Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Because despite all the good things about Hibana, she only has 21 rounds in her AR. That's literally the one balancing factor built in that is a legit downside. It's a small one in the grand scheme of things and almost nill if you have good accuracy but it's still there.

Hey man don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting what the commentators said. At my skill level it doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to destroy double frost traps mid shield vault? I never seen anyone do it.

Back when I used to play frost, I was a huge fan of the double trap. I've never seen anyone destroy both.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

tjones posted:

It would be worth testing. But vaulting bear traps can be a bit random, and in general are buggy as gently caress.

I've vaulted, anticipated a trap, mag dumped it, visually confirmed it breaking on my screen, have others see the same thing from their end, and still get downed by the now non-existent trap.

With a heavy enough gun, like a DMR or certain shotguns, it's probablyplausible; you would need some insane reaction speed and your gun has to be fast enough while also doing enough damage to break them.

The best part of the Ela nerf is that I no longer have to see her ridiculous model on the victory screen as often.

thebrassthief
Mar 19, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Because despite all the good things about Hibana, she only has 21 rounds in her AR. That's literally the one balancing factor built in that is a legit downside. It's a small one in the grand scheme of things and almost nill if you have good accuracy but it's still there.

Yeah, but she also has the Bearing. If she had to use a pistol it might be a balancing point but it's not.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been playing a lot more Frost lately and I feel like I'm absolutely required to use double traps if I want to catch anymore.
There are way too many players that are good at preemptively shooting while vaulting, so a single trap behind a shield rarely works.

tjones posted:

It would be worth testing. But vaulting bear traps can be a bit random, and in general are buggy as gently caress.

I've vaulted, anticipated a trap, mag dumped it, visually confirmed it breaking on my screen, have others see the same thing from their end, and still get downed by the now non-existent trap.

Are you sure you weren't playing at high/unstable ping?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 6, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

thebrassthief posted:

Yeah, but she also has the Bearing. If she had to use a pistol it might be a balancing point but it's not.

Also, this is a game where 21 bullets is 20 more than you need to kill someone.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I mean, I agree that 21 bullets is definitely a limit to somebody like me, but to a Pro League guy who can merk a dude in a couple of bullets? Not as much. But anyway it's not up to me.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

This shield glitch in casual is pretty rampant and hilarious.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I've been playing a lot more Frost lately and I feel like I'm absolutely required to use double traps if I want to catch anymore.
There are way too many players that are good at preemptively shooting while vaulting, so a single trap behind a shield rarely works.

Are you sure you weren't playing at high/unstable ping?

Anything is possible, and I agree that it is most likely network related. But I would suspect if others in the game saw me break the trap then it's not necessarily a client side only issue.

I don't experience anywhere near the same amount of network issues with other similar small team based arena shooters that I do with R6. Even with the server improvements that Ubi has claimed to have made over the last year, I see a lot of weird things occur and hear a lot of the same complaints from other players.

As far as the trap placement goes, vaulting and quickly peeking at the ground is fairly standard play and expected these days if someone is running Frost.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

A little late, but is there a quick and dirty list of guns that don't suffer too much from having a suppressor on them? I threw one on ela's shotgun a while back and became king poo poo of roam mountain in casual and was wondering if there were others.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

IQ's Aug only loses 3pts of damage with a suppressor which doesn't change the time to kill at all. That's worth running I think as a different option to the 552.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Twitch's gun, at least, can clear two bear traps in one vault. I'd imagine all the other guns are most likely possible to do so, too.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I'm dumb and bad at the game but omg I love Finka's shotgun (silenced). I have no idea why but it's just fun as gently caress.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think you could kill two bear traps with a bunch of guns if you were planning for it, but then if you were planning for it—and so knew they were there—it’s pretty simple to kill bear traps in most positions (especially when they’re oriented vertically doubled up, so they can’t be concealed by the shield/ledge as easily) before making the leap in the first place. I think the advantage of double traps is the surprise at there being two of them, not any actual extra durability.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I always thought the same thing about shields with traps behind them and such. I usually go for more off-the-wall placements, and try to avoid doorways and window ledges, but window ledges can be very good if you can't rappel above them so you need a grenade to get the trap out.

Also placing a trap directly under a hatch works about 80% of the time. I am surprised every time but people keep falling for it. My other, more recent, favourite trick is to put traps underneath chest height impact grenade holes. The enemy team rarely gets to jump through them, but even more rarely do they check it for traps!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
You put the trap next to the door hole so after they walk into the room they strafe into it.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Captainicus posted:

I always thought the same thing about shields with traps behind them and such. I usually go for more off-the-wall placements, and try to avoid doorways and window ledges, but window ledges can be very good if you can't rappel above them so you need a grenade to get the trap out.

Also placing a trap directly under a hatch works about 80% of the time. I am surprised every time but people keep falling for it. My other, more recent, favourite trick is to put traps underneath chest height impact grenade holes. The enemy team rarely gets to jump through them, but even more rarely do they check it for traps!

I place them on black parts of the map or where there's poo poo on the floor already. The shower room on Kanal, the black spots on the carpet on Chalet etc.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
if you are facing people that like to run around constantly and rotate a lot try putting them in hallways that have corners you would rush through without looking at the ground while attacking your own defense

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Man, I finally got around to playing Lesion and this guy is fun.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 7, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Lesion is my most played defense op, I think. His usefulness is amazing if you can stick around an entire round. Also 6 months on from his release other friendly defense ops have a Pavlovian response to the *pshhh bwp* of the trap going off

thebrassthief
Mar 19, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

A little late, but is there a quick and dirty list of guns that don't suffer too much from having a suppressor on them? I threw one on ela's shotgun a while back and became king poo poo of roam mountain in casual and was wondering if there were others.

AUG, FAMAS, and whatever the Russian SMG is lose the least damage of any gun when using a silencer. Anything else is getting into detrimental extra bullet territory.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
That's not right, I remember Frost's 9mm is in the list too. Actually IIRC it's basically the only one that there's literally no difference in shots to kill until you get out to stupid ranges; for the others it's just a negligible difference.

Someone made a chart of it all a year or so back, would be cool to see an updated version.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Koramei posted:

That's not right, I remember Frost's 9mm is in the list too. Actually IIRC it's basically the only one that there's literally no difference in shots to kill until you get out to stupid ranges; for the others it's just a negligible difference.

Someone made a chart of it all a year or so back, would be cool to see an updated version.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/6p5o30/barrel_attachments_guide_including_recommended/

Is this the one you mean? This is what I was going off. :)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I guess that works too, but for the one I was thinking of someone put it all in a nice table and poo poo. Come to think of it I think it was from one of those Siege youtube channels.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Should I put a vertical foregrip on every gun?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
If there's no other option, literally always yes. If it's that vs whatever the other grip is called, it's might be worth picking the one that lets you ADS faster if that's your playstyle, with the rushy ops at least. The only gun you should always pick the ADS grip for is the Korean shotgun though, since recoil is basically meaningless for it.

quote:

I don't feel the benefits of the suppressor are worth the damage reduction and missing out on the recoil reduction provided by other attachments. The only exception is Frost's 9mm SMG, which can't use the other attachments and works well with the suppressor because of its extremely low recoil.

:smug:

To be fair at the level he's playing at, he probably gets a lot less use out of the no damage indicators than most of us do at the lowers tiers.

thebrassthief
Mar 19, 2009

goodness posted:

Yes. Angled grip is personal preference but if you like it you really like it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Koramei posted:

If there's no other option, literally always yes. If it's that vs whatever the other grip is called, it's might be worth picking the one that lets you ADS faster if that's your playstyle, with the rushy ops at least. The only gun you should always pick the ADS grip for is the Korean shotgun though, since recoil is basically meaningless for it.

:smug:

To be fair at the level he's playing at, he probably gets a lot less use out of the no damage indicators than most of us do at the lowers tiers.

At my level it doesn't matter because nobody pays attention to tracers, muzzle flash or kapkan traps :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

goodness posted:

generally if you want to hold angles and win face to face fights then angled grip is the way to go because you benefit more from reduced recoil and will likely already be aiming down the sights

however people that play extremely aggressively and roam around a lot will benefit from angled grip. shotguns especially benefit from this when available - most notably when you are running the godtier silenced Ela shotgun or korean rail gun that will guarenteed hit no matter what. hell, i also used it when i played DMR dokkabei all day because guns like that have practically no recoil as it is.

if you can handle snapshot burst recoil and plan on flanking people using stealth ambush kills to kill them before they know where you are then angled grip is worth it. but as you start to face more and more skilled opponents it starts to have diminishing returns as op4's game sense will make it harder and harder to get behind them untik you learn how to predict stuff like rotations and know all the dumb specific sound ques for hotspots of certain maps. the easiest and best known example of this is camping drum room but there are dozens or areas like this across the game.

angled grip looks better aesthetically though so sometimes i just put it on for tactical steeze

edit: also with finka present you may as well try angled grips if you trust her to use her ability for the team when they push but this is rare outside of ranked and that extra minute makes a huge difference in the active uptime of abilitirs like that

Thief fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 7, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lesion's traps still jumpscare me from time to time

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thief posted:

edit: also with finka present you may as well try angled grips if you trust her to use her ability for the team when they push but this is rare outside of ranked and that extra minute makes a huge difference in the active uptime of abilitirs like that
Finka's ability already makes you ADS like a CoD game so even then turning a weapon into a laser rifle with the vertical grip is probs better

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Flipswitch posted:

Finka's ability already makes you ADS like a CoD game so even then turning a weapon into a laser rifle with the vertical grip is probs better

No recoil with glaz. HNGH.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just once I would want to experience Mira's Vector with a Finka buff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Just once I would want to experience Mira's Vector with a Finka buff.

You can't improve upon perfection.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

itsjustdrew posted:

No recoil with glaz. HNGH.

lol i played buck so much in the first week when finka players were spamming their ability nonstop

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66NjIhIbIXg

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Here is my highest chance I've been at so far. I've even won quite a bit and still didnt Roll a pack.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
After coming from games with long rounds like PUB and Dota, this game is heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jack Trades posted:

You can't improve upon perfection.
Somehow I accidentally killed 3 attackers with one hipfire vector burst :psyduck: