Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nah, the original dinobots were built to look like that, because who wouldn't want to fight alongside robot dinosaurs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think this should explain everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aTbHsZJ9g

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
G1 Transformers had a lot of really hilariously dumb poo poo about how Transformers worked, later shows mostly handwave it with space magic.

maltesh posted:

It isn't, actually. Transformers: Rescue Bots has the most episodes, and is the only Transformers series to have four full seasons.

I'd probably have to go back and do some rewatches to be firm on it, but it's /probably/ my second favorite of the Post-Bay Transformers Series, primarily because of how weird it's willing to get, sometimes.

It's also in the same setting as Transformers: Prime and Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2015), though the crossovers are character cameos, rather than intertwined plots.

I thought Rescue Bots was like, Paw Patrol with Transformers.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

I thought Rescue Bots was like, Paw Patrol with Transformers.

Sort of? It's Transformers for a younger crowd so they help people instead of fighting most of the time.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The Bloop posted:

Beast Wars shows how when they arrived on Earth they sort of automatically scan the area for appropriate vehicle modes, but as they were on prehistoric Earth and there were no vehicles, they got animal forms instead.

Heck, the G1 pilot has Teletraan 1 scanning for new alternate forms and reconfiguring the Transformers based on what it finds.

(It's also the first example of how the Decepticons probably would have won if Starscream hadn't been an impulsive clown, but.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, when they finally visit Cybertron in the G1 cartoon (not long before the movie) to introduce new toys characters, the transformers there turn into cool futuristic space vehicles. The most famous one, the "girl" Autobot, Arcee turns into a pink future motorcycle.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
*sees trap, walks into it anyway*
Arcee was a car and first appeared in The Transformers: The Movie (not getting an official toy until 2008), other female Autobots appeared in the season 2 episode The Search for Alpha Trion and have recently started to get toys in the present Power of the Primes toyline. There was a pink motorcycle Arcee in the Energon toyline, but that's not the same continuity as G1.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

If it helps, it was an unintentional trap. I'm uh, not a TF Nerd and don't know my stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I love how the transformers wiki has a self awareness wookiepedia lacks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Choco1980 posted:

If it helps, it was an unintentional trap. I'm uh, not a TF Nerd and don't know my stuff.

There's a simple rule of thumb that everyone died in Transformers: The Movie and was replaced with new characters. Bumblebee is the only exception as he just got a new paintjob and was renamed Gold Bug.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mokinokaro posted:

Sort of? It's Transformers for a younger crowd so they help people instead of fighting most of the time.

Transformers is Transformers for a younger crowd

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
More Arrested Development retrospectives: Annyong was another weird, kind of tone-deaf character that served to make fun of a version of Korea that had not existed for 30 years at that point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Whiz Palace posted:

More Arrested Development retrospectives: Annyong was another weird, kind of tone-deaf character that served to make fun of a version of Korea that had not existed for 30 years at that point.

But what if he was North Korea?

I can't recall if they ever said what Korea. I do remember a shortwave radio and some kind of spy plotline though.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Iron Crowned posted:

There's a simple rule of thumb that everyone died in Transformers: The Movie and was replaced with new characters. Bumblebee is the only exception as he just got a new paintjob and was renamed Gold Bug.

You buffoon, you absolute clown, Bumblebee became Goldbug when he was rebuilt after the Hate Plague thing which was a third season 2-parter episode "The Return of Optimus Prime" well after the movie!

Jokes aside, yeah they killed off pretty much everyone, probably so they wouldn't have to do license deals with real companies and could just make whatever they wanted and declare it a space car or whatever.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Besesoth posted:

Heck, the G1 pilot has Teletraan 1 scanning for new alternate forms and reconfiguring the Transformers based on what it finds.

(It's also the first example of how the Decepticons probably would have won if Starscream hadn't been an impulsive clown, but.)

The bigger question should be why their original robot forms looked like they had parts from Earth vehicles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZjs1KNlmIg&t=2m42s

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Davros1 posted:

The bigger question should be why their original robot forms looked like they had parts from Earth vehicles

That's just convergent evolution.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Krispy Wafer posted:

But what if he was North Korea?

I can't recall if they ever said what Korea. I do remember a shortwave radio and some kind of spy plotline though.

That was just a red herring to make you think he was North Korean. They flashback to it when his master plan is revealed.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Teletraan 1 obviously chose vehicles that matched the robot forms. Jeez, do they have to spell everything out for you? :colbert:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Black's older stuff is still funny.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

James Woods Fan posted:

Black's older stuff is still funny.

Agreed, but I think you should refer to him as Chris Rock, not just "Black."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

:allears:

It's his little face at the end that makes it

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Sorry just felt like being an old here but Chris Latta is the only Starscream and all post Latta death Transformers are inferior for it TYIA.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Stairs posted:

Sorry just felt like being an old here but Chris Latta is the only Starscream and all post Latta death Transformers are inferior for it TYIA.

I don't know much about the rest of the media franchise but Fall of Cybertron had a pretty great Starscream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q-3A7l_bw4

Whole game was pretty great, really

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Ziv Zulander posted:

I don't know much about the rest of the media franchise but Fall of Cybertron had a pretty great Starscream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q-3A7l_bw4

Whole game was pretty great, really

War for and Fall of Cybertron were fantastic. And then Activision hosed High Moon over and we never got the third game they wanted to do.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

EmmyOk posted:

:allears:

It's his little face at the end that makes it

No the best part is that he gently sets down the statue before taking the seat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weird thing is that in some versions Megatron was originally Cybertron's Spartacus analogue (complete with originally going by Megatronus) and fought for the freedom and rights of the slave castes before the power went to his head. (and shared correspondence with Optimus Prime, then Orion Pax, who was a government archivist who agreed with the need for radical change) Maybe there's a touch of respect.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
If optimus prime is so cool then why did he get his head blown off in 4 million BC by a robotlet?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Volcott posted:

If optimus prime is so cool then why did he get his head blown off in 4 million BC by a robotlet?

For our sins.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

RaspberryCommie posted:

War for and Fall of Cybertron were fantastic. And then Activision hosed High Moon over and we never got the third game they wanted to do.

The second game in the series (can never remember which is which) was pretty great and ramped up to a fantastic last chapter where you're bouncing from perspective to perspective across a massive battle. It basically captured the nostalgia of how I remembered the old cartoon rather than how it actually was.

Shame they merged that universe with some lovely movie tie in game and I don't think there's gonna be a sequel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The first game has the more linear campaigns where you start as the Decepticons loving everything up for the first half and then the Autobots fighting back in the second. The second game switches perspectives a lot, and you can even choose to fight the final boss as Optimus Prime or Megatron. (in which case, the final boss is Megatron or Optimus Prime)

I do love the part where you play as each of the Combaticons and then combine into Bruticus at the end.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do love the part where you play as each of the Combaticons and then combine into Bruticus at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gEgFDWZ0Og

:krad:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The first game has the more linear campaigns where you start as the Decepticons loving everything up for the first half and then the Autobots fighting back in the second. The second game switches perspectives a lot, and you can even choose to fight the final boss as Optimus Prime or Megatron. (in which case, the final boss is Megatron or Optimus Prime)

Fall Of Cybertron is probably the best Transformers game we can reasonably expect to get. Really, the only issues I had with it were that the missions had less replayability than the first game (the first game had three characters you could choose from with different weaponsets) but a better story, and that they used Bruticus rather than Devistator as the combined transformer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Fall of Cybertron is just straight up fantastic and I loved all the gimmicks for each level, like playing as Grimlock and smashing everything as a straight up melee dude, or playing as Optimus in that early level where you call in Metroplex’s artillery to gently caress poo poo up.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

mostlygray posted:

ThunderCats

It was my favorite show as a kid. I watched every episode when I was in 3rd and 4th grade. It was the epitome of television. I worshiped it.

Then, when I was in college, they started playing re-runs on cable. Apparently I blocked out how terrible it was. Ro Bear Berbils, Berbil berries, Snarf. All of those were not in my memory.

I was crushed. In my mind, the show was like watching the most bad-rear end action adventure drama show ever made. I learned, as an adult, why my parents called it trash. I died a little inside.

This happened to me with the animated Beetlejuice series. I used to come home from Kindergarten and after Gargoyles wrapped up, Beetlejuice would come on. I loving loved it. I was in love with Beetlejuice, I wanted to be Beetlejuice and/or Lydia at any given time. I guess the show lineup changed because at some point I just must have abruptly stopped watching it.

In college I randomly looked up an episode on youtube. Holy poo poo it was so bad. Just like that lame, slow humor that probably a lot of shows from that era aimed at young kids had. I mean I love corny jokes but the pacing was just an enormous drag. 5 year old me had really low standards.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sweeperbravo posted:

This happened to me with the animated Beetlejuice series. I used to come home from Kindergarten and after Gargoyles wrapped up, Beetlejuice would come on. I loving loved it. I was in love with Beetlejuice, I wanted to be Beetlejuice and/or Lydia at any given time. I guess the show lineup changed because at some point I just must have abruptly stopped watching it.

In college I randomly looked up an episode on youtube. Holy poo poo it was so bad. Just like that lame, slow humor that probably a lot of shows from that era aimed at young kids had. I mean I love corny jokes but the pacing was just an enormous drag. 5 year old me had really low standards.

Gargoyles however is still extremely good.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Random making of the Transformers derail worse, but in the case of these bots that turn into one embiggened voltron of a bot, what happens mentally? Is Bruticus a separate mind from the five combaticons?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Choco1980 posted:

Random making of the Transformers derail worse, but in the case of these bots that turn into one embiggened voltron of a bot, what happens mentally? Is Bruticus a separate mind from the five combaticons?

It depends on the continuity. The original series seemed to waver between "It's a new personality" and "It's the combined personality of all the individual robots." Robots in Disguise (215) seemed to go with "All the individual robots are in there, and can talk to each other, but still generally control their bodies, with whoever makes up the head as the de-facto leader."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Pick posted:

Gargoyles however is still extremely good.

Up until you get to the season that's just the big gargoyle and cop lady wandering the planet in a rowboat.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Volcott posted:

Up until you get to the season that's just the big gargoyle and cop lady wandering the planet in a rowboat.

The final season when Disney shifted the show from random weekday syndication to ABC saturday morning lineup was a drop in quality, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

sweeperbravo posted:

i just looked up an episode and i had forgotten that they made beetlejuice and lydia a couple. wasnt she barely a teenager in the movie?