Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pesky Splinter posted:

BF has released the cover artwork for that Lady Chirstina audio coming out:

I went back to look at this to find the bus of shame, and now I can’t stop looking at her very badly photoshopped neck. Jesus christ, how did this pass any sort of inspection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

I went back to look at this to find the bus of shame, and now I can’t stop looking at her very badly photoshopped neck. Jesus christ, how did this pass any sort of inspection?

C'mon now, she's obviously just wearing a turtleneck made of human flesh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

her very badly photoshopped neck

Oh my God :stonk:

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Oh no she's part Vervoid

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Brave heart, thread.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Or maybe she's secretly Slitheen, and she's only wearing the face skin?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That cover is the most RTD thing to ever RTD.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Forbidden Planet in London are hiding the new Target novels which came out today. They’ve got a big signing Fri 13th with Rusty, Moffat, James Goss, and someone I’ve forgotten, so they’re not putting them out till then. Boooooo.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I got my copies of the novels today. Day of the Doctor has chapter numbers out of order (it starts on 8 - "Night of the Doctor"), which is pretty fun. There's no chapter 9.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m really, really hoping they get Gaiman to do The Doctor’s Wife like he said he would forever ago.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I'm about two thirds through Rose and other than a few obnoxious call backs, i'm enjoying it, even though the parts that differs from my memory of the episode takes a bit of getting used to.

Other than a few things i dislike (the scene with Clive, is a lot better in the episode than the book IMO) It's nice to see Rusty back writing for Doctor Who and see his episode without having to worry about unimportant things like budget and stuff. I liked the living statues moment.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Forbidden Planet in London are hiding the new Target novels which came out today. They’ve got a big signing Fri 13th with Rusty, Moffat, James Goss, and someone I’ve forgotten, so they’re not putting them out till then. Boooooo.

I have the misfortune to be living in London for the next year and I've been in Forbidden Planet twice since I moved. I had previously been once, about 15 years ago, and was amazed on my more recent visits to see that relatively normal people shop there now, and not just guys who look like Cenobite cosplayers.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"The Chimes of Midnight" is cool and good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

:yeah:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Russell T Davies, OBE, one of the most critically acclaimed writers of television, has written only two novels.

Both Doctor Who.

That warms my heart to no end.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Good old Waterstones.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Seems a shame to wait until Christmas to listen to it...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

Seems a shame to wait until Christmas to listen to it...

Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

:hai:

I sometimes think they only put in the awkward and contrived,"Look the name is being replaced by the dust!" bit simply so it wouldn't be a perfect audio.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

cargohills posted:

I got my copies of the novels today. Day of the Doctor has chapter numbers out of order (it starts on 8 - "Night of the Doctor"), which is pretty fun. There's no chapter 9.

:boom:

Guess The Moff is still a bit salty...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

:hai:

I sometimes think they only put in the awkward and contrived,"Look the name is being replaced by the dust!" bit simply so it wouldn't be a perfect audio.

That and all the continuity errors. They NEVER get the year and model of the automobile right!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I thought about buying the Target books online, but then remembered I'll be up in central London next month; I have most if not all of the original Targets, accumulated originally from the local bookstore where I grew up and later when to university. I want to have the pleasure of walking in and picking one or two up as my lunchtime reading, the way I did all those years ago :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I gave all mine away a few years ago to make space on my shelves because I'M A loving MORON :negative:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

EXCELLENT

https://twitter.com/ImJamieAnderson/status/982678479480279041

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Perhaps now that the Mondasian Cybermen have had their moment in the sun the nostalgia wheel can go around and BF can rehab the much maligned 80s Cybermen?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm torn between the second War Doctor box and the second Classic Doctors, New Monsters box. Which should I go for?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm torn between the second War Doctor box and the second Classic Doctors, New Monsters box. Which should I go for?

War Doctor, no contest

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Astroman posted:

Perhaps now that the Mondasian Cybermen have had their moment in the sun the nostalgia wheel can go around and BF can rehab the much maligned 80s Cybermen?
That would be... well, you know.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The second War Doctor set has the stories where Big Finish have been most actually "Time War"-y of all the Time War stuff they've done so far. Plus, more John Hurt! CDNM2 was fine but that's pretty much it, just fine, decent adventures but nothing really revelatory done with the matchups of monsters and Doctors.

So yeah, I'd say War

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Payndz posted:

That would be... well, you know.

They need to brrrring back Rolly-R Cyberrrman. Make make him a companion.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Pssht. They're too busy rehabilitating Class.

(no joke, the cast just uploaded pictures of them recording on Instagram)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

“Gary, we’ve got a problem. Every time I record the cast speaking these days, the mics seem to catch this strange, sort of.. desperate wooden scraping noise at the same time.”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Want more Tom? FOR FREE???

https://twitter.com/Bafflegabble/status/982934043644841984

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

They really are doing everything nobody is asking for, arent they?

I guess as long as the main DW stuff and B7 and Dark Shadows is output at the same rate I could care less.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

They really are doing everything nobody is asking for, arent they?

I guess as long as the main DW stuff and B7 and Dark Shadows is output at the same rate I could care less.

Ouch. Way to backhand Dark Shadows.

(Arrgh Bloodline when!?)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Grabbed, but the fact that its by Paul Magrs (the only person to write an audio I couldn't finish) doesn't fill me with confidence.

Thanks for the link, though!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

After The War posted:

Grabbed, but the fact that its by Paul Magrs (the only person to write an audio I couldn't finish) doesn't fill me with confidence.

Tom seems to love him (Magrs wrote all 15 of Tom's 4th Doctor Adventures for BBC Audio, plus these Baker's End stories)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

After The War posted:

I got the first two, and it was a struggle to get through them. It's not the acting, or the voice work, or the SFX, it's the writing - it feels very clunky.

I wouldn't say Magrs is a bad writer (though he has written some poor ones), but most of what he writes always feels very stodgy - if that makes any sense.

Christ.

I think, sometimes, some things should just stay dead. I know that BF has a stable of talented writers who could do interesting things with the series, but sometimes you've got to ask, "Is there really an audience for this?". Class died on its arse - I don't doubt that BF could do something with it - but do they have the right? Simply not touching the "record button" and that's it. Class ceases to exist. Hundreds of millions of people, thousands of generations can live without fear, in peace, and never even know the show, "Class".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

About introducing kids to classic Who:
https://dalekboy.com/2018/04/08/our-almost-daily-doctor-who-routine/

quote:

This is the thing many adults forget. Children love stories. Effects and budget are only a delivery system for the storytelling.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, huh, the S9 soundtrack has leaked onto YouTube.

• Locked thread