Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Maybe I was missing something, but it seemed to me that in MGSV, when you entered an outpost the game wouldn't save until you left the area. Maybe there was a way to manually save and I didn't see it? It was my first MG game so I dunno. I wasn't crazy about having to either do everything perfectly in one go or run out of the immediate area every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Digirat posted:

Bloodborne’s camera is awful

I've twice due to camera fuckery since I posted defending it so I guess I jinxed myself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's the same camera as Dark Souls', which is a problem, because it could barely handle giant fast monsters like Manus in Dark Souls either. I've had it decouple from the player character for a bit in BB. It's easiest to do in the faster elevators.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Seventh Arrow posted:

Maybe I was missing something, but it seemed to me that in MGSV, when you entered an outpost the game wouldn't save until you left the area. Maybe there was a way to manually save and I didn't see it? It was my first MG game so I dunno. I wasn't crazy about having to either do everything perfectly in one go or run out of the immediate area every now and then.

The perfectly part is what you're missing about it. The game's all about options and there's no perfect route through any of the outposts.

If you're trying to savescum, there's no point as everything repopulates and resources are infinite, if you're having trouble finishing an outpost before having to save and quit, you need a different game because some missions are long between checkpoints. If you just keep dying, try different loadouts/approaches it's really not a hard game.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The PS3 Yakuzas are on PSNow, at least in the US.

It's painful, though, because playing yakuza on psnow does drag the games down.

If your connection quality drops too hard (even if the game is still perfectly playable, but is in like 360p) then psnow gives you an entire minute before booting you off the game. 4 and 5 still don't autosave which means you have to save basically any time you make the slightest bit of progress because having that poo poo happen during a cutscene means you have no chance to save before it shuts you down.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Out of the all the missions I unlocked before I stopped playing, it's the only one I didn't S rank because I didn't want to go back and improve on that A rank. It's so looooooong.
Oh yeah, legit. I can't imagine trying to go back and get an S rank on it. I just really like it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing dragging XCOM: Enemy WIthin down is that I am good enough to breeze through Classic difficulty and I can beat XCOM 2 on it's hardest difficulty, but XCOM 1 on Impossible just completely annihilates me in one and a half missions.

Endless fields of dead rookies, a single sectoid dancing on them laughing its rear end off. Mountains of ammo casings for bullets that hit everything but that single sectoid. :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That I can't just go to gamefaqs and get a guide anymore. loving everyone just has YouTube videos where I have to skip around through 20 minutes just to find the location of the 10th scrap in this drat camp.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Len posted:

That I can't just go to gamefaqs and get a guide anymore. loving everyone just has YouTube videos where I have to skip around through 20 minutes just to find the location of the 10th scrap in this drat camp.

Try the specific board for that game. Chances are, someone else has asked about what you're wondering about and already gotten an answer. They also now have a specific question and answer section, too.

It's not always perfect, but I've had some good success with it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Leavemywife posted:

Try the specific board for that game. Chances are, someone else has asked about what you're wondering about and already gotten an answer. They also now have a specific question and answer section, too.

It's not always perfect, but I've had some good success with it.

I just miss the old days where people made guides and didn't expect me to watch them mug for a camera for 20 minutes because they want to be the next pewds :negative:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Off topic a bit but seeing gamefaqs mentioned reminded me of playing Resident Evil 2 back in 1999 an printing off like 50 pages of a walkthrough as I was too dumb to figure out how the game worked. I guess these days you'd just put a let's play on the iPad or something. World's changed :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Convex posted:

Off topic a bit but seeing gamefaqs mentioned reminded me of playing Resident Evil 2 back in 1999 an printing off like 50 pages of a walkthrough as I was too dumb to figure out how the game worked. I guess these days you'd just put a let's play on the iPad or something. World's changed :(

I played through both Dino Crisis and Silent Hill with issues of the Official PlayStation Magazine beside me for their walkthroughs. The silent Hill one is written to get you the worst ending because gently caress you

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There was a Playstation Magazine here that printed an entire walkthrough for FFVIII with all the main dialogue translated. I had one edition that was just the bit where you invade the train and fight the Fake President and it was like, 300 pages, I can only imagine how big the entire series was.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Samuringa posted:

There was a Playstation Magazine here that printed an entire walkthrough for FFVIII with all the main dialogue translated. I had one edition that was just the bit where you invade the train and fight the Fake President and it was like, 300 pages, I can only imagine how big the entire series was.

Oh man FF8 came out in the time when I was beginning to understand english well enough to get everything being said. Spent hours at friends place reading through every text box of that masterpiece, discussing possible meanings like we're watching a Kubrick movie or something. Then the friend started skipping dialogues because he got fed up with the story not making sense, he'd just give me his synopsis which consisted of "this fucker hosed with something and now we gotta go the gently caress over there and now there's a witch". I was mad thinking he was just too dumb to understand the high prose in foreign language.

Turns out the FF8 story just doesn't make a lot of sense and I ended up learning my english from Baldur's Gate 2 - a clearly better choice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It's the same camera as Dark Souls', which is a problem, because it could barely handle giant fast monsters like Manus in Dark Souls either. I've had it decouple from the player character for a bit in BB. It's easiest to do in the faster elevators.

the very first thing you see in dark souls 2, from's previous game, is pillars in a gazebo structure which become transparent when they're in between you and the camera.

Then bloodborne has much more cramped environments which five times as detailed and filled with things that get in the way of the camera, and doesn't fade out anything.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
FF8 came out when I was 17. I got my wisdom teeth out that summer. My dentist was a family friend, so he lent me his PlayStation and a copy of the game, gave me a prescription for painkillers, and sent me on my way.

Let me tell you, the story in that game is transcendent when you're bombed on pain medication. It's still my favorite in the series.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Len posted:

This, but writ large for Paradox games. They're either super easy to grasp (Stellaris) or the mechanics are so obscure that you will literally never figure them out, and the tutorials are so worthless as to be actively unhelpful or even dangerously wrong (CK2, HOI4, presumably EU4).

And searching for any information on how to actually play the loving games is met with "Oh it's really simple. All you have to do is watch a 175 part let's play series on youtube, where all the videos are 45 minutes long and literally nothing is explained."

If you're really lucky then occasionally someone will have a 35 part tutorial series where they delve into weirdly precise detail about all the tiny mechanics in the game that don't matter in the slightest, while glossing over all the actually pertinent information. All the while their channel icon, video descriptions, and the fact that they're a little too eager to show you just how Hitler could have conquered the world give you the uneasy feeling that you're watching a white supremacist explain how to play the game. No I haven't recently tried to get into playing Hearts of Iron 4, why do you ask?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Len posted:

I just miss the old days where people made guides and didn't expect me to watch them mug for a camera for 20 minutes because they want to be the next pewds :negative:

Nonsense, there's plenty of alternatives to Youtube walkthroughs.

Like an incomplete wikia page that has clear, concise pointers for every collectible, with screenshots, except for the one you're looking for.

Or the IGN wiki guide, which turns out to be the exact same information copy/pasted from the wikia, with the same collectible missing.

Okay fine, looks somebody did write a guide on GameFAQs. Oh wait, they have the worst sense of direction ever, don't know right from left, and all of their hints are vague nonsense like "look for a brown building, the scrap is behind there".

:negative:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Digirat posted:

the very first thing you see in dark souls 2, from's previous game, is pillars in a gazebo structure which become transparent when they're in between you and the camera.

Then bloodborne has much more cramped environments which five times as detailed and filled with things that get in the way of the camera, and doesn't fade out anything.

I swear every new Souls entry fucks up something a previous title had solved. DS1 might be the exception, but I've probably just forgotten something.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

the best part of metal gear solid v is using a custom soundtrack with miley cyrus and running around mother base punching the poo poo outta everyone you see, then when miley cyrus comes in like a wrecking ball, diving off the edge of the platform into the shark infested waters of the seychelle islands and dying

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Convex posted:

I printed out loot tables for PSO. There are entire weapon types 99% of players will never see even if with other players. Some will never even have the chance to drop based on your name, since that generates your ID, thus your loot table.

quote:

It's really a shame DS3 essentially threw DS2 in the garbage.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Where it belonged

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
no one was getting paid for those gamefaqs guides right? why would someone make all those insanely detailed, book-length game guides for free?

(the answer is autism)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RBA Starblade posted:

I printed out loot tables for PSO. There are entire weapon types 99% of players will never see even if with other players. Some will never even have the chance to drop based on your name, since that generates your ID, thus your loot table.

PSO was freaking amazing. The realization that I was playing with other people from the internet, on my TV, in a video game blew my mind in 2000 and is a totally unreproducible experience today.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I have one of those free trial accounts in World of Warcraft so that if I'm ever tempted to re-reg my main account, I can play a free character for a bit and remind myself "oh right, this game is soul-crushingly dull and the gameplay is essentially the same as it was in 2004."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kevin Palpatine posted:

no one was getting paid for those gamefaqs guides right? why would someone make all those insanely detailed, book-length game guides for free?

(the answer is autism)

Internet fame. If you did a really good guide for a game that was really helpful, you were like a god in that community. DSimpson’s BGII guides were good enough I still remember that guy’s username 15 years later.

Now you can make like 500 bucks doing one that’s on their request list.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

There's a few names I recognize from their good quality guides, which is always nice when I'm trying to find something.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The EE version of Baldur's Gate has added steam achievements, which includes the interquel that was released 15 years after the series finished. Ha ha I'm not touching that. I'm all for QoL updates and making old-games run properly on modern hardware, but I stay from new content not made from the original devs made in the original era's state of mind. Similarly the DS version of Chrono Trigger is the definitive experience if you straight-up avoid the bonus content which only serves to dilute the experience.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The EE version of Baldur's Gate has added steam achievements, which includes the interquel that was released 15 years after the series finished. Ha ha I'm not touching that. I'm all for QoL updates and making old-games run properly on modern hardware, but I stay from new content not made from the original devs made in the original era's state of mind. Similarly the DS version of Chrono Trigger is the definitive experience if you straight-up avoid the bonus content which only serves to dilute the experience.
The Chrono Trigger DS extra content has some of the worst decisions I've ever seen in a video game.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Chrono Trigger DS extra content has some of the worst decisions I've ever seen in a video game.

And how!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

John Murdoch posted:

Nonsense, there's plenty of alternatives to Youtube walkthroughs.

Like an incomplete wikia page that has clear, concise pointers for every collectible, with screenshots, except for the one you're looking for.

Or the IGN wiki guide, which turns out to be the exact same information copy/pasted from the wikia, with the same collectible missing.

Okay fine, looks somebody did write a guide on GameFAQs. Oh wait, they have the worst sense of direction ever, don't know right from left, and all of their hints are vague nonsense like "look for a brown building, the scrap is behind there".

I remember I was looking for something in an open world game, and the only FAQ I could find read something like (assume the only thing I needed was collectable 19) "Walk to the red building to get collectable 18. Then turn, collectable 19 is in the opposite direction. Collectable 20 is in the tent behind the armour vendor". No information which direction to turn, how far to walk, nothing. Even if you were working with the guide in hand and following his order to find all of them thats loving unhelpful.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I went to GameFAQs and looked for a walkthrough for Yakuza 0 because I got stuck at the beginning where you get no directions where to go and recognized the FAQ author as the guy who was the mod of the board I frequented in 2004

He was already in his mid-thirties at the time, what are you still doing there, man :psyduck:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kevin Palpatine posted:

(the answer is autism)

They sometimes have "bounties" for certain games. I got a couple gift certificates for writing FAQ's for Crysis Warhead and, uh, Demntium 2 or something, some first person horror game for the DS.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I just can't stop getting myself killed in Bloodborne by being knocked into a wall with just a sliver off health left and having the camera decide to pan past me so I can't tell that I'm actually still alive.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

rodbeard posted:

I just can't stop getting myself killed in Bloodborne by being knocked into a wall with just a sliver off health left and having the camera decide to pan past me so I can't tell that I'm actually still alive.

Slam those vials into your leg until you stop being alive. Bloodborne rewards psychopathic behavior

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah I'm genuinely not sure why your "see if I'm actually dead" reaction doesn't include mashing triangle instead of, uh, waiting patiently or whatever you're doing

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also it's Bloodborne. If you get hit that hard you should be attacking back to try and restore as much health from the attack as you can.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Leavemywife posted:

One thing that is driving me crazy, though, is how any of the guns don't seem to really have much oomph behind them. I'm currently using the grenade launcher, since it does the most damage, but it feels really anemic all the same.
Sorry, this is a pretty old quote, but I love DMC so loving much...

The guns in DMC1 aren't really used for damage, but rather each is used for a more or less specific purpose. Ebony and Ivory are used to juggle enemies and keep combos going, the shotgun is used to slow down and interrupt enemies, the grenade laucher is more for crowd control and building up DT, and Nightmare Beta deals good damge, but only when using DT. I feel like the design of DMC1 doesn't consider guns as primary "moves" (outside of weak points like the Sin masks and the Shadows' topside, and charged shots), but rather tools that complement the melee combat systems.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
I had found that doing jump cancelled grenade shots was basically the most effective thing you could do to enemies besides just spamming air raid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Calaveron posted:

Where it belonged

2 is one of the best entries :colbert: