlimited c-bills but only urbanmechs are allowed. :getin:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Melee (and DFA) only

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Tanks and infantry only.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Ok blue ball thread. Recommend me a good turned based game I haven't played yet.

Plus for shooty over swordy.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Ok blue ball thread. Recommend me a good turned based game I haven't played yet.

Jagged Alliance 2
Silent Storm: Sentinels (even has power armour. It sucks tho)
XCOM classic / EU/EW / 2 with mods
Valkyria Chronicles

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Paingod556 posted:

Jagged Alliance 2
Valkyria Chronicles

Thanks! Haven't played JA in years. Maybe it's time for a replay.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Battle Brothers.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

How Disgusting posted:

Battle Brothers.

It even has a (basic) mercenary simulation thing going on!

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

It even has a (basic) mercenary simulation thing going on!

But can you mod your stuff?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Seconding at least the first Valkyria Chronicles. It’s good stuff. No direct experience with 2 and 3, but 4 will be out for Switch and I know I want that.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Seconding at least the first Valkyria Chronicles. It’s good stuff. No direct experience with 2 and 3, but 4 will be out for Switch and I know I want that.

VC is weird but good stuff.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Thanks! Haven't played JA in years. Maybe it's time for a replay.

1.13 or bust

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Pirate Radar posted:

The first is decent anime My Little Warcrimes- it has tonal issues (beach episode after Magical Jewish Korean genocide) but the story holds up well enough. The actual gameplay is really good, until you find whats OP and then it kinda goes to poo poo.
The second is full on high school shenanigans, gameplay is a bit more involved BUT that just means there's a new OP unit, and an annoying grinding system to level up soldiers and weapons
Third I have no played but I understand is really great, with a penal battalion plus defensive fire is loving brutal.
I had no idea there was a #4, will investigate

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Paingod556 posted:

beach episode after Magical Jewish Korean genocide

Never change, Japan.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Paingod556 posted:

The first is decent anime My Little Warcrimes- it has tonal issues (beach episode after Magical Jewish Korean genocide) but the story holds up well enough. The actual gameplay is really good, until you find whats OP and then it kinda goes to poo poo.
The second is full on high school shenanigans, gameplay is a bit more involved BUT that just means there's a new OP unit, and an annoying grinding system to level up soldiers and weapons
Third I have no played but I understand is really great, with a penal battalion plus defensive fire is loving brutal.
I had no idea there was a #4, will investigate

4 is coming out sometime in the next few months. I’ve been putting off getting a Switch but I’ll probably snag one for it and a few other things.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think 4 is a prequel storywise but not like following the character’s dads or something just happening right at the start of the war

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Play Into The Breach.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Paingod556 posted:

Jagged Alliance 2
Valkyria Chronicles

i've recently been playing valkyria chronicles, to scratch my turn based strat itch till the release of battletech, and i can say that this game gets really challenging

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Play Into The Breach.

Pro tip right here if you haven't logged 50 hours already (like I have).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah IItB is good

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
All good selections but Battle Brothers is the way to go if you've played that list already and haven't played this.

Such a good turn based game.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Echoing Battle Brothers suggestion, forewarning it is a tough game.

Also hot take, Into The Breach is actually a (very good) puzzle game.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Thirding Into the Breach. It's basically.. well, like Battletech meets Fire Emblem meets Pacific Rim. You control a squad of giant robots, fighting off these massive alien creatures, upgrading your mechs and training your pilots and trying to hold off the tide. Great game, form the same people who made Faster Than Light.

Edit: The twist is that it's got a distinct puzzle element, too. Basically when the turn starts, you see whatever moves the enemies are going to make at the end of the turn; your job is to either kill the enemies OR figure out how to use your many interesting abilities to do things like push them out of their firing positions or into acid/water/lava pits, nudge a smaller enemy into attacking the boss monster instead of the corporate tower you're trying to protect, that sort of a thing. There's multiple (I think ten or so?) 'teams' of three mechs, each with their own special abilities; one pushes and throws monsters around a lot, another covers the field in clouds of gas that damages enemies and prevents them from attacking, another is doing something wrong if half the map isn't on fire by turn 3.. that kind of a thing.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 7, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ItB is very much a puzzle tactics game and that's why it's so good

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
It's a very good puzzle game with very solid mechanics but its puzzle nature means it scratches an entirely different itch from Battletech, in spite of having mech type things in it too.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Pirate Radar posted:

First was good but if you knew what you were doing you could take the difficulty and snap it over your knee. Second added a bunch of new stuff but the execution was kind of meh in my opinion. Third was the masterpiece, taking everything from the first two and really ironing it out, and had an interesting theme of playing a penal legion sent on suicide missions. Sadly it never left Japan.

I also didn't know a fourth was coming.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Drake_263 posted:

Thirding Into the Breach. It's basically.. well, like Battletech meets Fire Emblem meets Pacific Rim. You control a squad of giant robots, fighting off these massive alien creatures, upgrading your mechs and training your pilots and trying to hold off the tide. Great game, form the same people who made Faster Than Light.

Edit: The twist is that it's got a distinct puzzle element, too. Basically when the turn starts, you see whatever moves the enemies are going to make at the end of the turn; your job is to either kill the enemies OR figure out how to use your many interesting abilities to do things like push them out of their firing positions or into acid/water/lava pits, nudge a smaller enemy into attacking the boss monster instead of the corporate tower you're trying to protect, that sort of a thing. There's multiple (I think ten or so?) 'teams' of three mechs, each with their own special abilities; one pushes and throws monsters around a lot, another covers the field in clouds of gas that damages enemies and prevents them from attacking, another is doing something wrong if half the map isn't on fire by turn 3.. that kind of a thing.

In to the Breach is so good. Yet another +1 to playing it from me.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Into the breach lets you have a judo mech that can wrassle kaiju around the map, so yeah, pretty worth it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

InAndOutBrennan posted:

What the hell, thread. Why has it taken this long for someone to recommend any of the recent HBS Shadowrun games? Shadrowrun returns is pretty alright, and Dragonfall and Hong Kong are masterpieces.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sorry, kinda thought that was understood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Echoing Battle Brothers suggestion, forewarning it is a tough game.

Also hot take, Into The Breach is actually a (very good) puzzle game.

On Battle Brothers, I had a random event last night where I saved a guy from being tarred and feathered for loving a melon. He admitted to loving the melon. He also offered to join my company, which I of course accepted. He had a mood modifier for a while that was "satisfied his needs with a melon." Good times.